As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] The MOBA.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    About time.

I'm loving listening to Moon, Crit, and iceiceice taking shots at each other on commentary.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Game 5 hyppppeeee.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sumail is fucking STYLING on them as Timbersaw.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Okay VP I get that you're playing a tournament but if someone says "wow bad lag, let us feel it out" maybe don't fucking jump on them. Seems like poor sportsmanship.

• Options
    EG is doing it, apparently. I guess that's why they're TI champions.

Sumail Timbersaw is real.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    USA USA USA

• Options
    Third major tourney win for EG this year. They're pretty good.

And they had to come back from 0-2 down. Nobody does that.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    411Randle wrote: »

...don't they do that? Like every final?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

They typically end up in the loser bracket but I don't think it's super common for them to reverse sweep from 0-2?

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

They typically end up in the loser bracket but I don't think it's super common for them to reverse sweep from 0-2?

It's pretty rare, and probably because -as the player-casters noted several times- PPD was being stubborn and refusing to ban SF or Visage. I think if he had used some targeted bans in that second draft they probably would have won the game.

Peter mentioned that EG has a lot of trouble getting scrims with euro and chinese teams and I would guess that's why every tournament they enter they have to re-learn how to play against those teams for the first few games. But I don't think any other team is as cool under pressure as they are. They don't tilt (except for RTZ, who is apparently still a bit of a piece of shit; wouldn't kill you to say GG..) and they don't panic. All in all, this was a great tourney to watch.

• Options
    I really like that tournament.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    That was some sick, sick Timbersaw play.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I just got wrecked as QoP mid by a Morph, and I still don't get what all of his skills do.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ... nope still don't understand Reddit.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    I am so stupidly excited for SIX POINT EIGHT SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Aw fuck.

I just got LPQ'd.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    Aw fuck.

I just got LPQ'd.

I feel like having LPQ defined on urban dictionary kind of defeats the purpose

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Well. I deserved it I guess. I abandoned.

In my defense, there was a 12-0 PL on the other team, at 10m in. And we had no AOE. And I had other shit to do.

So, you're welcome team.

VishNub on
  • Options
    oooooh, it means low priority queue

silly me

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    The dreaded LPQ. It just takes a couple abandons and then you realise, yes, there is a circle of hell lower than the average rage-filled DOTA game.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    So Valve are just trolling us at this point.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I just had a Pugna tell me he took my early lane farm - me, a Luna - because he "had more lategame potential". Because his Agh's got a few kills in our eventual high ground defence. While I was scraping for items because I couldn't get jackshit in early lane. I just. There's no words. None at all. Like I'm not sure I'm more angry that he wouldn't see reason, or that I'm clearly just as bad a player as this guy who fundamentally just doesn't get it.

I accept that I'm a low MMR scrub and I deserve where I am, but fuck Ranked, I'm not going back there. I'm tired of the players in there, and I'm tired of the attitude it creates in me and in others.

In other news, DOTA Strikers is damn fun, but even there humans are vicious, terrible beings who will tell others to neck themselves because they're learning a video game.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I've had people rage at me in ranked games for all sorts of reasons. If someone is raging, you know they're a bad player, so you can discount everything they say. I usually just mute people after the first negative comment or two. It saves my sanity.

You aren't going to win an argument with a random stranger in a dota match. You have to adapt to the shitty situations your teammates put you in. If Pugna takes all your farm, well save all your gold for a helm of the dominator so you can farm the jungle sooner I guess.

A large part of winning ranked matches is sometimes winning despite the handicaps your teammates impose on you with their horrible, horrible decisions.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Who lanes a Pugna in the same lane as a Luna and thinks that's a good plan?

Rhetorical question, I know.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I've had people rage at me in ranked games for all sorts of reasons. If someone is raging, you know they're a bad player, so you can discount everything they say. I usually just mute people after the first negative comment or two. It saves my sanity.

You aren't going to win an argument with a random stranger in a dota match. You have to adapt to the shitty situations your teammates put you in. If Pugna takes all your farm, well save all your gold for a helm of the dominator so you can farm the jungle sooner I guess.

A large part of winning ranked matches is sometimes winning despite the handicaps your teammates impose on you with their horrible, horrible decisions.

Incoming rant. Avert your eyes.
    Funnily enough, that was my plan: rush helm of dom, and go jungle, hoping he could make big plays as an early farmed Pugna when I leave the lane. Unfortunately, QoP mega-fed Sniper in mid, and I didn't really get online fast enough, what with a last pick AM forcing me to try to find my farm in the offlane to begin with. I even tried to stack ancients with a helm creep but Clock invaded our ancients a couple times and the jig was up. And also me being generally bad didn't help any of this, of course. (Gotta be honest with yourself.)

I didn't even really say much to Pugna early on, because I know how those arguments go. I only spoke up when he started blaming our mid QoP for the loss, and claiming that he needed his Agh's to turn the game around. I basically just said that we'd all made mistakes and there was no point finger-pointing - but looking to the future, that his Agh's wouldn't change anything because:

1) Riki having, well, all his abilities and a diffusal blade to fuck with Pugna in so many ways. Side-note: Rikki actually admitted in all-chat he had no idea what Pugna does, so Pugna got lucky there And not a single diffusal charge was used that day.
    2) Clockwork. Just Clockwork.
    3) Omniknight.

And this was a Pugna who was adamant that he was going to support. I should have just shut up and sighed my way to a loss I guess, but speaking as a support main, the shit I hate the most in Ranked is when some player is adamant they're going to support, and then they basically just run a stealth core and fuck up any chance for the actual cores to find farm. Bad carries - the afk farmers, the feeders, the improperly-rush-situational-Agh's carries - I forget them in a few days. But I still to this day remember the Venomancer who took my farm, the Vengeful Spirit who only told us at minute 10 that she wasn't going support Venge, etc. It just really irks me when players clearly don't understand that the basic dynamic behind the roles in DOTA is there are 3, maybe 4, places to farm between 5 heroes and we can't all be rich you selfish bastard.

And to be honest, it still really irks me that, yes, I am just as bad as these players, just in some way that I can't seem to fix. :(

I think I just need to stick with Normal and learn to have fun with DOTA again. :)

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Who lanes a Pugna in the same lane as a Luna and thinks that's a good plan?

Rhetorical question, I know.

They are both carries. Pugna being played as anything else is silly.

That being said, you can get some stacks in the jungle and catch up with those. That actually applies to both of you ;)

• Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I've been doing mostly ranked seeing as I suck anyways, thinking that if I play ranked people would be more inclined to make a balanced team. Well I was super wrong about that but whatever.

My most recent favorite was a guy que'd to play shaker, I give the ty for support and go seer for off. Then when picking last even though we already had a pl in the safe lane, switches to pa because "we need a carry".

I'm honestly just so confused by the reasoning here. Thankfully the undying and I off just ruined the other team with 6 early kills. And our alch mid dominated. But the entire game was a bitchfest between pa and pl arguing over farm priority while the other 3 took towers. Just so freaking dumb. Even when winning people find a way to argue.

My other laugh is when I'm support and the carry is out of position to lh, so I snag one and then get yelled at. If they aren't close enough to grab it, why be mad that I can now buy the next ward you expect? The mindset of players is beyond bizarre.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options

I love Pugna, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a carry..more of a mid game snowballer.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    They are people incapable of admitting that they made a mistake.

I was just ganked by the entire enemy team? It's not my fault, supports didn't ward properly.
    Losing teamfights? Not my fault, the carry is always pushing another lane, they must be awful!

They're angry that they're losing, and they don't want to admit that the loss might be because of them, so they lash out at everyone. I've had people get upset at me for not targeting specific people during fights when I carry even though we win all exchanges.

To be fair, there are times when your teammates make it extra hard on you. But you can't call them out on it. Morale is a real thing in dota, and if you fight with your team, you decrease your chances of winning.

Some people have a hard time admitting that they can make mistakes. Those are the people who belong below 2K. Winning a game of dota means your team made less mistakes than the enemy. As long as you recognize that you are constantly making mistakes in dota and try to analyze WHAT your mistakes are and HOW you can improve, you will not stay at a low rating. It also takes a lot of time and practice.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options

Dark_Side wrote: »

I love Pugna, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a carry..more of a mid game snowballer.

He is a weird little dude. He needs early farm pretty badly or else he is pretty useless.

• Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    I like the part about mistakes. Good thinking there. I had a shaker game yesterday where I pulled off a good blink-echo as our tusk was rolling in and we wiped their team.

Watching it on replay, we lost 3 to get that team wipe. My mistake was being late to the party, then fissuring for too far out and only catching one of them to try and save a teammate which didn't work anyways. Then I walked too close before the blink to echo.

If I had just let the already dead hero die, then blinked, slammed and fissured, that would have been the only death on our team and we would have been in a better spot. Live, learn and dota. Haha

signature goes here
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

He is a weird little dude. He needs early farm pretty badly or else he is pretty useless.

Yeah, weird for sure. Needs early farm and if you get it, has a 5-7 minute window where he can gank lanes at will and is nearly un-killable with his ult popped. Turn that into an early aghs and it's pretty much game over for the enemy team. But then he starts to fall off as BKB's begin making appearances and enemy supports get big enough to quickly burst him.

• Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

Yeah, weird for sure. Needs early farm and if you get it, has a 5-7 minute window where he can gank lanes at will and is nearly un-killable with his ult popped. Turn that into an early aghs and it's pretty much game over for the enemy team. But then he starts to fall off as BKB's begin making appearances and enemy supports get big enough to quickly burst him.

Aghs/ghost scepter is amazing vs melee carries. You pop decrepify, nether blast, ult, ghost, repeat

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    I just had a Pugna tell me he took my early lane farm - me, a Luna - because he "had more lategame potential". Because his Agh's got a few kills in our eventual high ground defence. While I was scraping for items because I couldn't get jackshit in early lane. I just. There's no words. None at all. Like I'm not sure I'm more angry that he wouldn't see reason, or that I'm clearly just as bad a player as this guy who fundamentally just doesn't get it.

I accept that I'm a low MMR scrub and I deserve where I am, but fuck Ranked, I'm not going back there. I'm tired of the players in there, and I'm tired of the attitude it creates in me and in others.

In other news, DOTA Strikers is damn fun, but even there humans are vicious, terrible beings who will tell others to neck themselves because they're learning a video game.

What does this mean?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Necking is making out.

So that seems biologically improbable.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I thought it was maybe some Aussie euphemism for hanging.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Necking is making out.

So that seems biologically improbable.

So a more pg version of "go fuck yourself"?

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    And Pugna makes a great support! (He also does well in other roles, and where he's best depends on your and the enemy teams composition)

But he has a save/disable+slow with decrep against r-click carries. Ward is just great all the time.

And more people should use his ult to heal your team's carries. It's got good range, so you can stay safe at the back, and it heals so much.

Move to New Zealand