As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DOTA 2] The MOBA.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I like esoteric and tricky things.

Yeah, as crusty around the edges as the game design of Dota 2 has felt at times to me, (I still think Runes and the Bottle item are dumb as shit) I can't think of another moba that has given players the kind of agency and strategic options available to dota 2 players. The esoteric and tricky shit where players sort of broke the game to gain advantages is what I've always felt set it part. (Along with Valve's polish of course)

• JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    The chat thing is a bug.

• SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    On my 16:10 monitor everything is way too tiny. The worst offender is when you click on an ally/enemy. Not only is the information in a completely different place than before, but it seems to be written in size 5 font.

Edit: Just found out you can disable the new target info pop up.
    e69a3f4d3e.jpg

Sceptre on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    So my friends and I played a few last night. After our first two games, we concluded that Monkey King is FUCKING BULLSHIT.

So we theorycrafted some counterpicking team comps against him, and now every time I see someone instalock him, I'm picking Timbersaw offlane and my friend is gonna pick Queen of Pain or Sniper mid.

He might not be OP, he might just be a pubstomper in the same vein as Slark; the type of hero that feels really bullshit to play against when he's having a great game, but if he gets shut down, isn't that great. We'll see.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Anyone else getting motion sick since 7.00 went live? I got it a bit, a teammate got it worse. I only played one game though so I wasn't able to isolate what was causing it. I never had problems before.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Anyone else getting motion sick since 7.00 went live? I got it a bit, a teammate got it worse. I only played one game though so I wasn't able to isolate what was causing it. I never had problems before.

i got it a lot and almost abandoned because of it.

i never had it from dota before either.

also I am sure I need to play more but I felt so lost last night. i dislike the new store layout everything felt cramped on the screen despite more real estate and everything felt all over the place

also new root is a bitch

camo_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Reading over the notes, new patch is too much. Talents? Backpacks? NO MORE ZEUS ULT!?

KoopahTroopah on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Reading over the notes, new patch is too much. Talents? Backpacks? NO MORE ZEUS ULT!?

Zeus still has an ult, scepter just grants him a new global ability that makes a storm cloud that shoots lightning bolts every few seconds.

The talents are really cool though, I view them less as a "always get this one" kind of thing and more like "what am I having trouble with this game? I'll take the talent that helps shore up my weaknesses in this specific game."

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    mts wrote: »

i got it a lot and almost abandoned because of it.

i never had it from dota before either.

also I am sure I need to play more but I felt so lost last night. i dislike the new store layout everything felt cramped on the screen despite more real estate and everything felt all over the place

also new root is a bitch

Skywrath + New Atos is ridiculous, though it took a while to get used to the projectile from Atos.

BlazeFire on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

Zeus still has an ult, scepter just grants him a new global ability that makes a storm cloud that shoots lightning bolts every few seconds.

The talents are really cool though, I view them less as a "always get this one" kind of thing and more like "what am I having trouble with this game? I'll take the talent that helps shore up my weaknesses in this specific game."

Yeah I know he still has an ult, I just have "Zeus Ult!" ingrained in my head since like... 6.3.

KoopahTroopah on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

WHAT?!?

That was the coolest fucking thing about him!

Twitch: Thawmus83
    yea, slark is way better with his leash. since you can't get out of it.

camo_sig.png
  • 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Every thing I've been watching online has shown that Monkey King is in no way balanced. Apparently Skull Basher works with his ult, too, which is just...unfair.

In good news, Purge has done his patch analysis!

It took over eight hours.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

WHAT?!?

he still has his ult

Thawmus wrote: »

WHAT?!?

he still has his ult

his super ult with scepter

camo_sig.png
    Zeus former scepter upgrade was actually really bad. Spending 4200 gold for 215 damage on an ability you can only use every 90 seconds is a waste.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Ah, I see now. That's actually pretty cool now. I was not amused with the Nimbus until I realized it's a 5th spell.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    I also thought it overwrote the ult.

basically it is a global razor ult

camo_sig.png
    I wonder how it would work for split-pushing/wave clear.

Anyone interested in watching pros learn the new patch, DotaPit is running EU qualifiers today. Alliance and OG are both in action.

Things I noted so far from watching: Slark got an indirect buff now that Dark Pact can be used on Ancients, and he farms much faster. SF's range increase skill at level 25 lets him target barracks from Sniper range. Support Slardar, who can Sprint through the jungle grabbing bounty runes, might be a thing now.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
    support slardar has been a thing for a while now.

slarks leash is also a buff since you get jump out of it. you are stuck there

camo_sig.png
    Support Slardar was a limited thing that started gaining traction in Boston, but I mean like, a plague of them.

For reference, Alliance is currently running it and Slardar had boots and Blink at level 5 from only doing pull-throughs and taking bounty runes. Imagine what an actual jungle hero could do.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Aghs sniper is fun as hell. 8 second cooldown (with the proper talent) aoe with a crazy range. You just run out of mana really quickly.

- Man you get gold quick now. Find the pace of the game to be much snappier.

- Golden age of playing a support.

- shrines make going back to base to regen a thing of the past.

- clarity change is my favorite thing of the whole patch. Fuck you range creep that always broke my clarity.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    411Randle wrote: »
    Support Slardar was a limited thing that started gaining traction in Boston, but I mean like, a plague of them.

For reference, Alliance is currently running it and Slardar had boots and Blink at level 5 from only doing pull-throughs and taking bounty runes. Imagine what an actual jungle hero could do.

it definitely seems like they beefed up junglers with the layout .

also even watching the new map makes me a bit motion sick. i wonder if there is a rendering thing or something that got changed. or it coul djust be i have been sick for a while so easy hits me

camo_sig.png
    mts wrote: »
    411Randle wrote: »

it definitely seems like they beefed up junglers with the layout .

also even watching the new map makes me a bit motion sick. i wonder if there is a rendering thing or something that got changed. or it coul djust be i have been sick for a while so easy hits me

so thinking it might be how the camera pans/new things come into frame that gets me.

camo_sig.png
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

There are a couple of things that could be contributing to this.

Check if camera shake is enabled (under advanced camera options).
    Screen flash (which can't be disabled yet)
    There are tree and grass physics which gently sway. You can turn this off under graphics.
    The new UI.
    FPS fluctuations are really common after the update. This ranges from smaller drops (4-10) to mega drops (60+) when people open chat etc.

The new physics for trees and grass affect FPS but they're not the only reason it's fluctuating like crazy. On some machines one core is being overloaded while others are idle unlike 6.88 where CPU load was spread more evenly.

FPS drops are usually consistent over time as you move a camera in games which won't make people sick (though it can happen if people are sensitive). Right now in dota the FPS is bouncing around in the same scene with no changes which can make some people sick more easily. Especially in situations where the game is going from smooth to jittery second to second.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=274205
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/5hx5mr/i_get_motion_sickness_from_playing_700_on_the/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/5i1ats/700_gives_me_headache_every_game/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/5i44q4/700_cpu_0_usage_is_ridiculous_likely_culprit_of/

Alliance are on in Dotapit is on right now. Casters are a little unsure of what is happening after level 10. Just a little.

danx on
    danx wrote: »

There are a couple of things that could be contributing to this.

Check if camera shake is enabled (under advanced camera options).
    Screen flash (which can't be disabled yet)
    There are tree and grass physics which gently sway. You can turn this off under graphics.
    The new UI.
    FPS fluctuations are really common after the update. This ranges from smaller drops (4-10) to mega drops (60+) when people open chat etc.

The new physics for trees and grass affect FPS but they're not the only reason it's fluctuating like crazy. On some machines one core is being overloaded while others are idle unlike 6.88 where CPU load was spread more evenly.

FPS drops are usually consistent over time as you move a camera in games which won't make people sick (though it can happen if people are sensitive). Right now in dota the FPS is bouncing around in the same scene with no changes which can make some people sick more easily. Especially in situations where the game is going from smooth to jittery second to second.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=274205
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/5hx5mr/i_get_motion_sickness_from_playing_700_on_the/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/5i1ats/700_gives_me_headache_every_game/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/5i44q4/700_cpu_0_usage_is_ridiculous_likely_culprit_of/

Alliance are on in Dotapit is on right now. Casters are a little unsure of what is happening. Just a little.

came in here to post pretty much this

camo_sig.png
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna hold off playing til they get this stabilized a bit. This game is frustrating enough when you know what's going on...

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    I was trying to figure out how to create a highlight of a twitch vod to show some UI issues re motion sickness but couldn't find an easy way so I'll link directly to the stream.

Beware of spoilers for last game of dota pit today.

https://www.twitch.tv/dotapit/v/107208136?t=03h20m50s

Look at the Luna portrait as she is stunned and hit by spells. The portrait shake is very distracting.

Just tested it now in demo mode. That happens in game with screen shake disabled. What was the old behaviour?

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Has anyone actually been tricked by Monkey King's disguise?

Or is it meant to be a joke skill?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Has anyone actually been tricked by Monkey King's disguise?

Or is it meant to be a joke skill?

Happened last night on Draskyl's stream. The Monkey King used his disguise on a rune spot and he looked like a rune. Completely fooled Drarksyl's teammate who preceded to get quickly dispatched by the not-actually-a-rune Monkey King. Situational, but definitely usable. Also possibly still meant to be a fun/joke skill.

So far I'm loving everything about this patch. I'm very much in the Purge vein of thinking: All this new stuff is just new stuff to play with and learn and overall these changes add a lot of strategic depth to a game already famous for it's strategic depth.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    the disguise seems like it's most potent when you spam it until you get a tree and then just set up an ambush by hiding close to the treeline

although is he invisible when he's on top of a tree to do basically the same thing?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I like the team composition analyses thing they pretty much stole from overwatch.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I'm playing vs bots now, and I have no idea what's going on. Everything is in a new place.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    I like the team composition analyses thing they pretty much stole from overwatch.

you know team composition things have been around since before Overwatch?

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I'm definitely having to do a lot of pinging to remind people that shrines are a thing.

I like most of the changes but some UI changes look really weird or clunky. Thanks for posting that picture of the Unit Control overlapping the HUD instead of popping up on the left, that was driving me nuts.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I like most of the changes but some UI changes look really weird or clunky. Thanks for posting that picture of the Unit Control overlapping the HUD instead of popping up on the left, that was driving me nuts.

The UI changes, particularly the bit where you have to hold ALT to see your stats and k/d/a, feel like Valve experimenting with just how minimalist they can make things.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    So far I'm loving everything about this patch. I'm very much in the Purge vein of thinking: All this new stuff is just new stuff to play with and learn and overall these changes add a lot of strategic depth to a game already famous for it's strategic depth.

Yeah, it's cool that Icefrog and Valve are willing to shake shit up, take risks, and just kind of throw the final results at the players like "here you go, figure it out I guess?" That might sound like an insult in a way, but it's not. You can look at the opposite end of spectrum to see Riot's heavy hand with LoL, and how much they will enforce an established meta regardless of how the pro teams begin to deviate from it, i.e. the lane swap meta that was such a huge problem. Though in Riot's defense it's not like Ice didn't once nerf a single team from competitive play by sacking jungle creep gold income.

Sprout wrote: »
    I'm definitely having to do a lot of pinging to remind people that shrines are a thing.

My main issue with the shrines is now WHEN to use them. It feels a lot like the scan or glyph, everyone is so worried about being the one to waste it that nobody uses it.