As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DOTA 2] The MOBA.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Probably! The fall one only lasts until the 2nd, I think. I would guess the winter/spring one will drop around mid-January or early February.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Finally got around to playing under 7.00.

1. Zeus was amazingly fun to play. Not that he hasn't in the past, it was just more involved than in the past. Also, BoTs + Eul's + Speed talent = Haste Rune. Like I grabbed a Haste Rune and it conferred no visible benefit to my move speed anymore. And with the extended cast range from lens + talent, I was pushing lanes and counter-pushing (as in, I would throw chain lightning at an enemy push from way too far away for them to engage me) quite a bit, and was able to get a lot more done than I'm used to.

2. I don't know how long it will take me to adjust to the map. I assume it will be months.

3. Despite the adjustment, I love the new map. There is a lot going on in it, and I felt like no matter where I was, there was always something to do. There were always creeps nearby, or a rune to pick up, or a gank to pull off, or a wave to push. Could have been that I was playing with bots, who don't do much jungling or rune grabbing, but it just felt like the map was busier. This also meant that I regularly had trouble keeping up with what was going on.

4. Bots don't pick up the Aegis anymore, and that sucks when I'm playing a hero that has no business taking the Aegis. Oh well, backpack that shit up!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    New Necro is really fun. Sadist was such a boring skill to level.

I mean, I really liked what Sadist gave you - that feeling of a huge influx of health and mana as you killed things - but yeah, it was a boring passive to have until you did something with your actual skills and items.

It's built into his death pulse now.

He's a teamfight monster with that giant aoe slow now. And he gets double healing/mana from greaves in his ghost form

PSN: Canadian_llama
    Got a rampage with Monkey King last night. 300% crit with boundless strike while you have jingu and your ult is hilariously broken .

edited December 2016
    I need to get into the community bots, because the default ones are stupider than they were before. Had an Oracle on my team sit by the Dire Bot T1 tower for the entire match.

Thawmus on
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I need to get into the community bots, because the default ones are stupider than they were before. Had an Oracle on my team sit by the Dire Bot T1 tower for the entire match.

Serious question. Why play with bots?

apart for my first 10 games or so i have never played against them since there are humans to face off against and the game does a fair job at matching you with folks of your skill level.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

apart for my first 10 games or so i have never played against them since there are humans to face off against and the game does a fair job at matching you with folks of your skill level.

As someone who played mostly with bots, the stress level skyrockets when playing with actual people. I can still distinctly remember the time I accidentally went into all pick instead of limited heroes, and it was mostly going fine (aside from our flame-y nightstalker losing some fights he shouldn't have started) but the actual thing that ended the game was me getting caught out of position.

That sort of thing is haunting and intimidating for new players. Bots won't judge you for that.

Other options being "my internet connection is too bad to consistently finish a game" and "I'm too rusty, my mechanics don't actually match my MMR anymore" (the latter of which is the side I'd guess thawmus is coming from).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

They are very broken at the moment, which is annoying.

Alternative reasons to play bots: I want to dotes, but I don't have 90m to dedicate, and I don't want to gamble on a short game. I'm doing something else (cooking dinner usually) at the same time. Or, recently, I have no idea where shit is on the map anymore, and I'm trying to learn that.

As someone who played mostly with bots, the stress level skyrockets when playing with actual people. I can still distinctly remember the time I accidentally went into all pick instead of limited heroes, and it was mostly going fine (aside from our flame-y nightstalker losing some fights he shouldn't have started) but the actual thing that ended the game was me getting caught out of position.

That sort of thing is haunting and intimidating for new players. Bots won't judge you for that.

Other options being "my internet connection is too bad to consistently finish a game" and "I'm too rusty, my mechanics don't actually match my MMR anymore" (the latter of which is the side I'd guess thawmus is coming from).

If you just mute everyone from the start of the match it does wonders. I go though phases where I just mute both teams the minute people start getting salty.

For me, bots play so differently then humans do that it does not feel like dota. Been years though so maybe that's changed a bit.

If you just mute everyone from the start of the match it does wonders. I go though phases where I just mute both teams the minute people start getting salty.

For me, bots play so differently then humans do that it does not feel like dota. Been years though so maybe that's changed a bit.

No, they're still terrible.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

"it does not feel like dota" isn't a sentiment that matters to new players, because we don't know what dota feels like :P

I hate the idea of muting everyone at the start. It's goddamn team game, if we can't play as a team what's the point? And Overwatch has shown it's not implausible to be nice to pubs and have that niceness reciprocated, especially if you push for voice chat (since the vast majority of toxic behavior occurs through text chat).

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

"it does not feel like dota" isn't a sentiment that matters to new players, because we don't know what dota feels like :P

I hate the idea of muting everyone at the start. It's goddamn team game, if we can't play as a team what's the point? And Overwatch has shown it's not implausible to be nice to pubs and have that niceness reciprocated, especially if you push for voice chat (since the vast majority of toxic behavior occurs through text chat).

Dota has a level of toxic behavior that dwarf's any I have seen.

I play overwatch on PS4 and have everyone muted and rank around 3000. Games are 5-15 minutes long vs 45-90 minute games on dota and i think that exacerbates the level of anger people feel when stuck with players that don't math their description of a "good" player.

That being said. 7.00 has brought a breath of fresh air to my dota games communication wise. No one is acting like they know everything and when they do the rest of the team laugh's it off.

Few reasons:

1. I like to play very casually. I have an actual legitimate anxiety disorder, and sometimes it's just not the right day for me to chance assholes. And while muting is a thing that you can do, if I'm going to mute people, I'd rather just play on my own anyways.

2. I tend to take big breaks from the game, and I need to use bot matches to knock the rust off. The rust seems to accumulate quickly and easily. I usually need about 10-20 bot games before I feel comfortable with playing with humans again.

3. MMR and Hidden MMR don't decay, which means that my current skill level won't be represented, which means I'm gonna get crushed, and I'm going to be yelled at by even the nicest player.

4. I'm not getting better at this game, and it's partially because I just don't want to fucking get better at it! I really like the level I'm at, where I feel confident about my strategy, and I can kinda fuck around here and there and not completely ruin shit. I have no interest in stacking camps and queuing couriers, and at my level, it has very, very rare for someone to expect that out of me. I can count on one hand how many times in Single Draft I've been asked to stack a camp or pull a wave. However...as I keep playing, I do get better. And as I get better, I tend to win more, and organize my team more, and help out more, and oh fuck, now I'm playing with people who are 10x better than me. And then I get to deal with 10+ games of getting yelled at and (post-muting) pinged to death. Getting to the point: I don't have this issue with bot games, and taking a break to get worse at the game by playing bot games (which I absolutely do, they tend to encourage the worst fucking habits), tends to help me stay at my humble MMR, where fun and nice players tend to reign.

5. I get to experiment with builds. Really stupid or silly builds, too. And I don't ruin someone's day over it, and I don't get yelled at over it. And experimentation and discovery are kinda the main jollies I get out of gaming.

Echoing: It hasn't changed. They're terrible. They do not gank, they do not help, they will tri-lane and leave mid open if you aren't in the right position at the start of the game, you can accidentally get the entire team to push a tower in the first 2 minutes if you ping an enemy tower, they push mid incessantly from 10:00 until the end of the game, and most recently, they don't pick up Aegis anymore, and they get stuck on the new map, placing wards on a rock they're in love with for the entire match.

I get it. Playing with bots does not really train you for the skills you need to play "live" dota is my only issue.

I suffer from anxiety also and Dota is my "safe" space where I get so hyper focused on the game (for better or worse) the rest of the world melts away.

7.00 is great for experimenting so far. Like, I have only seen carry supports since the patch!

• JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    * Fixed the following panels not appearing: The Hall of Fame, Effigies and PA Arcana gravestones
    * Fixed bugs with Coaching
    * Added some new API calls for Bot Scripting
    * Fixed guides you've published not appearing in your guides list
    * The browse items tab now slides out as a modal panel instead of taking the place of the shop UI
    * Restored Shop purchase hotkeys
    * The pinned TP Scroll now shows a visual cooldown on it to indicate what the current TP cooldown is
    * Fixed various crashes
    * Minor 7.01 gameplay update

====
    * Added Necrophos to CM
    * XP Requirement to go from level 6 to 12 increased by 140 (615/630/645/660/675/775 to 640/660/680/700/720/740)
    * XP Requirement to go from level 12 to 20 increased by 140 (1175/1200/1225/1250/1275/1375/1400/1425 to 1200/1225/1250/1275/1300/1325/1400/1490)
    * XP Requirement to go from level 24 to 25 reduced by 280 (same overall XP required to reach level 25)
    * Fixed Jingu Mastery ignoring armor for its lifesteal calculation
    * Jingu Mastery counter duration reduced from 15 to 10 seconds
    * Boundless Strike critical strike rescaled from 200% to 140/160/180/200%
    * Howl cooldown increased from 50/45/40/35 to 55/50/45/40
    * Howl manacost increased from 15/20/25/30 to 30
    * Lycan Level 10 Talent reduced from +20 Damage to +15 Damage
    * Lycan agility gain reduced from 1.9 to 1.5
    * Familiars HP reduced from 500/750/1000 to 300/500/700
    * Visage base damage reduced by 3
    * Windranger Level 15 Talent increased from +13 Intelligence to +16 Intelligence
    * Windranger Level 15 Talent increased from +150 Health to +200 Health
    * Windrun cooldown from 14 to 13
    * Slark strength reduced from 21 + 1.8 to 20 + 1.6
    * Purification manacost rescaled from 70/90/110/130 to 85/100/115/130
    * Guardian Angel cooldown increased from 150 to 160
    * Invoker Level 15 Talent increased from 20% XP to 25% XP
    * Quas HP regen rescaled from 1.5/3/4.5/6/.. to 1/3/5/7/..
    * Invoker strength gain increased from 1.7 to 1.9
    * Centaur agility gain reduced from 2.0 to 1.6
    * Pit of Malice interval increased from 3.5 to 3.6 seconds
    * Pit of Malice cooldown increased from 30/26/22/18 to 32/28/24/20
    * Nature's Guise bash rescaled from 1/1.4/1.8/2.2 to 0.7/1.2/1.7/2.2
    * Treant Level 25 Talent changed from +20% 2s Bash to -50s Respawn Time
    * Treant Protector movement speed reduced from 300 to 295
    * Stifling Dagger base damage reduced from 70 to 65
    * Luna base armor reduced by 1
    * Reality Rift armor debuff rescaled from -3/4/5/6 to -1/3/5/7
    * Fixed Chaos Strike lifesteal ignoring armor reductions
    * Chaos Strike lifesteal increased from 50% to 65%
    * Nature's Prophet Level 15 Talent increased from +10 Intelligence to +15
    * Nature's Prophet Level 15 Talent increased from +15 Movement Speed to +20
    * Nature's Prophet Level 25 Talent increased from -35s Respawn Time to -40
    * Nature's Prophet Level 25 Talent changed from +6 Treants to 2x Treants HP/Damage
    * Meepo Clones are now allowed to pickup runes
    * Witch Doctor Level 25 Talent increased from +150 Death Ward Attack Range to +175
    * Sven Level 15 Talent increased from +6 all stats to +8
    * Sven Level 15 Talent increased from +15 MS to +20
    * Incapacitating Bite slow increased from 10/20/30/40 to 14/24/34/44%
    * Zeus Level 20 Talent increased from -35s Respawn Time to -40
    * Zeus Level 20 Talent increased from +30 Movement Speed to +35
    * Tusk turn rate improved from 0.5 to 0.7
    * Enchantress base intelligence increased by 3
    * Enchantress Level 10 Talent increased from +15 Movement Speed to +20
    * Enchantress Level 20 Talent increased from -25s Respawn Time to -30s
    * Geminate Attack cooldown from 6/5/4/3 to 7/6/5/3
    * Dream Coil cooldown reduced from 75 to 70/65/60
    * Lina Level 15 Talent increased from +100 Cast Range to +125
    * Lina Level 15 Talent increased from -25s Respawn to -30s
    * Lina Level 20 Talent increased from +5% Spell Amp to 6%
    * Death Prophet level 10 Talent increased from +6 Strength to 7
    * Doom Level 20 Talent increased from +50 Damage to +65
    * Doom Level 20 Talent increased from +20 Health Regen to +25
    * Smokescreen slow from 13/17/21/25% to 10/15/20/25%
    * Ogre Magi movement speed reduced from 295 to 290

Monkey and Treant nerfs are unsurprising but was Lycan an issue?

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    his howl was basically a lower cooldown hand of god that people were spamming constantly (with double effect at night)

Jakorian wrote: »
    * The pinned TP Scroll now shows a visual cooldown on it to indicate what the current TP cooldown is

Do not like. And I don't see any tangible benefit to changing it.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

What? Why would you not like this?

BlazeFire wrote: »

What? Why would you not like this?

I already have a visual cooldown on the item itself!

Basically I had a mental trainwreck when I first encountered it last night. I didn't know why my quick buy scroll was on a cooldown. Long run, it's not even an issue. Last night, I had a nosebleed as I popped the clutch in the middle of a gear shift, and stepped on the gas.

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Great change, no need to keep track of the TPs cooldown just after using the one I had and wondering when to get one at the sideshop.

his howl was basically a lower cooldown hand of god that people were spamming constantly (with double effect at night)

Lycan became better Chen.

Jutranjo wrote: »
    Great change, no need to keep track of the TPs cooldown just after using the one I had and wondering when to get one at the sideshop.

Yea, I'm with you. This is a great change. When I run out of TPs it is nice to know its cooldown without buying one and leaving it in stash.

Jutranjo wrote: »

Yea, I'm with you. This is a great change. When I run out of TPs it is nice to know its cooldown without buying one and leaving it in stash.

Like I said, it's not even an issue post-last-night. Probably also a play preference thing, since I always have 2 scrolls at a minimum in my inventory.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Urgh, I've been having a ton of frustrating matches in solo ranked where it's suuuuper close, and then we lose after 60 minutes. Gah, that's so frustrating.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I get it. Playing with bots does not really train you for the skills you need to play "live" dota is my only issue.

I suffer from anxiety also and Dota is my "safe" space where I get so hyper focused on the game (for better or worse) the rest of the world melts away.

7.00 is great for experimenting so far. Like, I have only seen carry supports since the patch!

I've always seen bot games purely for brushing up on, or learning new mechanics, and testing out different strategies that players would otherwise crucify you for in pub games if you couldn't pull it off...like for example, could I say "fuck it I'm jungling," if my teammates insist on trying to run a tri-lane with my silencer support pick? Or Is cliff jungling with furion actually viable, and so on. It's never a bad idea to brush up on mechanics since effective last hitting is probably the number one, and easiest way, to move up in into the higher ELO tiers.

Dark_Side on
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    I've discovered that Axe is my fun, ez mode hero. I pick him and go offlane if it's free and jungle if not. Start showing up with blink-calls near a careless hero farming a juicy creep wave and eventually become a huge unstoppable object rolling into their base. I'm still terrible at judging my Culling Blades but eh, wins are wins!

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Woke up in time to watch DC vs Wings at ESL Genting.

Ranged Lone Druid. Caster Ember Spirit. Agh's Legion Commander. The pro meta is so weird right now.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
    411Randle wrote: »

Ranged Lone Druid. Caster Ember Spirit. Agh's Legion Commander. The pro meta is so weird right now.

If you take the +40 damage duel L25 talent Aghs becomes viable on LC. Had a long game and had over 700+ duel damage and aghs. I would just duel their main carry and just blow them up.

700 duel damage? Why didn't you end the game? lol

700 duel damage? Why didn't you end the game? lol

Mostly because we had two supports constantly wandering off and getting murdered + really bad team comp to take high ground.

Like, our supports refused to speak in game, where in a party and kept trying to split push instead of grouping up. And the opposing team had a PA that was super fed.

edited January 2017

If you take the +40 damage duel L25 talent Aghs becomes viable on LC. Had a long game and had over 700+ duel damage and aghs. I would just duel their main carry and just blow them up.

Actually, they were using it as an 8-second stun on Wings' Slardar, which let the rest of the team run around unmolested and also forced Wings to use all their stuns to prevent the Slardar from dying. Winning the duel was basically irrelevant, although it might have come into play eventually.

411Randle on
    1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality

Actually, they were using it as an 8-second stun on Wings' Slardar, which let the rest of the team run around unmolested and also forced Wings to use all their stuns to prevent the Slardar from dying. Winning the duel was basically irrelevant, although it might have come into play eventually.

They are clearly better at this whole "dota" thing then I am. ;)

edited January 2017

Ok that sounds nifty. Trading Duel damage to negate a target for the period of the duel. NIFTY.

Also, Game 3, Rubick and Pudge chosen as the two supports. Can we just stop and bow our heads at the fact that two of the coolest heroes in the game can be supports, ON THE SAME TEAM, IN THE SAME GAME, and still be viable. (No Spoilers, haven't finished the game.)

Truly we are living in the best of times.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Digital Chaos just Sunsfann'd their way into winning ESL One. Literally so, because they picked a Centaur for the deciding game.

NA best DOTA.

edited January 2017
    Are pretty much all ranked games AP now? Every time i queue ranked without AP checked, I get 10 minute waits, then give up because a 10 minute queue usually means a shit game.

VishNub on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Digital Chaos just Sunsfann'd their way into winning ESL One. Literally so, because they picked a Centaur for the deciding game.

NA best DOTA.

from what i have seen dc is playing very well on this patch

camo_sig.png

NA best DOTA.

Watching that game made me want to play some Centaur. He seems a lot like Axe and Slardar, and I LOVE me some Axe and Slardar. But alas, I'm trying to narrow my hero pool down right now, not grow it out. Centaur will have to wait.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Day9 series with Purge has started. Missed the stream but the vods are up already. The split is 1 hour or so of lessons from purge, then Day9 plays for good bit followed by purge coming back to talk about Day9s games.

Lesson episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyrC5Ki31c

Practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crAQ5spfmvs

Edit: Purges Afterthoughts coaching session wasn't up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNOsbjqFH1g

danx on
    So my win rate in 7.01 patch over 41 matches is 39%. Ugh. My lifetime winrate is 51%. I'm having trouble adjusting.

I played a bunch of bot games until I got used to the new map. I still find that if you remember to use shrines and bounty runes, you're ahead of most people.