As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] The MOBA.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Summit 8 is on.

Apparently the trick to winning these days is just pick medusa. She's 5-0 so far, and I think similar win rate in my pubs this week.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Even though I'm attracted to AD, I think I just can't afford to queue for it. Every time I do, I only figure out what spell I want a split second AFTER I could have clicked it. And then I end up with the objectively worst build in the match and have a miserable time.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    My strategy is to try to always keep a top 2-3 choices in mind, figuring out a new one when one of them gets picked. That way when my turn comes around I don't have to pick then and there, I already know.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the tip SLyM. I'll try it.

But what I really want to talk about is this:

Tiny's win rates

Look at the disparity in win rates: 42-64%

That is a HUGE difference. The difference between a junk hero and a bullshit OP meta-defining pick, depending on your skill level. I've never seen it. And believe me I've looked around. I've been interested in the difference between skill floor and skill ceiling. I've watched heroes transition from Omniknights to Batriders. But I've never seen an 18% WR difference between low and high-skill on a single hero.

Does anyone have any clue what is going on with Tiny? And I don't just mean "why is he good"? Because I watched his winrate spread before this: it was much flatter. But in the last few patches it's somehow managed to stretch out both at the highest and the lowest level.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip SLyM. I'll try it.

But what I really want to talk about is this:

Tiny's win rates

Look at the disparity in win rates: 42-64%

That is a HUGE difference. The difference between a junk hero and a bullshit OP meta-defining pick, depending on your skill level. I've never seen it. And believe me I've looked around. I've been interested in the difference between skill floor and skill ceiling. I've watched heroes transition from Omniknights to Batriders. But I've never seen an 18% WR difference between low and high-skill on a single hero.

Does anyone have any clue what is going on with Tiny? And I don't just mean "why is he good"? Because I watched his winrate spread before this: it was much flatter. But in the last few patches it's somehow managed to stretch out both at the highest and the lowest level.

It may not only be the hero itself but the supporting team. Enough support to get going /farm/setup / etc. Those are the kind if things you don't see at low skill levels but do at higher

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    there have been similar heroes before, like chen.

he has huge base damage + cleave with the tree, which he's always going to have for early laning. he can get all the last hits (and denies) and even harass a bit similar to tidebringer against melee heroes. on top of that, he still has 2 big-damage stuns. so, a good player who can farm effectively can rush items that let him 1-shot most heroes on the other team every 30 seconds. with decent supports who stack for him, he can also clear out the jungle ezpz and go from ganking to lategame. you can barely even stop him because of his debuff reduction, too!

but a poor player who can't last hit and can't stand up to harassment will miss all the timings and end up with a slow, crappy melee hero who just gets kited around in the midgame and can't do anything else.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    well first dota game of 2018 was a pleasant 80 minute affair where we had to defend against a splitpushing AM, a blink-refresher-bkb shaman, a xmts-spamming kunkka, and a riki who went storm hammer into blink to snipe rax from inside our tree line. good times. (yes, we won)

can't wait till i scrape myself back out of this mmr range. the games have been getting ugly.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Page- wrote: »
    well first dota game of 2018 was a pleasant 80 minute affair where we had to defend against a splitpushing AM, a blink-refresher-bkb shaman, a xmts-spamming kunkka, and a riki who went storm hammer into blink to snipe rax from inside our tree line. good times. (yes, we won)

can't wait till i scrape myself back out of this mmr range. the games have been getting ugly.

Did you have a Treant or were you guys just baller af?

Incidentally, Meteor Hammer Treant is the silliest fun that is also sometimes legit.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Well, finally hit 1000 LD games.
    6FF291FF311FB46A7E2853D2B9EA10C27772451B
    Solid game to finish on too https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/3663024781

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Well, finally hit 1000 LD games.
    6FF291FF311FB46A7E2853D2B9EA10C27772451B
    Solid game to finish on too https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/3663024781

Half of your most played table looks like a list of Bulldog's favourite offlane heroes.

Congrats on the 1000!

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    so apparently you can gain ranks while losing games. interesting.

stream
  • Options
    since I discovered that, the tone of my games have changed dramatically. I'm curious how things will go during my next placement since my rank keeps rising even as my mmr falls. i never believed in the trench myself, but the games are getting goofy as hell where I end up having to carry as the position 5 half the time. at least it's amusing.

stream
  • Options
    i have had such bad lag lately, its becoming almost unplayable

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    So, ESL Genting major is on this week.

Ordinarily I would link you the twitch stream at this point, but as I found out last night there is no (official) twitch stream because ESL made a streaming deal with Facebook, so now the event is only livestreamed on Facebook.

Along with the normal teeth gnashing on reddit, this led numerous prominent players/streamers to host their own viewing parties/casts on twitch, which apparently made the ESL staff very angry?

I guess it's pretty much a choice between Lord Zuckerberg and Lord Bezos.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I get that there's Things At Stake here, but it seems very Teacup Stormy to me.

Also, I'm having an Alchemist phase right now. He has an abominable 37.64% win rate in my bracket but he's just so fun to me. I like that Alch's the kind of carry that takes commitment to pick. You're not picking Spectre here. You have a timing and you must hit it. If you can't then you probably won't win. There is no "oh I'll win because pubs are shit and always go late game". You have to own every loss and, consequently, every win.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    So, ESL Genting major is on this week.

Ordinarily I would link you the twitch stream at this point, but as I found out last night there is no (official) twitch stream because ESL made a streaming deal with Facebook, so now the event is only livestreamed on Facebook.

Along with the normal teeth gnashing on reddit, this led numerous prominent players/streamers to host their own viewing parties/casts on twitch, which apparently made the ESL staff very angry?

I guess it's pretty much a choice between Lord Zuckerberg and Lord Bezos.
    Filing bad DMCA claims and getting a couple of accounts banned. Valve had posted some guidelines, I guess they had to clarify it for ESL:
    Dota Team wrote:
    We’ve been seeing a bunch of discussion regarding DotaTV and want to expand on what we’ve said before.

The first issue we’ve been seeing discussed is regarding DMCA notices. This one is very simple: No one besides Valve is allowed to send DMCA notices for games streamed off of DotaTV that aren’t using the broadcasters’ unique content (camera movements, voice, etc).

The second issue is regarding who is permitted to cast off of DotaTV. We designed the DotaTV guidelines to be flexible in order to allow for up and coming casters, or community figures like BSJ or Bulldog that occasionally watch tournament games on their channel, to be able to stream off of DotaTV. It is not to allow commercial organizations like BTS to compete with the primary stream. It’ll be our judgment alone on who violates this guideline and not any other third party’s.

The Brazilian BTS stream wasn't permissible (though despite ESLs claim they didn't have a Brazilian stream online) but the threats to Bulldog and the DMCA claims against BSJ and MLPDotA were bullshit.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    I think the Valve position is pretty reasonable, although when I looked the unofficial twitch streams had as many as 10x the viewers as the primary Facebook stream. I'm watching VODs the next day, so I don't really care.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    I think the Valve position is pretty reasonable, although when I looked the unofficial twitch streams had as many as 10x the viewers as the primary Facebook stream. I'm watching VODs the next day, so I don't really care.

well the 10x is probably because the facebook streams are terrible

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh good, it's not just me.

I think I compounded things with a chrome extension or setting change a while back (something that allegedly fights the obnoxious failure to buffer videos), but the Facebook video viewer is just a broken piece of shit for me.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    it worked fine the one time i tried it, its just so tiny and i refuse to have to run it full screen to actually see anything.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Has there been any Artifact news since announcement?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

They tried to send a Raven a few weeks ago, but the besieging horde of pissed off gamers shot it down and put it on a pike as a warning against trying that again.

... I don't actually know.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular

nope, all we really know is this:

1. it's a card game
    2. it has some sort of lanes you play cards in
    3. you play hero cards, and then play items on them
    4. might be some sort of lane buff cards

so pretty much nothing other then it's dota the card game.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm actually really excited, probably just because it's a new Valve game.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I'm actually really excited, probably just because it's a new Valve game.

imagine the hat cards you'll get

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    So I decided, after a long time away, to just play a few Bot games last night and.....oh my god the game has changed so much.

So much!

The game is 10x prettier, the map is....I don't know what the fuck happened to the map. There's shrines now? What the fuck are shrines? I dunno, lemme click this bastard.

Oh let me play Nightstalker, always liked him. Why....why the fuck is my "E" an actual button now? Wait, what the fuck, he can fly now?

Crazy. I'm way too busy these days to play this game properly, so there's no way I'm doing anything than the occasional bot match, but holy shit this game moved fast.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Icefrog made a quick announcement that Dota 2 will be moving into a more Agile/Scrum development, and less of a every 6 months re-learn the game patch cycle:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Guys, I just placed the second most next level ward* in my DotA career. Was hiding in the trees below Radiant T2 while Sniper and LS were sieging it. It was night time so I couldn't see the Sniper, or whether anyone else was behind him. My BS tp's in to fight. I quickly drop a ward just past the treeline, within tower range, just so I can spot the Sniper. I see he's alone and blink-Spike-Finger him to death while BS goes after LS.

Felt pretty swish. Especially when another player asked me why I had placed a ward underneath our own tower and I got to sound like a DotA genius.

*The absolute most next level ward I've ever placed - also as Lion at night time - was when I'd just made high ground while running from a Slark. It slowed down his ult-based movement speed enough for me to juke away and turn the gank on him when a buddy turned up. Pretty proud of that one too.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Spring Cleaning Update.

Tons of QOL improvements and updates, player profiles, strategy item pooling, language preference on ranked matchmaking, etc... Pretty sweet.

• Options
    yea i like a lot of them

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLqUOuUOioA&feature=youtu.be

Alright this is hilarious/awesome.

(epicenter qualifier announcement)

VishNub on
  • Options
    first bounty now gives 40 to everyone on teh team. stacking a camp gives a 15% bounty to the person who stacked it but only if someone else clears it

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    first bounty now gives 40 to everyone on teh team. stacking a camp gives a 15% bounty to the person who stacked it but only if someone else clears it

That plus the decrease courier cost is a lot more gold to supports early game

• Options
    mts wrote: »

yea this is definitely a support patch. jungling with a buddy to maximize bonus

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Artifact talk! Cart Art, In Game Alpha Screens, and an off screen 10 second card draw clip.
    Valve announced the first details about Artifact, the Dota 2 card game, in a closed doors presentation today.

Valve President Gabe Newell sat down with members of the games press to reveal the first details about Artifact, the digital card game that was announced during last year's International. The presentation contained a wealth of information about the upcoming game, most important of which is that the game will not be free-to-play like many of its competitors.

The game will feature high production values, novel mechanics (such as a "shopping phase"), and an AI that teaches the player how to play. Newell also stated that opening packs and building your deck will be "a social and competitive experience". Additionally, Artifact will feature a marketplace and workshop, much like the one that Dota 2 players can use to buy and sell in-game items.

Newell also clarified that Artifact is not a Dota 2 card game, but rather a game that uses Dota as a base because of convenience. He went on to say that Artifact will create a lot of content for Dota 2, including "new heroes that will appear in Dota". Much like Dota, Newell says Artifact will not have a single-player campaign, but rather focus on how to play human opponents.

Artifact is currently in closed beta, available only to industry members and TCG professionals. The presentation revealed that Artifact will be released to the public by the end of 2018, with the first tournament in Q1 2019. The game will hit iOS and Android in mid-2019 and will be the first Source 2 title to run on mobile devices.

No exact release date or price was set for Artifact, but details are still coming in.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    No single player? Opportunity lost. If you're going to go to the trouble of making an AI to teach the player to play, you simply make the single player "The All Hero Challenge" where you face off against each of the over a hundred heroes and each has a different deck and AI. I rarely play Hearthstone these days for the PvP only because it's impossible to stay competitive without dropping a good chunk of cash, and even then you might need more cash or dust if you haven't been there from the start.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Apparently we're going to be getting a premium subscription thing for $4 a month?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Dota+. It sounds dumb, and it makes me wonder how prize pools will be affected during internationals and majors.

• Options
    latest patch made visage so much easier to play. you can stone form his familliars from visages bar

camo_sig.png