As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel's Jessica Jones] (Tag your spoilers or face Jessica's snarky wrath)

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited March 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
Marvel's Jessica Jones debuts tonight at 12:00 midnight PST! It'll probably be rad! Early reviews are extremely positive! Yay!

Let us celebrate this potential awesomeness by following respectful spoiler rules!

For the time being, any specific discussion of actual episode details should be spoiler tagged, preferably with the episode being spoiled labeled outside of the tags. This means most of the thread will be in tags for a while. At some point in the future, the thread will be opened into a giant, everything-is-fair-game free-for-all, but for now use tags.

Thank you!

Edit: This thread is now full of spoilers! You are warned!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I've mentioned the opening page to Alias a few times, and how I think they're awesome and should be the opening scene to the show, too, so I went ahead and copied them for the people that haven't read it.
    kJuAJWD.png
    Umh1w4w.png
    SVAlISz.png
    ZdPZMjJ.png

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    I may or may not be clicking refresh obsessively every 30 seconds or so, hoping it goes live just a tiny bit early.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    It's live, go go go.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    It's live! Woo!

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    YESSSSSSSSSSSS

camo_sig2.png

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I don't like the intro but 5 minutes in and I already love her. This phone call is killing me.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Ten minutes into the pilot and I'm already hooked. Ritter was perfectly cast, paying off immediately. It's insane how I'm getting DD vibes from this this early. Love the tone, the noir, Jessica (who I was neutral on in the comics), the dialogue.

I'm going to like this better than Daredevil. She's already far more interesting to me.

Cabezone wrote: »
    I'm going to like this better than Daredevil. She's already far more interesting to me.

Yeah. One episode in and it's already much better than Daredevil (which I also really liked, ftr).

camo_sig2.png

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Laser Eyes

edited November 2015
    I think the oveall cast is much better, which helps a ton.

Cabezone on
    Luke's been in a fair few scenes so far, I'm wondering if we're going to get any actual superheroics out of him.

Rachael Taylor (Trish) has a great American accent, too. I was pretty surprised.

camo_sig2.png

Lorahalo wrote: »
    Luke's been in a fair few scenes so far, I'm wondering if we're going to get any actual superheroics out of him.

I'm guessing maybe a mild showing but they'll save his badassery for his own show.

Lester!

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Geez. Did not expect episode 1 to end like that.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    episode 2, and I'm hooked

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    wow, that's a hell of a way to end episode 1

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    They are doing an amazing job of making Kilgrave terrifying.

Episode 2
    KILL ME

camo_sig2.png

Ep 2
    The bar fight was hilarious. Luke just casually dismantling an entire rugby team while only look slightly annoyed. At least it looks like his powers will actually get mentioned somewhat, considered it's episode 2 and he's already blocking stabs.

Ep 2
    The bar fight was hilarious. Luke just casually dismantling an entire rugby team while only look slightly annoyed. At least it looks like his powers will actually get mentioned somewhat, considered it's episode 2 and he's already blocking stabs.

Ep 1/2
    There was also the "I won't break" "Yes you will." moment during the sex scene, so yeah, they're at the very least dropping hints like that and the bar fight.

camo_sig2.png

Blackjack wrote: »
    Ep 2

Ep 1/2
    There was also the "I won't break" "Yes you will." moment during the sex scene, so yeah, they're at the very least dropping hints like that and the bar fight.

Well I mean it just got even more blatant, what with Luke taking a saw to his stomach and all.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Ep 2

Ep 1/2

Well I mean it just got even more blatant, what with Luke taking a saw to his stomach and all.

You're a touch farther than I am. Stopping to make coffee was clearly a horrible idea. :lol:

camo_sig2.png

I am very pleased she doesn't wear some ridiculous heels.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    End of episode 2:

Now it's back in my head

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2015
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I think the oveall cast is much better, which helps a ton.

I dunno, Daredevil was as much Foggy and Karen and Urich and Fisk's story as Matt's, and those actors all turned in terrific work, while Jessica Jones is front and center of basically nearly every scene in her show so far. Carrie-Ann Moss is doing perfectly solid work and I'm sure Tennant is going to deliver a tour de force but so far I'm not like, 'wow, what an ensemble,' because it doesn't seem to be that kind of show yet.

----

I feel like the lighting and cinematography aren't a big departure from Daredevil so far - they're doing that same thing of strong, defined, contrasty shadows with a big blob of luminous color somewhere in frame setting off everything else. It's a good way to suggest noir in color.

The big difference is the costuming and set design - Daredevil went for a lot of subtly 70s designs and color palettes, because it was evoking the feel of a 70s mob thriller like Serpico. This seems to be going a bit more naturalist.

I'm not huge on the intro, but I love the jazzy incidental music. A smoky trumpet solo playing over a shot of reflected streetlights moving up the hood of a cab is visual grammar from 60 years of detective movies, but it's no less effective for all that. It's the show telling us what kind of show it is.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Taking a short break after episode 2 to do some chores. I'm loving it so far - really moody and low-key, with some great chemistry.
    I loved the bar fight, and Luke just wanting to finish it and get back to work.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    I actually really love the opening. Very reminiscent of Alias's covers.

camo_sig2.png

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Two episodes in so far.

I'm enjoying the build up, it's much more of a slow burn than Daredevil was.

Kelor wrote: »
    Two episodes in so far.

I'm enjoying the build up, it's much more of a slow burn than Daredevil was.

I was actually thinking the exact opposite. I thought Daredevil was a bit slow, whereas this more or less hit the ground running.

camo_sig2.png

Pre-Kilgrave Jessica was a lot like Chloe. "I need to update my resume. Would you put 'day drinking' under Experience or Special Skills?"

camo_sig2.png

Episode 3 thoughts:
    I'm thinking that Kilgrave sent that cop to jump because he suspected Jessica was following him; it seems like a waste of a police officer and potential complication to have a suicide that would be linked to the building he's staying in. Plus the whole Jessica room.

I'm intrigued as to who the mysterious client is - is Kilgrave just toying with her by sending her to investigate Luke?

edited November 2015
    Episode 3 thoughts:
    I'm thinking that Kilgrave sent that cop to jump because he suspected Jessica was following him; it seems like a waste of a police officer and potential complication to have a suicide that would be linked to the building he's staying in. Plus the whole Jessica room.

I'm intrigued as to who the mysterious client is - is Kilgrave just toying with her by sending her to investigate Luke?
    Did someone hire her to investigate Luke? I thought (spoilered because I forget which episode it's from)
    she felt guilty over punching his wife to death and started following him because of it.

Lorahalo on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2015
    Episode 3 thoughts:

I think the suggestion is that there was never a client - Jessica has been stalking Luke on her own time, out of guilt for killing his wife.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Episode 3 thoughts:

I think the suggestion is that there was never a client - Jessica has been stalking Luke on her own time, out of guilt for killing his wife.
    My impression was that Jessica only realised who Luke's wife was when she saw the photo in the medicine cabinet.

Episode 3 thoughts:

My impression was that Jessica only realised who Luke's wife was when she saw the photo in the medicine cabinet.
    No, she knew. She had all those articles about her death, and a picture of Luke at the funeral.

camo_sig2.png

Cool, thanks.

Episode 3 thoughts:

I took it as being her surprise at being confronted with that in the medicine cabinet, but it could be something else. I just didn't picture Jessicahaving a legitimate reason to be up there spying on him.

rRwz9.gif
    Woo! The show has an audio description track for the blind, with the same amazing narrator as Daredevil. You guys have to watch at least the intro with it on. He makes even production company logos sound like SERIOUS BUSINESS.

rRwz9.gif
    edited November 2015
    End of 6
    An obsession with childhood homes is going to be the connecting theme for all of the Defenders shows.

Also, I was ready to call this the weakest episode until the last, like, ten minutes.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png