As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] DEATHRATTLE: ACTIVATE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    If only Brann + Deathwing worked the amusing way: Deathwing kills everything on the board, and then himself.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    hippofant wrote: »
    zakkiel wrote: »
    Inq wrote: »
    This video demonstrates some situations:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jamaxXSBDic

They're wrong when they say "Doesn't work" for Vol'jin.

It clearly does work twice.

It swaps for Nozdormu's health to be a 6/12, then swaps again to make Nozdormu back into a 4/12 and Vol'Jin a 6/2. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a nice interaction, but it does work.

And you're wrong because that's Malygos, not Nozdormu :P

I would have expected Void Terror to eat up FOUR minions around it when played.

Also, saying Kirin-Tor Mage didn't work but Dragon Consort worked isn't consistent - Dragon Consort lowered Hungry Dragon's cost by 4, so it "worked", but apparently the video expects Kirin-Tor Mage to lower the cost of the next TWO secrets by 3 each. (Presumably, it lowered the next secret by 6, but we didn't see the -3 cost.)

When they say "not worked" it doesn't mean "not implemented correctly." More like "no benefit from Brann." All those interactions worked consistently with the rules.

Right. What I'm saying is that if the opponent had Loatheb-ed first, playing Kirin-Tor Mage into a Brann might have changed the secret's cost from 8 to 2. That would have been the correct test to see if Brann had any effect.

Probably not. Kirin Tor says set the cost to 0, not reduce the cost by 3. So secrets will still cost 0 after your opponent used Loatheb.

Inq on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

It swaps for Nozdormu's health to be a 6/12, then swaps again to make Nozdormu back into a 4/12 and Vol'Jin a 6/2. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a nice interaction, but it does work.

Also, saying Kirin-Tor Mage didn't work but Dragon Consort worked isn't consistent - Dragon Consort lowered Hungry Dragon's cost by 4, so it "worked", but apparently the video expects Kirin-Tor Mage to lower the cost of the next TWO secrets by 3 each. (Presumably, it lowered the next secret by 6, but we didn't see the -3 cost.)

When they say "not worked" it doesn't mean "not implemented correctly." More like "no benefit from Brann." All those interactions worked consistently with the rules.

Right. What I'm saying is that if the opponent had Loatheb-ed first, playing Kirin-Tor Mage into a Brann might have changed the secret's cost from 8 to 2. That would have been the correct test to see if Brann had any effect.

Probably not. Kirin Tor says set the cost to 0, not reduce the cost by 3. So secrets will still cost 0 after your opponent used Loatheb.

Derp.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Yeah, Kirin Tor already counters Loatheb. That girl will set your secret to 0 no matter what.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    FYI, I passed the spectator curse onto Dibby

It's his fault I lost twice in a row. Definitely not any of my misplays

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Hmm, Jewelled Scarab in Paladin has all of like, 1 class miss? It can hit:

Coghammer
    Sword of Justice
    Divine Favour
    Muster for Battle
    Seal of Champions
    Aldor Peacekeeper
    Scarlet Purifier
    Warhorse Trainer

Seal of Champions is probably the worst hit in there (at least if you're Control/Midrange), Scarlet Purifier probably does nothing but it is a 4/3 for 3 at worst, and Divine Favour is horrible versus aggro but potentially all the card draw you need in a Control mirror. The rest range from "this is good" to "awesome".

Characters
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Yeah but then you're playing a 1/1 on T2 instead of a Minibot.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    the possibility of one of those cards also has to be better than the guarantee of whatever you're replacing with scarab

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Yeah but then you're playing a 1/1 on T2 instead of a Minibot.

Okay, well, yes it goes without saying you're already playing 2 Minibots in your deck.

Scarab's replacing Thalnos currently. The spelldamage doesn't come up alot, so it's "Filter 1 card from my deck" versus "Give me a 3 drop".

Characters
  • Options
    what paladin deck were you playing thalnos in???

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Control:
    Z6I7WNg.jpg

Characters
  • Options
    yeah i don't agree with thalnos with that list at all, so, good replacement i guess?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    That was interesting. I'm playing against a rogue. He has no minions on the board and I have 30 health and a taunt up. He has 7 cards in his hand and 0 cards left in his deck. And he won. That turn.
    brann, leper gnome, raptor, raptor, shadowstep, raptor, shadowstep, raptor, eviscerate the raptor. 32 damage to face.

I doubt that will ever work again, but it was really impressive.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    So I'm guessing Joust doesn't count as a battlecry? Weird that we didn't get a card that doubles up in joust or enhances it in any way. I mean even a legendary at 10 Mana that is always pulled in joust tests would be nice.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Control:
    Z6I7WNg.jpg

Don't even agree that Emperor is necessarily a good card in that deck. He performs better with decks that can get massive value through card draw.
    Same with Brann. There's like 4 cards in there that benefit from Brann.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Azure Drake, GoK, Dr Boom, Quartermaster, Jeweled Scarab

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    creeped into rank 3 with rogue. may make the legend push after all.

it's funny because it's a board control deck but somehow you can actually make comebacks. fan of knives is good of course especially with spell power but it really seems to be the deathrattles + argus. a single silence can hurt you early but there's never enough as the game goes on.

you can actually fall behind on board and fight your way back in just by building your own board up better. it's fun! dragon priest allowed the same thing SOMETIMES because the taunts and high health would allow for multiple good trades, but usually holy nova would have something to do with it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Holy Shit i just realized how awesome Bran would be in Fog Paladin. Healbots for 16 health and GoKs for 12?!

Edit: Tuskarrs for 14! Double Kodoing?!

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    So I'm guessing Joust doesn't count as a battlecry? Weird that we didn't get a card that doubles up in joust or enhances it in any way. I mean even a legendary at 10 Mana that is always pulled in joust tests would be nice.

all joust effects that are Battlecries are Battlecries

jousts that are Deathrattle are not

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Huh

Hmmmmm

• Options
    Control:
    Z6I7WNg.jpg

Don't even agree that Emperor is necessarily a good card in that deck. He performs better with decks that can get massive value through card draw.

I haven't drawn Emperor enough to really say whether I like him or not. He could easily be Sylvanas, which I'm kind of sad about not having.

Brann is there to double my card draw, double my healing, win the game instantly if he gets played with Quartermaster, or just be a sticky 3 drop if I really really need an early minion.

Characters
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Huh

Hmmmmm

brann triggers two jousts, with two separate opportunities to win, if you're curious

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Control:
    Z6I7WNg.jpg

I haven't drawn Emperor enough to really say whether I like him or not. He could easily be Sylvanas, which I'm kind of sad about not having.

Brann is there to double my card draw, double my healing, win the game instantly if he gets played with Quartermaster, or just be a sticky 3 drop if I really really need an early minion.

Hm. Yeah I guess I'm wrong about Brann. How is Keeper of Uldaman performing?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Control:
    Z6I7WNg.jpg

Good enough to drop down to 1 Truesilver to fit them both in. Good enough to play on Turn 4 on curve, or coin out on Turn 3 to trade my 1/1-now-3/3 with their minion and still have a 3/4 on the board. And these are the less-than-completely-amazing uses for it. It has turned Ancient of War into a 3/3, and it kills 4/10 Twilight Drakes by itself (and they can't even silence the Twilight Drake like they could a Giant, because while the Giant turns back into an 8/8, the Twilight Drake turns into a 4/1).

I have yet to draw Keeper and be sad about drawing it, or not gain immediate value on playing it.

The only situation where Keeper is "bad" would be if your opponent has like, a 1/1 and you have no minions, in which case Keeper upgrades their minion since the ability is mandatory. But that's such a strange board state considering you're a Paladin that should be able to have something in play and they apparently have no pressure on you?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Ok yeah I love Brann in Fog Paladin.

Freeze Mage plays Alex. I respond with Humility, Brann, Tuskarr Jouster. I'm back at 29 health and he has a 1/8.

He eventually lost to fatigue even after having an Antonidas turn.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    @Variable -
    Variable wrote: »
    creeped into rank 3 with rogue. may make the legend push after all.

it's funny because it's a board control deck but somehow you can actually make comebacks. fan of knives is good of course especially with spell power but it really seems to be the deathrattles + argus. a single silence can hurt you early but there's never enough as the game goes on.

you can actually fall behind on board and fight your way back in just by building your own board up better. it's fun! dragon priest allowed the same thing SOMETIMES because the taunts and high health would allow for multiple good trades, but usually holy nova would have something to do with it.

I'm running this (you had mentioned he had a deck with no blade flurry or prep, and this is the closest I found)
    http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/decks/mryaguts-season-17-aggro-rogue/

It is ridiculous. People just can't stop me. It's the deck people always tell me face hunter is. So anyway, thanks :)

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    hi is mill rogue good yet
    It is good if you press the magic button that prevents you from queuing into hunters and paladins.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Control:
    Z6I7WNg.jpg

Good enough to drop down to 1 Truesilver to fit them both in. Good enough to play on Turn 4 on curve, or coin out on Turn 3 to trade my 1/1-now-3/3 with their minion and still have a 3/4 on the board. And these are the less-than-completely-amazing uses for it. It has turned Ancient of War into a 3/3, and it kills 4/10 Twilight Drakes by itself (and they can't even silence the Twilight Drake like they could a Giant, because while the Giant turns back into an 8/8, the Twilight Drake turns into a 4/1).

I have yet to draw Keeper and be sad about drawing it, or not gain immediate value on playing it.

The only situation where Keeper is "bad" would be if your opponent has like, a 1/1 and you have no minions, in which case Keeper upgrades their minion since the ability is mandatory. But that's such a strange board state considering you're a Paladin that should be able to have something in play and they apparently have no pressure on you?

God, Keeper of Uldaman is great.

In some ways, it's actually a better version of Aldor, against really big nasty minions. Downsize that Alexstrasza and get a nice value trade, rather than leaving a 1/8 on board (still annoying, even if it only has 1 attack!). It deals with hard-to-kill midrangey minions too, like Druid of the Claw in taunt form.

And then of course, you can also use it on your Dudes to make them Bigger Dudes. You can trade down and use it on something to "heal" it back up (front half of a Sludge Belcher, for example).

Very versatile, very incredible card. I love it. And the 3/4 body ain't too shabby either.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Yea, I almost like it better than Aldor Peacekeeper if only because a 3/3 typically dies to one minion, while whatever I peacekeeper'd might still have 8+ hp.

Characters
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Thought I'd check my win counts by class:
    • Warrior 316
    • Shaman 59
    • Rogue 33
    • Paladin 120
    • Hunter 393
    • Druid 336
    • Warlock 95
    • Mage 291
    • Priest 215

Wow, I really don't play much Shaman or Rogue do I? Which shouldn't be too surprising given how bad they've been recently. Hunter/Druid are that high because of how easy they are to grind to rank 5. Warrior is definitely my overall favorite class though, especially after being able to play Control variations.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    That was interesting. I'm playing against a rogue. He has no minions on the board and I have 30 health and a taunt up. He has 7 cards in his hand and 0 cards left in his deck. And he won. That turn.
    brann, leper gnome, raptor, raptor, shadowstep, raptor, shadowstep, raptor, eviscerate the raptor. 32 damage to face.

I doubt that will ever work again, but it was really impressive.

He probably snitched that from Reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLhRoK7kBNM

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Thought I'd check my win counts by class:

[snip]

Wow, I really don't play much Shaman or Rogue do I? Which shouldn't be too surprising given how bad they've been recently. Hunter/Druid are that high because of how easy they are to grind to rank 5. Warrior is definitely my overall favorite class though, especially after being able to play Control variations.

Man, the grind to gold is sooooo slow. This is where I'm at:
    • Warrior 286
    • Shaman 152
    • Rogue 138
    • Paladin 188
    • Hunter 225
    • Druid 256
    • Warlock 205
    • Mage 182
    • Priest already gold, probably at 700+ at this point

Priest and Warrior obviously my favorites because I'm a dirty control player, Druid and Hunter are the next highest due to their ease of laddering with their midrange versions--though most of those are actually from just before to just after Naxx came out, which was when I was tryharding ladder. And some experiments with token druid and controlly-hunters.

Surprised Paladin is that high, tbh. I've thrown together Pirate Paladin, Healadin, and Midrange pally before, as well as a couple of games of secret when TGT dropped, but a Paladin deck has never stayed in my list for long. And rogue being that low feels weird, because while it doesn't stick around for me like paladin I tend to binge on rogue decks whenever I think of them.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I'd go "Woo! Miracle Rogue's back!" except I'm not sure how the card draw would be in that deck to assemble a 7 card combo.

Characters
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I'd go "Woo! Miracle Rogue's back!" except I'm not sure how the card draw would be in that deck to assemble a 7 card combo.

It wasn't the killing part that killed miracle rogue, it was the draw part. The Leeroy nerf didn't stop it, the Auctioneer one did.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

It wasn't the killing part that killed miracle rogue, it was the draw part. The Leeroy nerf didn't stop it, the Auctioneer one did.

I know, that's why I was questioning the card draw ability of this new Raptor OTK build. The more cards involved in the OTK combo, the more consistent card draw you'd need to guarantee you'd get most/all of the combo realistically. And if you're including 7 cards as part of the combo and things like loot hoarder, I don't know where you're getting enough draw that doesn't compromise things like just staying alive long enough.

Characters
  • Options

I know, that's why I was questioning the card draw ability of this new Raptor OTK build. The more cards involved in the OTK combo, the more consistent card draw you'd need to guarantee you'd get most/all of the combo realistically. And if you're including 7 cards as part of the combo and things like loot hoarder, I don't know where you're getting enough draw that doesn't compromise things like just staying alive long enough.

I haven't actually bothered to watch the video but I think it's more of a "this is a thing you can do", not a "this is a thing you should do".

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

I haven't actually bothered to watch the video but I think it's more of a "this is a thing you can do", not a "this is a thing you should do".

It apparently requires Thaurissan to be on the board to discount your combo cards from what I'm reading, so it's extremely fragile.

Characters
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Note to self: Tuskarr Jousters won't actually heal you in fatigue.

Which should have been obvious I guess.

Anyway, I've been trying out @ObiFett 's fog paladin and enjoying it a lot even though I'm pretty bad with it. Just had a hundred year game against control warrior that ended with me dying and him having 1 health left, despite the fact that he went into fatigue with a shitload of armor due to playing Justicar on curve. I'd have won if 1) I had saved Healbots for fatigue instead of Jousters and 2) if he hadn't had a Dream for his Grommash.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Note to self: Tuskarr Jousters won't actually heal you in fatigue.

Which should have been obvious I guess.

Anyway, I've been trying out ObiFett 's fog paladin and enjoying it a lot even though I'm pretty bad with it. Just had a hundred year game against control warrior that ended with me dying and him having 1 health left, despite the fact that he went into fatigue with a shitload of armor due to playing Justicar on curve. I'd have won if 1) I had saved Healbots for fatigue instead of Jousters and 2) if he hadn't had a Dream for his Grommash.

However, a Jouster is a guaranteed heal if you have a deck (with a minion) and they're on fatigue!

edit: whoops forgot to take out the tag

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

It apparently requires Thaurissan to be on the board to discount your combo cards from what I'm reading, so it's extremely fragile.

pretty much no "requires thaurissan" combos are competitively viable decks

liEt3nH.png