As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Path of Fire expansion to be released on Sept 22!

• TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Is there a generally-accepted "cheapest" ascended armor prefix? I know you can swap ascended stats via Mystic Forge recipes, so I'm wondering if it's cheaper to

a) make Viper's gear for my revenant; or
    b) make a different prefix and stat-swap them in the MF

I'm currently crafting Zintl gear. I think it is Shaman's stats? Then I will switch it to either Viper or Trailblazer or some mix of the two. I've found I'm not good enough to run full Viper of Zerker and since I don't really raid I don't think I need to.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Thanks for the answers! I will look that up.

Lore question here: Is there precedent for people (any race) being (unnaturally?) attuned to the Mists?

I mean, I think we all know how the revenant class got "introduced" to us. But has something like that happened before, canonically? (I'm not sure how canon the Mist wars are from a lore standpoint. Isn't that what we call wuvwuv?)

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    What do you call a Sylvari who's into BDSM?

Collared greens.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

Collared greens.

You need to leaf right now.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

Collared greens.

/r/TrahearneJokes/ is thataway.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    Is there a generally-accepted "cheapest" ascended armor prefix? I know you can swap ascended stats via Mystic Forge recipes, so I'm wondering if it's cheaper to

I'm currently crafting Zintl gear. I think it is Shaman's stats? Then I will switch it to either Viper or Trailblazer or some mix of the two. I've found I'm not good enough to run full Viper of Zerker and since I don't really raid I don't think I need to.

Do be aware that if doing instanced content toughness is one of the factors that goes into whether a mob will attempt to punch you, in particular, in the face. So wearing toughness gear can be counter productive as what little extra you wear only serves to highlight you to the enemy in comparison to your group mates whilst doing little to mitigate the actual damage the instance mobs dish out.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Congrats @Steel Angel on getting the shining blade finished earlier today!

My projects success is somewhat mixed :(
    Legendary armour #4 is pretty much done, waiting on a few buy orders to come in!
    Aurora is now purely on "throw money at it" stage :( After the armour, will have virtually no T3-6, mystic coins or clovers left. GW2Efficiency Estimate is 1.5k gold :bigfrown:
    Legendary armour #5 is not far off from the "do things" stage - 4 raid bosses and 1 day's provisioner tokens.
    Misc Stuff Still would love to kill Xera and Frac 100cm, but looking less likely pre xpac :(

An early reminder pre PoF... Please avoid all story spoilers in guild chat and tag any spoilers as such on the forum

Leandriell on
    Tulabelle wrote: »

Do be aware that if doing instanced content toughness is one of the factors that goes into whether a mob will attempt to punch you, in particular, in the face. So wearing toughness gear can be counter productive as what little extra you wear only serves to highlight you to the enemy in comparison to your group mates whilst doing little to mitigate the actual damage the instance mobs dish out.

Not just instanced content. A few open world mobs use the AI settings to home in on players with high toughness, such as the leyline guardian world boss in bloodstone fens. There have been occasions where some newbie who thought he was playing it safe ended up being chased for a full minute by a boss no one could reliably damage as it kept running out of melee until the boss killed the player.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    edited September 2017
    As Lea mentioned, I wrapped up making my first legendary really late last night.

odZ7

The original plan was to wait a few days and use the 6 mystic coin reward to polish off the mystic tribute but then I tagged along a TD HP train @CorriganX led, decided to finish up the map on a character, and saw I easily had enough money for the rest of what I needed without my balance dipping too low.

I've celebrated by not doing multi AB metas a day or running all my alts through Winterberry harvesting.

The Shining Blade is one of the more expensive ones to put together but a few things really helped.

First off, I had all the clovers I needed thanks to a lot of days hitting the easier PvP and WvW dailies plus monthly login chests and the occasional one from unbound magic prizes. I'm not sure I would have even contemplated a legendary without that part already taken care of.

Fractals also really, really helped. The supply of pure money, t5 and t6 materials, and not having to struggle for a cube of dark energy and matrices helped a ton plus the simple fact that my best way of making money each day varied itself and I enjoy the vast majority of fractal fights (with some notable exceptions like Mai Trin's cannon phases and almost all of Thermanova Reactor but at least those can be done quickly). Having one's primary way of making money not feel like a grind helps a lot. It takes some time and effort to gear up for fractals but even tier 2 fractals are a good return on investment while still being pretty simple and even a full set of ascended armor is much less costly than just one legendary. In fact, I think anyone who works on a legendary without having made a few pieces of ascended armor is a bit crazy (looking at you @Berylline)

I also got lucky and one of my last amalgamated gemstone combines popped out 25 gems instead of 10. Saved quite a bit of time and money.

And Dragon's Stand has a lot of noxious pods near the spider and exalted ruin HPs that a lot of people skip over because they're not next to the waypoints but can make a difference when you need crystalline ore.

Other than that, it was a pretty steady daily routine of hitting the Tequatl for money, the AB meta multiple times a day for an amalgamated gemstone the first time and a bunch of ectos to use or sell all the time, the TD meta once per day for another amalgamated gemstone, a leyline anomaly kill once per day for the mystic coin, and then gathering winterberries on as many alts as I could stomach a day. I think 3 is really the limit before it got frustrating but I pushed it a bit the last few days.

All in all it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been (though I seriously regret selling amalgamated gemstones until I decided I wanted this legendary and really regret having turned the mithril into the 50 lumps of mithrilium into those 50 lumps as well). But I'm definitely not doing it again for a while. My material deposits are spent pretty heavily now to say the least and TD map completion is awful.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    spool32 wrote: »
    Project update!

I completed my ascended warhorn, The North Wind!

I'm just a few items away from completing TWO Mawdreys... one for me, one for Belasco.

I have my Gift of the Raven Spirit for Legendary Nevermore!!!

I need the following things:

Gift of Nevermore
    Gift of Energy: All the non-crystalline dust.
    Gift of the Mists: complete the last two sections of the Gift of Battle reward track, buy enough Memories of Battle for the Gift of War.

Gift of Maguuma Mastery

Gift of Maguuma: two hero points in DS and about half of Tangled Depths.
    Gift of Insights: Itzel and Nuhock masteries 4 and 5, and ley line gliding. This will take a long time because it needs about 50 more mastery points and I only have 15.

Hubris

Well I learned that I shouldn't read wikis late at night because I missed some very important things. Let's do an update! We'll call this "The Shock of Realization" edition:

To Craft Nevermore, I need the following:

Gift of Nevermore
    Gift of Energy: All the non-crystalline dust.
    Gift of the Mists: complete the last two sections of the Gift of Battle reward track, buy enough Memories of Battle for the Gift of War.

Gift of Maguuma Mastery
    Gift of Maguuma: about half of Tangled Depths.
    Gift of Insights: Itzel and Nuhock masteries 4 through 6. To complete this I need 45 additional mastery points.
    A Bloodstone Shard
    250 Crystalline Ingots (these need a Fulgurite, an Amalgamated Gemstone, an ecto, and a Crystalline Ore each)

Mystic Tribute (omg how did I miss this aaaaaaaaaa omg omg)
    Gifts of Condensed Might & Magic: I have less than 45 of the top tier item for any of these Gifts (Blood, Bones, Claws, Fangs, Dust, Scales, Totems, Venom). Additionally I'll need another entire set of dust over and above what the Gift of Energy needs.
    47 Mystic Clovers
    4 Mystic Coins

omg

Here we go, Nevermore update! This is comprehensive and includes what I've completed. :)

The Raven Staff - Complete!
    This Ascended staff, along with the Gift of the Raven Spirit, is the output of the four-stage precursor process. It is itself a huge undertaking...

Gift of Nevermore
    Gift of the Mists
    • Gift of War - Complete!
    • Gift of Battle - Complete!
    • Gift of Glory - Complete!
    • Cube of Stabilized Energy - This needs a Ball of Dark Energy, which means I need to either grind fractals for ascended trinkets that I trash over and over until one pops out, or I have to craft my own ascended weapon and burn it for the 100% chance. Any other suggestions are VERY welcome.
    100 Icy Runestones - Complete!
    Gift of the Raven Spirit - Complete! (this and the Raven Staff are created in the 4-stage Precursor process)
    Gift of Energy: 250/250 Crystalline (T6), 250/250 Incandescent (T5), 133/250 Luminous (T4), 29/250 Radiant (T3)

Gift of Maguuma Mastery
    Gift of Maguuma - Complete!
    This needs you to 100% the four Maguuma maps
    • Gift of the Fleet - Complete!
    • Gift of Tarir - Complete!
    • Gift of the Chak - Complete!
    • Gift of the Jungle - Complete!
    Gift of Insights (91 of 112 req mastery points)
    • Gift of the Exalted - Complete!
    • Gift of Gliding - Complete!
    • Gift of the Nuhock - Need masteries 4-6
    • Gift of the Itzel - need masteries 4-6
    A Bloodstone Shard
    250 Crystalline Ingots (these need a Fulgurite, an Amalgamated Gemstone, an ecto, and a Crystalline Ore each)

Mystic Tribute
    Gift of Condensed Might
    • Gift of Claws - 16/100 Vicious (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Scales - 39/100 Armored (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Bones - 67/100 Ancient (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Fangs - 57/100 Vicious (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    Gift of Condensed Magic
    • Gift of Blood - 35/100 Powerful (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Venom - 79/100 Powerful (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Totems - 21/100 Elaborate (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Dust - 19/100 Crystalline (T6), 85/250 Incandescent (T5), 0/50 Luminous (T4), 0/50 Radiant (T3)
    30/77 Mystic Clovers
    250/250 Mystic Coins - Complete!

spool32 on
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Can't join the guild missions, shame about the NA/EU server thing :(

Jutranjo wrote: »
    Can't join the guild missions, shame about the NA/EU server thing :(

Yep :( Wish they'd lift cross-region content restrictions, at least for instances.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    So was having a conversation last night, about some goals I had kicking around. I had purchased the Lover (precursor for dreamer) a while back. About 300g for it, but never really progressed on it. Used my Gift of Battle to get a Catmander miniature instead. Decided to just stockpile mats for PoF, just in case.

@Berylline is a monster and said "hey you should get around to finishing that legendary shortbow, it'll be fun"

gdFSsB3.jpg

ria3YD6.jpg

Sold everything I had saved up, converted everything I could, Ground out an entire Wuvwuv reward track from 0. BUT SPARKLIES.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    You could have said neigh to that.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

Don't need a Gallup poll to know that people don't like being poor.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I just ran into the most pleasant looking charr of all time.

FHFd3gp.jpg

Also, CONGRATS Corrigan!

Would anyone be willing to help me out with The Bitter Cold (LS3 ep 3, I think- the one requiring you to go into that very cold area)? I was having a really hard time going in solo and was unable to figure out which way I was supposed to go (plus the mob density is pretty high). I have to gather the stuff for the elixir again, first, too.

If possible, it would be late Pacific, around 9pm or so.

Would anyone be willing to help me out with The Bitter Cold (LS3 ep 3, I think- the one requiring you to go into that very cold area)? I was having a really hard time going in solo and was unable to figure out which way I was supposed to go (plus the mob density is pretty high). I have to gather the stuff for the elixir again, first, too.

If I'm around when you're trying it, I'd be glad to help.

edited September 2017

I can't make that time, but I can offer some advice. The eeasiest thing is to take the lava tube that shoots you right into the cave near where you need to be. Much quicker and less mobs than walking!

CorriganX wrote: »
    So was having a conversation last night, about some goals I had kicking around. I had purchased the Lover (precursor for dreamer) a while back. About 300g for it, but never really progressed on it. Used my Gift of Battle to get a Catmander miniature instead. Decided to just stockpile mats for PoF, just in case.

@Berylline is a monster and said "hey you should get around to finishing that legendary shortbow, it'll be fun"

gdFSsB3.jpg

ria3YD6.jpg

Sold everything I had saved up, converted everything I could, Ground out an entire Wuvwuv reward track from 0. BUT SPARKLIES.

Awesome!!

I made some unexpected progress today, I filled in for MYTH's EU-Time raid team and not only got the last LI I needed for armour #5 (and the last thing I needed apart from "throw money at it"), I finally got a non bugged Xera kill \0/ Portal ele ftw? ;)

Leandriell on
    Leandriell wrote: »

I can't make that time, but I can offer some advice. The eeasiest thing is to take the lava tube that shoots you right into the cave near where you need to be. Much quicker and less mobs than walking!

I did take that. The problem is once inside. I have issues navigating normally, and trying to do it with obscuring weather and high mob density and quick respawns did not make any of it fun.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

Oh my god, she literally sparkles

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    vamen wrote: »

Oh my god, she literally sparkles

She also has a tiny human chaos glove where a normal charr arm should be.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Woo, finished the HoT storyline! Guess my wife and I could pick up the LWS3 now, though I don't think we'd get very far in to it by the time PoF comes out.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
    3 more daily resets and we're in PoF time folks! WOO WOO.

n1woEHJ.png

It behooved him to agree though.

Steam Profile
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Did they just add bank access to crafting stations? Or has that been there the whole time and I somehow missed it? It's pretty convenient. This game feels so generous with its quality of life features.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    3 more daily resets and we're in PoF time folks! WOO WOO.

and I am going to be gone on vacation from the 23rd to the 30th... at least I get to play for a few hours on the 22nd

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Taranis wrote: »
    Did they just add bank access to crafting stations? Or has that been there the whole time and I somehow missed it? It's pretty convenient. This game feels so generous with its quality of life features.

Its been there from launch, you've been missing out! Thats one of the two ways you have of accessing your bank in the guild hall, just run up to the scribe station and it functions as a bank with material storage and everything.

You can also use the guild bank, but its kinda shitty. At the top of the guild bank is a dropdown menu between backpack and your account bank. Then you press I to open your regular inventory and you can move stuff from the bank to your regular inventory, but its not very well formatted so its much harder to sort through in the guild bank tab. I always suggest just using the scribe station as a bank when you're in the hall.

n1woEHJ.png
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I cannot afford the upgrade until October :(

I cannot afford the upgrade until October :(

=(

gXtGkjH.jpg

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    fuuuuuuuck I need to do the Mursaat Token Collector achievement after all, because all this berry farming has left me with way too fucking many Empyreal Shards & Dragonite Ore, and Princess + Star of Gratitude isn't cutting it anymore.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    fuuuuuuuck I need to do the Mursaat Token Collector achievement after all, because all this berry farming has left me with way too fucking many Empyreal Shards & Dragonite Ore, and Princess + Star of Gratitude isn't cutting it anymore.

It wasn't too bad, though I definitely got help from a mesmer who was doing the jumping puzzle because there was no way I'd have figured it out/managed it on my own. Plus, if you are still at the story step where
    you have the Mursaat armor

then running around in that part of the map is a breeze.

Keep an eye out for portal-ers to the JP ones, they were the evil-est!

Empyreal shards get used in Toxic Focusing Crystals which sell for a profit even if you buy the dust and spores and has no cooldown beyond needing to buy the recipe off a pact network vendor.

The ore is more problematic. I did the Bloodstone Fens eater to supplement Princess by consuming dragonite ore and bloodstone dust.

Steam Profile
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I just throw all the shards, ore, and dust in the trash since I can't sell or use it

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    I just throw all the shards, ore, and dust in the trash since I can't sell or use it

Might want to look at some of these:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Converter

Steam Profile
    Man there is just sooooo much to do in this game. I should make a list of goals.

I'm only now getting around to doing the Siren's Landing stuff, and I feel bad for putting it off for so long. This zone seems neat.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is the drop rate for exotics (from mobs, bags anything) absolute shit?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
This discussion has been closed.