As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Path of Fire expansion to be released on Sept 22!

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Hmm. Is there a lore/history page somewhere I can read that details the story (GW1 + GW2, preferably)? I don't know much about the storyline as I came into GW2 late, but I love reading about that kind of stuff and knowing who the main players are.

Yes!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Movement_of_the_World

This mostly covers the time BETWEEN GW1 and GW2, but it still covers a lot. I will try to find something that has more GW1 infos.

*edit*

Here's a timeline of GW1 events:

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Timeline

And GW2 events:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Timeline

For both of those, start from the bottom and work your way UP.

Oh. Okay wow yes. Here is the Lore page:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lore

That should cover... most things.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Storyline

If you prefer YouTube, I really like Wooden Potatoes. He's really into the lore, and he has a channel on lore, which expands with every new episode and expansion, and after patches that add new maps to the Mists.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

If you prefer YouTube, I really like Wooden Potatoes. He's really into the lore, and he has a channel on lore, which expands with every new episode and expansion, and after patches that add new maps to the Mists.

Wooden Potatoes IS really, REALLY good, and he's very good at explaining the lore. He also has a bunch of GW1 lore videos where he plays through and explains content, if it's GW1 specifically you want.

For me personally, I find YouTube videos hard to concentrate on, and I read super fast anyway, so I can often get through like four, five articles in the time it takes WP to do one of his long-winded vids :P

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I wish they'd loosen up on central tyrian mastery points a bit by now. After I focused on autoloot, I basically backed myself into a corner where I can't buy any new skills because I'm waiting on cheevos I've never had much luck doing.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So I am thinking of trying a new MMO and a few people I know have spoken highly of GW2. Thing is... I am not sure if it's my thing or not. How's the roleplaying community/scene?

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    The base game is free if you want to give it a shot. No idea how the roleplaying part of the community is.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Most RPing happens in or near the racial capitals, see it all the time in Rata Sum when I'm jumping between it and the HoT maps, but I have no idea how one might get themselves involved with that sort of thing.

steam_sig.png
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    So after digging around and reading all kinds of conflicting reports, can I play another race's personal story up to 30 to get a couplefew more Tyrian mastery points? I've only ever played Asura, so if I make a character of every other race and get them through the level 30 chapter, will I get another 15(?) points? Everything I'm reading is super murky.

I have a tree at 10. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. That would explain a lot and alleviate my feeling that there were no points to be found even after the easier ones.

edited February 2017
    So after digging around and reading all kinds of conflicting reports, can I play another race's personal story up to 30 to get a couplefew more Tyrian mastery points? I've only ever played Asura, so if I make a character of every other race and get them through the level 30 chapter, will I get another 15(?) points? Everything I'm reading is super murky.

I have a tree at 10. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. That would explain a lot and alleviate my feeling that there were no points to be found even after the easier ones.

Best Personal Story branches for the other races:

Human: Noble, and "I never knew my parents." Noble gives us Lord Faren, parents has some set up to the current LS.
    Sylvari: "Where Life Goes, so too shall you" for favorite Ventari quote. hints of HoT. Dream choice there are no real standouts, though Crescent Moon might be your thing if you like bittersweet endings. When you get to the Order missions, always pick Whispers.
    Charr: Ash Legion as female gets a funny line. For the Father ones I'd pick Flame shaman or gladium; those you actually meet your father.
    Norn: Only one you have to pick, "Blacked Out" Also known as "Dude, where's my Tank?"

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    naengwen wrote: »
    Once you've got the hang of it, lightning hammer will make grinding much quicker at the expense of you better be good at dodging.

Cool thanks.

Why Lightning Hammer over the fire summon?

Also, is crafting really worth it? I'm following a guide for tailoring, but I can already craft stuff I'm not capable of wearing due to being too low a level. I like that crafting awards xp but am I screwing myself by getting xp that way versus doing it in the world?

Either way, I need to get to 21 asap (currently 16) so I can get the conjurer trait to increase my weapon summon charges.

Lightning hammer packs a bigger punch and gives better CC. The fire axe is generally seen as inferior because of the range attack damage tax, and its overall damage output doesn't compete with just using your standard fire attunement skills. At least unless you need range, at which point frostbow is better for all intents and purposes anyways. It can create combo fields, but so do most fire ele weapons.

Crafting doesn't give enough gear to compensate for its price compared to finding the gear in the open world. If you craft, don't do it for that. The exp is worth looking at though, and if you're going without guides it can be fun to play the discovery game; otherwise head to whatever replaced gw2crafts.net as the best crafting speedguides from 0-400, and sort out which professions are cheapest to level (hint: check cooking and artificing). If you have the coinage, then each profession leveled from 0-400 will give you 8 levels.

EDIT: to be clear, the advice on crafting is an either or. Don't craft for its exp if you're planning on discovering recipes yourself, else you may blow a lot of cash that'd be better spent saving for when you hit higher levels. Suffice to say if it costs you more than a few gold, probably just give it a pass and sell those crafting mats instead.

Crafting has been basically useless in most mmos I've played. Unfortunate that gw2 is the same. :(

Crafting is useful if you want to get ascended weapons/armor. Annoying, but still easier than a legendary for similar stats.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited February 2017
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Most RPing happens in or near the racial capitals, see it all the time in Rata Sum when I'm jumping between it and the HoT maps, but I have no idea how one might get themselves involved with that sort of thing.

I've found that the best way is to go find the online RP hub/forum: http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/ and then see if there are any open events. Go to the open event, lurk a bit, then jump in where it feels like your character would.

And yes, most RP happens in the racial cities. In Rata Sum it's VERY easy to find because that place is so compact, you can usually "hear" it if you're at a crafting station (though it's generally on the floor below that). In the Black Citadel, it's at one of the bars just outside the city, or (unfortunately) at the Secret Spot that you can clip into a public copy of the Home Instance (which I can never figure out how to get into, gah). I believe the MOST RP happens somewhere in Rurikton, because humans.

*edit* Unfortunately, from experience, like 80% of the GW2 RP scene is actually on the EU side of things :\ All the good events are over there x_X

Lucid_Seraph on
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

I've found that the best way is to go find the online RP hub/forum: http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/ and then see if there are any open events. Go to the open event, lurk a bit, then jump in where it feels like your character would.

And yes, most RP happens in the racial cities. In Rata Sum it's VERY easy to find because that place is so compact, you can usually "hear" it if you're at a crafting station (though it's generally on the floor below that). In the Black Citadel, it's at one of the bars just outside the city, or (unfortunately) at the Secret Spot that you can clip into a public copy of the Home Instance (which I can never figure out how to get into, gah). I believe the MOST RP happens somewhere in Rurikton, because humans.

*edit* Unfortunately, from experience, like 80% of the GW2 RP scene is actually on the EU side of things :\ All the good events are over there x_X

The EU scenes a lot more active on reddit and other public facing sites, for sure. I see a lot of interested parties state side, but they're fairly compartmentalized. One of my other guilds is charr oriented, has a bunch of folks there that recruit and organize for their individual charRP groups. Lot of them are playing ESO while waiting for the big patch though.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    It's a real bummer the RP scene is EU-centric. Still, gonna give this game a try and see what sort of fun I can have.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Once you've got the hang of it, lightning hammer will make grinding much quicker at the expense of you better be good at dodging.

Cool thanks.

Also, is crafting really worth it? I'm following a guide for tailoring, but I can already craft stuff I'm not capable of wearing due to being too low a level. I like that crafting awards xp but am I screwing myself by getting xp that way versus doing it in the world?

Either way, I need to get to 21 asap (currently 16) so I can get the conjurer trait to increase my weapon summon charges.

Lightning hammer packs a bigger punch and gives better CC. The fire axe is generally seen as inferior because of the range attack damage tax, and its overall damage output doesn't compete with just using your standard fire attunement skills. At least unless you need range, at which point frostbow is better for all intents and purposes anyways. It can create combo fields, but so do most fire ele weapons.

Crafting doesn't give enough gear to compensate for its price compared to finding the gear in the open world. If you craft, don't do it for that. The exp is worth looking at though, and if you're going without guides it can be fun to play the discovery game; otherwise head to whatever replaced gw2crafts.net as the best crafting speedguides from 0-400, and sort out which professions are cheapest to level (hint: check cooking and artificing). If you have the coinage, then each profession leveled from 0-400 will give you 8 levels.

EDIT: to be clear, the advice on crafting is an either or. Don't craft for its exp if you're planning on discovering recipes yourself, else you may blow a lot of cash that'd be better spent saving for when you hit higher levels. Suffice to say if it costs you more than a few gold, probably just give it a pass and sell those crafting mats instead.

Crafting has been basically useless in most mmos I've played. Unfortunate that gw2 is the same. :(

Crafting is useful if you want to get ascended weapons/armor. Annoying, but still easier than a legendary for similar stats.

Which is cool but then once youve made it, that's it. Is there no way to make money with your crafting profession in gw2?

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    You gotta watch the market for openings. It's possible to profit, and it is a discount over buying the gear straight off the trading post. If you wanna craft and sell what you craft at a profit, check out gw2efficiency. The crafting calculator should point you in the right direction.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Cool thanks.

Which is cool but then once youve made it, that's it. Is there no way to make money with your crafting profession in gw2?

Consumables are the steady way for profit via crafting. Not every single craft has a great one, but as an example the toxic focusing crystal for artificers turns all the bloodstone dust you have plus some materials off the TP into a nice profit.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited February 2017

Cool thanks.

Consumables are the steady way for profit via crafting. Not every single craft has a great one, but as an example the toxic focusing crystal for artificers turns all the bloodstone dust you have plus some materials off the TP into a nice profit.

IF you can get your hands on the recipe. Part of what gives it such high profit margins is that it started out as a reward for a limited-time Event, and while you can still get it, being basically a rare random drop from a time-gated consumable bought with karma (with a rarer chance of buying it directly for loads of karma) means it's not easy to aquire, unless your willing to spend about a dozen gold for one on the TP. Probably one of the best profit margins for a consumable though, especially since most other things that use or consume bloodstone dust either aren't sellable or are nowhere near as reliable in their returns.

Cooking is another crafting profession that can give you some profits. Not nearly as good of a margin as the focusing crystals, but things like Super Veggie Pizza* can be money makers as well, and the vast majority of the ones that make money are discoverable, rather than consumable drops.

*Best Pizza is actually the Rare Veggie Pizza, but apparently Super Veggie has a ~40s profit margin per batch of 8 while Rare's is only 2s, so you might as well stop with Super and start selling there.

EDIT: One thing to keep in mind about gw2spidy, the profit margins listed assume that you bought all the materials with a buy order, and sold them with a sell order, not anything that gets you the items or money immediately. Ideally this is how you should always do your transactions, but it goes double if your goal it to make a profit via crafting.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Hrm alright I'll get some info on crafting for profit in GW2 and maybe work on that. Cooking could be fun and I'd love to actually have gold in the game without having to resort to "optimal farming" techniques, that I find very not fun.

• DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    As someone who isn't really actively playing, my money making scheme currently is just to log on in the evening, do the two non-dragon ball daily achievements and a regular one. Two gold in ten minutes or less, usually.

That's been me pretty much, if that.

edited February 2017
    Patch is up, finally.

http://pastebin.com/AaXPuHqE

Of major note, there is a Thaumanova Reactor Fractal rework! Lots of stuff has changed. apparently there's new dialogue and "more interesting enemies," whatever that means...

Lucid_Seraph on
    Patch is up, finally.

http://pastebin.com/AaXPuHqE

Of major note, there is a Thaumanova Reactor Fractal rework! Lots of stuff has changed. apparently there's new dialogue and "more interesting enemies," whatever that means...

Reactor was one of my least favorite fractals. Curious to see how the changes affect that.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I really like that fractal except for all of the annoying stuff, which going by the notes (not comprehensive here)
    Removed all existing portals and replaced them with new ones that spawn via scripted events rather than player proximity.
    Portals no longer pull in players.
    Jump pads have been added to allow rapid transit between the center ring and the outer rooms.
    The liquid in the lower area no longer applies burning.
    The Subject 6 encounter retains the same core mechanics, but failing to kill a couple of blue oozes is no longer essentially a reset.

looks like they did a lot to improve it!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I strongly recommend bringing as much Stability as you can for the final story step. The fight is in very enclosed quarters with a high chance of chain knockdowns; it was reasonably difficult for me as a Soldier's Guardian, so on anything squishier I can see it being pretty nasty.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I strongly recommend bringing as much Stability as you can for the final story step. The fight is in very enclosed quarters with a high chance of chain knockdowns; it was reasonably difficult for me as a Soldier's Guardian, so on anything squishier I can see it being pretty nasty.

Time to use the Juggernaut trait :V

Or just always be Berserk! :D

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Coming back to this game is always so confusing. I never know what the current thing is everyone does to farm, there's always new content that isn't usually explained very well, and there's always a bunch of mail and stuff I have to sort through, then I have to figure out what I was doing before I stopped playing last time. This time they threw a free 80 boost at me which I decided to use on an elementalist because leveling mages in every mmo is terrible. It's a shame they give you soldier gear on the boosted character instead of something people actually use like berserkers. Now I'm running all over the world to get the waypoints so I can do the zone bosses.

Is there a general thing that most people farm now? I know before HoT it was silverwastes, and after there is the 3rd zone in maguuma. Is there something new that has come out in the last year or is doing the assault the dragon thing still the go-to?

Enigmedic wrote: »
    Coming back to this game is always so confusing. I never know what the current thing is everyone does to farm, there's always new content that isn't usually explained very well, and there's always a bunch of mail and stuff I have to sort through, then I have to figure out what I was doing before I stopped playing last time. This time they threw a free 80 boost at me which I decided to use on an elementalist because leveling mages in every mmo is terrible. It's a shame they give you soldier gear on the boosted character instead of something people actually use like berserkers. Now I'm running all over the world to get the waypoints so I can do the zone bosses.

Is there a general thing that most people farm now? I know before HoT it was silverwastes, and after there is the 3rd zone in maguuma. Is there something new that has come out in the last year or is doing the assault the dragon thing still the go-to?

You've come back right after an update nerfed what people had been farming. In general now you can get some decent income from farming unbound magic from the Living Story 3 zones and trading it in for the crafting material packs.

Steam Profile
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    how do i even access the living story stuff? it looks like i missed s2 and parts of s3. Is there a way to just jump right in to whatever is current? The living story stuff has always been the weirdest to grasp because it isn't explained very well.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    If you didn't unlock it when it was fresh, I think you'll have to pay 800 gems for ls2 and then just follow the que to get started.

I just reinstalled to catch up on story. I mostly quit after finishing HoT. So I'll be working on the rest of the story and HoT achievements.

Once I remember how to manage my inventory I'll probably try to start doing some fractals too.

Feldorn on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    how do i even access the living story stuff? it looks like i missed s2 and parts of s3. Is there a way to just jump right in to whatever is current? The living story stuff has always been the weirdest to grasp because it isn't explained very well.

If you want to access any of the older stuff you have to buy episodes off the Black Lion Store. If you want to access the current story, you just need to open your Hero panel, scroll down to the star looking icon. Click Living Story 3 and click Play Episode. It'll give you the quest starter to get it all under way.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    I'm also getting back into GW2 - Been awhile. I never finished up some of the HoT maps either so getting those done, and about to start Season 3 for the living story. Finding I'm enjoying the HoT zones a lot more than I used to, for whatever reason. Guess it's because of the rework. And the meta events in AB and TD are more fun too. If anyone needs help for HoT or fractals or whatever, and I'm on, just ping me. I'd be glad to help! Some of the hero points on the HoT maps suuuuuckkk.

Gotta get back into Fractals to get me the Legendary Backpiece finally too. If only raids took less time.

• The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    The HoT map/meta rework made a HUGE difference to my enjoyment of them.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    How long ago would I have had to play to unlock Season 2?

It's locked for me, but I'm almost certain I played through part of it on another character.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    How long ago would I have had to play to unlock Season 2?

It's locked for me, but I'm almost certain I played through part of it on another character.

Looks like it began July 2014, and ended February 2015, with 8 different unlock windows in that time period.

For perspective, HoT was released October-ish 2015.

Perrsun on
  • freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    I found a guy selling a picture of another guy, and i had to buy one and put it up in the guild hall. It's a minor but funny story spoiler for the new living story content.
    t7bqqdrederj.jpg

What is this thing that is happening here.
    So, as I'm getting back into gw2, I am wondering if there is a consensus. I have an ascended berserker berserker... and wish to work toward a condi build. Should I just go ahead and work on gear for the condi berserker or work on condi Druid ?

I think I'm pretty indifferent, but no idea about the community these days. Druid is exotic berserker right now.

Feldorn wrote: »
    So, as I'm getting back into gw2, I am wondering if there is a consensus. I have an ascended berserker berserker... and wish to work toward a condi build. Should I just go ahead and work on gear for the condi berserker or work on condi Druid ?

I think I'm pretty indifferent, but no idea about the community these days. Druid is exotic berserker right now.

Druid is the more flexible class in general but will also take you longer to gear up since they tend to switch around bits of gear depending on where they want to adjust their position on the support vs. damage scale.

Additionally, condi druid fits in a bit better with most other condi classes as it doesn't have to stay in melee range if it's with a the ranged condi classes if you start hitting up the content that favors grouping condition builds with conditions builds and power builds with power builds.

Steam Profile
    @Steel Angel I'd probably do both if I played long enough, just trying to decide who to go for first. Will try and decide while doing map complete and such.

"Steel Angel" I'd probably do both if I played long enough, just trying to decide who to go for first. Will try and decide while doing map complete and such.

The ascended accessories can be shared between the two so the second will be quicker than the first.

Steam Profile
    "Steel Angel" I'd probably do both if I played long enough, just trying to decide who to go for first. Will try and decide while doing map complete and such.

The ascended accessories can be shared between the two so the second will be quicker than the first.

Yea, the vipers accessories will take awhile to collect, but I'll probably have them before a full set of armor

This discussion has been closed.