As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Path of Fire expansion to be released on Sept 22!

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    @Kylindra , it was exactly where I thought it would be -- which is to say, near the spot which I keep saying would make a really nice apartment.
    3IMfQD1kQsAgLwGlbFApJn.jpg

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Leandriell wrote: »
    I can do perplexity if anyone needs!

I might take you up on that, but first I need to find a condi mesmer build that's viable in PvE.

And all my searches are coming up with are builds pre-HoT, so things don't look good on that end.

Get a couple duelists up ten auto with staff. Pistol trait. Not sure if the build anymore.

Easy: Rabid staff auto attack. Runes of krait or maybe balthazaar. Probably want deceptive evasion and glamour mastery for more longer feedbacks to help with ranged mobs.

Don't beat your head on it to hard though. Can't make everyone Condi.

It's mostly because I farmed the crap out of TA ages ago so she could get a complete set of condi Nightmare gear, and I really want to take advantage of that.

I saw a build that could stack tons of confusion on interrupt that basically melted Mordrem Menders, but dunno if it still works as advertised as that was also pre-HoT.

There's some theorycrafting on a possible build in the guide at Dulfy: http://dulfy.net/2014/07/21/gw2-mesmer-pve-class-guide-by-sanderinoa/#Optional_Condition_mesmering

Not sure how up to date it is with the recent changes mind you.

Conditional Mesmer has the issue that many of its attacks that apply conditions to an area will also try to bounce to an ally to apply a buff over hitting another enemy with a condition. Not all of them do but it makes the build less intuitive than one would think.

Eh, overall Condi mes is in a bad spot, PvE wise. A lot of the damage that it is capable of can only occur on a single target because of how illusions work and how scepter is set up, and even under optimal conditions can only work up to about half of what any other class can do under the exact same conditions. It's fantastic burst, and ATM a meta PvP build, but it's tough to justify in a group PvE scenario.

But then that applies to any Mesmer damage build right now - condi mes at its optimal is actually a lot higher than power, except you need to sacrifice what mesmers are used for and what keeps us in the meta in PvE, which is our ability to provide constant quickness and alacrity.

Guess there's the upside that because of that it doesn't actually matter whether you're zerk or condi, long as you can get those boons up :p

naengwen on
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    @Kylindra , it was exactly where I thought it would be -- which is to say, near the spot which I keep saying would make a really nice apartment.

Congratulations! You win the prize! Just let me know which decoration you want scribed for the guild and I'll get to work! :)

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »

I might take you up on that, but first I need to find a condi mesmer build that's viable in PvE.

And all my searches are coming up with are builds pre-HoT, so things don't look good on that end.

Get a couple duelists up ten auto with staff. Pistol trait. Not sure if the build anymore.

Easy: Rabid staff auto attack. Runes of krait or maybe balthazaar. Probably want deceptive evasion and glamour mastery for more longer feedbacks to help with ranged mobs.

It's mostly because I farmed the crap out of TA ages ago so she could get a complete set of condi Nightmare gear, and I really want to take advantage of that.

I saw a build that could stack tons of confusion on interrupt that basically melted Mordrem Menders, but dunno if it still works as advertised as that was also pre-HoT.

There's some theorycrafting on a possible build in the guide at Dulfy: http://dulfy.net/2014/07/21/gw2-mesmer-pve-class-guide-by-sanderinoa/#Optional_Condition_mesmering

Conditional Mesmer has the issue that many of its attacks that apply conditions to an area will also try to bounce to an ally to apply a buff over hitting another enemy with a condition. Not all of them do but it makes the build less intuitive than one would think.

Eh, overall Condi mes is in a bad spot, PvE wise. A lot of the damage that it is capable of can only occur on a single target because of how illusions work and how scepter is set up, and even under optimal conditions can only work up to about half of what any other class can do under the exact same conditions. It's fantastic burst, and ATM a meta PvP build, but it's tough to justify in a group PvE scenario.

But then that applies to any Mesmer damage build right now - condi mes at its optimal is actually a lot higher than power, except you need to sacrifice what mesmers are used for and what keeps us in the meta in PvE, which is our ability to provide constant quickness and alacrity.

Guess there's the upside that because of that it doesn't actually matter whether you're zerk or condi, long as you can get those boons up :p

Yeah, one doesn't play Mesmer if they want to output sick damage in PvE. Despite thief having lower health than memser, I found mine a lot more survivable in HoT zones just due to how much faster it killed things. And it killed things even faster if there was a Chronomancer around.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Reminder: Tenebrous Crystal Poll

http://www.strawpoll.me/10129812

Trying to get a sense of how far along people are with this.

If you have questions about Tenebrous Crystals or other guild hall things, try this guide:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/34256868/#Comment_34256868

(Note: the guide picture says you need 90 for the armor, that's incorrect, it's only 66 total for all three weights)

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Kylindra wrote: »

Congratulations! You win the prize! Just let me know which decoration you want scribed for the guild and I'll get to work! :)

Oh dear, this is going to be very hard to decide :(

I think... I think I'd like a Gramaphone somewhere? It'd look really nice in your study if you aren't taking it down. It also might be a lovely addition to the bar area.

*edit* My only wish is that there was a non-Halloween version :\ Just like a regular ol gramophone.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I think... I think I'd like a Gramaphone somewhere? It'd look really nice in your study if you aren't taking it down. It also might be a lovely addition to the bar area.

*edit* My only wish is that there was a non-Halloween version :\ Just like a regular ol gramophone.

How about a little party pavilion outside the trophy garden? Festival tent, gramophone on a table or something, a bench, maybe a campfire?

Edit: Here's a quick album showing the gramophone party area, and some shots of the trophy garden:
    NICE Party Tent & Trophy Garden

Kylindra on
  • Options

How about a little party pavilion outside the trophy garden? Festival tent, gramophone on a table or something, a bench, maybe a campfire?

Edit: Here's a quick album showing the gramophone party area, and some shots of the trophy garden:
    NICE Party Tent & Trophy Garden

YEAH I dig that idea!

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular

Thanks for chiming in, Sharkey. :)

I rather prefer staying away from my opponent as a mesmer. I did try the typical power build (well, without the proper gear, but tried it out with the weapons and abilities) and I find myself wanting to keep my distance even when I'm using double swords.

Maybe I just need mesmer reconditioning.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I get it.

• Options
    edited May 2016

I rather prefer staying away from my opponent as a mesmer. I did try the typical power build (well, without the proper gear, but tried it out with the weapons and abilities) and I find myself wanting to keep my distance even when I'm using double swords.

A lot in this game involves close quarters with your allies and the enemy - the game's auras, AoE's and a large number of skills are point blank or are most effective at point blank. If you're considering reconditioning, do it with the lesson in mind that in 90% of situations you're a greater liability away from your group and putting distance between yourself and the mob than you are sticking right to them. Exceptions of course being those situations where the game deliberately punishes you for doing that in a way that will actually kill you faster than your own healing will counter :P

naengwen on
  • Options

Mesmers are in the medium health group so they're a little more durable than you initially think. The sword 4 is also not only a block but one of the better damage skills available on top of the sword 2 making you evade anything while the attack animation fires. So that's four ways to ignore damage in melee range when combined with the 2 dodges.

But you can split the difference a bit. Since your phantasms have a cast time but have a range, you can cast the sword phantasm from range and it'll attract some attention while you run in to start stabbing yourself. And if it's a tougher enemy, you can start with the greatsword to use all phantasm, the 2, and the 3 to hit from range before switching to swords to get the second phantasm up before going into melee.

You still need to avoid being swarmed mind you. Phantasms staying up is a good chunk of Mesmer damage so solo Mesmer vs. multiple enemies is the least optimal situation to be in.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Also worth noting that a lot of those long cooldown abilities are a lot more accessible thanks to alacrity and continuum shift. Don't be afraid to use your F4 if you need some invulnerability. Shield is incredibly awesome in open world, done right you have a higher shield block uptime than any other class. It also slows your enemies and gives you more alacrity in the process, and an out in most situations where you're getting swarmed - for the rest, F4.

Or if you have points in Domination, a signet works too :D

• Options
    Hm. Thanks for the input, everyone. :)

I think I would need time to chat with someone who can show me the ropes while in-game, as it were. I've always played my mesmer from range, so it's hard to break the habit.

Especially when I think about stuff like the "boss" beneath Red in Silverwastes. I'm all "how do I melee that?" and since I don't know the class as well as I should, I have no idea. So I stick to standing as far as possible and tossing my little purple orbs.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    played reset tonight, didn't drive. I still hate most of the design decisions they've made to tilt the game towards boring, re: IC res, rally cap, lord banners, e-waypoint > timer waypoint, etc, so I'll probably still play when someone else wants to drive in covn or nice

which is i guess more than I was going to

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Hm. Thanks for the input, everyone. :)

I think I would need time to chat with someone who can show me the ropes while in-game, as it were. I've always played my mesmer from range, so it's hard to break the habit.

Especially when I think about stuff like the "boss" beneath Red in Silverwastes. I'm all "how do I melee that?" and since I don't know the class as well as I should, I have no idea. So I stick to standing as far as possible and tossing my little purple orbs.

A lot of it is less knowing the class versus knowing the fight which can be hard in a crowd. On top of that, the scaling many open world enemies have can throw things off. Like I'm perfectly happy to melee the majority of open world bosses I know but when something like Tequatl has weird hitboxes that move around a lot during the fight and 37 spots of AoE on the ground that can two shot me I'm fine with backing out to range.

Melee comfort is more important in a fractal/dungeon/raid setting where you can't just use numbers so you have to perform better but the enemies don't get the same kind of scaling so you often have a bit more leeway if you get hit.

But also try going sword/shield for open world. It's less damage than sword/sword but has neat tricks of its own. I just tend to stick with sword/sword open world because I prefer the faster cooldown on the phantasm and my swords look better than my shield.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    Things I am doing:

Assembling The Dreamer ( UNICORNSSSS) ( need tier 6 mats for gifts of might and magic, hard and seasoned wood for gift of wood, and some orbs. I could buy the lot, but that's , well, too easy.

Pushing my fractal level up ad working on the backpack. Frac level 81 atm and basically done with stage 2 of the collection.

Looking at the collections tabs in the cheevos and weeping for all the collections I will never finish.

Finishing off my masteries and picking up leftover cheevos in HOT content.

Levelling Scribing. at 340ish atm, dropped a couple hundos worth of mats from storage and TP. Really should have poked to get scribing permissions off guild, might have saved me a bit of money and fuss. Might still need to to finish the last stretch. That last stretch gets expensive I bet.

What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    shit wot I'm doing

H.O.P.E. RIDES... ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE yeah I'm making dis gun it's goan take for fucking ever. Still working on T1 just because I'm like "haha I don't want to gather 500000 Elder Wood :\

... tbh that's basically it I'm hella lazy

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Working on the ascended Daredevil staff still, sadly looking for the part from Dragons Stand, and it doesnt appear that Meta gets done often...
    Also working on H.O.P.E. though I may just get to the point where I get the precursor...
    Umm little things here and there, want to do more Fractals... though may end up Pugging it

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Working on the ascended Daredevil staff still, sadly looking for the part from Dragons Stand, and it doesnt appear that Meta gets done often...
    Also working on H.O.P.E. though I may just get to the point where I get the precursor...
    Umm little things here and there, want to do more Fractals... though may end up Pugging it

Meta gets done pretty regularly but I think only between 1 and 3 maps will actually kick it off each cycle in the evening and they fill up fast. Ideally you join a taxi squad a few minutes before the event fires off, travel over, and join the squad leader's instance so you're already there when the map resets.

It's usually not too hard to find a pug for fractals below 50 and usually not hard to do them below 40. They start to get rougher that way after that. I think I spent an hour doing scale 50 Mai Trin last night.

Speaking of which, I'm not at 80 or 90 something AR and pugging 50+ fractals is less pleasant so I'm game for those with people here.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I cleared HOPE I!

... Now I gotta make Research, the ugly first tier, and that's like a whole pile of Spiritwood, Deldrimoor Steel, and Elonian Leather (thankfully I've been hoarding this stuff, but still... I'm only halfway there on each one) and then I presumably have to make five billion pistols :|

• Options
    Okay, some of these scoring changes sound really exciting:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/Let-s-Talk-Scoring

I'm especially intrigued by Last Stand. It's smells like a chance to make the final day of a matchup almost as exciting as the first night of reset! Thoughts?

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Okay, some of these scoring changes sound really exciting:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/Let-s-Talk-Scoring

I'm especially intrigued by Last Stand. It's smells like a chance to make the final day of a matchup almost as exciting as the first night of reset! Thoughts?

I'd better keep my hard drive full or else gw2 may find itself back installed.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    get back here mojo lets punch keeps

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    An improvement over the current system, and more easily coded (on top of the current system) than a good solution, but still not a good solution.

A lot of those changes are suggestions from 2013; back when I and others made them, we thought about WvW solely in the sense of how the current system was biased, rather than looking at how the system shapes gameplay. After almost four years of commanding, I can see these maybe making the matches closer in some cases, which may re-incentivise players, but it doesn't really address the drawbacks of the PPT system itself.
    Reduced the Score Tick Timer from 15 minutes to 5 minutes
    Points for Capture
    Capturing an objective awards immediate score.
    We've seen the effect of this in EotM; fastest cappers win.
    Upgraded Objectives Score Higher
    Each tier of objective upgrade increases the amount of score per tick
    The goal is to incentivize defending your upgraded objectives and assaulting opposing upgraded objectives
    The goal may be that, but having made and debated this suggestion in 2013, we came to the conclusion that this actually just has the effect of reinforcing coverage advantages. Better coverage means you're more likely to leave your opponents with wooden objectives, and less likely to lose your own objectives, meaning you'll tick higher.

Really the only thing I like in those suggestions is the Last Stand, which might help limit the lame duck design of WvW.

The big problem is that A.net still conceives of WvW as a battle of control, rather than of activity. A contested objective is an important objective; an objective that hasn't seen action in half a day is an irrelevance. An objective that is taken without resistance is nothing to talk about; an objective taken or held after half an hour or more or protracted siege and battles is a landmark.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

been so long i wouldn't even know how to log in.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »

been so long i wouldn't even know how to log in.

get back here mojo let's punch keeps

• Options
    So working on various things and realized I really need to keep unlocking the HoT masteries.. but I appear to be running low on mastery points for the HoT content..

I have up to stealth Gliding, Blazing Speed Mushrooms ,Nuhoch Stealth Detection and just finishing up Exalted Gathering. What should be my plan for getting more mastery points... cause I have like 12 left...

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    So working on various things and realized I really need to keep unlocking the HoT masteries.. but I appear to be running low on mastery points for the HoT content..

I have up to stealth Gliding, Blazing Speed Mushrooms ,Nuhoch Stealth Detection and just finishing up Exalted Gathering. What should be my plan for getting more mastery points... cause I have like 12 left...

Map completion (that is, getting all the MP's on a map) is one. The... what are they called again- challenges? The little minigames get you an MP if you at least silver it, IIRC. Achievements.

• Options

Map completion (that is, getting all the MP's on a map) is one. The... what are they called again- challenges? The little minigames get you an MP if you at least silver it, IIRC. Achievements.

I have been neglecting the "adventures" for the most part, i'll do those, 100% on the rest of the maps is a work in progress have the first map 100% will need to do the rest, maybe i'll do that this weekend.. shit need to do that anyways if I want to make one of those fancy new legendaries.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

I have been neglecting the "adventures" for the most part, i'll do those, 100% on the rest of the maps is a work in progress have the first map 100% will need to do the rest, maybe i'll do that this weekend.. shit need to do that anyways if I want to make one of those fancy new legendaries.

In addition to the mastery points you see on the map, each map has strongboxes that award a mastery point and achievement the first time you open them. They do not appear on the map but have a glowing pillar of light when you look at them.

The metaevent related achievements are the other source. There's usually one for doing each event in the chain at each outpost. Dragon's Stand gives you a ton for sticking with one of the three lanes and you can do it again for each lane but the other zones will be slower going.

Steam Profile
  • Options

In addition to the mastery points you see on the map, each map has strongboxes that award a mastery point and achievement the first time you open them. They do not appear on the map but have a glowing pillar of light when you look at them.

The metaevent related achievements are the other source. There's usually one for doing each event in the chain at each outpost. Dragon's Stand gives you a ton for sticking with one of the three lanes and you can do it again for each lane but the other zones will be slower going.

found a nice list of points for each zone, I think I cleared out the strongboxes in Verdant Brink but i'll have to double check what I have on my list already. If I concentrate on getting map completion (Hero Points being the most annoying parts I think) getting strongboxes, mastery insights and hitting adventures as I come across them I should be ok.. been running through the story again with another character and getting achievements as well so i'll keep doing that too.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    You can also do the HoT story achievements for extra mastery points, if anyone needs a hand with them I've cleared all of them before, so Happy to help out with knowledge and an extra body in the instance.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    For @Lagnar:

zXxtzfC.jpg?1

Since Balthazar is the god of war, I put him presiding over the War Room. And since he's the god of fire, I added some torches and candles. Enjoy! <3

• Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    Whoo! LS achievements all done!

Remaining stuff working on:
    • The new legendary bow precursor. Working on The Hunt which needs a hajillion Elonian Leather
    • Fractal Legendary Back piece. Joint endevour with Tav and Gold, currently on part 3
    • Vague notion of finding a raiding krewe

• Options
    A very productive mastery point gathering evening, finished off all the verdant brink bosses, cleaned up all the pact camps and barring the aerial adventure placed gold in the rest of them, and unlocked all the exhalted masteries, nucloch proving is on my list next

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    There appears to be a new Wuv poll, but I can't read the options on mobile :/

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Poll-13-May-Scoring/first#post6152766

• Options
    Perrsun wrote: »

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Poll-13-May-Scoring/first#post6152766

Here you go:

ArenaNet’s first WvW poll asked the community to decide priority between “Quality of Life” and “Scoring Changes”; the community chose scoring improvements as top priority. Today we would like to ask you to choose an individual feature. To add some perspective, and give an idea of turn-around, we’ve added the estimated amount of work for each change to the end of each question.

Please choose the feature that would provide the greatest positive impact to World Vs. World.

• Implement scoring for objective capture (Small)
    • Modify objective scoring to be relative to upgrade level (Medium)
    • Change WvW Tick timer to 5 Minutes (Small)
    • Provide features that increase a team’s ability to recover from large point disparities (Medium)
    • Rebalance scoring for actions that are not included in Points-Per-Tick (Small)
    • Adjust scoring to be relative to current activity and population (Large)
    • No preference

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Perrsun wrote: »

Options are:
    • Modify objective scoring to be relative to upgrade level (Medium)
    • Provide features that increase a team’s ability to recover from large point disparities (Medium)
    • Implement scoring for objective capture (Small)
    • Adjust scoring to be relative to current activity and population (Large)
    • Rebalance scoring for actions that are not included in Points-Per-Tick (Small)
    • Change WvW Tick timer to 5 Minutes (Small)
    • No preference

Note: the parentheticals are notes about how long they think each change will take, so we can take that into account.

Kylindra on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I know nothing about the state or strategies of Wuvwuv, tell me what I should vote for.

This discussion has been closed.