As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza] Horizon 5 - That Went Well - Retired

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Also, convert all your cars to AWD and use dirt tires in at least classes A and above. (I have dirt tires on some lower class cars)
    RWD = spinnyMcNoFun.

also known as the reason horizon 3 and 4 are bad games!

rwd was so fun in 2. my caterham was one of my most fun dirt cars.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    RWD is lots of fun, I dunno what you guys are talking about. Most of my garage is RWD.

AWD is definitely easier though, mostly because you can launch faster than the other cars at the beginning of the race.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Never put anime on your car

Literally the first thing I do with every new car I'm about to take out is find the best anime livery available for it and slap it on. And then download the Don Joewon Song tune for it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Literally the first thing I do with every new car I'm about to take out is find the best anime livery available for it and slap it on. And then download the Don Joewon Song tune for it.

VZ3Wfug.png

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

VZ3Wfug.png

Unless it's Forza, then anime is required.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    RWD is lots of fun, I dunno what you guys are talking about. Most of my garage is RWD.

AWD is definitely easier though, mostly because you can launch faster than the other cars at the beginning of the race.

Well let me revise that statement:
    RWD = spinnyMcNoFun.
    RWD = spinnyMcNotCompetitive

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The lack of car progression is kind of throwing me for a loop. How do you decide what to drive?

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    When starting the game, for each class, I tried to make at least 1 car for dirt, 1 for offroad, and 1 for road races. Personally I started off by choosing cars I enjoyed in previous forzas or cars I like in real life. I always find it fun to take a car I've driven in real life (or the closest approximation in the game) and just shove a stupid engine and AWD in it.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    I mean I drive an STI so I did that right away :lol: I've got a stock (B), aftermarket s1/s2 power mods (A), and WRC competitor (S1) concepts. Just never quite sure what to pick to drive, everything seems to be open to everything. I guess I should just sort of bounce around?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    go around and do various races and series, they all have their own cars/classes if you just do the playground games recommended version. just have fun with it

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The lack of car progression is kind of throwing me for a loop. How do you decide what to drive?

Just drive rally cars everywhere all the time, because they're the best cars. That's probably one of the most fun things about the game, you can snug yourself into a niche and play around in there. Get a nice car like a Lancia Delta S4 and get real familiar with it and then branch out into other rally cars and get a feel for how they feel compared to each other. Then maybe branch out into hot hatches or something.

Or if you are real into trucks, buy a truck and have fun with it! Or just drive whatever looks cool to you! Sky's the limit!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    get a Lambo, put off-road tires on it, and just go fuck around

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    get a Lambo, put off-road tires on it, and just go fuck around

Any car that will get up to around 250mph will do, really

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Haven't played in a while but I found an offroad tune for a Porsche that absolutely fuckin' rips. Super fun to drive.

• Options
    So the Eliminator is super rad, manages to be both fun as hell and be super sort of unfair :lol: Like you might log in and immediately get smoked by an R8, or you might find a upgraded car and start killing the L1 Mini Coopers.

• Options
    I only played one round of Eliminator so far and the one thing I didn't like was the ending direction being up to chance. All things equal, whoever's closer has a huge advantage randomly and often insurmountably.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Thinking of trying this since it's on gamepass. How does it differ from the main forza?

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Thinking of trying this since it's on gamepass. How does it differ from the main forza?
    Horizon is an open world arcade racer. Instead of different tracks, there are various circuits and sprints you unlock in the world. There are off-road, dirt, and road traces. There are also some "story" modes (stunt driver, top gear, etc), billboards to crash through, and mini-games (speed traps, drifting, jumps).

There's also a ton of metagame content, seasonal events, timed events, unlockables, etc. There's also a Lego expansion, a treasure hunt expansion, a pubg-style elimination game mode, just a ton of stuff.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Anyone still playing this? I picked it up since finishing BotW, and it's scratching my "chill out on the couch" relaxing gaming itch. Doesn't hurt that it's g-d gorgeous (and I love cars).

I only recently got out of the prologue, but it looks like not too much changes, other than slower seasonal changes and more "tracked" challenges with defined rewards.

It's always online, but I can't say I've really engaged with any randos in my sessions, we usually just blast by each other while doing our own things. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of griefing, which is a relief. I take it there's a PA club? Is that better than adding individual GTs/friends?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Given how the instanced multiplayer works, it's probably outright impossible to actually be griefed short of joining a session with...other human players deliberately.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Having just started FH4 (as I got a new tv with 4k and the HDRs and whatnot) I would like you all to know:

Jesus christ FUCK all y'alls drivatars jesus christ what the fuck why do you go that fast from a standing launch stop driving through me.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Still my favorite use of that technology is accurately representing how racing game players drive - like complete bumper-car assholes

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    My only consolation is I seem to do very well at the cross-country races so far. Can't hit me as much if I'm in front! (A thing which does not happen in any other mode.)

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Still my favorite use of that technology is accurately representing how racing game players drive - like complete bumper-car assholes

https://youtu.be/JeYP9eyIl4E

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Forza Horizon 5 - November 9th 2021

Set in Mexico

https://youtu.be/FYH9n37B7Yw

https://youtu.be/d_20X1YM28U

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I just started digging into Horizon 4, since I just got a Series S a couple months ago. I dig it, and am looking forward to the next one.

I was hoping for an update on the next Motorsport though... *sigh*

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »

This. No shade to Horizon lovers, but we were overdue for another Motorsport title.

FM7 is kind of a near-perfect semi-simulation track title, and I can see why following that up is a little more intimidating then another open-world racing game where you're allowed to add a lot of content post-launch. Mexico looks like a great choice, but at least they acknowledged "Yeah, Turn 10 is still working on Motorsport, check back later."

• Options
    God damn FH5 looks pretty as hell. And aside from the obvious disappointment that it's not Japan, Mexico seems like a rad setting.

Can't wait to continue only driving rally cars.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    oldmanken wrote: »

This. No shade to Horizon lovers, but we were overdue for another Motorsport title.

FM7 is kind of a near-perfect semi-simulation track title, and I can see why following that up is a little more intimidating then another open-world racing game where you're allowed to add a lot of content post-launch. Mexico looks like a great choice, but at least they acknowledged "Yeah, Turn 10 is still working on Motorsport, check back later."

Motorsport will be a day one download (since it will be on GamePass) for me, but so will Horizon. I haven't played a Forza since 4, so I am looking forward to getting back into it.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Jeff Gerstman said something I was thinking during the reveal of FH5, that it's rare to see Mexico used as a setting that is not about crime/drugs/cartels.

Its something I really appreciate it as well.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I was also obviously in the Motorsport camp, but this reveal is a solid "Eh" from me. The locale isn't particularly exciting, but also everything they're showing off ... mmm ... it's not interesting. "Build your own bowl-o-drome / hotwheels stunt track" is not a feature I expect the majority of people to care about, and as nice as cultural appreciation is, that's a capstone to a great feature set, not arguably the highlight of the gameplay video. :(

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i knew they were gonna do me like this. once that chvrches song came out i knew fh5 was going to be announced.

it does look absolutely gorgeous though. and what it wasn't like i'm not going to play a forza game.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Wow, it does look very pretty. I'm going to continue being bitter that they took Forizon (wow I love that typo, leaving it) farther and farther into "S+ or go home, every road is a superhighway" with each game, because it makes it less fun and less engaging to drive. "Two lane" highway with cross streets and no side stripes, the usual 6-8 cars wide and they're going 150-200mph no problem. Wet muddy track through the jungle, 90 mph but slow down to 80 for the turn! Mountainside hairpin? Football pitch fits in the radius. :rotate: I really like C, B and A class cars but if you wanna drive em you'd better goose em to the moon, and it all ends up pretty need for speed stupidish.

But that said if my PC can run it well, who am I kidding I'm sure I'll end up not only playing it (maybe only game pass this time) but enjoying it.

It just feels insulting that they think we need all the roads straightened and widened, and for all tires and cars to handle off road equally well, nothing tight or technical or slow ever wait is that a shepherd's crook ah let go of me ok ok ok I'm stopping geeze

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    I will say, the push they gave the creation tools from the jump this time and looking at the map in those gameplay clips does give me hope on the technical side (I know, I say this every time).

The Forza supplied courses are NEVER going to lean technical, probably for very good reason: that's not what the larger Horizon population wants (hell, look at how Motorsport track choices lean, that's also heavily Speed focused). A more robust route creator, with the tools baked in and not bolted on like in FH4, is the answer. You can make pretty technical courses out of the roads/trails in FH4's map, and looking at some of the mini-maps from the footage today, as long as the route creator is still similar to FH4, I think creating more balanced, technical (still arcadey) races should be pretty doable in FH5.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Well, who knows. November isn't close so perhaps I'll be more up for the game then. Surely my PC is good enough to run it.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    As a general rule I enthusiastically endorse developers putting creative tools into games, which we've generally seen for Xbox titles more than Sony and Nintendo (before Super Mario Maker anyway, and that took coming to the Switch arguably); done right it's spurred incredible circles of creativity which do a lot to further the game. Halo 5 took Bungie's earlier tools from the Xbox 360-era and gave us the most creative community in a console first-person shooter ever, to the point where they've been creating levels from other games in the engine and turning that into an art form. It's also done wonders for the longevity of the multiplayer community.

That being said, I can see why you wouldn't do it in Forza Motorsport, but FH seems like a much better environment to try it out.
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Jeff Gerstman said something I was thinking during the reveal of FH5, that it's rare to see Mexico used as a setting that is not about crime/drugs/cartels.

It gives me hope for a game set in Russia that isn't completely populated by racist and offensive stereotypes.

In 10 to 15 years, anyway.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Which is sad because as the game shows, its an absolutely beautiful country.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Which is sad because as the game shows, its an absolutely beautiful country.

It absolutely contains those endemic social/criminal problems which is a major factor that impacts the country in a lot of ways, from the economy right down to the families affected.
    But it is definitely disgusting that entertainment can't be bothered with popularizing any other aspect of these countries, their culture and the common people, all beautiful in their own right

• Options
    Is this the first Forza Horizon to be on Game Pass at launch? I think FM7 was, but was FH4 before everything was getting put on Game Pass day 1? Might just end up doing that. With FH4 I bought the fancy $100 version or whatever at launch with all the DLCs, but I ended up burning through the game at launch and never coming back to it for the DLC (I tried recently, but still felt kind of done with the game). Should be nice to get the base game w/ Game Pass and if I really feel like I wanna come back to it when the DLC comes out, I can just get it then.

Stabbity_Style.png