As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza] Horizon 5 - That Went Well - Retired

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    It's such an incredibly cool feeling to get returns on your performance/tuning. I still don't really know what I'm doing, but bumping up the front aero and moving most of the torque to the front suddenly made my WRX feel way more like I wanted it to, and then I kept moving through rivals on the Bola Ocho circuit, tweaking things to see how they'd feel as I went, just shaving off a fraction of a second here and there.

I could happily spend hours just running the same tiny circuit testing little incremental changes, I love it.

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    oh come on!
    ln4aovordo07.png
    Edit: Next attempt landed 1201 got the 3rd star.
    4aj7zw5c5iim.png

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    It begins.
    wloxc34v4sno.png

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    hello microsoft i would like to report a crime

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    And yeah you can easily do arcade events, if anything they are too easy, so get those knocked out before they "fix" them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Co worker Teams msg'd me at 2am one night to advise she had bought her dream Jeep, even if it was in Forza.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Spent a big chunk of today going through and clearing off accolades and various events in single player that I had not done yet.

I saw there was a reward for doing the Juggernaut in a Ford.

... so I chose my weapon, and stuck to it.

And by the SKIN OF MY TEETH I pulled it off. Woo!

Behold, my choice to get 3 stars in a cross-map Trailblazer:

FNDBKAll.jpg

oSVoCztl.png

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Next time I get on I’ll send a request to the PA club. Giant Bomb has a lot of dudes in it but they’re not doing much in terms of rivals, etc.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Spent a big chunk of today going through and clearing off accolades and various events in single player that I had not done yet.

FNDBKAll.jpg

oSVoCztl.png

Hey I'm on that list! Though I do not recall what the f my penhall cholla is.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular

...image snip...

You son of a bee. You beat me by .23 seconds!
    *shakes fist at the sky*

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    And yeah you can easily do arcade events, if anything they are too easy, so get those knocked out before they "fix" them.

Yeah I’ve been so frustrated with them, and they’re still technically broken, I get one or two people showing up. But frankly if they’re broken and paying out with rewards and completions that’s better than being broken and unplayable

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021

...image snip...

You son of a bee. You beat me by .23 seconds!
    *shakes fist at the sky*

Other way around. That is time remaining. I literally crossed the goal at the last possible frame to get 3 stars. You are ahead of me. :)

Edit: now more than once I have seen 2-3 others adding score to the arcade, but not seen them on the map. So it likely just has to do with the server sharding.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I just joined the PA and to celebrate did the Goliath.

Y’All are monsters

• Options
    Ethea wrote: »
    I just joined the PA and to celebrate did the Goliath.

Y’All are monsters

This got me thinking about just how accurate the drivatars are.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/how-forza-s-drivatar-actually-works

Interesting article!

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    To be clear, y’all drivatars arent ramming monsters. But more of the monsters that block passes really well

• Options
    dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    This is only because not many people are doing Rivals on the Cross Country tracks yet, but I (barely) got a top 100 time for the first time ever!
    5t7mf62kfelk.png

Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Get a C class offroad tune for a Jeep CJ5 Renegade 1976, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2012, or Willys MB Jeep 1945 and hold on to your butts.

6EH7Z5t.png

Ignore that it says street race, that's only so you get the cool flare checkpoints (which are entirely bugged in Eventlab and do not show up when you're making the route so some of them are placed a little weirdly because I was 100% guessing).
    Most of the time when I test it for real, the checkpoints load as flags and it looks lame. Just in case it is broken on Tuesday, I recorded a test for posterity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRtWOgBaHs

Bear is Driving on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Only bug I have noticed so far happened last night.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Last night gave me an itch to create some tracks. I've got some ideas brewing...

Please don't take inspiration from @MyNameIsWalrus. Please don't take inspiration from @MyNameIsWalrus. Please don't take inspiration from @MyNameIsWalrus.

https://youtu.be/Y3GDYsXgNoE

• Options
    whelp. Fuck me, I guess, we're going full GTA Online with this!

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Last night gave me an itch to create some tracks. I've got some ideas brewing...

Please don't take inspiration from @MyNameIsWalrus. Please don't take inspiration from @MyNameIsWalrus. Please don't take inspiration from @MyNameIsWalrus.

Exactly.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

we trackmania now

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Thank god they fixed arcade because otherwise todays daily would have been impossible.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I bought the game a little after release, during the winter season, so I didn't know if it would be possible to get the Mercedes from the series 1 rewards.
    I would need to get all the spring season points to get there.

But I got the last of the available quests done today, so now I just need one more point and there are 2 dailies left. Woop!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just learned that the AMG-one's spoiler and fins or whatever on the front are controlled by the convertible button. For some reason I thought they would be dynamic, like some other cars.

Does convertible settings affect performance in any way, at least in this one? I would expect in Motorsport it does...

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I just learned that the AMG-one's spoiler and fins or whatever on the front are controlled by the convertible button. For some reason I thought they would be dynamic, like some other cars.

Does convertible settings affect performance in any way, at least in this one? I would expect in Motorsport it does...

For the driving mode on the AMG it does. I'm not sure if there are other ones that do that style of thing or not, but I don't believe the pure top-down-top-up convertible ones affect anything outside of visually.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I've been busy doing important stuff:

uchypzxyjegz.png

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    @LBD_Nytetrayn in the paint car screen the option to hit X to change trim should be available for any paint job that can support it. I can't recall if it's called advanced or secondary but you should see the little blue button show up at the bottom of your screen if you can do it.

Quick update here: I took a look, and it seems to be "Color Fine Tune"... and isn't available for the default color scheme there. Wtf?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This might sound stupid, but how do you guys turn in FH? Do you follow the exact position of the racing line if you use that, or do you take the corners differently and if so how?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Cool! I just wa
    Elki wrote: »
    This might sound stupid, but how do you guys turn in FH? Do you follow the exact position of the racing line if you use that, or do you take the corners differently and if so how?

I try my best to follow the line, but also follow my gut. Generally speaking, if the line is blue, I'm full throttle. If it's yellow, I'll let off the gas. And if it's red, I'll brake as hard as I can.

The drive line is theoretically the optimal path for your car with its current tuning. However, road conditions, temps, and other things all affect it. Hence my using it as a rough estimate. I also heavily utilize walls and the rewind feature. :D

• Options
    Depends on where I am at in the race, if I'm around other cars, and the kind of car I'm using. I try not to use the brakes at all unless its a real hard turn.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I've found that I like FWD more, so I tend to slow down before I get to turns, try to go wide, and then accelerate into them to "pull" the car through. ime if I do this correctly and start slowing down before the drive line says I should I can start accelerating even when it's still yellow. I've usually felt that the drive line is pretty good, and that if I'm gonna deviate from it it's generally better to go wider at a slightly higher speed than try to turn more tightly at a slightly slower one.

Some random comments I saw online said this Horizon changed its physics to be more like Motorsport, ie realistic in that you should be slowing down more before going into turns. I can't comment on that since I've never played any of them before.

e: I haven't watched this yet and it's for FH4 but it popped up on my youtubes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLd5fOzFE64

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I have a tendency to not brake enough while going straight before a turn, so I end up braking while turning. Then I end up skidding and going wider than I wanted.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    If there's cars nearby I use them to help get around sharp corners without having to hit the brakes as much

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    If there's cars nearby I use them to help get around sharp corners without having to hit the brakes as much

Yeah I've won tough races by using the car in the lead to uhh help me finish a turn...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hotfix for Xbox Series X/S consoles just went live.

https://support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/en-us/articles/4412208399251-FH5-Release-Notes-December-7th-2021-Hotfix-
    Fixed an issue that would cause some players to become stuck when attempting to save on Series consoles

• Options
    Oh thank god that was annoying this weekend trying to tune up or design a new car and get locked into a save.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    *opens up the vinyl editor*

Oooh. Okay. So you pick primitives and just layer the hell out of them.

... even with a keyboard/mouse, that's kind of clunky in game. And what I'd really like is some kind of way to stencil on top of a known background. Are there any external tools that would let me do that?

• Options
    tsuJaelttilsanetsuJaelttilsane Registered User regular
    *opens up the vinyl editor*

Oooh. Okay. So you pick primitives and just layer the hell out of them.

... even with a keyboard/mouse, that's kind of clunky in game. And what I'd really like is some kind of way to stencil on top of a known background. Are there any external tools that would let me do that?

Apparently being registered on here for 14 years isn't long enough to post links, but something called forza-painter just popped up on the Forza subreddit. It's on Github, and it's the first result of a search of "github forza-painter" on Google. I haven't used it, but it sounds interesting.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I've found that I like FWD more, so I tend to slow down before I get to turns, try to go wide, and then accelerate into them to "pull" the car through. ime if I do this correctly and start slowing down before the drive line says I should I can start accelerating even when it's still yellow. I've usually felt that the drive line is pretty good, and that if I'm gonna deviate from it it's generally better to go wider at a slightly higher speed than try to turn more tightly at a slightly slower one.

Some random comments I saw online said this Horizon changed its physics to be more like Motorsport, ie realistic in that you should be slowing down more before going into turns. I can't comment on that since I've never played any of them before.

e: I haven't watched this yet and it's for FH4 but it popped up on my youtubes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLd5fOzFE64

Might explain why I seem to skid way more the &@$% out in this one.

On another note...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc4aIQCPAew

I've been trying to get this board for a while now. I have the ramp set up, but depending on the vehicle I use, I seem to either wind up overshooting the target, or coming up well short of it.

I don't have the car used in the video. Any recommendations on what I should use or try?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!