As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYOA] Seven Wizards for Seven Apocalypses: Now with an ending slapped on

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Sent from my Motorola Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Delmain wrote: »
    Sent from my Motorola Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

In all seriousness I upgraded from an LG Mach w/ the keyboard slide-out to a newer phone without and am rapidly coming to hate phone posting. I used to like it .

Strategy-wise I think we probably want to continue to win friends and influence people because the other wizards aren't

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

I was going to respond, but it's hella off-topic. Quote this to chat if you want to continue or something and @ me!

Auralynx
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    E (New Thett) 4 % Fortune

I was going to just quote this and then the sloppiness compelled me to fix it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    G 4 % Mana

Okay, maybe I'm the only one who's in favor of letting Tzo'lin do whatever he's doing, but hear me out: he's already stated that we're not part of the Giant's "original unity," meaning that he's (probably?) going to leave us alone when he starts trying to absorb everyone and everything into a fleshblob. And everyone else is likely going to raise arms against him, meaning that he's Not Our Problem. In the meantime, some cash flow is good. If we had bodies to spare (prisoners of war or something), it's worth considering.

We're also quite low on resources, and studying will hurry us along towards Summoning beasties.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Turn 20

Decision E(New Thett) 4 % : Spying on New Thett, researching and leaving Tzo'lin to his weird business in the mine
    Bonuses: +5 Mana, +8 Fortune

Things
    Mana: 58 [+11/turn]
    Fortune: 32/50 [+1/turn]
    Growth: 4/10 [+2/turn]
    Peasants: 11
    Population: 11
    Shelter: 25
    Food: 25
    Resources: 10 [+2*/turn]
    Silver Pieces: 19 [+2*/turn]
    Study: 8/?? Summoning [+2/turn]

*+1d4 to lowest total

The Obsidian Tower
    Fused shards: Foreseen, Loyalist
    +11 mana / turn, +1 resource, / turn, +1 growth / turn, +1 study / turn, +1 fortune / turn
    [Ashvent] - Prevents scrying in the region
    [Scholar's Hall] - Allows research, +1 study/turn

Glassalia
    [Fertile Farm] = +25 food
    [Glass houses] = +25 shelter
    [Lumber yard] = +1 resource / 10 peasants / turn)
    [Tavern] = +1 growth / turn
    [Mercantile Guild] +1d4-1 / turn to lowest of silver pieces or resources
    [Scouting] = Difficulty 15 check when exploring to uncover additional bonuses

New Thett
    Spy = -1 silver pieces / turn, +1 to mercantile guild

Individuals & Armies
    Cinders, The Foreseen Lavashaper
    Combat: 5 dice, 4+ strength [Lucky] [Battle Scholar] [Wizard] [Ranged(short)]
    Equipment: Vulcanus
    Vote bonuses: +1 Mana or +1 Fortune per vote

Skeleton Warriors
    Combat: 2 dice, 8+ strength, [Hard to kill]

Sanders, The Magma Wyrm [adds +25 to fortune threshold. Improves fortunes]

Ingvar's Machine [Imprisoned]
    Combat: 3 dice, 5+ strength, [sluggish]

[Adaptable] During a round, one positive trait of the target is cancelled
    [Lucky] One reroll per round
    [Ranged(short)] Make one attack without retaliation before melee
    [Wizard] Must spend 1 mana / round or lose all but one dice
    [Swarmfighting] +1 on rolls when targeting an enemy targeted by another ally
    [Hard to kill] If beaten in combat make a difficulty 8 check. On success the unit is not destroyed
    [Sluggish] Only rolls dice every second round
    [Battle Scholar] +1 study / round and +1 study on a natural 10

Artifacts
    Vulcanus
    Grants Ranged(short) to the bearer
    Intelligent(?)

The Archive
    Reflections on the twin shards and their ultimate connection to the artifact once known as The Weir
    Lowers difficulty of drawing by 2
    Increases output of drawing by +1/dice
    Increases mana income by +1 / turn
    Allows shard fusion/destruction

A detailed consideration of the entities which lurk below and how to effectively bind them into perpetual servitude
    Allows Smoulderlings and Elephantites to be summoned

Diplomacy
    The Drowned Lady: Caldeot, the town by the Drowned City
    Relations: Respectful and amiable

Sultan Ofan: New Thett, the merchant hub
    Relations: Besotted
    Spy in place: Undetected
    Military: 15 dice at 7+ strength

Nephroditi: The Bonemancer Wanderer
    Relations: Business-like
    Trade route: +1 silver piece / turn

Selin:The Spirit-Weaver
    Relations: Unsettling, but positive

Tzo'lin: The Undying Pious servant of The Bound Giant

Ingvar: The Instigator Mechano-Sage
    Relations: Unknown

Axiom: The Fistcaster Loyalist

Summary
    Cinders watched the little balls of soot as they scurried this way and that across the warm tiled floor of the study. She wasn't quite sure what they were trying to achieve as they raced around one another, occasionally coming into head-on contact which would more often than not leave a single much larger ball of living soot. Still, when she pointed at one part of the floor they would all assemble into a rough mass and that was all the confirmation that she needed really. The binding spells had worked.

There were countless entities in the heart of the world, but two specific species had caught her attention in the first instance. There were rapid shoals of something rapid and agressive. She'd dubbed these as Smoulderlings and while they were undoubtedly creatures of lava they had something of the thunder about them, some slight elemental nudge. Similarly, the Elephantite was less than a pure creature of the magma deeps. It was polluted by mud, making it cautious and slow. No use at all as a fighter, but given the size of the damn things, they could probably be put to work. It was hard to know more without summoning up some examples, but already Cinders was considering the next iteration. She was limited to the power of an entity that she could force her will upon, and there was one thing down there in particular that had caught her imagination. It was vast and ancient and it needed to be hers, but it was outside of her reach just yet.
    [Experiments give +6 study. Completes current topic. May now summon Smoulderlings and Elephantites]

While Cinders had been unlocking arcane secrets, one of her peasants had migrated over to New Thett to open a tailoring business. She'd left with the financial backing of Glassalia, but with no official connection and now her first missives were returning with the trade wagons. Most of it was insider trading information for Arcbeth and the rest of the mercantile guild, but there were a few other comments of interest. First was that New Thett was employing mercenaries from the south under the cover of bolstering its town guard, but the reality was quite obviously concerned with raising an army with Caldeot being the obvious target. And additionally, was that the Sultan seemed to have high hopes to marrying off one of his many children to one of the wizards, whether that was Cinderella herself or one of her less able companions.
    [spy in New Thett. -1 peasants, -1 silver / turn, +1 to mercantile guild. You now have up to date information of number of dice and mean strength of the standing army. Currently 15dice and 7+]

The hour had come. Cinders descended to the village and followed the throbbing filaments of lava in the earth below. They led her to the northern edge, and there she found Axiom. The wizard was not looking well. His skin was shiny and pink from where his previous encounter with Cinders had left him burnt and blackened. The eye was drawn to his new ghostly appendage, however. It seemed that the fistcaster was less inconvenienced by the lack of a limb than might have been expected.
    "You knew I'd be back, Cinderella. You had to. It's time for your punishment"

Cinders had been prepared for this encounter, and she was hoping to direct the fury of Axiom elsewhere. The man was a fanatic but he could hopefully be guided elsewhere by playing to his fears about the possibility of broken shards preventing the restoration of The Weir. She spoke only briefly, asking Axiom to tell her what he knew about Tzo'lin and his plans for the world.
    [Diplomacy roll, it's a long shot so difficulty 14. It's an 11. Failure]

Her words fell on deaf ears. He didn't even offer a reply outside of a wordless scream. In a hemicircle around Axion pairs of gauntlets came into existence, raised and ready to fight. Axiom's own fists, the living one and the ethereal one, both ballooned to massive proportions. And then they all charged together. The militia charged in from the trees, while the skeletons loped after them. Vulcanus leapt into the chaos, whirling through the ranks of the phantom fists and reducing them to useless lumps of scrap metal on the ground.

Axiom closed with Cinders herself while his swarms of flying gauntlets distracted her allies,
    "Don't worry. Tzo'lin won't be spared. Once I'm done here I'll head to Drome and finish him off. He's a useless blob of skin and fat now, it will be easy. But you, Cinderella. You're first. And you know why?"

He crouched underneath the flight path of Vulcanus as he spoke. Behind Axion, Cinders could see that most of the fistcasters' allies had fallen now but so had her own spearmen. The bloody and beaten forms had been overwhelmed shortly after their charge.
    "It's because of MY ARM!"

Cinders was surrounded by a blur of blows but she stepped around them effortlessly. She had seen all of these attacks before. She patiently dodged until the moment came when Axiom's attention was diverted by the sudden arrival of a swarm of skeletons, and then she turned him into a pillar of ash. It was not an auspicious end. He did not deserve one. There was one less wizard in the world.
    [Battle lasts three rounds with Cinders rolling three 10s, -3 mana, +6 study. Militia are killed. Axiom is deafeated.]

The ash sparkled strangely in the midday light, but soon the winds gathered and scattered them out to sea.

[Tzo'lin will destroy his crystal and reawaken his god on turn 30]

Decision Time
    (A letter and a number and specify Mana/Fortune for your vote bonus)

Peasant action:
    A*: Build houses (shelter for 25 peasants) (costs 15 resources)[/s]
    B*: Build a farm (+20 food) (Costs 15 resources)[/s]
    C: Build a ship (allows contact with Drome and whaling) (costs 100 resources)
    D: Scout the mainland [specify southwest, south, east]
    E : Send a spy to Caldeot (costs 1 peasant, 10 silver pieces and 1 silver piece / turn)
    F: Raise militia (produces a [Militia] unit, costs 5 resources and 5 peasants)
    G : Work a double shift on the sawmill (produces 5+1d6 resources)

*requires choosing option 1 due to a lack of resources

Cinders action:
    1: Help the peasants (Pay 2x resource cost in mana and 0 resources on build, or pay 5 mana on production to obtain +1d8 resources) [Make sure the peasant action chosen makes sense]
    2: Try to draw more mana from the crystal shards (difficulty 11: Success gains 3d8+3 mana, Failure is bad)
    3: Construct a mana focus (costs 50 mana. Reduces drawing difficulty by 3 and adds +1d8 to drawing)
    4: Accelerate the experiments (costs 3 mana to obtain +1d8 study)
    5: Summon Smoulderlings (produces a [Smoulderling] unit, 4 dice, 6+ [Obscuring], costs 40 mana)
    6: Summon an Elephantite (produces labour equivalent to 15 peasants, costs 30 mana and 1mana/turn)
    7: Call for an audience with Nephroditi (costs 3 mana)
    8: Boil the lake to expose the drowned city (costs 100 mana)
    9: Attack/Annex Caldeot/New Thett (choose one and specify units)
    10: Personally travel to New Thett to accept the Sultan's hospitality (specify any units to accompany Cinders)
    11: Try to persuade Caldeot / Lord Laren (from New Thett) to claim (back) the mine (difficulty 8, moves Tzo'lin's destiny event forward 5 turns and may free up the mine)
    12: Attack the mine to destroy the avatar of Tzo'lin (gains the mine +2 resources and +1 silver / turn)
    13: Give Tzo'lin his sacrifice (specify any units to accompany Cinders) (costs 10 peasants, gains the mine +2 resources and +1 silver / turn)
    14: Release the automaton and follow it to the tundra and Ingvar's reunion (specify units)
    15: Muse quietly on your throne (effectively a turn skip)

[obscuring]: target rolls one fewer dice (cannot reduce dice rolled to fewer than one)

Study selection:
    £: On the interactions of lavashaping with the wider inherent energies of the natural world, a study into previously forbidden aspects of the college [Improves lavashaping wizardry] (50 study)
    $: A treatise around the beast which lurks at the heart of the world, its unfathomable and terrible energies and how to effectively direct them [Improves summoning] (50 study)
    %: Of the interplay between bonemancy and lavashaping: Flaming skulls or smouldering corpses? [Synergy with or defence against bonemancy] (10 study)
    &: Dismemberment of the physical form and distillation of the dominant ethers within the autonomous construct gifted by the wizard Ingvar [Extract secrets from Ingvar's machine] (10 study) - Prevents following it to the tundra
    @: A discourse concerning cosmological systems: On the marvellous proportion of the celestial spheres and on the true and particular causes of the number, magnitude and periodic motions of the heavens [Improves foreseen wizardry] (50 study)
    #: On the origin of Vulcanus by means of ethereal selection, and the sub splintering of the world crystal [Improves Vulcanus] (25 study)

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Delmain
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Sorry about the crappy post - festively short on time today.

• zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    CRAP! lost all the militia and learn the giant is on the other side of the ocean. Time for some more knowledge, geography, rumors, and Ingvar. Turtle this turn and figure out what the heck we gonna do.

EDIT: smolderings are better than militia by a bunch, so mana to get more units.

E(Caldot) 7, & Mana

zekebeau on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015

D(East), 10(skeletons), %, Fortune

If we go to Thett, we can ask the sultan to send a fighting force to take out Tzo'lin in his cave. If it works, great, and he can't link us to the attack. If it doesn't work, we can tell Tzo'lin that we did that on purpose to give him meat puppets so he'll give us the mine and curry his favor.

I picked Fire Skeleton study because we'll knock it out next turn with the amount of Study we have on hand and will be getting next turn. If things get bad in New Thett, we'll have Fire Skeletons.

Edit: And that's hardly a crappy post, Mojo. This thing is going swell, and I'm really enjoying this!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    G 7 & Fortune

I am still fine with calling Neph, maybe she can get to Drome faster, and may reward us for the information. If not, I'd like to get closer to affording a ship. I'm split between the 2 easiest study options, so I could be swayed to either. If we buy more skeletons, the bonemancy one will be useful, but the other will help prepare for Ingvar.

Lucky we have good research skills, so we can wrap either pretty quick. But I think Ingvar is more likely to be time sensitive, while we can easily wait for bone magic combos.

G 3 % Mana

We need mana, guys. The only way to get a boat to get to Drome is going to be with 200 mana (or like, trading for one from New Thett I guess maybe?)

In the short term though, I think we should save some silver, try calling Neph tomorrow and buying another set of skeletons (if we can), researching the bonemancy synergy, then we'll be in a much better military standpoint if we want to take out the cave flesh beast

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    E 4 & +Fortune

@Mojo_Jojo 11: Try to persuade Caldeot / Lord Laren (from New Thett) to claim (back) the mine (difficulty 8, moves Tzo'lin's destiny event forward 5 turns and may free up the mine)

Did you mean moves the event back 5 turns? since destroying his avatar was supposed to disrupt his event previously.

If he did, then I've got a vote to change

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    E 5 #

edited December 2015
    zekebeau wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo 11: Try to persuade Caldeot / Lord Laren (from New Thett) to claim (back) the mine (difficulty 8, moves Tzo'lin's destiny event forward 5 turns and may free up the mine)

Did you mean moves the event back 5 turns? since destroying his avatar was supposed to disrupt his event previously.
    If he gets the bodies he needs it'll happen earlier. Persuading/tricking people to try and get hold of the mine is just finding another source of those delicious peasants he wanted but there's obviously some risks

Destroying the avatar makes it happen later.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited December 2015
    I was thinking Caldeot/New Thett would send troops to destroy the construct. They would likely rather throw 10 peasants at the problem than try to take the mine by force and risk losing troops with a rival so close. That makes sense. So the diplomacy is more to save us the 10 peasants if we want to help Tzo'lin.

Celebrim on
    Ah, that makes sense. Less "get an ally to destroy it" and more "one way or another the price will be paid in blood." Then I stand by my decision, lets get the traveling bone show up here and figure out more of our surroundings and Ingvar.

• TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    E6% - Fortune

Getting a elephantite up and running will improve our resource generation, putting a spy in caldeot will give us a lot more information to work with. We need to delay Tzo'lin and the best way to do that is to make sure we have the best cards on hand, and if that turns up nothing we'll have to produce a bigger army and gank him with that.
    With the elephantite I think we can convert 10 citizen into milita, they should be much sturdier with their swarmfighting techniques then. A smouldering ontop of that should help.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    E 6 % Mana

We need more workers. And sending a second spy to bolster our income seems okay.

Also FLAMING SKELINGTONS

Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Why is this cloud here?
    Why must it spite me?
    Are we back in the fight?

• wiltingwilting Registered User regular
    E 7 % Fortune

We need to talk to Nephroditi. In the long term we are going to need resources for ship building, but a spy is good idea for now.

Question: How much mana would it take to just turn make the mine go up as a volcano?

I think more than it would take to boil off a lake, but I think Mojo is limiting that option just because it would immediately become our go-to solution for any problem. Caldeot is threatening war? Volcano. Ingvar is trying to get our shard? Volcano. The peasants need a new bakery to increase bread production? Volcano.

Maybe if you researched lava magic a bit more you'd be able to raise volcanoes

Invictus
    Researching Pound next, got it

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Maybe if you researched lava magic a bit more you'd be able to raise volcanoes

What about just going stalagmite/stalactites everywhere and having the cave start chewing?

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    G 4 $ Fortune

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • RoonieRoonie Registered User regular
    G 6 $ Mana If we summon an Elephantite it would improve our work force and get us more resources, that puts us closer to a ship. If we focus on improving summoning, when we need to start building an army (which seems likely) this will help us. Focusing on mana right now will help us I think in the long run with all the things we need to build/create.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    I did Fortune because Fortune has helped us out so far with each of our resources (except mana), and one mana makes very little difference given our 11 mana income whereas we have no base fortune income.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    jakobagger
    Eh militia are weak compared to smolder and are only 10 mana more.

edited December 2015
    Turn 21

Decision E G 6 7 % : C H R I S T M A S M I R A C L E A C T I V A T E D
    Spying, forced labour, elephantites, Nephroditi and researching bonemancy
    Bonuses: +4 Mana, +7 Fortune

Things
    Mana: 40 [+10/turn]
    Fortune: 40/50 [+1/turn]
    Growth: 6/10 [+2/turn]
    Peasants: 10 (effectively 25)
    Population: 11
    Shelter: 25
    Food: 25
    Resources: 21 [+3*/turn]
    Silver Pieces: 11 [+1*/turn]
    Study: 10/?? Summoning [+2/turn]

*+1d4+1 to lowest total

The Obsidian Tower
    Fused shards: Foreseen, Loyalist
    +11 mana / turn, +1 resource, / turn, +1 growth / turn, +1 study / turn, +1 fortune / turn
    [Ashvent] - Prevents scrying in the region
    [Scholar's Hall] - Allows research, +1 study/turn

Glassalia
    [Fertile Farm] = +25 food
    [Glass houses] = +25 shelter
    [Lumber yard] = +1 resource / 10 peasants / turn)
    [Tavern] = +1 growth / turn
    [Mercantile Guild] +1d4-1 / turn to lowest of silver pieces or resources
    [Scouting] = Difficulty 15 check when exploring to uncover additional bonuses

New Thett

Caldeot

Individuals & Armies
    Cinders, The Foreseen Lavashaper
    Combat: 5 dice, 4+ strength [Lucky] [Battle Scholar] [Wizard] [Ranged(short)]
    Equipment: Vulcanus
    Vote bonuses: +1 Mana or +1 Fortune per vote

Skeleton Warriors
    Combat: 2 dice, 8+ strength, [Hard to kill]

Sanders, The Magma Wyrm [adds +25 to fortune threshold. Improves fortunes]

Ingvar's Machine [Imprisoned]
    Combat: 3 dice, 5+ strength, [sluggish]

Elephantite x1
    -1 mana/turn
    15 peasants of labour

[Adaptable] During a round, one positive trait of the target is cancelled
    [Lucky] One reroll per round
    [Ranged(short)] Make one attack without retaliation before melee
    [Wizard] Must spend 1 mana / round or lose all but one dice
    [Swarmfighting] +1 on rolls when targeting an enemy targeted by another ally
    [Hard to kill] If beaten in combat make a difficulty 8 check. On success the unit is not destroyed
    [Sluggish] Only rolls dice every second round
    [Battle Scholar] +1 study / round and +1 study on a natural 10
    [Armoured N] Unit has N armour that are lost in place of dice
    [Obscuring]: target rolls one fewer dice (cannot reduce dice rolled to fewer than one)

Artifacts
    Vulcanus
    Grants Ranged(short) to the bearer
    Intelligent(?)

The Archive
    Reflections on the twin shards and their ultimate connection to the artifact once known as The Weir
    Lowers difficulty of drawing by 2
    Increases output of drawing by +1/dice
    Increases mana income by +1 / turn
    Allows shard fusion/destruction

A detailed consideration of the entities which lurk below and how to effectively bind them into perpetual servitude
    Allows Smoulderlings and Elephantites to be summoned

Of the interplay between bonemancy and lavashaping: Flaming skulls or smouldering corpses?
    Choice pending

Diplomacy
    The Drowned Lady: Caldeot, the town by the Drowned City
    Relations: Respectful and amiable
    Military: 10 dice at 6+ strength all with [Armoured 1/2]

Sultan Ofan: New Thett, the merchant hub
    Relations: Besotted
    Military: 15 dice at 7+ strength

Nephroditi: The Bonemancer Wanderer
    Relations: Business-like
    Trade route: +1 silver piece / turn

Selin:The Silver-tongued Spirit-Weaver
    Relations: Friendly

Tzo'lin: The Undying Pious servant of The Bound Giant
    Relations: Unsettling, but positive

Ingvar: The Instigator Mechano-Sage
    Relations: Unknown

Axiom: The Fistcaster Loyalist

Summary
    The people of Glassalia had all but stopped working for a full day and night. If Cinders hadn't been occupied with more important matters herself then perhaps she would have felt compelled to hold a few public immolations to spur her people along. As it was they gathered around the Vulcanus' tavern in the centre of the settlement and spent the day feasting and singing and being thankful and even exchanging gifts. Cook even dressed up in a preposterous red suit and stalked the children through the vitreous streets. It was an unforgivable waste of time on the face of it and yet the following day when the overindulgence had abated the peasants were refreshed and energised. They worked harder than they ever had before.
    [+9 resources from double shift]

Cinders' man arrived in Caldeot. She now had agents in both of the nearby towns. Unsurprisingly, the military strength of the The Order of the Drowned was greater than the rag-tag mercenary squads being fielded to the south. What they lacked in numbers they made up for with superior training and equipment. Not least of which was the impressive plate mail that many of the knights themselves wore. Any attack on the custodians of the Drowned City would need to be magnificent to overcome those defences. And yet despite the predilection for avoiding agression there was certainly growing support for a war with New Thett amongst the townsfolk.
    [spy in Caldeot -1 peasants, -1 silver / turn, +1 to mercantile guild. You now have up to date information of number of dice and mean strength of the standing army. Currently 10dice and 6+ and all units have [Armoured 1] or [Armoured 2]]

It was her new embryonic apprentice that was taking so much of Cinders' time. The first stages were nearing completion and soon her protégée would emerge. In the meantime, she busied herself with a practical execution of her recent learnings and called forth the first of her Elephantites. The spell was simple but required time and patience. For six hours Cinders stood atop her tower staring down at the beach weaving her spell. For six hours nothing happened at all. And then with the spell complete, one of the vast servile beasts was pulled up onto the surface realm. At first it seemed to lack any kind of form at all, just a writhing mass of earth and metal but after it settled down and came to terms both with a new life of labouring on the lavashaper's behalf and also the strange environment its form became clear.

The Elephantite was a peculiar creature. It was towered over the peasants of Glassalia, easily tripling the height of the tallest of them, but its body was relatively compact. A little rough sphere maybe three feet across that resembled little more than an unworked clod of clay. From the underside of the body came a solitary metallic post which tapered downwards gradually over its length. Where it should have ended in a point however, it exploded into a star of flailing limbs. There were at least a score of them and each was unique, being unable to even agree on how many joints they should have. The limbs were generally narrow, like a child's arm, but incredibly long and apparently formed of a mishmash of metal, soil and stone in equal measure. They sank through the ground, whether it was sand or rock or even tilled earth, as if it were little more than mist. Whatever they came to rest on was some distance below the surface.

At first they spread terror amongst the peasants, but it soon became clear that this was no alien terror from the deep, it was here to serve and obey. The Elephantite tended to move at a speed which could barely register with most of the peasants and for the most part they were perceived as distressing statues. It was this lack of speed that made them worthless for any martial endeavours. But they were incalculably strong, the pressure of a limb, when it deigned to touch a tree, was enough to tear it from the roots up out of the ground. Similarly, the passage of the creature occasionally left clusters of fused metallic elements, much like droppings. Strange as it was, the Elephantite was extraordinarily useful.
    [Elephantite summoned, -30 mana and -1 mana / turn. ]

In her study, Cinders finished scratching at another slab of dark igneous rock while a forgotten token of a fellow mage twinkled on her desk. Bonemancy was an odd magic, but it was not entirely cut off from her own understanding. Her skeletal warriors had been specimens enough to study. She'd found a weakness in the magic. One that she could take advantage of, but it required making a decision. Bonemancy did not sit upon the wheel of elements; it did not favour mud more than rain. It was a fresh dimension that any elementalist could exploit. The rivulets of bonemancy that kept her bone warriors moving could be destructively exploited. The question was the size of that destruction. A constant minor pulsing of the connections would distort and confuse the magic, making any mage such as Cinders far more effective in battling one such as Nephroditi. A much larger surge through those same connections could only be achieved for entities under her thrall but would result in far more impressive destruction. Sadly, it would not be possible to do both.
    [Of the interplay between bonemancy and lavashaping: Flaming skulls or smouldering corpses? completed. Research gives two options, makes all [wizard] units more effective against bonemancy targets by granting [Deadslayer] (difficulty 7 roll each round to destroy one dice of bonemancy enemies in combat regardless of current target), or makes bonemancy units more effective by replacing [Hard to kill] with [Volatile] (when defeated perform an instantaneous max dice attack on all enemy units)]

The faint throb of drumming indicated that Nephroditi had finally arrived. It had been simple enough to call her, and Cinders had no doubt that if the need had been urgent then Nephroditi would have seized a nearby corpse and arrived instantaneously. Instead, she had once again brought the entirety of the Caravan of Bones. And it had grown considerably. Eight wagons were now rolling into a circle just outside Glassalia. All around the figures of bones danced and drummed.

As Cinders arrived the skeletal horde collapsed, and a moment later Nephroditi was striding forward from where the closest of her minions had been,
    "Cinderella! Daaarling. So good to see you again. This little corner of this hateful place has certainly come along. It's been so long. Tell me everything, daaarling! No wait. Let me tell you my news first."

The bonemancer turned,
    "Selin! My love, stop hiding. You know our friend Cinderella. Come and say hello."

One of the wagon doors slowly opened and Selin, the Silver-tongued Spirit-Weaver emerged. Selin had always had a way with people. It was utterly unassuming but impossibly charming. Her mild ways contrasted with her oversized form. She was at least a head taller than Nephroditi. For another, being oversized would have been a handicap but it simply let more people enjoy Selin's company. She was intensely beautiful in a way that defied description, but physical beauty was only skin deep and everybody found themselves loving Selin on a much deeper level. It was no surprise that once Nephroditi had started setting up a trading empire that Selin would get involved either as a close ally or as a terrible rival. And here she was, smiling as she strode towards Cinders.

"Cinderella. Brave Cinderella. This" she gestured around Glassalia and the tower "is incredible. You always had such talent."

Not wanting to lose her own spotlight, Nephroditi clapped her hands,
    "Oh! Daaarling, have you met with that nasty fistcaster? We had a little run in with Axiom not long ago. He is not... well. This world does not suit him and I rather worry he begrudges of all of us as being responsible for his transportation here. Silly man, if he hadn't interrupted the ritual then he'd not be here at all. Oh, it is a shame, daaarling. Have you news of the others? I briefly saw Talen but it was a while ago now. She had been visited by one of Ingvar's contraptions and had decided to hear him out. I do worry with not hearing from her since. I really do. Still, let's not dwell on such things. The three of us are here, let's take tea and talk business. I even brought the tea myself this time."

The bonemancer edged forward conspiratorially, a motion which caused Selin to give Cinders a knowing mock exasperated look, and whispered,
    "I won't even try and take any of your strapping young men off you this time, daaarling."

[Nephroditi's here, with Selin, the silver-tongued]

[Tzo'lin will destroy his crystal and reawaken his god on turn 30]

Decision Time
    (A letter, a number, two symbols, an Xoption and specify Mana/Fortune for your vote bonus)

Peasant action:
    A: Build houses (shelter for 25 peasants) (costs 15 resources)[/s]
    B: Build a farm (+20 food) (Costs 15 resources)[/s]
    C: Build a ship (allows contact with Drome and whaling) (costs 100 resources)
    D: Scout the mainland [specify southwest, south, east]
    F: Raise militia (produces a [Militia] unit, costs 5 resources and 5 peasants)
    G : Work a double shift on the sawmill (produces 5+1d6 resources)

Cinders action:
    1: Help the peasants (Pay 2x resource cost in mana and 0 resources on build, or pay 5 mana on production to obtain +1d8 resources) [Make sure the peasant action chosen makes sense]
    2: Try to draw more mana from the crystal shards (difficulty 11: Success gains 3d8+3 mana, Failure is bad)
    3: Construct a mana focus (costs 50 mana. Reduces drawing difficulty by 3 and adds +1d8 to drawing)
    4: Accelerate the experiments (costs 3 mana to obtain +1d8 study)
    5: Summon Smoulderlings (produces a [Smoulderling] unit, 4 dice, 6+ [Obscuring], costs 40 mana)
    6: Summon an Elephantite (produces labour equivalent to 15 peasants, costs 30 mana and 1mana/turn)
    8: Boil the lake to expose the drowned city (costs 100 mana)
    9: Attack/Annex Caldeot/New Thett (choose one and specify units)
    10: Personally travel to New Thett to accept the Sultan's hospitality (specify any units to accompany Cinders)
    11: Try to persuade Caldeot / Lord Laren (from New Thett) to claim (back) the mine (difficulty 8, moves Tzo'lin's destiny event forward 5 turns and may free up the mine)
    12: Attack the mine to destroy the avatar of Tzo'lin (gains the mine +2 resources and +1 silver / turn)
    13: Give Tzo'lin his sacrifice (specify any units to accompany Cinders) (costs 10 peasants, gains the mine +2 resources and +1 silver / turn)
    14: Release the automaton and follow it to the tundra and Ingvar's reunion (specify units)
    15: Muse quietly on your throne (effectively a turn skip)

Outcome of previous study:
    ?: Power against bonemancy - makes all [wizard] units more effective against bonemancy targets by granting [Deadslayer] (difficulty 7 roll each round to destroy one dice of bonemancy enemies in combat regardless of current target)
    %: Skeletons that explode - makes bonemancy units more effective by replacing [Hard to kill] with [Volatile] (when defeated perform an instantaneous max dice attack on all enemy units)

New Study selection:
    £: On the interactions of lavashaping with the wider inherent energies of the natural world, a study into previously forbidden aspects of the college [Improves lavashaping wizardry] (50 study)
    $: A treatise around the beast which lurks at the heart of the world, its unfathomable and terrible energies and how to effectively direct them [Improves summoning] (50 study)
    &: Dismemberment of the physical form and distillation of the dominant ethers within the autonomous construct gifted by the wizard Ingvar [Extract secrets from Ingvar's machine] (10 study) - Prevents following it to the tundra
    @: A discourse concerning cosmological systems: On the marvellous proportion of the celestial spheres and on the true and particular causes of the number, magnitude and periodic motions of the heavens [Improves foreseen wizardry] (50 study)
    #: On the origin of Vulcanus by means of ethereal selection, and the sub splintering of the world crystal [Improves Vulcanus] (25 study)

Audience selection:
    X1: Attack Selin and Nephroditi
    X2: Invite the pair into the tower for trade talks
    X3: Invite the pair to stay for a few days in Glassalia to deepen the bond (trade will still happen)

(Let me know if there's any particular information / proposals you'd like to put to them so I can add it to the options for the next post)

Mojo_Jojo on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    D (South) - 5 - ? - # - X3

F 5 ? & X3

Getting on a war footing (militia and smolder) learn about the robot, and build up a tourism board. Visit Lovely Glassalia, where the only thing hotter than the lava is the nightlife!

I'd like to tell them about the end of Axiom (but leave out our taking the shard) and how there is a world in a world going on, and Tzo'lin's current creepy condition. Grill them on what they know vis a vis, Sultan, sunken city, other wizards, and Tzo'lin. See if we can get her to give us some bone soldiers to take out Tzo'lin, I doubt a big god stomping round is in her favor (or maybe she has some powerful teleport things).

If they want to play the "I'm aloof and don't pick sides" card then we should encourage them to start a nice B&B here to increase growth and take advantage of our beautiful coastline. Glassalia, bring back that spark!

Delmain
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    G 5 % # X3 - Fortune

https://jordanswaytour.com/ https://lolasrescue.com/special-events
    Join me in a fundraiser to benefit Lola's Rescue, a non-profit animal shelter.
    January 28th, 6-10pm, MST
    Also, so excited this is back by the way.

:heartbeat: <-imagine this is actually burning with the heat of the world's magma-pulsing core.

Delmain
  • TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    F 5 ? # X3 - Fortune

Also, I'd like us to give the information regarding Tzo'lin and his coming attempt at shattering his shard to Nephroditi in exchange for her delivering that information to Ingvar.
    We too should inquire if she is interested in some information brokering and if so, what sort of knowledge she wishes to barter for. (We do have a spy network now afterall, and perhaps we can put it to more specific use).

G 4 ? (Pound) X3 - Fortune

I second wanting to tell Nephroditi about Axiom (minus his shard) and Tzo'lin, while following up on Talen

G 5 ? & X3 Fortune

I'm still for pushing for the boat with supplies, and using mana/silver for units.

I'd still like to get rid of the potential spy in our dungeons, and we have the study now to research the construct.

Deepening relations and improving combat against the bonemancer at the same time seems at cross purposes, but I like the Hard to Kill ability and with Neph's ego I'm not sure if we can ever subjugate her without force. I'd actually be more interested in learning about Selin. If we can turn her to our side, it would make defeating Neph in the future much easier.