As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Fallout] Thread: Probably Not A Synth Imposter

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    From the last thread:

Madican, that thing you want....you can apparently get it really easy, and I can't tell if it's a glitch or not.
    You will meet a dog, and that dog can apparently grab the freeze gun out of the locked case for you.
    Allegedly. It doesn't seem to work for everybody.

Yeah, at first it didn't work for me, but then it did. Not sure what I did differently.

Huh, I'll have to try this, thanks.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I got a legendary fatman that has armor and energy resistance reduction. That seems a little overkillish. I mean not double projectile overkill like the video, but still its a fatman it doesn't need to reduce an enemies resistance!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So I just finished my first playthrough.

End game choices questions:

I went all the way Institute. They made me kill off the Railroad leaders. Then it was the whole assault on BOS.

It seemed like I really didn't have a choice in those matters. Is there a different end-game if I don't side with the institute somehow? How do I do such?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »

I went all the way Institute. They made me kill off the Railroad leaders. Then it was the whole assault on BOS.

It seemed like I really didn't have a choice in those matters. Is there a different end-game if I don't side with the institute somehow? How do I do such?
    If you do quests for and side with the bos or railroad they give quests to kill the other eachother respectively and then blow up the institute

Minutemen once you get 8 settlements and build the teleporter you eventually get a quest to defend castle from the institute and then you strike back and blow it the institute.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Its basically the same for all 3.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »

Its basically the same for all 3.
    I went Railroad, which seems like the path to maximum explosions. I can't imagine destroying the Railroad would match the spectacle of destroying the Prydwen and Institute.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2015
    e:
    Wrong thread.

Yeah Bionic;
    The railroad gets the most. The other two just go in and shoot up the railroad place, no explosives wasted.

Morkath on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    The game really talks up Coursers. I just ran into my first and I was armed for bear and chemmed for Keith Richards.

He was a pushover. Kinda disappointed, now.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Running around in T-60d now with my Tony Stark character

Something like 1400 physical and energy resistance

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Running around in T-60d now with my Tony Stark character

Something like 1400 physical and energy resistance

I have a fully upgraded power armor spoiler

Enclave set

Resistances are ridiculous. Like I slugged it out with everything in the glowing land and only one leg got winged up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Question: When rolling a new character, is there any reason not to just load a quicksave immediately prior to the character finalization options in Vault 111?

Like, are there any Bobbleheads or anything missable (the SPECIAL book?) in the pre-war prologue?

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Question: When rolling a new character, is there any reason not to just load a quicksave immediately prior to the character finalization options in Vault 111?

Like, are there any Bobbleheads or anything missable (the SPECIAL book?) in the pre-war prologue?

Nothing in pre vault section, in fact if you take too long you just get blown up. Just make a save before finalization on exiting the vault.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

I'm not sure but doing that would probably result in multiple characters in one profile. Which could be a pain if you want to load up an old character. Since all thhe saves would be grouped together.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

I'm not sure but doing that would probably result in multiple characters in one profile. Which could be a pain if you want to load up an old character. Since all thhe saves would be grouped together.
    @Road Block @SummaryJudgment
    Change the name and it will generate a new character thread. There is no reason as far as I can see to do the prologue again unless you really want to beat the whole game on survival including the 4 radroaches

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Institute spoiler
    I went with the Railroad for building the signal teleporter. Problem was, I had already built up the site the way I wanted it. I ended up putting on the roof of my already 3 story building, so it's super Dr. Frankenstein now. The problem with THAT was that the damn base clipped through the roof, and wouldn't snap together. I ended up putting down 2 extra roof pieces stacked up, then the emitter, and rhen deleted the extra roofing. That worked. Sheesh.

Now to run off to the Institute for the first time. Wish me luck, fellas!

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

I don't think you can change sex from the prologue 'last chance' option, otherwise, there's nothing to take in the prologue.

In other news, I had 75 fusion cores. I've just started jetpacking and suit sprinting everwhere. Now I am down to 72. The only resources I come close to running out of are the semi-rare building materials. But now I come across new weapons and armor so rarely that it doesn't even matter (unless I want to paint all of my suits standing out front).

I sort of wish everything were a bit more sparse. Fewer things to loot, fewer raiders, a need to spend caps or scrounge for ammo (the only thing in limited supply are mini nukes, but I don't use a fatman). Maybe have Commonwealth landmarks spread out a little more (although that's not really easily moddable). I have so many caps I could build a Scrooge McDuck money bin. I wish there was something you could feed caps into to improve settlements or your gear further (like paying a store to set up a caravan route for luxury goods to improve happiness or hiring mercenaries/police/soldiers for defense/patrols instead of "all turrets, all the time").

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So! I really didn't like the brotherhood.
    Past tense.

There are no more brotherhood. I decided to follow the words of Andrew Ryan.
    A (wo)man chooses. A slave obeys.
    So I went and knocked on their door. They answered with some sass. Bad choice. Wrong woman. Wrong day.

I left with 20? more cores than I went in with. And came out with some cool weapons and armor and about 4 or 5 full suits worth of power armor bits.

Job well done, Nick. Job well done. Let's head home and I'll show you my bobblehead collection.

(Note: this was an action undertaken of my own free will and not in any way tied to a quest. Any similarity to any existing quests is unintentional and also a surprise to me )

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Is there a mod that makes all the Junk weightless? I feel like that's the easiest sanity-saving measure that doesn't involve just setting carryweight to an arbitrary number.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Finished the main campaign and am now focused on getting a settlement to max happiness, which seems near impossible. I enjoyed the story well enough overall, though for a game that invokes the Railroad, it sure skimps out on the topic of artificial consciousness. Just "hey, are robots people?!" and that's about it. Also seems ludicrous that there's no way to
    make peace between the Railroad and Institute, seeing as you become the leader of the Institute during the Railroad quest. Wut.

All the same, heck of a game.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Anyone know if settlers actually play basketball if you give them a basketball hoop?

I'm guessing they don't.

But that gas sign at the Red Rocket outside Sanctuary makes an excellent backboard.

RT800 on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    If you're using the extended settlement features mod(I.E. different placeables) be careful with the "scrapall" command at the castle(or well anywhere really) as it will also scrap the doors which contain location swap triggers.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Is there a mod that makes all the Junk weightless? I feel like that's the easiest sanity-saving measure that doesn't involve just setting carryweight to an arbitrary number.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2481/?

I'm using this mod now that I'm on my second run and I'm picking up every piece of junk I find.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I got a legendary fatman that has armor and energy resistance reduction. That seems a little overkillish. I mean not double projectile overkill like the video, but still its a fatman it doesn't need to reduce an enemies resistance!

You kind of do. The fatman damage is partly radiation and some enemies have enough resistance to take enough shots to the chin while getting too close.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So after a week away from home for Thanksgiving, I finally get back to this game. Where I last left off, I barely scraped by a tense firefight with super mutants, including a legendary. Wound up doing a lot of running and hiding, but eventually I wore them all down with sniper fire.

I inspect their base, poke my head through a hatch, finish looting, exit said hatch, and when I poke my head up two mutants that I somehow missed instagib me at close range with rocket launchers.

Fallout 4 is just determined to keep me from having fun for long.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Stealth melee is pretty funny. Got the perk for extra range on melee in VATS and extra stealth damage, and as it turns out, when you target multiple enemies in VATS while hidden each hit is a sneak attack and deals up to 10x melee damage. So if I get closer enough I can clear out a whole room full with a knife.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    So I'm playing a sneaky guy in my second playthrough. Codsworth is my companion currently. He's shit at sneaking, so I usually just have him stay put until I mopped up the floor with raider guts or whatever. I seem to make very little leeway in terms of gaining his affinity it seems. It went a lot quicker just fighting straightup with my first character.

Do companions have to see me fight for them to gain affinity or something?

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

No, I suspect overkill would be the game generating a legendary fatman with the "Never Ending" quality, which gives the weapon unlimited ammunition. Naturally, it is my current mission to see if I can kill enough legendary enemies to cause this combination to randomly generate.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

No, I suspect overkill would be the game generating a legendary fatman with the "Never Ending" quality, which gives the weapon unlimited ammunition. Naturally, it is my current mission to see if I can kill enough legendary enemies to cause this combination to randomly generate.

Unfortunately there's only unlimited ammo Capacity...still a rapid fire fatman would be ridiculous

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    This is going back a few pages from the previous thread but I have a small hope that they will let us pay a visit to The 'Ronto in a DLC pack. They did specifically reference it during conversations at least once during Fallout 3 (from the Institute guy, I think) and proximity isn't totally outrageous, given the trip from DC to Point Lookout.

Who doesn't want to see their hometown in ruins, right? :D

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Mackenzier wrote: »
    This is going back a few pages from the previous thread but I have a small hope that they will let us pay a visit to The 'Ronto in a DLC pack. They did specifically reference it during conversations at least once during Fallout 3 (from the Institute guy, I think) and proximity isn't totally outrageous, given the trip from DC to Point Lookout.

Who doesn't want to see their hometown in ruins, right? :D
    Ashur in the Pitt DLC is the one who made reference to Ronto when he was making his speech to the slaves.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

Double damage to enemies at full health would be my dream fatman.
    Hit anything at full health, and you won't need a second shot.
    Failing that, two shot fatman.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Reposting my mod list from the old thread. It's seen a few additions since it first went up, so give it a good look!

First Things First:

You don't need to get a mod manager, but they make things so much easier. I'm using Fallout 4 Plugins Manager, as it was one of the first, but now Nexus' platform independant mod manager supports Fallout 4, so that is also a good option.

Also, you may want to nab the Fallout 4 Configuration Tool. It makes altering INI options easier than doing it manually.

All the pages I'm linking to explain how to install their respective mods, but you all (should) know the deal; you mod at your own risk.

Now, on to the mods. First up, this is a Bethesda game so you may want some UI Tweaks:

Let's start with a bang: Full Dialogue Interface. This mod changes the dialogue interface, displaying the choices as a list instead of a wheel and also displays what your character will actually say. I, personally, don't mind the original interface, but this is a wildly popular mod nonetheless.

Next up, for those that are getting annoyed by all the bleeps and bloops coming from the interface, we have Silent UI, which, by default, removes all UI sounds (such as the XP gain CHA-CHING! and the Idiot Savant giggling). Can be modified to target certain sounds individually as well.

This next category is the kind of stuff I live for; Immersion Mods:

We'll start with what is actually literally my favorite mod: Lowered Weapons. Nothing fancy, just changes your 1st person default stance to show that your weapon is lowered and not pointing at everyone's face (until you want it to be).

And next, my second favorite mod: Powered Armor Movement Sounds. This mod simply makes the powered armor much louder while in motion. The default sounds are a little wimpy IMO.

Next, this was my favorite mod in Skyrim and New Vegas; Darker Nights. Not much to add here, tho maybe now you'll actually use you lamps. Remember that the mining helmet has a headlamp like your power armor!

Not sure this belongs here, tho there really isn't anywhere else to put it... Create Your Own Survival Rebalance! This mod let's you change the damage variables of NPCs and yourself in survival. I'm running double damage for enemies and normal damage for me.

Another mod that affects lighting, Realistic Lighting makes for a moodier atmosphere in the game, especially in conjunction with Darker Nights.

Ever wonder why every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the old world made makeshift weapons in their spare time and thought so highly of their handiwork that they preserved them in locked safes? Thanks to Pre War Safes, you will never have to wonder again! This mod replaces pipe weapons in pre-war safes (only the ones the game actually lists as being pre-war; if raiders run the joint, they are probably using the safes themselves) with, well, pre-war weapons.

Next up, we got some friggin Quality of Life Mods:

First up: Craftable Ammo. Nothing to say here, really.

Oh hey; this is the first mod I got! Configurable Power Armor Fusion Core Drain does what it says. Has many options so that you can tweek this to your desire.

I know a lot of people wanted something like this, tho honestly it's probably faster to just use the console. In any case, Carry Weight Modification lets you modificate your weight carry.

Next, the only one in this category I consider absolutely mandatory: Faster Terminal Displays. If you played Fallout 3 or New Vegas you probably grabbed this at some point for sanity's sake.

This next one is for those that hate playing games inside games. Easier Hacking, Easier Lockpicking, Guaranteed Pickpocketing, comes as 3 seperate mods so you can, for instance, use the first two and not the last one (which is literally cheating). I ended up using a similar mod in New Vegas somewhere around playthrough 20; not quite there yet in Fallout 4, but maybe someday.

Starting to hate the poorly thought-out settlement management meta game thing? Settler Renaming may be for you! This lets you... rename settlers! Isn't modern technology wonderful?

Do you feel that playing on a harder difficulty just isn't rewarding enough? Want to earn XP even faster? Difficulty XP Scaling is probably exactly what you're looking for! Now, the XP you earcn is multiplied according to your difficulty setting.

Feeling indecisive about the game's speech checks? Put your mind at ease with Binary Speech Checks! This removes the randomness from speech checks, tying them to charisma thresholds instead.

And finally, Just For Fun Mods:

We'll start with Settlement Supplies Expanded (SSEx), which adds a bunch of craftable things to your workshop list, so you can really spruce up your settlements.

The awesome OpposingFarce discovered Armorsmith Extended, which lets you add a ballistic weave to any piece of clothing or outfit, along with allowing the use of armor on any piece of clothing or outfit (mind the clipping!).

Want to add legendary affixes to your weapons and clothing manually without having to open the console? Legendary Modifications has you covered.

I've personally tested everything I've listed here so I know for sure that they work, and work together. If anyone wants to add to this list, just @ me and I'll get to it at my earliest convenience.

@jdarksun

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Seems like you can get a ton of fusion cores just from pickpocketing them off knights on the Prydwen.

It's pretty funny actually. I keep taking one, watching them get out of the suit then get back in and theres another fresh one ready to steal.

Already had a bunch of them before just from dungeon diving, now it's even easier to hoard them. Kind of completely unbalances power armor since they start to accumulate really quickly.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Even without doing that I've got like fifty of them that all last approx 50 minutes right now. (Don't have the final rank of nuclear physicist yet)

Even without Nuclear Physicist, my first character had like eighty of them at level 30, so I could have just transitioned to using power armor full time and had 40+ hours of power armor operation if I never found another core.

I'm looking forward to being able to pop them as nuclear grenades.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    All the info about settlements that you're not standing in is pretty damn unreliable...every now and then settlements are showing no one...28~ people happiness all over the shop.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    All the info about settlements that you're not standing in is pretty damn unreliable...every now and then settlements are showing no one...28~ people happiness all over the shop.

I think it is a bug related to having a TV in your settlement. Junk them, things should go back to normal. Yes, I'm serious.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    So this is actually the
    Capital Wasteland chapter

of the Brotherhood of Steel. That makes things interesting.
    Its nice to finally see them starting to develop some cracks in their wasteland savior routine. Feels like whole anti mutant thing was only sort of hinted at in 3 with the way the ghouls in Underworld talked about how the BOS shoot at them no questions asked.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    So, I just had the Idiot Savant perk/noise go off at the best/worst possible time:

(Late-game mission spoiler):
    The end of the Mankind Redefined mission...

Father: "Well, folks, I have aggressive, inoperable cancer and I'm about to die any moment now..."

Me: "UHHH-YEEEEAH-UH!" *rimshot*

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Preacher wrote:

Double damage to enemies at full health would be my dream fatman.
    Hit anything at full health, and you won't need a second shot.
    Failing that, two shot fatman.

@Nyysjan - I think I posted this drop a couple days ago, but just in case... double damage fatman: it's as much fun as you'd think. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Is there any way to help BoS without
    agreeing to join them? I just saw their ship fly in and I'm curious what's up but joining the military would be really out of character for my guy.

This discussion has been closed.