As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Undertale (and also MSPA): Notorious T.E.M.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    (you can actually back up your save fyi)

Yeah, but if you do that it's functionally no different than overwriting it. As soon as you reach that level of abstraction, you're admitting that the characters aren't really "real" and that your data has no intrinsic meaning. Preserving your save file isn't actually about the save file itself, it's a philosophical thing.
    I'm sorry I couldn't hear you over the sound of how great being a god is

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

Yeah, but if you do that it's functionally no different than overwriting it. As soon as you reach that level of abstraction, you're admitting that the characters aren't really "real" and that your data has no intrinsic meaning. Preserving your save file isn't actually about the save file itself, it's a philosophical thing.
    spoilers
    a83j2r8nolf3.jpg

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

spoilers
    a83j2r8nolf3.jpg
    yeah and I beat him so now I'm the god

• Options
    FALSE GOD

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Awww noooo

I don't think my heart can take it.

edit: You know what would have liked in this?

If some spiders came down to sing the vocal bit that starts 56 seconds in.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Here, have an accordion cover of Metal Crusher
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrciVDg5cVo
    It's by two Russian dudes who did a bunch of other Undertale covers too.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's really good, it actually sounds like it was written for accordion

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Same with Bonetrousle. That's why the Boneklezmer remix sounds really good too. (edit- well, not accordion, but it sounds folksy)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIuBpl7k_eU

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    YggiDee wrote: »

Holy cow, that's really good!

I like this more than the original, even.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Yay, she replied. 8->

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    it's good it's good

but you know who should have been playing that celesta bit at the end (is that a celesta?)

yeah you just realized, if it hurt you just realized

• Options
    edited February 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keqp4IFXdNQ

these are so good (papyrus' theme especially, its melody has always had kind of a russian folk music feel to it to begin with)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Egf_CyycfI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pjhyyoluGE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarF06JKANg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgPpWTEanrY

ooh I like all of these a LOT, especially that cover of Asgore

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »

The video and the music together give me a "credits sequence to an old cartoon" vibe.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    pacifist spoilers, sick beats

Okay I know I say I get emotional a lot at things. I exaggerate a lot.

But I legit cried, listening to this. This is something special.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited February 2016
    these are so good (papyrus' theme especially, its melody has always had kind of a russian folk music feel to it to begin with)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Egf_CyycfI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pjhyyoluGE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarF06JKANg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgPpWTEanrY

fuck, how are these all so good

THIS IS THE BEST PAGE OF THIS THREAD, YOU GUYS

edit: I guess this is a good a time as any to point out that I just finished the sheets for Undertale.

Goatmon on

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    Thanks Goatmon, that'll be really helpful for when I maybe do an arrangement for the brass band I'm in. I'm not sure if I'll succeed though. The music doesn't have much parts and is fairly repetitive. Like, Undertale (the song) is great, but it'd be super boring to play as a band. So it'll be a while before I figure out what to do and how to do it.

• Options
    it's kind of amazing to me that undertale has had some international appeal
    the thinness of the language and culture barriers between the english speaking countries and south korea and japan always surprises me

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    another cover, with genocide spoilers

I'm no major judge of music but that is some fine fucking piano right there. I've heard a few piano mixes of that track but this version is definitely the one with with the most weight to it.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    Most of the piano mixes I've heard have either been electronic (and not good) or played by someone whose fingers can't keep up.

• Options
    MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    so this happened

https://youtu.be/KYdDUXyFocY

warning: contains pacifist spoilers, genocide spoilers, wild leaps in logic, and matpat

This video is silly and far fetched but then I still had to do a sketch based on it because of how ridiculous it is. Spoilers for the video apply to the spoiler below.
    WTO1GVU.png

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    You know, in retrospect, I think that the way I came into Undertale enhanced it even more.
    See, I was given Undertale. And I had literally no idea what it was. As in, never seen a screen of the damned thing. In fact, I was convinced it was another game, which I can't remember right now. I was really confused at the beginning, going "wait, I thought Undertale was that one point and click game with all the colors?" But well, I started it. The very beginning already caught my interest. Flowey sparked my hate instantly, the little jerk, and Toriel made me go from "oh you fucking flower" to "awwww" in zero point six second flat. Then I found out I could NOT kill guys. Which was great! Why would I kill these things when NOT killing them wasn't even harder? You'd have to be a jerk to do it. I have always generally tried to minimize casualties in games as much as possible (I am on record going through Prototype stages only causing, like, two civilian deaths, and you kill people in that game if you so much as bump into them, so believe me, it takes a lot of careful maneuvering).

But not knowing the whole "you don't have to kill anyone" tagline, I absolutely expected the game to pull that away from me at some point. I kept going on, falling in love with Toriel. And then, bam. The fight. I spent some time there, dodging and never realizing she stops attacking (I am actually vaguely decent at Bullet Hell games), mashing talk. But in the end, I concluded that this was it. This was when the game was going to be an asshole and force me to kill the adorable character it just made me love, because pretty much every game that exists has bosses you simply CAN'T nonlethal. So I struck, mostly feeling annoyed at the whole thing and false choice and videogames in general. And as she died, she died giving me advice. And asking me to take care and be good. I could feel my heart going "crack".

Something in my twenty-five-years-playing-videogames brain, though, started shouting at me that this wasn't the scene of a forced character death. It couldn't be. It had to be a "fuck you player for being an asshole and killing this character" scene. Had I missed something? I immediately went to google, trying to avoid spoilers, but with one question. "Can Toriel be saved". The instant I saw yes, closed google, restarted, and went to try to find it. And I did. And then Flowey berated me for going back. And that's when I realized that this game was going to work a little different, and that my choices were going to have actual weight. And that the things I did still happened even if I reset.

I would probably have done a rather pacifistic run in general either way. That's just how I play, as I said. But there might have been a death or two more out of sheer now knowing what to do.

But Toriel had asked me to be good with her dying breath. And so you better believe I was going to try my best to fucking BE good, even if it killed me.

Thankfully, that wasn't necessary because the only fight in the game that was hard was Undyne. I also spent an unreasonable amount of time in that fight going WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME and ending up dying a few times out of sheer exhaustion and thousand cuts :P .

Let me guess
    You didn't realize you could run away at first?

It was less "at first" and more "for who knows how long".

I mean, come on, when has running away from a boss in an RPG ever actually worked!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    On my second run through
    The starting area was much, much easier, as I actually used the run away option.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Ok, Lenich and Kirya's covers are definitely the best I've heard so far.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    You know, in retrospect, I think that the way I came into Undertale enhanced it even more.
    See, I was given Undertale. And I had literally no idea what it was. As in, never seen a screen of the damned thing. In fact, I was convinced it was another game, which I can't remember right now. I was really confused at the beginning, going "wait, I thought Undertale was that one point and click game with all the colors?" But well, I started it. The very beginning already caught my interest. Flowey sparked my hate instantly, the little jerk, and Toriel made me go from "oh you fucking flower" to "awwww" in zero point six second flat. Then I found out I could NOT kill guys. Which was great! Why would I kill these things when NOT killing them wasn't even harder? You'd have to be a jerk to do it. I have always generally tried to minimize casualties in games as much as possible (I am on record going through Prototype stages only causing, like, two civilian deaths, and you kill people in that game if you so much as bump into them, so believe me, it takes a lot of careful maneuvering).

But not knowing the whole "you don't have to kill anyone" tagline, I absolutely expected the game to pull that away from me at some point. I kept going on, falling in love with Toriel. And then, bam. The fight. I spent some time there, dodging and never realizing she stops attacking (I am actually vaguely decent at Bullet Hell games), mashing talk. But in the end, I concluded that this was it. This was when the game was going to be an asshole and force me to kill the adorable character it just made me love, because pretty much every game that exists has bosses you simply CAN'T nonlethal. So I struck, mostly feeling annoyed at the whole thing and false choice and videogames in general. And as she died, she died giving me advice. And asking me to take care and be good. I could feel my heart going "crack".

Something in my twenty-five-years-playing-videogames brain, though, started shouting at me that this wasn't the scene of a forced character death. It couldn't be. It had to be a "fuck you player for being an asshole and killing this character" scene. Had I missed something? I immediately went to google, trying to avoid spoilers, but with one question. "Can Toriel be saved". The instant I saw yes, closed google, restarted, and went to try to find it. And I did. And then Flowey berated me for going back. And that's when I realized that this game was going to work a little different, and that my choices were going to have actual weight. And that the things I did still happened even if I reset.

I would probably have done a rather pacifistic run in general either way. That's just how I play, as I said. But there might have been a death or two more out of sheer now knowing what to do.

But Toriel had asked me to be good with her dying breath. And so you better believe I was going to try my best to fucking BE good, even if it killed me.

Thankfully, that wasn't necessary because the only fight in the game that was hard was Undyne. I also spent an unreasonable amount of time in that fight going WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME and ending up dying a few times out of sheer exhaustion and thousand cuts :P .

Let me guess
    You didn't realize you could run away at first?

It was less "at first" and more "for who knows how long".

I mean, come on, when has running away from a boss in an RPG ever actually worked!
    She actually gives you a direct hint on how to handle the fight immediately, but it's given as such a throwaway comment that even though the key terms in the hint are color coded, most people don't even think much into it.

"As long as you're green, you can't escape!"

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Yeah, I never noticed that.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Mayday wrote: »

yeah, that kind of thing will happen with games like this

it's amazing how many people still haven't noticed
    alphys giving you hand signals during the quiz

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »

yeah, that kind of thing will happen with games like this

it's amazing how many people still haven't noticed
    alphys giving you hand signals during the quiz

I noticed this straight away, and I think that was Toby's intention.
    As opposed to the Undyne fight, where I ran out of options and just looked up the answer.
    Tried insulting/pleading/sparing/fighting her forever up until I realised that yes this attack pattern was never going to finish.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    the thinness of the language and culture barriers between the english speaking countries and south korea and japan always surprises me
    It was pretty cool to see it start to pick up an international audience. It helps that the game is very much in the spirit of Earthbound and pretty much a love letter to quirky JRPG/anime heart.

The Feels can overcome all barriers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6WQ-MVPWdU

;_;

*holds up lighter*

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular

That is, almost exactly what happened to me.
    I guessed Toriel might be a fight where you have to get her health down first, to show her you were determined? And then spare her? But then the last hit was a (possibly scripted) crit. So I exit and reload the save. The dialog was changed to acknowledge what I had done and this was amazing! And then Flowey called me a dick! So being the leet hacker that I am, I was all "ppft, whatever I will outsmart you you stupid jerk flower" and deleted the save file. Which doesn't work! So I reinstalled the game, which also doesn't! (I even found the hidden save file, but kept it since at that point I decided I would stick with the intended metagmaing).

It was pretty great!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    You know, some days ago we were discussing with @laurentheflute about Genocide and the temptation to do it. And while I said that I wasn't tempted to do it to know more, I'm thinking that's not the full thing. I just don't feel the need to know more because everything I really NEEDED to know was in the route I played, that's true. But there is still a temptation for me.

That being the fights. I'm a challenge gamer. I love when a game cracks down and gets down to business. And the fight with Sans sounds SUPER fun. So that's the temptation for non-completionists like me: are you willing to destroy everything to experience the coolest fight in the game? I'm not, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit the niggling temptation IS there. Which actually pretty cool on a meta level!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MirroMirro Registered User regular
    Did people make fan translation patches?

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Mirro wrote: »
    Did people make fan translation patches?

There's a Korean version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Crr8YNJ5s

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    I guess this is maybe character spoilers so I'm gonna spoil it just to be safe.
    197.png

This discussion has been closed.