As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Balance patch may 3

Changes for Thor, photon cannon, liberator, and swarm host. The cannon change is reminiscent of the spore crawler buff way back when.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    did Protoss need help against mutalisks...?

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Halving the cost of Swarm Hosts is pretty significant, but still leaves the question: Why would you ever build them?

• Options
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Halving the cost of Swarm Hosts is pretty significant, but still leaves the question: Why would you ever build them?

yeah i still dont see a purpose to swarm hosts. i know catz wrote some giant dissertation but i didnt read it despite meaning to.
    Dhalphir wrote: »

didnt protoss always need help vs mutas? i guess maybe not at the highest levels, however i know from the zerg side i had success with them when i did make them. i assume it is to allow the protoss player greater freedom than having to have a cache of stalkers at literally every base.

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular

It's so you don't absolutely have to open phoenix in every PvZ until the end of time.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    5 years in and I still can't handle storms :(

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    and now you have to deal with disruptors too

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Keamien wrote: »
    5 years in and I still can't handle storms :(

I haven't dodged storms well since 1998.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Code s finals game 3 spoilers
    i was so glad Zest won that, there's no way TY's garbage WOL beta Thor drop strat should have ever worked. I have no idea how that strat was ever going to work.

Edit
    game 5 pretty garbage too, i thought TY was supposed to be good?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Code s finals game 3 spoilers
    i was so glad Zest won that, there's no way TY's garbage WOL beta Thor drop strat should have ever worked. I have no idea how that strat was ever going to work.

Edit
    game 5 pretty garbage too, i thought TY was supposed to be good?

he's amazing but Zest is The Best Player On Earth right now

also as the casters said he was off in some games for sure. nerves I suppose.

he came across as able to do what he does super well but in spots where that didn't work, maps he couldn't cut in half, he died hard.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    got mad at hearthstone so I played sc2

now I'm mad at myself and the world :P

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

Was this the first Dreamhack on US soil?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Hah, that's neat!

If he's anywhere near as fun as he is in Heroes, it'll def get me playing the solo missions a lot more again.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    yeah, i am looking forward to giving him a try. i hope the release is soon and they dont drag it out

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    So I haven't played this in 6 years, beat Heart of the Swarm, going through the Legacy of the Void campaign now. What I do want to know is, I used to main Zerg. What is the go-to build for Zerg nowadays? I used to always go for Roach rush as it was solid defense and good for at least harassing at the start.

I would of course scout to see if I need to do something else rather than RR.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    So I haven't played this in 6 years, beat Heart of the Swarm, going through the Legacy of the Void campaign now. What I do want to know is, I used to main Zerg. What is the go-to build for Zerg nowadays? I used to always go for Roach rush as it was solid defense and good for at least harassing at the start.

I would of course scout to see if I need to do something else rather than RR.

Legacy is a much, much more economic focused game than Wings of Liberty. The maps are bigger, the 12 worker start accelerates everything. There are zero one-base rushes for Zerg unless you want to 12pool, and most of the two base builds involve still getting a full set of workers on both bases.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Oh! I thought 12 workers were because I was playing custom games with a buddy. This definitely changes everything. I honestly don't remember my exact build, but I think it was always roach to 2nd base?

I much prefer it being about macro too, so looking forward to playing multiplayer again.

• Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    *wipes eyes as if coming in from a 3-year long bender*

Whu.....Where am I?! Who are all of you?! Why am I still forever bronze?!

No but seriously, bet you all don't even remember me as it's literally been since 2013, but I'm back! Just installed Starcraft 2 again last week after purchasing Legacy of the Void at launch, looking forward to getting better at the game!

• Options
    Okay so I've uploaded my six most recent games to my GGTracker page. I have no clue what certain build orders are now or anything like that, so I'm using the insanely outdated Filter macro builds from early HotS. Basically my focus is to be able to beat Elite AI a majority of the time with pure macro, then hop on ladder.

I understand AI has a tendency to do silly things and form bad habits, but I also realize that the AI will always do SOMETHING, as I remember ladder games that were either 100% massacres, or a situation where the people on the other end of the keyboard were asleep.

I also understand that my tendency for Bio may not be the best anymore, simply because Liberators are so useful for Terran, and tank drop play has become more of a standard. Any generic advice about builds/macro/micro?

• Options
    Be more economically aggressive than you think you need to. Natural expansion around 3 mins, third by 6 mins, and look to expand every 5 minutes after that.

• Options
    Be more economically aggressive than you think you need to. Natural expansion around 3 mins, third by 6 mins, and look to expand every 5 minutes after that.

D:D: gahhhhh

Yeah, that's wild. So would that even leave time for 1/1/1 or 3rax builds or anything anymore? Or is the use of straight build orders less helpful than it used to be, and it's moving towards 'scout early and change up everything based on what you see'?

• Options
    Kami wrote: »

D:D: gahhhhh

Yeah, that's wild. So would that even leave time for 1/1/1 or 3rax builds or anything anymore? Or is the use of straight build orders less helpful than it used to be, and it's moving towards 'scout early and change up everything based on what you see'?

one base builds will almost never do anything worthwhile.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    as much as i want to play abathur, i am not sure i want to pay $4.99 for that privilege. i had completely forgotten that commanders after karax were going to be purchasable and that is unfortunate. maybe ill break down and get him eventually

edit: the coop missions are notably more difficult with the mutators now. especially if your teammate doesn't ever do anything....as in afk the entire time.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Why is it so hard to find youtube vods of tournament matches?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

what tournament are you looking for?

• Options
    Congrats to @MMMig on his wedding! For the honeymoon, take Mrs. Goomba for a Banshee ride and bomb some Protoss.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I thought we might have been able to go at least one set of photos without Goomba sneaking his face in, but it was not to be. Congrats bro!

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

what tournament are you looking for?

Um, I watched Katowice, so pref anything past that, Quarter Finals up?

I guess I'm just so used to watching LoL matches that I expect that to be how all e-Sports to be handled.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    this may be weird, but is there a way to watch replays of co-op? i have been getting my ass kicked the last few times (brutal + mutator) and there are a few where i am not sure why. essentially once we hit the 6th or 7th train (i think) i look and suddenly my teammate has zero units and is getting overwhelmed by something. i can't defend both sides myself so i kinda want to see where things start spiraling out of control.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I wonder if my APM will go up now that I'm treated for hypothyroidism.

I lost 12 pounds in 60 days. That shit's goooood.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Congrats to @MMMig on his wedding! For the honeymoon, take Mrs. Goomba for a Banshee ride and bomb some Protoss.

Wow.

Edit: I have since realised that this is the wrong thread about a Blizzard video game with @MNC Dover and @MMMig in it to make this joke in.

hippofant on
  • Options
    watching some very old GSL

remember when ultras could die?

• Options
    Man I'm just not very good at this game!

I haven't played many games (I think less than 150 for my entire 'career' and I've had the game since original WoL launch), but I still can't seem to actually learn much of anything?

I used to feel comfortable with 'make scvs/make depots/make stuff/a-move', but now it seems like it's getting me in more trouble because of the new meta, and I'm not taking expansions fast enough

Either that, or I'm thinking too much and trying to outgrow where I really am, mechanically. Instead of focusing on fundamentals I start getting antsy about learning counters or trying to micro/harass

http://www.ggtracker.com/matches/6645670 - Even though this was a win (vs. Harder AI), I still felt ridiculous the entire game, like Benny Hill music could've been playing in the background

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Wow.

Edit: I have since realised that this is the wrong thread about a Blizzard video game with @MNC Dover and @MMMig in it to make this joke in.

AWW! I missed the joke. :(

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    korea wcs s1 finals.

Zest vs Stats, TY vs Dark

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/GSL

• Options
    so Zest won that too. he's the best, he won GSL and that cross tourney which was the finalists of GSL and the finalists of SSL put together

of course, he couldn't beat Maru in game 7 of the proleague s2 finals. ooooops. Jin Air took it.

• Options
    Dunno if people actually care about co-op but it is a lot of fun with mutators! It rotates so yesterday I dove into the new one and it is the map with jin'ara and rak'shir. Honestly this one was trivially easy. You never are pressured basically at all. Maybe if you go Karax + swan and both of you mech so you have a low volume but high quality army it could be a problem. I was Karax paired with Zagara so I went mass gateway stuff and Zagara massed...well the 2-3 units she gets access to. Enemy was much Terran so orbital bombardment on sieged tanks was giggle inducing. The AI never attacked us until we were on the doorstep and about to win. I have to check and see if maybe I accidentally set it to hard instead of brutal.

• Options
    Dunno if people actually care about co-op but it is a lot of fun with mutators! It rotates so yesterday I dove into the new one and it is the map with jin'ara and rak'shir. Honestly this one was trivially easy. You never are pressured basically at all. Maybe if you go Karax + swan and both of you mech so you have a low volume but high quality army it could be a problem. I was Karax paired with Zagara so I went mass gateway stuff and Zagara massed...well the 2-3 units she gets access to. Enemy was much Terran so orbital bombardment on sieged tanks was giggle inducing. The AI never attacked us until we were on the doorstep and about to win. I have to check and see if maybe I accidentally set it to hard instead of brutal.

conversely I found Brutal Mutator super hard this week.

• Options
    Who were you playing as @Dhalphir ? I must have had it set to hard rather than brutal. The behaviour of the AI in retrospect makes no sense based on how the brutal mutator worked last week. The train mission felt borderline impossible if you weren't sufficient level. You just didn't have access to enough tools to combat several of the components