As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One thing I thought was persistently fascinating was that every single agent overproduced probes compared to pro players.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    That doesn't bode well for us...

AI is already prone to wanting a lot of slave labor...

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    I want to watch the vods, curious to see if the AI scouted for more information or was purely reactionary aside from a set build order.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I went to install RE2, but was surprised to not have enough space. So I looked up my biggest offenders and SC2 was at 55 GB. Sorry game, but you gotta go. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Well when you think about harrassment, you will probably lose a few probes before you deal with it, so if you keep a few buffer probes you wont actually lose any income. The only place that starts to come into play is when you start hitting max army supply, and going big macro on multiple bases.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I went to install RE2, but was surprised to not have enough space. So I looked up my biggest offenders and SC2 was at 55 GB. Sorry game, but you gotta go. :(

Ah that's a good point.

I'm not going to uninstall but I'll prob move it out of my SSD.. same with D3 and some others I don't play as often.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    it has to be some form of abuse to talk about uninstalling a game in a thread dedicated to that game

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Have you read the Hearthstone / hots threads?

More abusive than 4chan!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i was going to say i think hots has a larger footprint than starcraft...and one of those games is still being supported
    zing

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I picked up the Starcraft 2 trilogy a while back in a sale and have only gotten around to playing it. I am working my way through the campaign for the first time. Are there any useful hints or pointers for new players? I am planning on mostly playing the campaign though if it really hooks me I might try some of the other gametypes.

• Options
    You can beat most campaign maps by building a lot of defense and amassing 1-2 types of units. As for other game modes, understand that about 90% of what you learn or how you play will not translate over to multiplayer. Because of that, I'd suggest moving to Co-Op before trying out multiplayer. That mode will help ease the transition.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I picked up the Starcraft 2 trilogy a while back in a sale and have only gotten around to playing it. I am working my way through the campaign for the first time. Are there any useful hints or pointers for new players? I am planning on mostly playing the campaign though if it really hooks me I might try some of the other gametypes.

each of the game modes is wildly different. sure you are mostly using the same units, but let's put aside the fact there in single player or co-op you get absurdly over powered stuff, how you utilize them is greatly shaped by what the objective at hand is. in competitive modes naturally things are shaped by your own goals as well as your opponent's reactions.

basically just mess around as much as you want and have fun. there's definitely a lot to learn but there is nothing that says you need to meet a certain time table or must reach X goal. i'd suggest testing out each mode to see what you find enjoyable. even if multiplayer seems daunting keep in mind that it will try to pair you against evenly matched opponents so if the first few games you get thrashed (or conversely smash the other side) the matchmaker will adjust over time to keep things fair.

• Options
    Are there any suggestions for mission order/upgrade order/upgrade options that make for a more enjoyable game? Also, are there any good habits to get into regarding how I control the game that means less unlearning bad habits should I decide to do multiplayer?

Are there any things like using Patrol with vultures in SC1 instead of Move-Attack for unit control that can have a big impact on the usefulness of different units?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The best way to not learn bad habits from the single player that you'll have to unlearn in the multiplayer would probably be to just start with the multiplayer

The single player campaign is fun but it does not provide a lot of transferable skills beyond getting a basic idea of how each race plays, even on higher difficulties

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I've still never played the single player

• Options
    i think you'd have to play a FUCKTON of single player to develop truly bad habits for multiplayer. you end up having such gigantic leaps in knowledge once you get there anyway that i don't know how much it would matter. that being said i will admit it has been a long time since i was in that situation

• Options

The biggest drawback of playing single player is prob getting used to having things like tier-1 medics, unkillable roaches, flying zerglings, burrow-charging ultralisks, etc. etc..

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Here are some things I have learned that are useful for new players:

To attack while retreating use the move command and then press S, then click to move again. Doing this repeatedly will cause your units to stutter step backwards attacking as they run away. Good with ranged units versus melee units.

You can save unit groups by pressing CTRL+ a number key while they are selected. There doesn't appear to be a maximum number of units like SC 1 had.

While a group of units is selected you can press tab to cycle through unit types. This is useful for hotkeying all your production buildings with a single ctrl group and switching between factories, barracks, and starports quickly.

Be careful when mixing different units in a control group if they have activated abilities. There appears to be a priority for what is displayed.

Suggested control groups are:
    1. Main army, few spellcasters
    2. Alternate control group for better splitting of forces control.
    3. Air or specialty units.
    4. All Command Centers or Nexuses.
    5. All production buildings.
    6+ spellcasters or other specialty units.

Play around with ALT, CTRL and shift keys as they open up a bunch of other ways to select and deselect units.

You can rally units to another unit which can help when moving forces around.

You can click on a dropship to drop units while moving.

• Options
    one specific thing I use a lot, which is probably bad practice but might be helpful in that it's a shortcut, is I use 'select entire army' a lot, but then will cycle through it with tab, ctrl+click let's say ghosts thus selecting all the ghosts, and then use the hotkey I assigned that will remove your currently selected units from their group and assign them to a new one.

I use ctrl+a for full army and alt+(ctrl group # desired) for assigning to a new group while removing from the previous one.

this is a way to guarantee you're selecting all of a given unit at once. like I said the best thing is probably just to be fast enough to click around to all of them but I'm not that fast and doing this is definitely preferred over losing units in various ways. at least I think so.

• Options
    gsl is back tonight

• Options
    I am working my way through the campaign. The writing... is not great. I can see what they are going for with the alterations/additions to Raynor's background, but the characterization isn't consistent with his Broodwar era and there's a fair bit of fridge logic at play just weird narrative jumps to keep the plot moving forwards. I like some of what is being done, but this is brain candy storytelling and not the space-operaish storytelling that the first game featured.

• Options
    Oh god do NOT get me started on the Raynor rewriting...

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Please don't make us relive that stupid campaign.

• Options
    I've said the uncomfortable truth before

Starcraft 2 is superior to Starcraft 1 in every concievable way including the story.

• Options
    Tosh: This planet has some awesome gas that we should totally get. But protoss live there.
    Raynor: I don't like killing Protoss.
    Tosh: These guys are religious fanatics.
    Raynor: Sounds good to me.

*in mission*

Protoss: Hi humans. You are on our sacred site.
    Raynor: Hi there, we're just here to take some of your sacred gas. You got a problem with that?
    Protoss: What part of sacred did you not understand? Of course we have a problem with that.
    Raynor: Sucks to be you then, cause we're taking it anyways.

• Options
    I actually liked the wings of liberty and zerg campaign, but the protoss one is complete crap.

• Options
    I played the missions where they retcon the events of SC1 on Auir. It isn't bad, but it is coming off as though they are forcing a different story rather than working with what they had. It feels a lot more like new Blizzard style writing where they have a conclusion and contort the story to get there with as little effort for writing as they can get away with. I wonder what happened, because Blizzard used to make tropey stories that still were well done in the telling and characters, but the newer stuff just feels forced in a way that the old stuff didn't.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I'm also wondering if the Zeratul mission where you need to run a gauntlet at the end (Whispers of Doom) if it is possible to kill everything with good enough micro or if it just has infinite respawns of enemies until you die or get away.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    Finished the Zeratul missions. The core idea that the OM created Kerrigan for a reason was a decent twist, but a lot had to be retconned to get there and the storytelling was incredibly hamfisted, especially the last mission. I can tell that this is going to be a frustrating experience because there is the core of an interesting idea that repeatedly gets let down by the execution of the storytelling.

I am enjoying how they do the mission storytelling and let you keep the old units while giving you new ones. The split between online and campaign gameplay was a good idea. It is fun to have all these units to play around with. In a way it reminds me of some of the old mods for Red Alert I played long ago.

• Options
    Did Tosh's mission. Choose Tosh. His character continues to develop in an interesting way. Him and Raynor can be too cool for school edgelords together. The jury is still out on if Raynor being a bit of an edgelord alcoholic is going to work, characterwise but they are putting in some of the work to earn it. I found it funny gow Hanson basically says Nova was full of ut right after the mission, although apparentlyit is written so both choices are right.

Also did the medivac mission this is a bit more interesting, though Mr. Amagram doesn't look anything like he last looked in Broodwars. Also, science vessels are op.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I recently played straight through BW's campaign into WoL, and the amount of rewriting (and stuff that wasn't quite rewriting but definitely taking things in a different direction to what was implied was coming) was a really rough gear shift. It felt like SC2 was uninterested in really picking up the threads laid down by the end of BW, and wanted to just take some of the broad strokes and come up with a new plot from there. I can understand that sentiment, given the huge gap between the release of two games, but it's not very clean storytelling.

That being said, the actual quality of the plotting in both games is pretty similar, and the writing in the second game has more space to breathe and move around in, if nothing else. SC2's story certainly has better pacing than the first game.

I've said this before, but what SC1 has over the sequel by a country mile for me is mood. It's grungy and spacey feeling in a way the sequel fails to capture. And while the gameplay of the Heart of the Swarm campaign is really cool and interesting, the direction they took all the new lore for the Zerg really didn't jive with me.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I dunno how crazytalk this is, but I thoroughly enjoyed most of the SCII story. The end of Wings of Liberty is strangely affecting, like listening to the soundtrack for it gets me choked up. Same with a lot of Heart of the Swarm. But then for Legacy of the Void, the wheels sorts come off because I never really got time to relate to any of those characters.

I think the best part overall was...
    Kerrigan floating off, at the end of HotS, their relationship is seemingly done, and Raynor looks up and says "my pleasure, darling. Always was."

Aaaaaugh! That's perfect!

And then I remember she genocided millions and probably shouldn't get that happy ending, but it's a beautiful moment.

Oh brilliant
  • Options

I've said this before, but what SC1 has over the sequel by a country mile for me is mood. It's grungy and spacey feeling in a way the sequel fails to capture. And while the gameplay of the Heart of the Swarm campaign is really cool and interesting, the direction they took all the new lore for the Zerg really didn't jive with me.

i think this is a reasonable stance. i find the SC2 story works better for me but i can accept if it isn't the kind of story people want, and i can definitely get behind the idea that blizzard retconned the shit out of it..because well they did.

• Options
    I really wouldn't have minded the SC2 story if it just wasn't retconned THAT much.

Like, if instead they did the same story with an all brand-new cast, I'd be 100% cool with it.

Or at least, not used Raynor as the main character, which forced them to make such a dramatic change to the plot.
    I mean, Raynor wasn't THAT big of a character in BW either, it was more Tassadar, Kerrigan, Zeratul, etc.. Hell even Duke was a bigger persona (imo) than BW Ray Ray.

They could have used a different character altogether, or a completely new one, with how much time had passed between games.
    Though that would require more creative writing.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    From what I have played so far, I agree that SC2 seems more interested in telling its own story rather than be a sequel to Brood War. A lot of the issues I have had so far stem from inconsistencies with BW. That said, the actual storytelling techniques and structure of the game are well done and I appreciate the room to breathe that they've given the story and characters. The talk to people around your base is a fun way of revealing story and characters.

I enjoy the characters of Matt Horner (who totally is the Terran commander from the SC1 campaign), Swann, and Tychus. Tosh is growing on me and I liked the fact that he was pretty much the only person Raynor could talk to after the Zeratul missions.

I think I will try to treat the game as an alternate world version of the story and only mock it on internal failings and not failing to be a sequel to Brood War. From what I've gathered, I won't be without reasons to do so.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    The scene where 3 battlecruisers show up in a cutscene makes no sense. It feels like they had a cutscene animated for a different story beat, cut that content from the game and then inserted it into another scene.

The scene that happens afterward and all the reactions are fairly well done.

The Zerg virus is something that makes sense, but the story fails to address the consequences of introducing this narrative point. It essentially turns the story into a Zombie plague infection story and means that any encounter with the Zerg becomes a potential instigating moment in the zombie plague. The story really needed to either address why the Zerg virus isn't a real threat to Raynor's Raiders, or it basically ends up warping the story around the Zerg Virus until some sort of resolution is reached. Instead, it seems to be brought up once or twice and then forgotten about until the next time the writers choose to dip back into that well.

On the plus side, the mission to burn out the infested Terrans was fun and I had to smile at how they managed to get Day/Night cycles into the mission mechanics.

I'm also a bit annoyed at the game for making Raynor always completely right in every situation. It is okay for him to be partially right, or partially wrong and then has to deal with the consequences of his decisions and come up with a new solution. A lot of this feels like the different portions were written in isolation and were not allowed to deviate from a throughline they wanted in the story. This means that when an interesting development occurs as a result of a mission, it typically gets forgotten about if it isn't part of the overall throughline of the plot and you get these orphan plot elements. It reminds me a lot of some of the episodic nature of Star Trek plots.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    THE single most interesting story point in SC2 is that there is a rogue queen on a protoss ship with the last order being to destroy the protoss, just drifting along. It was completely not addressed in lotv. if that isnt their hook into SC3 or other starcraft game i dont know what is.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    THE single most interesting story point in SC2 is that there is a rogue queen on a protoss ship with the last order being to destroy the protoss, just drifting along. It was completely not addressed in lotv. if that isnt their hook into SC3 or other starcraft game i dont know what is.

there are several hooks to restart major conflicts after the aftermath of SC2

• Options
    This thread reminds me that I still need to finish the Nova missions I started.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page