As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I've only gotten Alarak to 15 myself. I only tend to play with a friend of mine when he's on. Should probably try playing with randoms sometime, but a bit self-conscious about my play since I kind of suck at this game.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    I've only gotten Alarak to 15 myself. I only tend to play with a friend of mine when he's on. Should probably try playing with randoms sometime, but a bit self-conscious about my play since I kind of suck at this game.

Even with random it is kinda easy at this point. Granted you will have people with commander level 80+ in hard instead of brutal who STILL produce literally zero units, but for the most part the difficulty level is low enough that it is pretty hard to screw it up. That is of course not including.mutators where it frequently requires specific strategies.

I hop on every once in a while and I know @CareerKnight is usually down for some co-op if you want to group with people from here.

Really there's no reason reason to be self conscious. Coop should just be a chill way to play SC2.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Speaking of mutators, I just saw youtuber Lowko take on the propagator mutator, and wow was ot brutal. He ended up using Raynor and forests of vulture spider mines to beat it on brutal. I can't even imagine how to beat them otherwise.

• Options
    Speaking of mutators, I just saw youtuber Lowko take on the propagator mutator, and wow was ot brutal. He ended up using Raynor and forests of vulture spider mines to beat it on brutal. I can't even imagine how to beat them otherwise.

we had tried that for a while, eventually we gave up on brutal. i couldn't get the timing for nova's air strike down to try any other strategy. really i feel the propagators are too sturdy and we would also randomly lose to them spawning in the middle of my army or something equally silly

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I've just recently started playing this again and have been mostly doing co-op with my brother. Based off experience with other games, I'm super hesitant to play with randoms. But if any of you fine folks would like to carry me (because I'm bad at every game), I wouldn't mind teaming up.

Also is there any benefit to doing mutations? Or is it just to liven things up after you get bored with the normal missions?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I've just recently started playing this again and have been mostly doing co-op with my brother. Based off experience with other games, I'm super hesitant to play with randoms. But if any of you fine folks would like to carry me (because I'm bad at every game), I wouldn't mind teaming up.

Also is there any benefit to doing mutations? Or is it just to liven things up after you get bored with the normal missions?

there is an XP bonus, but yeah it's for the challenge. you'll quickly find that even on brutal they become trivial once you get past a certain level and/or familiarity with the scenarios

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

Co-op with randoms is all I do, and under brutal, even if you get a flake it's not that bad. Once you get a commander to 15, you can pretty much solo hard and under.

The current mutator though, the fact that it's FAST propogators, and they seem to one-shot everything (including buildings and air units) making MORE propogators seems pretty broken. Like I said, aside from spider mine spam (which can't be converted) I can't think of how you'd deal with them otherwise.

Lowko's stream also had him and his partner making sure they'd just cleared out a wave of propogators before going after the last shards, so that they didn't get a disastrous mid army spawn.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options

Co-op with randoms is all I do, and under brutal, even if you get a flake it's not that bad. Once you get a commander to 15, you can pretty much solo hard and under.

The current mutator though, the fact that it's FAST propogators, and they seem to one-shot everything (including buildings and air units) making MORE propogators seems pretty broken. Like I said, aside from spider mine spam (which can't be converted) I can't think of how you'd deal with them otherwise.

Lowko's stream also had him and his partner making sure they'd just cleared out a wave of propogators before going after the last shards, so that they didn't get a disastrous mid army spawn.

thankfully propagators are gone now, however the new one isn't a cake-walk. the return of hybrid nukes is a pain in the ass. not nearly as frustrating as the first time around though.

• Options
    @MMMig are you watching game 4 of need vs scarlett right now?

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    @MMMig are you watching game 4 of need vs scarlett right now?

Alas, I missed it =(

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Messed around some more with coop with a buddy. Karax is a ton of fun. His orbital strike stuff actually hurts the stupid hybrids and so my partner can actually do objectives instead of both our armies getting destroyed.

After my buddy had to go i did one with a rando and it was a Swann. Karax with infinity gas is insane.

Unfortunately zagara and raynor seem to have some terrible anti-synergy so i cant use her with my buddy who has only played and plays raynor.

I kind of wish there were a longer co op mission where you have to break some staunch defense instead of having to fight objectives on a timer. Some missions just seem to end right as its getting interesting.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So I finally picked up Legacy of the Void.

Oh my god why is this game running like such ass? I could run Heart of the Swarm on medium settings in 4v4 games just fine. With Legacy, not only do 3v3s on low settings stutter at 3 fps, but there's huge lag in the menus! Half the time there's a 10 second delay whenever I press a menu button!

What the hell? I read something about a 3.0 patch introducing performance issues and that starting the 32 bit client fixed it, but it's still unplayable for me. I can literally run The Witcher 3 ten times better than this game.

MrBody on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Dark vs. Innovation game 3 was a m a z i n g

I think it might be the most I've ever enjoyed a StarCraft 2 game

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/173399376?t=1h18m47s

@MMMig You will love it

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Messed around some more with coop with a buddy. Karax is a ton of fun. His orbital strike stuff actually hurts the stupid hybrids and so my partner can actually do objectives instead of both our armies getting destroyed.

After my buddy had to go i did one with a rando and it was a Swann. Karax with infinity gas is insane.

Unfortunately zagara and raynor seem to have some terrible anti-synergy so i cant use her with my buddy who has only played and plays raynor.

I kind of wish there were a longer co op mission where you have to break some staunch defense instead of having to fight objectives on a timer. Some missions just seem to end right as its getting interesting.

There are a few missions with a "defend the thing" objective. Granted they then throw a "go deal with this siege weapon" wrench in there but it is probably the closest. The thing is without the timer I'm not sure there would be any challenge. You'd eventually just overwhelm the computer since it probably wouldn't be aggressive. If it was then you're just on a different kind of timer.

Karax is fun, but as with most commanders it is tough if you hit a painful mutator. His army is also lackluster as I feel you have to pump a lot of points into the cost reduction mastery to make them viable. I'm not sure why Artanis gets reavers and Karax doesn't. Or dragoons for that matter. I love his top panel stuff, but so much of his power is tied to them it can be difficult if the objective requires having an actual army.

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    Dark vs. Innovation game 3 was a m a z i n g

I think it might be the most I've ever enjoyed a StarCraft 2 game

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/173399376?t=1h18m47s

@MMMig You will love it

Cancelling my meetings for the rest of the morning!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Got a couple of the coop heroes i didnt have. Abathur is an absolute boss. You end every map with a full 200 supply of super boosted units. Ive only got him to 5 so i dont even have some of his crazier upgrades but i have solod some maps when my partner d/cd or whatever.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Got a couple of the coop heroes i didnt have. Abathur is an absolute boss. You end every map with a full 200 supply of super boosted units. Ive only got him to 5 so i dont even have some of his crazier upgrades but i have solod some maps when my partner d/cd or whatever.

abathur is super fun. although i don't know if i enjoy him, stukov, or dehaka more. fenix is a close "2nd" behind those though

• Options
    I wanted to like zagara so bad because i played her a ton in heroes. But she is nothing but tedious since her army just kills itself over and over. So i swapped to kerrigan because shes zerg too and massing hydras is fun and kerrigan has some cool abilities. But wow, abathur just craps out mutas like its his job but they destroy everything. Havent tried stukov yet but i do own him.

Kind of excited for the upcoming balance changes too just to keep things interesting. Though having to cast chronoboost again is a good reason to continue not playing protoss.

• Options
    the early "wave 1" commanders need revamps. zag feels so underpowered for example

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    For anyone who still might watch, the gsl finals were incredible.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    they added a bunch of mutators to custom games, but to my knowledge they still havent added the competitive mutator

• Options
    Anyone tried total biscuit's axiom mod? It sounds really interesting. There are a shitton of significant changes so it's tough to judge.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Starcraft II is becoming at least partially free-to-play. I didn't quite catch the details, but it was pretty clearly introduced as "trying to get more players"

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well what the hell do I get since I paid full price for it?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

You get nothing!

Good day sir!

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Looks like Wings is free, if you own Wings you get Heart, and if you own both you get to buy Legacy?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    That seems pretty normal. I think they actually had already done a small-scale version of this before, by making parts of the base game free after (or maybe just before) Heart of the Swarm came out.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

The ability to have played it for the last 7 years or whatever?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    What do I get if I bought HOTS? Being able to play it for however many years before LOTV of more broodlord infestor style of shit 100% wasn't worth the money.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    They're only talking about campaigns, but everyone gets the full Legacy of the Void MP experience for free.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    That seems pretty normal. I think they actually had already done a small-scale version of this before, by making parts of the base game free after (or maybe just before) Heart of the Swarm came out.

Yeah, in a couple of ways. First was making Arcade accessible from the demo. The other was spawn copies. If you were in a party with someone who owned one of the older expansions (or even the demo) they would be upgraded to your version of the game for multiplayer matches.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Now that they're doing whole army skins, I'm surprised they haven't announced any Remastered-style skins for SC2. I know it's because I'm a nostalgic old man, but I always preferred the unit design of the first game.

• Options
    Pretty sure we're all nostalgic old men...

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    4wdjZxs.jpg

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So now that this is f2p, if I own upto swarm, do I still have to do the f2p ladder thing or do I just have access to the full mp ranked etc?

Ahh nm, it's in the patch notes:
    The Ranked ladder can now be unlocked after achieving 10 “first wins of the day” or purchasing any campaign or War Chest (when available).

*Edit - So is buying the campaign collection the only way to buy LotV now? That kind of sucks!

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    So now that this is f2p, if I own upto swarm, do I still have to do the f2p ladder thing or do I just have access to the full mp ranked etc?

The Ranked ladder can now be unlocked after achieving 10 “first wins of the day” or purchasing any campaign or War Chest (when available).

*Edit - So is buying the campaign collection the only way to buy LotV now? That kind of sucks!

You can purchase LoV individually in-game by selecting it on the campaign screen.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I bought wings of liberty at launch and enjoyed it, mothballed the game, skipped heart of the swarm, bought LotV for cross title in game loot but never played it.

Now I have a free campaign, some veteran account portraits, and a marathon session of campaign gameplay ahead of me. That's how you game the system.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »

You can purchase LoV individually in-game by selecting it on the campaign screen.

Oh ok, good to know thank you!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    scarlett just advanced to GSL ro16

required her beating the current world champion Rogue in a bo3 which obviously she did

• Options
    IEM PyeongChang

International tourney featuring lots of well known and high level players. Stephano vs. Zest at the moment!

hours are weird for US viewers BUT this might be a fun tourney to actually watch and be able to discuss in here (if anyone wants to, I won't force it so this'll be my last post unless others watch too) due to it being long hours and a condensed tourney unlike GSL, plus the participants coming from far and wide but of course South Korea being well represented (because it's there!)... great casters, etc.

hope some old regulars feel that itch and decide to watch.

@Kedinik @Dhalphir @MMMig

if I didn't signal you prove to me I should have by watching some and commenting!