StarCraft: Zerg; the one true race.

1373839404143»

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Oh god....
    The DeepMind team restricted AlphaStar’s capabilities, ensuring for example that it could not perform moves at superhuman speeds. This proved crucial to the AI’s success, because instead of beating humans through speed alone, it was forced to learn winning long-term strategies.

Also, sadly I doubt this will hold true for long:
    While DeepMind states that it will never be involved in military work

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    BlackDragon480KetBra
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »

Yeah, I don't want real world RTS simulations with other countries based around AI, thanks. I'm sure we run stuff like that against statistics and probability, but something like DeepMind in the military sounds scary.

Twitch: KoopahTroopah - Steam: Koopah
    Switch: KoopahTroopah - PSN: Koopah089
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »

Yeah, I don't want real world RTS simulations with other countries based around AI, thanks. I'm sure we run stuff like that against statistics and probability, but something like DeepMind in the military sounds scary.

Grunts everywhere doing whatever the feed in their helmet HMD screen says absolutely without question. Drive a tanker truck full of latex paint into the desert outside the base and leave it there? Sure thing, man. DeepMind must have a reason it needs to be there.

_
    iOS: hlprmnky | PSN: hlprmnky_2 | SC2: Callow.126
    KoopahTroopahElvenshae
  • MonwynMonwyn Registered User regular
    In other news, there's a new round of balance tweaks for testing.

TLDR:
    Battlecruiser changes undone (fine)
    Infested Terrans gone, Infestors now have Dark Swarm that only protects ground units against air attacks and costs 100 energy (Hydras still suck and this is too expensive to help)
    Zealot Charge no longer deals charge damage, but makes Zealot movement speed comparable to that of off-creep Speedlings (!!!)

uH3IcEi.png
    MNC Doverkime3clipseKoopahTroopah
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    More significantly, zealot speed equivalent to a stimmed marine.

They're now completely removing the bonus Charge impact damage. I think this decreases the power of zealots in the initial combat against stimmed bio, but makes them more powerful in any form of extended skirmish because they'll be able to engage and disengage more cleanly without being tied to the charge cooldown.

Dhalphir on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Infestors pooping out infested terrans from nowhere always seemed thematically really weird to me, but infested terrans are also cool, so completely getting rid of them is a shame.
    DeepMind has come

44 days from noob to GrandMaster.

pff, big deal, half of all people on your average twitch chat are GrandMaster. Or so I've been told.

BloodySloth on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Be very interested to see that AI thrown at something like League of Legends, or a similar team based game. That seems a step beyond? But also not htat big a step given how MOBAs grew out of RTSes.

Also is that a specific refrence, Hlprmnky?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Be very interested to see that AI thrown at something like League of Legends, or a similar team based game. That seems a step beyond? But also not htat big a step given how MOBAs grew out of RTSes.

Already done in DOTA2. Look here:
    https://openai.com/blog/openai-five/
    https://openai.com/five/

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the worst thing about new changes to balance test maps is they always sound so cool and make me want to do some ladder, but then i'd be playing with the old balance, which isn't as interesting, so i don't do anything, and then i forget about laddering, and i tune out and never notice when the changes go live

repeat every balance pass

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular

Nope, just how I imagine genetic algorithms will fight wars.

_
    iOS: hlprmnky | PSN: hlprmnky_2 | SC2: Callow.126
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I like these changes. never liked infested terrans, I just don't like almost anything that's made to be spammed like that, and zealots sound more like SC1. all for it.

bummed about maru at blizzcon but I was glad Serral got knocked down. nothing against him -at all-, just always fun to see an underdog win.

I'm actually not even sure who won the finals! but I did see who won Hearthstone! that's crazy! not even sure who she is, I haven't followed HS in over 2 years now (crazy!!! I was so into that game as some of you know) but my jaw dropped. awesome news.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    I don't know if it's been mentioned at all during Blizzcon, but they're introducing Mengsk as a new co-op commander:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-gb/starcraft2/23185584/new-co-op-commander-arcturus-mengsk

It sounds like he focuses on having a bulk trash army of worker/soldiers who can be equipped with purchasable weaponry, backing up a smaller but more elite force of high powered versions of typical terran units.

I've always really liked the idea of having workers that can be conscripted into fighting units. Now I just need to actually start playing co-op like I've been meaning to forever.

MMMigWingedWeasel
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's been mentioned at all during Blizzcon, but they're introducing Mengsk as a new co-op commander:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-gb/starcraft2/23185584/new-co-op-commander-arcturus-mengsk

It sounds like he focuses on having a bulk trash army of worker/soldiers who can be equipped with purchasable weaponry, backing up a smaller but more elite force of high powered versions of typical terran units.

I've always really liked the idea of having workers that can be conscripted into fighting units. Now I just need to actually start playing co-op like I've been meaning to forever.

They mentioned him at the opening presentation

PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    CantidoMMMigKoopahTroopah
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited January 8
    If people are interested, Scarlett vs Maru is on below in the qualifiers for IEM Katowice, and it is already incredible 9 mins into first game.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

Path of Exile current character: Delplari
    kimeMNC DoverMMMigVariable
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I have no idea how to interpret the wcs --> esl change

This also goes for hearthstone and warcaft 3 it would appear. On the Warcraft side it seems great, no idea for these eothers

MNC Dover
    Protoss op.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Variable
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 19
    Just did placements—first time I've played since WoL. Bronzey!

e~ Bronze 100 to Silver 3 in 1 match? I'll take it!

fadingathedges on
    BloodySlothMMMigkimeWingedWeasel
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    The early builds of StarCraft ghost has been trending on news discussion sites. It's really rough, I can see why Blizzard shelved it, lol!

KoopahTroopah
    I haven't watched all of the footage, but I skimmed through some of it yesterday and, keeping in mind it's an unfinished build, I think the game looks like it could have been pretty cool in, like, 2004. I think seeing it for the first time in 2020 is not to best context for a game that was going to come out on the original xbox.

WingedWeaselNobodyschussKoopahTroopahkimeMMMigMonwynMNC DoverBlackDragon480CorsiniJimboElvenshaeDark Raven X
    I kinda liked it, actually.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    MNC DoverBloodySloth
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    If people are interested, the GSL Super Tournament started Wednesday; from the first four matches, all are reasonable, but Parting v Trap and sOs v Rogue are in particular worth watching.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

Path of Exile current character: Delplari