As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] S4E16 - What if... this thread reached 100 pages?

jdarksunjdarksun StrugglerVARegistered User regular
edited April 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Agents_of_SHIELD_logo.jpg

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD began as a paint-by-numbers NCIS-style show with a focus on the covert agency's attempt at keeping the world safe. Things went sideways when Hydra was revealed in Winter Soldier. Nothing's been the same since. SHIELD has been dismantled by the government and labeled a terrorist organization. Fury has tasked Coulson with reforming SHIELD from the ground up. Oh yeah, he was resurrected and might be going crazy.

250?cb=20150415082040

Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg): Murdered by Loki and resurrected by the THAITI project (Aliens Guy: "Aliens"). He's the new director, appointed by Nick Fury himself. Don't fuck with his team or he will end you, politely. Now with cyborg hand!

188px-May_Season_2_Promo.png

Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen): SHIELD elite veteran who says little and packs a big punch. Nicknamed The Cavalry when she rescued an entire SHIELD team from a powered individual. Took a vacation after the nastiness at Afterlife. Currently on vacation, it is unknown if she will return.

landscape_xlarge.jpg

Daisy Johnson (aka Skye) (Chloe Bennet): She's grown up from season 1, no longer the naive hacker living in a van but a competent SHIELD agent... and Inhuman. Evolved into a living weapon after exposure to Terrigen Mist, Daisy has the ability to project vibrations powerful enough to stop bullets - and level mountains. Probably the most badass person in the room. Bears the name and powers of Quake from the comics.

landscape_xlarge.jpg

Fitz (Iain De Caestecker): Technological genius who suffered brain damage when Ward attempted to kill him and Simmons by dropping them in a sealed crate into the middle of the ocean. Mostly recovered with the help of Mack and a shitload of therapy. Loves prosciutto and mozzarella sandwiches with pesto aioli. Also Jemma Simmons.

Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge): Genius biologist who originally wasn't very good at lying, but got a lot better at it after she infiltrated both Hydra and "Real"SHIELD. Swallowed by the obelisk; whereabouts unknown.

450px-Shadows_154.png

Grant Ward (Brett Dalton): A spy sent by Hydra to infiltrate SHIELD. Captured, escaped, captured again, escaped again. Kidnapped Bobbi and tortured her at length in order to rehabilitate the damaged Agent 33. Left to rebuild Hydra after Hunter tricked him into killing her.

1b3216059e6b2a404b0b8f4c5f2a02fa.jpg
Lance Hunter (Nick Blood): British once-merc with a shady past, womanizer and hasn't gotten over his ex, Bobbi Morse. He's kind of a dick, but in that sort of awesome way. Now a SHIELD agent with a serious grudge against Ward.

Bobbie-Morse-300x300.png

Bobbi Morse (Adrianne Palicki): An elite SHIELD operative skilled in deception and combat. Worked undercover at Hydra. Abducted and tortured by Ward; currently in recovery. Bears the name, physical similarity, and fighting style of Mockingbird from the comics.

AoS%2B-%2BMac.PNG

Al "Mac" MacKenzie (Henry Simmons): Big, burly, stern-faced... and as smart with technology as he is emotionally intelligent. Enjoys lightly taunting Hunter about his ex and helping to rehabilitate everyone who needs it. Which is everyone. Fond of axes.

200?cb=20140531025908

Billy Koenig, Level 6 S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and one of the few men trusted by Nick Fury to guard secret SHIELD bases. Billy was stationed at The Playground, an old SSR base presumably in Europe. Billy likes to play Call of Duty during down time.

300?cb=20140728221025

Sam Koenig, Level 6 S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and one of the few men trusted by Nick Fury to guard secret SHIELD bases. Sam was a bit more of a field agent than his other brothers, helping Coulson to rescue Raina from Hydra operatives. When Coulson took the team into the Kree city beneath San Juan, Puerto Rico, Coulson told Sam to head to The Playground and active Theta Protocol if things went poorly.

SHIELD Memorial Wall
250?cb=20140728025712

Eric Koenig, Level 6 S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and one of the few men trusted by Nick Fury to guard secret SHIELD bases. Eric was stationed at Providence, a facility hidden in Canada. Fond of lanyards. Murdered by Ward during Ward's attempt to kidnap Skye for Hydra.

1de0ca4bb83e51a106707e15ca92ab84.jpg

Antoine Triplett (BJ Britt): SHIELD agent and grandson of a Howling Commando. Killed trying to save Daisy during her exposure to Terrigen Mist.

300?cb=20150425104200

Raina (aka Quillsandra), previously known as the Girl in the Flower Dress. An Inhuman like DaisySkye, Raina's powers include moving really fast and collecting rings. Killed by Jiaying (Daisy's mother) while attempting to warn the Inhumans of Afterlife of Jiaying's intended betrayal.

portrait_uncanny.jpg

Robert Gonzales (Edward James Olmos), the face of "Real SHIELD", an unauthorized SHIELD offshoot operating without Nick Fury's knowledge or blessing. Opposed Coulson's SHIELD for a brief time. Killed by Jiaying to incite conflict between SHIELD and the Inhumans of Afterlife.

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD has been picked up for Season 4!

PLEASE NOTE, REGARDING SPOILERS - Tag anything that applies to episodes less than a week old, and obviously tag anything from upcoming episodes.

jdarksun on

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Can we get an honorary place on the SHIELD Memorial Wall for Cal? He ain't dead, but he's gone and that man deserves to be in the OP somewhere.

Spoilers for 3.09
    Oh crap, Rosalind's going on the wall too :(

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Regarding the Appliance Discussion
    Killing Ros wasn't a fridging.. but just barely, IMO.

The original fridging was, of course, when a male hero's girlfriend of little characterization got brutally murdered and stuffed into a fridge, solely as motivation/character development for said male hero. However, the term has evolved from that to a general description for any female character, no matter how developed, being sacrificed for a male character's development/motivation. Now, that isn't inherently a bad thing. Secondary characters exist to facilitate primary characters' story. The issue really stems from the fact that media has long been focused on male characters, so when this shit happens, it happened to female characters almost exclusively. As such, it became important for people to bring up this issue, because it WAS ridiculously common. And we're not out of the woods yet on it either.

So, why isn't this exactly a fridging? Ros had reasons for people to want to kill her beyond being Phil's love interest. HOWEVER, they make it abundantly clear she was absolutely targeted to piss Phil off too, and really we need to dig into Story versus Writing. Storywise, yes it makes sense for Malick to want to take out Ros. Absolutely. Writing-wise, however, there's nothing written in stone that she had to die because of it. They could have written it that Malick tries to have her killed and she survives; or she saw it coming and was one step ahead, or Malick could have not have found out yet. Do not confuse "it made sense she died" with "she had to die." Additionally, she could have been killed in a number of ways, but both Ward and the writing make sure it's RIGHT in front of Phil's face. (Remember, she was planning on going into work the next day; they could have quickly and quietly killed her there.)

The story and writing really demonstrate that the primary reason Ros died was to motivate Coulson, with a little covering of the ass by bringing up that she could work against Malick's operation. So like I said, it wasn't a fridging, but just barely.

The real question is, is this particular event a problem? Does Agents have a habit of doing this? People bring up Banks, but Banks wasn't killed to motivate anyone. He died as an obstacle; a foe. Ward went after Andrew to piss off May, but Andrew lived, still lives, and will continue to live as a villain it looks like. His story will continue. Agent 33 died... to basically make Ward want to build a new Hydra so he'd have something to do in Season 3. Hunter would have gotten killed to piss off Bobbi, but Bobbi took the bullet for him instead and they both survived.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of any male character who was killed off to motivate a female one, now that I actually type all this out. Not what I expected going into it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015

The original fridging was, of course, when a male hero's girlfriend of little characterization got brutally murdered and stuffed into a fridge, solely as motivation/character development for said male hero. However, the term has evolved from that to a general description for any female character, no matter how developed, being sacrificed for a male character's development/motivation. Now, that isn't inherently a bad thing. Secondary characters exist to facilitate primary characters' story. The issue really stems from the fact that media has long been focused on male characters, so when this shit happens, it happened to female characters almost exclusively. As such, it became important for people to bring up this issue, because it WAS ridiculously common. And we're not out of the woods yet on it either.

So, why isn't this exactly a fridging? Ros had reasons for people to want to kill her beyond being Phil's love interest. HOWEVER, they make it abundantly clear she was absolutely targeted to piss Phil off too, and really we need to dig into Story versus Writing. Storywise, yes it makes sense for Malick to want to take out Ros. Absolutely. Writing-wise, however, there's nothing written in stone that she had to die because of it. They could have written it that Malick tries to have her killed and she survives; or she saw it coming and was one step ahead, or Malick could have not have found out yet. Do not confuse "it made sense she died" with "she had to die." Additionally, she could have been killed in a number of ways, but both Ward and the writing make sure it's RIGHT in front of Phil's face. (Remember, she was planning on going into work the next day; they could have quickly and quietly killed her there.)

The story and writing really demonstrate that the primary reason Ros died was to motivate Coulson, with a little covering of the ass by bringing up that she could work against Malick's operation. So like I said, it wasn't a fridging, but just barely.

The real question is, is this particular event a problem? Does Agents have a habit of doing this? People bring up Banks, but Banks wasn't killed to motivate anyone. He died as an obstacle; a foe. Ward went after Andrew to piss off May, but Andrew lived, still lives, and will continue to live as a villain it looks like. His story will continue. Agent 33 died... to basically make Ward want to build a new Hydra so he'd have something to do in Season 3. Hunter would have gotten killed to piss off Bobbi, but Bobbi took the bullet for him instead and they both survived.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of any male character who was killed off to motivate a female one, now that I actually type all this out. Not what I expected going into it.

Donnie Gill in S2.

They brought him back solely for Simmons and for Skye, for Simmons to show she could lie to Hydra and for Skye to show she could do the job.

EDIT: So, not exactly the same, but his character was a plot device for two female main characters.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    At the start of the episode when
    Coulson went all badass on the mercs trying to kill him
    I had a flashback to the "Is there a blow dryer in there? You're gonna be just fine mate." scene and half expected something crazy. The air freshener trick was neat, although I'm not sure that would work in the real world.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Donnie Gill in S2.

They brought him back solely for Simmons and for Skye, for Simmons to show she could lie to Hydra and for Skye to show she could do the job.

EDIT: So, not exactly the same, but his character was a plot device for two female main characters.
    I'd argue he got pretty blatantly "comic-book death'd" so they could bring him back later if they wanted, but okay.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I had a flashback to the "Is there a blow dryer in there? You're gonna be just fine mate." scene and half expected something crazy. The air freshener trick was neat, although I'm not sure that would work in the real world.

It might, after about 45 minutes. Or more. :P
    You can heat an aerosol can to exploding, but it takes a lot more than 20 seconds on top of a couple candles.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Donnie Gill in S2.

I'd argue he got pretty blatantly "comic-book death'd" so they could bring him back later if they wanted, but okay.

I mean, so did
    Ros. She got shot in the neck, was clearly still breathing (but dying) and she has a team of people working to encase people in stasis gel. Entirely possible she'll be back, although I'd say it's pretty unlikely.

If this were a movie though, I'd be expecting everyone at the end
    who went through the portal to just be toast. Coulson's going to try to shoot Ward, Fitz might get hit by accident or try to kill Ward himself, Will is going to be a giant wrench thrown into things too. I imagine a lot of shouting is going to be stopped by the arrival of the thing. Who is supposedly an inhuman! I wonder if they sent through an actual inhuman if the entity would do anything differently.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

More Appliance Repair (Latest ep, 3.09):
    Did Ros have to die? No, of course not, but that's super-arbitrary. The writers can write whatever they want at any time for any reason. They could have had Ros live, or have Ward target Coulson, or any of a million other options that you can imagine. However, I feel that the option they chose fit the ongoing narrative perfectly, and it made sense in-universe as actions and motivations that arise naturally from the characters as written thus far. Additionally, as written, it seems that the writers were completely aware that people would question if this was just another example of a problematic trope, since they took the time to actually subvert the trope in-universe. Again, the problem is "killing a female character to motivate a male hero", generally motivating them to overcome some obstacle or enemy; what the AoS writers did, though, was "kill a female character to 'motivate' a male hero into taking a specific action", which the villain explicitly planned for and took advantage of.

This was not "writers need to motivate the hero to action". This was "villain needs to motivate the hero to make a mistake".

It doesn't excuse the fact that the trope exists, and we should always turn a critical eye toward our media and the landscape in general. This one? I think it's perfectly fine as is, and rather clever to boot.

This is ignoring external factors, too, like "actress might have other work and didn't want to stay on" or "wasn't budget to add another permanent cast member", but that's all speculation and shouldn't actually be applied to any critical review of the writing. It's just worth noting that sometimes, creative decisions are molded by production necessities.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Houn wrote: »
    More Appliance Repair (Latest ep, 3.09):
    Did Ros have to die? No, of course not, but that's super-arbitrary. The writers can write whatever they want at any time for any reason. They could have had Ros live, or have Ward target Coulson, or any of a million other options that you can imagine. However, I feel that the option they chose fit the ongoing narrative perfectly, and it made sense in-universe as actions and motivations that arise naturally from the characters as written thus far.
    I don't disagree that it made sense within the narrative, but my point is saying "it made sense for her to die" isn't a justification in and of itself, because it doesn't necessitate that she SHOULD die. Like you mention that it's arbitrary, which is my point. It IS fairly arbitrary, so when they open the fridge with Schrodinger's woman in it and decide if she's alive or dead, saying "well, it made sense for it to go that way" isn't the nail in the coffin (pun not intended) to the argument because, as mentioned, it's arbitrary.
    Additionally, as written, it seems that the writers were completely aware that people would question if this was just another example of a problematic trope, since they took the time to actually subvert the trope in-universe. Again, the problem is "killing a female character to motivate a male hero", generally motivating them to overcome some obstacle or enemy; what the AoS writers did, though, was "kill a female character to 'motivate' a male hero into taking a specific action", which the villain explicitly planned for and took advantage of.

This was not "writers need to motivate the hero to action". This was "villain needs to motivate the hero to make a mistake".

It doesn't excuse the fact that the trope exists, and we should always turn a critical eye toward our media and the landscape in general. This one? I think it's perfectly fine as is, and rather clever to boot.
    I feel like you're putting the emphasis on the wrong part of the trope and are missing why people dislike it.

Like whether or not the action the male character takes is good or is playing into the hands of the also-male villain, it doesn't negate the fact that a female character was put on the pyre to facilitate that development. That's what gets people riled up. Ironically, you're putting the importance here on what the male character does rather than the what happened to the woman.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    to my mind, the only thing that makes Ros fridgey is that, however nuanced or well developed she may have been, she was killed off in the same half-season and narrative arc she was introduced in, and the arc was clearly planned that way from the go. She was a female character introduced as a romance for Coulson with the specific intent of killing her off to affect him. That feels fridge-ish even if it isn't Kyle's Girlfriend level fridging.

This differs from e.g.) Jenny Calendar in that the character wasn't (at least, not obviously) created specifically to be killed to weigh on Giles. That was something that happened in a more organic-feeling way over a longer period of time.

I don't buy the idea that this is just "you can't kill a woman or it gets accused of fridging". Lets say it was Jemma, instead. She's had multiple seasons and character arcs to grow in. She wasn't written specifically as tragedy bait from the get-go. That feels qualitatively different, to me.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Amusingly, what Ward did to Andrew was exactly an attempted fridging - specifically trying to kill a character for no other reason than to motivate another character.

I think it's just the MO for Ward. Piss him off, and he will go after your loved ones, because he is just that fucked up.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Continuing the discussion about cold storage options
    Reznik wrote:
    Malick was using the ATCU for his own hidden nefarious purposes. Rosalind found this out. With this knowledge, Rosalind would be able to throw a wrench into Malick's plans since she's kind of the head of the ATCU. Malick sent Ward to kill her. Ros was a direct threat to Malick. Ward was in it for the lols, but Malick still needed her out of the way. So yeah, even if Ward didn't want to stick it to Coulson, it still makes sense for Malick to want her dead.
    First of all, I made no statement as to whether the event at hand was a fridging or not. I was replying to the idea that people just call any female characters' death a fridging, which I think is not the case. I think this event is a good point to have a discussion about, and there have been good points made on either side.

Second, Undead Scotsman makes a good point about story vs writing upthread. I would add that there is also a difference between incidental story and thematic story, or that which is in the story and that what the story is about. That Malick had a reason to get rid of Rosalind is true, but it is incidental because it is not he who does the actual killing or he who faces the wrath of Coulson. The conflict between Malick and Rosalind is side-story, it is not what it is about.

Much like the character development, the reason for the murder is thematically irrelevant. You can have a whole book of back story and elaborate reasons for a death, but if the show treats it as mostly a reason for character A to get mad at character B then it doesn't matter. With the death of Banks(?) and Coulson diving straight past Powers Boothe, the show seems uninterested in having the point of this death be anything other than "You killed my girlfriend!" character development.

(Another associated issue is the casual nature of the death, vs a more heroic or at least tragic or highlighted death. Rosalind is just shot out of the blue, and then the episode moves on. Just leave her body and skip the grieving or effect a death has, let's get to the revenging part.)

It could be worse, and I don't think this instance is that bad or anything, but it seems kind of a waste to ignore the potential development of Coulson as a person, an older female character, and how she and her subordinate deal with realizing their operation has been high-jacked. Especially considering that Coulson and co. had the same thing happen. But no, let's go with another good reason to kill Ward.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Amusingly, what Ward did to Andrew was exactly an attempted fridging - specifically trying to kill a character for no other reason than to motivate another character.

I think it's just the MO for Ward. Piss him off, and he will go after your loved ones, because he is just that fucked up.
    to me the difference is given that Andrew predates the current storyline, it doesn't feel like the only reason he was created was to die on May's conscience

it's not super egregious but I think it's fairly clear that Ros was created to be a love interest for Coulson who gets killed off. That was her narrative role in the only arc she was given. The same isn't really true for Andrew

• Options

I love that they hinted Ward may have also hit May's dad, but didn't explicitly say yes or no. Hell, it probably wasn't him... but maybe it was?

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Did Ros have to die? No, of course not, but that's super-arbitrary. The writers can write whatever they want at any time for any reason. They could have had Ros live, or have Ward target Coulson, or any of a million other options that you can imagine. However, I feel that the option they chose fit the ongoing narrative perfectly, and it made sense in-universe as actions and motivations that arise naturally from the characters as written thus far. Additionally, as written, it seems that the writers were completely aware that people would question if this was just another example of a problematic trope, since they took the time to actually subvert the trope in-universe. Again, the problem is "killing a female character to motivate a male hero", generally motivating them to overcome some obstacle or enemy; what the AoS writers did, though, was "kill a female character to 'motivate' a male hero into taking a specific action", which the villain explicitly planned for and took advantage of.

Uh..
    That is not a subversion. For one I'm pretty sure the original fridge girl got killed for the same reason, to make the hero come at the villain so that the villain could beat the hero. It would be dumb if he didn't predict Green Lantern would come at him for that.

Second you're confusing two levels. The writers and the universe. The writers still need to motivate the hero to action, they just motivate him to take a wrong action. The issue of treating the death of a (female) character as mere means to an end still remains. To get from point A (hero relaxing, enjoying life) to point B (hero hastily attacks villain) they kill her.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Just a thought about Rosalind:
    In a world where Coulson gets stabbed through the heart and Nick Fury seemingly dies on the operating table, can we even be sure she is dead dead?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Of all the things that happened in that episode, i cant believe you guys are still talking about appliance occupancy.
    Hasn't that been talked to death?
    It didn't feel that way to me. It felt like something Ward would totally do to get the Hydra plan rolling. I'd rather talk about that epic skydive, and precisely what the hell Coulson thinks he's going to accomplish over there. Also, lets talk about the epic base assault thats about to happen with Shield Team: Daisy. It did make me wonder what the top speed of the nu-Bus is vs the quinjets they normally take out on missions. Can the nu-Bus get there quick enough to make a difference? Also, where did they drop Wards brother off at? Seems odd they took the time to land and let the guy out.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

You can heat an aerosol can to exploding, but it takes a lot more than 20 seconds on top of a couple candles.

I'm pretty sure he shot it while it was on the candles.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Senjutsu wrote: »

to me the difference is given that Andrew predates the current storyline, it doesn't feel like the only reason he was created was to die on May's conscience

it's not super egregious but I think it's fairly clear that Ros was created to be a love interest for Coulson who gets killed off. That was her narrative role in the only arc she was given. The same isn't really true for Andrew
    Andrew has been around longer, but Ros served a lot more purpose than just a romantic interest to be offed. She introduced a new rival agency to the show, was an integral part of the ongoing storyline about how to deal with inhumans, ably provided a sympathetic voice to the other side. All this while serving as a foil for Coulson in ways that had nothing to do with romance.

It's entirely possible that she only came into existence because someone said "let's kill a chick so Coulson gets a sad," but if so, they his it really well.

I think a lot of the grievance around her death is specifically because she was a really interesting and well fleshed out character, which itself is inconsistent with the whole fridge thing.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Of all the things that happened in that episode, i cant believe you guys are still talking about appliance occupancy.
    Hasn't that been talked to death?

I mean, you're free to talk about whatever you want. I think this is an interesting topic, personally, but don't feel obligated to engage if you don't
    It didn't feel that way to me. It felt like something Ward would totally do to get the Hydra plan rolling.
    Sure, it's totally in keeping with Ward's character, but that's about as relevant as the price of tea in China. The fridgeyness comes from the writers falling into the trope of inventing a female character whose sole narrative destiny was predetermined to be the victim of Ward to hurt Coulson. It doesn't revolve around Ward acting in or out of character at all.

It was in keeping with the dude who stuffed Kyle's girlfriend into a fridge's character to do that. That wasn't the problem with the storyline

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Andrew has been around longer, but Ros served a lot more purpose than just a romantic interest to be offed. She introduced a new rival agency to the show, was an integral part of the ongoing storyline about how to deal with inhumans, ably provided a sympathetic voice to the other side. All this while serving as a foil for Coulson in ways that had nothing to do with romance.

It's entirely possible that she only came into existence because someone said "let's kill a chick so Coulson gets a sad," but if so, they his it really well.

I think a lot of the grievance around her death is specifically because she was a really interesting and well fleshed out character, which itself is inconsistent with the whole fridge thing.
    From what I've seen, the level of development of the female character is fairly inconsequential to the overall trope. "The term describes the use of the death or injury of a female comic book character as a plot device in a story starring a male comic book character. It is also used to note the depowerment or elimination of a female comic-book character. Cases of it deal with a gruesome injury or murder of a female character at the hands of a supervillain, usually as a motivating personal tragedy for a male superhero, to whom the victim is connected. The death or injury of the female character, then helps cement the hatred between the hero and the villain responsible."

Certainly it's even more galling when the female character has no character beyond dying and motivation the male character; but you can still have a well developed female character and have her get put into a fridge.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Man I guess I just do not think she was the well-fleshed out or well used in the story.

Like I can't think of anything she really *did* in the story other than: spar with Coulson, flirt with Coulson, fuck Coulson, and die in Coulson's arms. She was seriously the least interesting part of the season to me because other than that, she wasn't really given anything to do in and of herself. I had really high hopes for her getting out from being defined in terms of her relation to Coulson and becoming the MCU's Abigail Brand.

So just my opinion but to me she feels pretty close to the classic female accessory created to be killed off to further a male's story trope.

This is pretty strongly contrastable with Jenny Calendar, who has a presence in Buffy plots that stands full independent of Giles.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    FUCK WARD

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

He did. It was an improvised flash-bang, essentially.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

He did. It was an improvised flash-bang, essentially.
    Just not as loud or bright.

So like... a startlepop.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    A brightkaboomer

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

The whole thing also works really well as plot point for Coulson.
    As long as he is in the position he is in, he doesn't get to have a normal life. He lost the woman he loved, all of his friends and most of his colleagues when he died and was brought back to life. There will always be a Ward coming after him and the people he loves.

He is going to have to make a decision if he wants to keep being a spy, or if he wants to have a life.

I think this is also a step towards him removing himself from director permanently.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Y'all who are talking about fridging are totally just in the bargaining stage of grief.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Y'all who are talking about fridging are totally just in the bargaining stage of grief.

Anger, actually.

The people in Bargaining stage are talking about Kree blood and stasis chambers and TAHITI.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Bobble wrote: »

Anger, actually.

The people in Bargaining stage are talking about Kree blood and stasis chambers and TAHITI.

No, I'm pretty sure that's the denial stage!

• Options
    edited December 2015

Anger, actually.

Nah, denial is "Well, we aren't 100% sure she's dead" and "where's the body?"

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Man I guess I just do not think she was the well-fleshed out or well used in the story.

Like I can't think of anything she really *did* in the story other than: spar with Coulson, flirt with Coulson, fuck Coulson, and die in Coulson's arms. She was seriously the least interesting part of the season to me because other than that, she wasn't really given anything to do in and of herself. I had really high hopes for her getting out from being defined in terms of her relation to Coulson and becoming the MCU's Abigail Brand.

So just my opinion but to me she feels pretty close to the classic female accessory created to be killed off to further a male's story trope.

This is pretty strongly contrastable with Jenny Calendar, who has a presence in Buffy plots that stands full independent of Giles.

I'm loathe to even ask the question, but I really don't know that the discussion can continue in any meaningful fashion without doing so:
    People have defined their interpretation of what makes a death a fridge-death fairly well (given some room for personal interpretation, as these things tend not to be that clear cut.) Would a few people please describe to me the qualifications for a non-fridge female death? What steps must be taken by the writers to avoid it being classified as such?

• Options

Anger, actually.

I was more thinking of a meta perspective.

The 5 stages of grief for watchers of Whedon-family shows:

1. Denial: "What?! Oh no they didn't!"
    2. Anger: "GOD DAMMIT, WHEDONS!"
    3. Bargaining: "This death was totally unjustified! It's just a cheap trick and I'm mad at the writers for not being better than that!"
    4. Depression: "What's the point of caring for any character ever again? They'll just kill them off anyway..."
    5. Acceptance: "Why the hell did they cancel this show, it was the best thing that ever happened to TV!"

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Anger, actually.

I was more thinking of a meta perspective.

The 5 stages of grief for watchers of Whedon-family shows:

1. Denial: "What?! Oh no they didn't!"
    2. Anger: "GOD DAMMIT, WHEDONS!"
    3. Bargaining: "This death was totally unjustified! It's just a cheap trick and I'm mad at the writers for not being better than that!"
    4. Depression: "What's the point of caring for any character ever again? They'll just kill them off anyway..."
    5. Acceptance: "Why the hell did they cancel this show, it was the best thing that ever happened to TV!"

Bargaining is about trying to work your way out of it. Being mad at the writers is just anger. Denial is about working out how what we saw was wrong.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Latest Episode:
    It's not fridging. Period. Nobody would give a shit about fridging if it was just a female character dying to motivate a male character. Guess what? People die. And people die in stories. Often to motivate other characters. Because characters in stories need motivation or they are fucking boring.

The problem identified by fridging is the same problem identified by the Bechdel Test - it denotes cases where the female characters are not allowed to exist as characters in their own right, but only in relation to other (usually male) characters, or worse, as objects entirely. That the woman dies is not the problem. It's that she dies as a non-character, with no personality, motivation, agency, etc. of her own.

The solution to this problem is not to never kill a female character in order to motivate a male character. That's like solving racism by removing everyone's skin color. The solution to this problem is to stop making shallow characters. In particular, it's to stop making shallow female characters who only die to motivate a male protagonist.

Frankly, I think this show has gone out of its way to represent Ros as a fantastic character in her own right, with her own life, her own motivations, her own responsibilities, her own personality, her own relationships, etc. etc. etc. all of which exist outside of Coulson's or even SHIELD's orbits.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

I'm loathe to even ask the question, but I really don't know that the discussion can continue in any meaningful fashion without doing so:
    People have defined their interpretation of what makes a death a fridge-death fairly well (given some room for personal interpretation, as these things tend not to be that clear cut.) Would a few people please describe to me the qualifications for a non-fridge female death? What steps must be taken by the writers to avoid it being classified as such?
    Honestly, the goalposts seem to move on this one

Jenny Calendar was dull as dirt, damsel at least once, given an adorable shoehorned side plot, then murdered literally for the sole purpose of motivating/destroying a male hero

But that's ok!

Somehow

I'm fairly sure, at this point, that you'd have to be killing a multi-season veteran of the show to avoid having somebody shake your icebox

Which I don't want?

Oh, and Tripp was killed literally for tragedy points, whether he had the 'agency' of nobly sacrificing himself for the strangely-not-white characters. But not fridging

There's problematic writing, and then there's calling out a trope like you've got a vocal tick

and I'm the asshole who made a joke about it

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I'm pretty sure Jenny Calendar was murdered specifically because she was a descendant of the tribe that originally cursed Angellus. He also murdered her grandfather.

He left the body the way he did out of pure cruelty, but fucking with Giles was not the point. Ending the threat of the soul-curse was the point.

-edit-

This is an example of why filtering your analyses through tvtropes is not the best idea. You wind up putting the trope you want to bang on in front of the analysis and you get facts wrong.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Yeah, and I'm saying that Jenny was still placed there for that development to occur

And I gave literally zero shits at the time
    I actually feel like an idiot for making a crack about the trope in the last thread, and also for entering the SHIELD thread within a month of the character dying

Because you literally cannot kill off a side character without a contingent of fans screaming about a major household appliance

It's deeply, deeply obnoxious, even to somebody who noticed the problem years before we were gifted with a catchphrase to describe it, that people are going to shit down their pantsleg every single time a something like this happens in a story

I've gotten to the point where I can pick out actors and characters who are toast, the moment they walk on screen, across various shows/movies/games

Hero/Heroine's love interest is always going to end up in peril, and often die

Various side characters are doomed, it is known. Like, always. Forever.

And saying that "it might make sense that this character died, on a narrative level, but it's totes not ok because (TROPE)..." is... wow

• Options

Don't make it primarily for the motivation of a male character would be a good way of avoiding that. Have her death be for the sake of her character and her story.

But again, killing a female character to motivate a male character isn't a bad thing in itself (like I said, supporting characters exist to facilitate primary characters) it's only when taken in context of it being ridiculously common in media, while the opposite isn't, is that it becomes a problem.

This discussion has been closed.