As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] S4E16 - What if... this thread reached 100 pages?

• Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Ketherial wrote: »
    just finished the episode and i really wish they had the balls to have just
    left the alien stranded on the planet.

it makes no sense that it was able to get through the portal. it just makes no sense at all. i mean seriously, are we supposed to believe that right after everyone gets back out of the portal, they just immediately run to the escape pod thing, while the portal is still fucking open? that's just nonsense. it was only open for 61 seconds. even if daisy held it open for longer, there is no fucking way they didn't wait around for 10 seconds more or whatever to make sure the portal closed before they ran to the escape pod.

so either 1) they were around when zombie ward came through the portal and decided not to blast the shit out of him or 2) zombie ward came through the portal however many seconds later before the portal could close because they couldn't wait even just 10 seconds to see the portal close. that's just stupid.

did you guys already complain about this? i searched a few pages back but didn't see anything.

anyway, ugh.
    Daisy was already out, which meant that it was just Mac, Coulson and Fitz. They ordered an air strike on the site as soon as they were out of there, they didn't have the ability to shut down the portal. Remember that at that point the portal would sustain itself when open, and all the tech gear was just to track it. Daisy was there in case they had to keep it open longer.

They were also dealing with Hydra breaking in right as they were trying to get out. They couldn't just wait 10 seconds because they'd just die from Hydra running in or the Bus launching missiles at them. As it was they were close enough that they would have been dead if not for May waiting two seconds to launch the missiles.
    i'm not sure where you got that the portal would sustain itself. did i miss something? all i remember is simmons saying that they had 61 seconds and daisy passing out.

it just felt like a cop out, like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too by both killing ward but still keeping him on the show. feels cowardly. and that's coming from a guy who thinks ward is one of the best things about the show.

honestly, we could try to defend it, but i think it's really quite silly. it's this kind of stuff that makes the series a little bit too comic-booky for me. i still enjoy it, but i often groan.

i definitely groaned less during daredevil and jessica jones.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Well we didn't really get to see what happened. Which I guess they did on purpose for some reason.

But
    it's possible they did try to fight off Ward-thing. Maybe he came through the portal right on their heels and a fight briefly ensued before everyone had to bail on account of incoming missiles.

The Ward-thing was kind of a "big reveal" to the audience, but it's possible Coulson and Fitz already knew about it. They didn't really say anything during the show's epilogue. Just a lot of hugging and meaningful glaces.

RT800 on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Joss was going to be brought in as the over all "top writer" to make sure all the movies and such melded. That position was, well, changed.

EDIT: This is what I read in an article that came out a little after he bad mouthed the heck out of Marvel about Age of Ultron. I guess I'd have to do some digging to see if that change took place.
    EDIT2: Oops sorry this is the AoS thread.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Joss was going to be brought in as the over all "top writer" to make sure all the movies and such melded. That position was, well, changed.

Joss WAS brought in as top writer for Phase 2.

He's been very vocal about Age of Ultron being a huge, tiresome production and that trying to top it is the reason he doesn't want to come back.
    Every movie I have ever made has been an ensemble piece of increasingly enormous proportions. That many balls in the air, it’s only going to get bigger with 'Infinity War.' I’m not going to be able to give it what I would need to.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Here-Why-Joss-Whedon-Says-He-Directing-Avengers-Infinity-War-70816.html

He's spent the last four or five years working on MCU stuff, between directing Avengers 1 and 2, overseeing Phase 2 and working on Agents of SHIELD. It's not surprising he left to go do anything else.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's a good point. It's gotta be super draining on an ultra creative person to work on basically one thing for half a decade. Sorry to derail things. Can we go back to talking about how terrible Lincoln is?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    He's total garbo.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Yeah, the actor's performance has never been very energetic. His relationship with Daisy just doesn't have that spark. The character oscillates between bland and boring. His whole personality and story arc really needs a shock to the system. While I don't want to be negative, I wouldn't mind a scene with him taking place in a theater.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    You seem to be proclaiming that you want the show emancipated from him.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It doesn't help that the only emotion he really shows is petulance. To be fair to the actor, he hasn't been given much to work with in the positive emotional spectrum beyond wanting to bang Daisy.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    It doesn't help that the only emotion he really shows is petulance. To be fair to the actor, he hasn't been given much to work with in the positive emotional spectrum beyond wanting to bang Daisy.

I am also defined by my desire to bang Daisy, but I still can't relate to him.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, the actor's performance has never been very energetic. His relationship with Daisy just doesn't have that spark. The character oscillates between bland and boring. His whole personality and story arc really needs a shock to the system. While I don't want to be negative, I wouldn't mind a scene with him taking place in a theater.

Is that really an oscillation? Maybe a wavering? Wobbling?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

Good thing there's already a Boothe on the show to take care of him.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, and he certainly has the Powers.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Lincoln was almost interesting when we learned he recovered from some sort of substance problem. But they dropped that subplot and haven't touched it since.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Lincoln's AA thing felt to me that the writers realized he was dull as dishwater and needed something, but the only think they could think of was the most boring possible character quirk, that required basically no explanation.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    I've said it before when talking about Lincoln, but that scene he has where he asks his sponsor/friend if he can buy his car revealed to me that the actor does have some skill. He portrayed the shame and desperation of making that kind of request really well I thought.

Sadly, the rest of the time I wish he was dead (the character obviously).

The only way I can kind of justify to myself his existence and Daisy's thing with him, is to think of it as a kind of realism. In real life, sometimes a person falls for someone who is dull and lame and annoying. And it is frustrating to watch.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ok, I haven't watched TV regularly in like 20 years. When is this non show part of the year going to be over?

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    AoS comes back in March. In the interim, starting in January, Agent Carter will be airing in its time slot.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    You seem to be proclaiming that you want the show emancipated from him.

BOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    Pretty psyched for Carter. Takes place in LA this time ?

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Pretty psyched for Carter. Takes place in LA this time ?

Yep, in LA!

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular

it makes no sense that it was able to get through the portal. it just makes no sense at all. i mean seriously, are we supposed to believe that right after everyone gets back out of the portal, they just immediately run to the escape pod thing, while the portal is still fucking open? that's just nonsense. it was only open for 61 seconds. even if daisy held it open for longer, there is no fucking way they didn't wait around for 10 seconds more or whatever to make sure the portal closed before they ran to the escape pod.

so either 1) they were around when zombie ward came through the portal and decided not to blast the shit out of him or 2) zombie ward came through the portal however many seconds later before the portal could close because they couldn't wait even just 10 seconds to see the portal close. that's just stupid.

did you guys already complain about this? i searched a few pages back but didn't see anything.

anyway, ugh.
    Daisy was already out, which meant that it was just Mac, Coulson and Fitz. They ordered an air strike on the site as soon as they were out of there, they didn't have the ability to shut down the portal. Remember that at that point the portal would sustain itself when open, and all the tech gear was just to track it. Daisy was there in case they had to keep it open longer.

They were also dealing with Hydra breaking in right as they were trying to get out. They couldn't just wait 10 seconds because they'd just die from Hydra running in or the Bus launching missiles at them. As it was they were close enough that they would have been dead if not for May waiting two seconds to launch the missiles.

Last episode spoilers
    Also note that Gemma tells them their maths are wrong, and they have 12 seconds fewer than Hydra thought. Could also be that spooky inhuman can also hold open a portal that's already open or any number of things.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Oats wrote: »

anyway, ugh.

Last episode spoilers
    Also note that Gemma tells them their maths are wrong, and they have 12 seconds fewer than Hydra thought. Could also be that spooky inhuman can also hold open a portal that's already open or any number of things.

Or Gemma could have been lying.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

anyway, ugh.

Last episode spoilers

Naah, it was Fitz-related.

sig.gif
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

anyway, ugh.

Last episode spoilers

Naah, it was Fitz-related.

I was going to say that, but then thought it through a bit more: It WAS Fitz-related. She wants him back. So get him off that planet ASAP. So lie that they have less time. Or tell the truth about it. Either or.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I have heard Ward's one true name now.
    He is SquidWard
    tDiM9X9.jpg

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    He used to be a simple Wardboy but
    he lived. He died. He lives again! As the Immortan Ward.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Re: Daisy and Lincoln:
    Remember that he helped her through her transition, which is the most terrifying thing she's been through. He's the first truly friendly Inhuman she meets. Also, recall what she said to Coulson about how she understood Ward because growing up the way they did profoundly affects your worldview, and how Ward (and, by implication, Daisy) "feels too much". The way Ward latched onto Agent 33 could be similar to the way Daisy fell for Lincoln - it's not so much the person that's important; it's more that they were in the right place at the right time and the right emotional state (that is, lost and scared as hell).

As for the other direction, Lincoln having an awkward crush on Daisy seems in-character for him, especially considering she was, until recently, the only person he had left who 1) was trustworthy and 2) hadn't known him long enough to know about the things he's ashamed of.

In that light, it's plausible that they'd attempt to be a couple in spite of not being great for each other.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    There's nothing about them that makes them not great for each other strictly speaking. They're just not interesting to watch. But it's not a huge part of any episode, either.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    He used to be a simple Wardboy but

Wow...I intended to respond to this with a single line of lyrics...but as i kept reading I think I have discovered the entire basis for Wards Character.
    I mean ive only changed 2 different words in the entire song.

Hes just a Ward boy....

"Wardhemian Rhapsody"

Is this the real life?
    Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide,
    No escape from reality.

Open your eyes,
    Look up to the skies and see,
    I'm just a Ward boy, I need no sympathy,
    Because I'm easy come, easy go,
    Little high, little low,
    Anyway the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me.

Mama, just killed a man,
    Put a gun against his head,
    Pulled my trigger, now he's dead.
    Mama, life had just begun,
    But now I've gone and thrown it all away.

Mama, ooh,
    Didn't mean to make you cry,
    If I'm not back again this time tomorrow,
    Carry on, carry on as if nothing really matters.

Too late, my time has come,
    Sent shivers down my spine,
    Body's aching all the time.
    Goodbye, everybody, I've got to go,
    Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth.

Mama, ooh (anyway the wind blows),
    I don't wanna die,
    I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all.

I see a little silhouetto of a man,
    Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?
    Thunderbolt and lightning,
    Very, very frightening me.
    (Hydra) Hydra.
    (Hydra) Hydra,
    Hydra Figaro
    Magnifico.

I'm just a Ward boy, nobody loves me.
    He's just a Ward boy from a Ward family,
    Spare him his life from this monstrosity.

Easy come, easy go, will you let me go?
    Bismillah! No, we will not let you go. (Let him go!)
    Bismillah! We will not let you go. (Let him go!)
    Bismillah! We will not let you go. (Let me go!)
    Will not let you go. (Let me go!)
    Never, never let you go
    Never let me go, oh.
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
    Oh, mama mia, mama mia (Mama mia, let me go.)
    Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me.

So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye?
    So you think you can love me and leave me to die?
    Oh, baby, can't do this to me, baby,
    Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here.

(Oh, yeah, oh yeah)

Nothing really matters,
    Anyone can see,
    Nothing really matters,
    Nothing really matters to me.

Anyway the wind blows.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I can forgive the pairing of Daisy/Lincoln if only because I really just like both the actors.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=129786

Apparently the Mockingbird spinoff has a pilot being greenlit. Interesting.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=129786

Apparently the Mockingbird spinoff has a pilot being greenlit. Interesting.

I've always been torn about this, because it sounds cool, but I'd also hate to lose her and Hunter from Agents of SHIELD.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm in the minority where I don't find her character all that compelling... But it's good news for the franchise as a whole, so there's that!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I guess I'm in the minority where I don't find her character all that compelling... But it's good news for the franchise as a whole, so there's that!

Yeah, I really like her on SHIELD (and I love Hunter), but I'm not sure I need this spinoff. We'll see.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I want a Deathlok spinoff. Just Mike roaming the country with his son, solvin' problems and takin' on the Man.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    There was a character introduced into season 3 of Arrow as a sorta love-interest for Thea, the Arrow's sister, who reminds me of Lincoln. I'm kinda hoping Lincoln's arc resolves similarly.
    He turns on Daisy and is then killed hard.

The series has earned enough credit for me to just sit back and wait for his presence to make sense in the larger scheme of the show. Maybe he'll be the next Ward.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

This discussion has been closed.