Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp]Shadowrun - Bump in the Night

13637394142

Posts

  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Was gonna write a follow-up post, is Tantrum outside the bar or at least visible? @Maclay

  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Pretty much right outside the building, but not overly close to the door. From the sound of things, there isn't much going on in the way of windows though (on account of earlier not knowing about the bar's general lack of trolls before entering). So probably not visible, or at least I can't see you.

    EDIT: I guess I have thermal vision, but the number of warm bodies between us presumably obfuscates that.

    Maclay on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    "My assumption would be they get us in and then see if we're retrieving anything of value worth taking...."

    "It might benefit us to hybridize our approach. Some of us have trustworthy id; others don't. Fine. But we might need the relationship with the koshari when we come out with unknown cargo, neh?."

    I wonder...is the tour reservation system on that 'link in the back?

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    You'd need to start making some rolls to figure that out.

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    "Hold on," Duma says, "let me look at something. Drink and quarrel for 3 to 6 minutes, ok?"



    aw man

    rolling is hard. :-P

    I'll load sneak and stealth and dip in covertly with my ASDF set to 2[6]43
    I'll run silently with my deck, leaving my avalon on as a dummy and letting an agent on it do some web browsing now and then, purely so I don't look like a dark spot
    Shades down, headphones on, like I'm nodding off a hangover while my fellows figure out if we're going to take the tour or if we've slummed enough for the day.

    the hot sim bonus offsets the running silent penalty, so I'll leave it out.
    First, I'll take a look around for spiders:

    Geth, roll 9d6t5 to see if anyone's looking

    Then, I'll take a first look at the system:

    geth, roll 9d6t5 for matrix perception, i'd like to know the device rating on a net hit

    If the DR is >5, I'll go for two marks with hack on the fly

    Geth, roll 12d6 for attempt.TwoMarks

    If the DR is <=5, I'll go for three

    Geth, roll 7d6t5 for attempt.AllThreeMarks

    in either case, if successful, I'll start Snooping

    geth roll 12d6t5 for MiTM Shenanigans

    If I have spare Matrix Perception hits, I'd like to use them to catalog marks on the target and to learn the target's ASDF, in the order F A D S (assuming it even has an A and S)

    to see if anyone's looking:
    9d6t5 2 [9d6t5=5, 4, 5, 4, 2, 4, 3, 1, 4]
    matrix perception, i'd like to know the device rating:
    9d6t5 4 [9d6t5=1, 3, 5, 6, 1, 4, 2, 6, 5]
    attempt.TwoMarks:
    12d6 39 [12d6=6, 4, 3, 5, 4, 4, 1, 4, 1, 3, 1, 3]
    attempt.AllThreeMarks:
    7d6t5 3 [7d6t5=2, 6, 2, 2, 1, 5, 6]
    MiTM Shenanigans:
    12d6t5 6 [12d6t5=5, 2, 2, 6, 6, 5, 1, 1, 3, 1, 6, 5]

    JohnnyCache on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    We'll see where that gets me; maybe I can watch someone else book a tour and not have to snoop as hard.

    JohnnyCache on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    @JohnnyCache - As you slip on your shades and relax on a barstool, you give quick instructions to keep the bartender from kicking you out, and delve into the Matrix. You see no sign of anyone watching the Matrix closely, so you feel free to take a closer look at the device in the back room, which you can tell has a Rating of 4. You see that it has a Firewall of 6, and Data Processing of 4.

    You crack your knuckles, and begin to spin the red loop of thread that signals your mark. Before you can get too far, however, you feel a stamp on your arm. You look to see the logo of the bar impressed on your arm - they got a mark on you.

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    ? The bartender? I would absolutely not inform the bartender I was about to go full vr in their bar. I was speaking to the party. Did they mark the unslaved com-link I set up as a dummy or my deck? If it's the former, so be it.

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Sorry, was referring to you telling the party to make sure no-one disturbs you.

    Also it marked your deck, as that is what was used to try and gain access.

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    Did...did I get a mark on it?

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    no - their roll best yours, so you failed to get marks on it, and since you used Hack on the Fly it got a mark on your deck.

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    (sigh)

    I'll do an erase mark and then proceed.

    geth, roll 10d6t5 to erase mark

    to erase mark:
    10d6t5 3 [10d6t5=5, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 2, 2, 3]

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    @JohnnyCache - The mark comes off easily.

    @Egos @Brody @Tantrum @Steelhawk - Anyone not returning to talk with the Koshari make a visual Perception test.

  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I think Blackfish would have stuck next to Dumah.

    "The shore does not dream of you." - Blind poet Gallan.
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    I will remain outside at this juncture.
    Geth roll 9d6t5 for Perception

    Perception:
    9d6t5 0 [9d6t5=1, 4, 1, 3, 4, 2, 1, 3, 2]

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    I'll try again, one mark at a time
    Geth roll 17d6t5 for markings

    markings:
    17d6t5 3 [17d6t5=3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 4, 1, 3, 1, 3, 4, 6, 2, 2, 3, 5, 6]

  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I was gonna write my character as convening with Tantrum, so I'll give it a roll

    geth roll 9d6t5 for Visual Perception

    Visual Perception:
    9d6t5 3 [9d6t5=2, 5, 4, 6, 2, 2, 3, 5, 1]

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Sorry I haven't been active. Weekend away for the wife's birthday. Waiting at an airport now to fly home.

    Does anyone have any specific concerns about Halona that they want Breach to bring up?


  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Anyone who rolled 3+ hits for perception:
    Out of the corner of your eye, you see a large troll emerge from a back room. He is wearing a nice shirt & vest combo, and has on sunglasses. He is starting to wander and look around the bar area.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Picking up the drinks, Breach makes his way back to Halona's table, not noticing whether or not a vest wearing troll entered the bar. He his down again and slides the Negroni over to the elf while sipping his own cocktail.

    "So. We're not ready to jump into anything yet, but my team is interested in your operation. You get us in, we do our thing for a few days, and you extract us again. Easy." Breach smiles before leaning forwards, "Now comes the haggling....850 creds a head, half on insertion and the other half on extraction. With a bonus if things get hairy with the locals, of course."

    Geth, roll 11d6t5 for Negotiation

    Woah. Am I reading the karma section correctly? To increase my Influence Group skill from 5 to 6 it will cost me 105 karma? Or to increase an attribute from 4 to 5 will cost me 100 karma?

    Negotiation:
    11d6t5 3 [11d6t5=4, 4, 5, 4, 1, 6, 3, 1, 4, 6, 4]

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    geth roll 12d6t5 to try that snoop again

    to try that snoop again:
    12d6t5 4 [12d6t5=5, 4, 5, 2, 1, 6, 3, 5, 4, 3, 1, 4]

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    I'll switch back to AR to monitor the snoop, I don't think I need to watch that in excruciatingly time dilated hot sim

  • EgosEgos Registered User regular

    @Farangu
    should the troll mean anything to me or is just something that stands out?

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    @JohnnyCache which snoop are you referring to?

    @Egos Not on itself, but you know the following things:

    Excluding your group, this is the only troll here. He came from a back room, dressed like the help, not long after Dumah began poking around the Matrix here.

  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    "Well someone has stirred the hornet's nest." intentionally avoiding using the terms "you" or any codenames . Taking a swig , he tries to see what the troll is up to exactly.


    if I can
    geth roll 9d6t5 Security Design if I can guess what likely set off the trolls alarms

    the trolls alarms:
    9d6t5 2 [9d6t5=6, 4, 2, 2, 1, 2, 3, 6, 3]

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    the snoop command I'm running on their computer. I'm logged into it (which should basically be unremarkable if it takes bar orders, tour reservations, etc) but I've subverted it just a bit and am using my electronic warfare skill in order to monitor the signals traffic going in and out of it. Basically, the quietest, most passive way I can watch what a system does.

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    @JohnnyCache @Egos:

    You both figure out, Bauta from his security knowledge and Dumah from the snoop, that the troll is reacting to the intrusion attempt that failed, and is looking for folks that don't fit in.

    Dumah also gets from the snoop that the device is acting mostly as an order taker/safari booking device. There isn't much autonomous functionality aside from that. You do notice, however, an external data connection - someone is connected to the device. They're using it to look through the cameras in the place.

    @Steelhawk You bring the drinks back to Halona's table, and make your offer. She chuckles to herself. "A bold offer. It is unfortunate that we have the upper hand in these negotiations. 1100 nuyen, keeping your payment schedule & 'hairy bonus'."

    You are partly correct: the skill group costs 105, and individual skills from 5 to 6 cost 42, without mentioning the training time. For attributes, you need to find the right row based on the starting rating, and then go from there. So if you have an attribute that started at 4, and want to take it to 5, it would be 25 Karma.

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Sorry, missed this last time:

    @JohnnyCache your mark sticks this time.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    "Listen...lets just move this along," Breach smiles and presumptively raises his glass in a toast. "I'll say 900, then you will say 1050. So lets skip that bit and lets meet at 1000 nuyen. Deal?"

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    @Steelhawk Halona's smile thins as one of the men next to her whispers something in her ear. After the man finishes, she stands up and begins to leave, tossing a datachip on the table.

    "The price remains 1100 per head. If this is acceptable to you, then contact the code on that chip with when you wish to be inserted & extracted. If not, then have a good day, shadowrunner."

    She walks away, and over her shoulder she says, "Friendly piece of advice: tell your electronics stooge that habitually attempting to access places they should not be in is a bad habit that could come back to bite them, if they are not careful."

  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Can I make a visual perception check to see get some idea where Halona is headed? Or if there is anything off in body language?

    i assume it would be obvious

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    You can tell that she's heading for the troll in shades. Her body language is fairly neutral.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Breach grins ruefully and waves as she leaves (totally checking our her backside as he does) before returning to the group. Of course he pockets the chip.

    "Well, that could have gone better if they hadn't pegged Dumah as nosing around in their dataspace." Breach says, putting his empty glass on the bar and waving for another. "I hope you found something we can use."

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    "They didn't peg shit. They're broadcasting wifi, I'm listening to it, that's all. There's literally nothing to "peg" at this point. I wasn't DEEP enough to find much we could use."

    A single mark on my deck for one turn is nothing like a physical trace. I've gone out of my way to also look like a normal user. We should be fine unless he wants to do the equivalent of physically shaking down every person in the bar who might have a non-standard link.

    Just to be sure, I'll check my deck for anything clandestine I may have missed:

    Geth roll 9d6t5 for matrix perception

    matrix perception:
    9d6t5 3 [9d6t5=1, 6, 6, 1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 1]

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    @JohnnyCache -
    you don't see anything on your deck that shouldn't be there already. You think the troll is fishing, seeing if anyone is making sudden moves to leave the bar.

    You've left little enough mark that you're wondering how the drek this Halona person knew enough to say something.

  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    "Possible they have a techno who detected you? Or do you think they just assumed loverboy and Ms. Rampage were distractions?" addressing Dumah

  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Am I the only one at the bar. Or are blackfish and dumah there also?

  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I'm still at the bar.

    "The shore does not dream of you." - Blind poet Gallan.
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Just so everyone knows that I haven't disappeared off the face of the earth, Tantrum is still outside.

  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I'm still at the bar.

    Is Dumah with us? I've been a bit uncertain where she's been during all this. I assumed the van....

Sign In or Register to comment.