As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PODCAST THREAD has sinned against both Man and God.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I like that Serial raised the profile of podcasts in the cultural mainstream.

I have a brother and his wonderful wife who have taken up episodes of Serial as their first podcasts (as far as I know).

On an aside, How do you refer to spouses of family members?

I don't like the idea of suggesting this person is anything less than a sister to me, but I also don't want to suggest an incestous relationship in conjunction with my brother?
    Like reforming that sentence to "my brother and sister" doesn't sound quite right.
    Hmm... I'll probably still refer to her as a sister in law, but she's pretty great.

I think sister-in-law covers this pretty well, at least in English. I'm sure German has a 20-letter word that more precisely relays the thought, though.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular

I have a brother and his wonderful wife who have taken up episodes of Serial as their first podcasts (as far as I know).

I don't like the idea of suggesting this person is anything less than a sister to me, but I also don't want to suggest an incestous relationship in conjunction with my brother?
    Like reforming that sentence to "my brother and sister" doesn't sound quite right.
    Hmm... I'll probably still refer to her as a sister in law, but she's pretty great.

Is this not the reason that "in-laws" exist in the first place?

So you can call them "mom" or "sis" to their face while still letting strangers know that nothing weird's going on?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Someone should do a Malcom in the Middle podcast!

Okay what you do is one person watches an episode of Malcolm in the Middle

And the other person watches an episode of Breaking Bad

And neither one knows that the other watched a different show

And they discuss the episode

call it Bad Malcom orrrr Bad in the Middle

Breaking in the Middle.

Breaking Malcom

Erin The Red
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

I think sister-in-law covers this pretty well, at least in English. I'm sure German has a 20-letter word that more precisely relays the thought, though.

Meinesbrudersfraudieichalseineschwester

cdci44qazyo3.gif

SimBenGrey Ghost
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The one that keeps tripping me up is that I also call extended in-laws in-laws even though I think technically the definition doesn't cover them?

Like, I call my girlfriend's sister's husband my brother-in-law but I think that's "officially" one degree removed too much to cover him.

sig.gif
    SimBen wrote: »
    The one that keeps tripping me up is that I also call extended in-laws in-laws even though I think technically the definition doesn't cover them?

Like, I call my girlfriend's sister's husband my brother-in-law but I think that's "officially" one degree removed too much to cover him.

Same solution we use for cousins. Brother-in-law-once-removed.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

That's a mouthful.

sig.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    pre-lim Serial opinion:

this Berghdal guy should get what's coming to him, what a dumbass

It certainly sounds like what a 23 year old with something to prove would do

6F32U1X.png
    NeoTomaThorn413

That's a mouthful.

Yeah, that's why I usually just distill those distant cousins down to "cousin".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    The first episode of Nerdist I have listened to in probably 6 months is Fred Savage

Who may be reaching Hanksian levels of likability

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    K3pSVRd.png

TallahasseerielOmnipotentBagelThe BetgirlOlivawDuke 2.0EtchwartsYaYaGrey GhostmasterofmetroidSpeed RacerWeedLordVegetaMs DapperAtari SoulStiltsErin The RedKwoaru-TalCilla BlackGatsbyCos
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So after not touching the game for like a year, Hi-Rez is putting out a huge patch for Tribes Ascend that is completely changing the game, overhauling old core systems, dropping all progression from the game, bringing back the classic Tribes class system, and tons of other changes.

And it makes me wonder, because this could end up being my favorite thing I play this year... how things like patches, overhauls, expansions, etc should be considered for something like game of the year.

Does MGSV get knocked for the terrible patches that got released for it? Can this version of Tribes: Ascend be seen as a new game? Shit be cray, yo.

I think Giant Bomb's "best game that technically didn't come out this year" style award categories are becoming increasingly relevant and more outlets should make use of them

Its' especially relevant when you start your GotY stuff at the beginning of the December.

Still pissed Talos Principle missed out.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think Serial's most fascinating aspect was watching the creators get increasingly in over their heads. Both in the investigation and the phenomenon. I don't think that makes it unproblematic. But listening to what was essentially the real time creation of a crime documentary was pretty interesting

aGPmIBD.jpg
    NeoTomaWeedLordVegetaTheodore Floosevelt
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I think it would have hooked me too if I gave it a chance, especially for that meta aspect, but I was adamant from the gate.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Episode 11: Cap'n Crunch's Crunchling Adventure
    Luke is joined with returning guests Tal, Jason, Graham, and Lau, to rank another five games. They discuss Mega Man visual novels, the misogyny of 21st century Apple II games, the UNREPENTANT PLAGIARISM of the Witcher franchise, the wonderful and crazy world of Arabian-inspired sidescrolling beat-em-ups, and most importantly, the cultural significance and legal jurisdiction of Cap'n Crunch. YOUR GAMES THIS WEEK ARE: Super Adventure Rockman, for Sega Saturn; Retro Fever, for PC; Zeewolf, for PC; Arabian Magic, for Arcade; and Capn' Crunch's Crunchling Adventure, for PC. You can find the up-to-date list at http://bit.ly/1OwXNVt

Speed Racer on
    DJ EebsNeoTomaMs DapperWeedLordVegetaDarkPrimusCilla Black
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Luke is joined with returning guests Tal, Jason, Ashley, and Lau, to rank another five games. They discuss Mega Man visual novels, the misogyny of 21st century Apple II games, the UNREPENTANT PLAGIARISM of the Witcher franchise, the wonderful and crazy world of Arabian-inspired sidescrolling beat-em-ups, and most importantly, the cultural significance and legal jurisdiction of Cap'n Crunch. YOUR GAMES THIS WEEK ARE: Super Adventure Rockman, for Sega Saturn; Retro Fever, for PC; Zeewolf, for PC; Arabian Magic, for Arcade; and Capn' Crunch's Crunchling Adventure, for PC. You can find the up-to-date list at http://bit.ly/1OwXNVt

What's my fucking name, Luke

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY OF THESE FUCKING THINGS I'VE BEEN MAKING THINGS GET CONFUSED FUCK YOU

(i will fix it)

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Luke is joined with returning guests Tal, Jason, Ashley, and Lau, to rank another five games. They discuss Mega Man visual novels, the misogyny of 21st century Apple II games, the UNREPENTANT PLAGIARISM of the Witcher franchise, the wonderful and crazy world of Arabian-inspired sidescrolling beat-em-ups, and most importantly, the cultural significance and legal jurisdiction of Cap'n Crunch. YOUR GAMES THIS WEEK ARE: Super Adventure Rockman, for Sega Saturn; Retro Fever, for PC; Zeewolf, for PC; Arabian Magic, for Arcade; and Capn' Crunch's Crunchling Adventure, for PC. You can find the up-to-date list at http://bit.ly/1OwXNVt

When you agree to appear on Let's Place, you forfeit naming rights to Luke.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

clearly if you have the time to criticize me you have the time to criticize and then place games so i'm fucking claling you

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    come place games with me

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Speed Racer
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

you been actin shady, ain't callin me baby

The BetgirlQanamilTheySlashThemDex DynamoWeedLordVegetaReynoldsTheodore FlooseveltCilla Black
    edited December 2015
    clearly if you have the time to criticize me you have the time to criticize and then place games so i'm fucking claling you

Take more time spelling, less time calling.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

QanamilReynolds
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    come place games with me

I am literally falling asleep while writing this or I totally would

People I didn't @ last time:

@NeoToma @Peewi @-Tal

probably other peopl

Kilroy wrote: »
    come place games with me

I am literally falling asleep while writing this or I totally would

:(

Get sleep

Kilroy
    I'm making supper!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'm editing other podcasts!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

HORSE SHIT

Kilroy wrote: »

you been actin shady, ain't callin me baby

WHY THE SUDDEN CHANGE

KilroyReynolds
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

The infection spreads!!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm at work!!!

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I'm currently running a bunch of scans cause I did something dumb or I would.

Plus I still need to fiddle with my shiny new mic/audacity to lower my background noise.

i didn't know you were all QUITTERS

Cilla Black
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

I want to be in one of these!
    But I gave blood earlier and feel like ass

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

I want to be in one of these!
    But I gave blood earlier and feel like ass

well at least you didn't give ass earlier and feel like blood

Erin The RedOlivawReynolds
    ahahah everyone's gonna have like 40 notifications

Speed Racer
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    well, everybody does know my name

i didn't know you were all QUITTERS

I'm sorry I'm not willing to almost burn my home down in the pursuit of podcasting, Luke.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    ahahah everyone's gonna have like 40 notifications

shit

It is hard to brain tonight

This discussion has been closed.