As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PODCAST THREAD has sinned against both Man and God.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm not a playa, I'm just a video game / Uptown baby, uptown ♪♫

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    So I just sent these in to the bombcast and in case they're over that whole thing by next week, at least you guys can get a kick out of it:

Airplane! = "Is there a pilot in the plane?"
    Spaceballs = "The crazy space story"
    The Naked Gun = "The agent does the joke" (a weird twist on a half-baked expression that doesn't even make sense in French)
    Home Alone = "Mommy, I missed the plane"
    Home Alone 2: Lost in New York = "Mommy, I missed the plane again and I'm lost in New York"
    American Pie = "Graduation craziness"
    Sister Act = "Rock 'n nun"
    Ocean's Eleven = "The Las Vegas stranger"
    Speed = "Step on it!"
    Speed 2: Cruise Control = "We're gonna step on it!"

The Saw series was inexplicably rendered as "Decadence", and then there is the puzzling case of the Die Hard series:

Die Hard = "Crystal trap"
    Die Hard 2: Die Harder = "58 minutes to live"
    Die Hard with a Vengeance = "Walk or die: ultimate vengeance"
    Live Free or Die Hard = "Live free or die"
    A Good Day to Die Hard = "A good day to die"

sig.gif
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    CRYSTAL TRAP

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Serial spoiler:
    *Phone ring* "Hello! This is Sarah!"

"That's me, calling the Taliban."

I don't know why the delivery of this made me giggle so much but it did.

edited December 2015
    CRYSTAL TRAP

As my friend likes to say, "Old habits crystal trap".
    18686563.jpg

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wow

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Also I won a gift card in a random drawing after answering a survey

today I found out the card is just cash

that's my kind of gift card

sig.gif
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Hello people who are involved in Let's Place.

I see that on your list there are fan-suggested games.

If I could be so bold as to suggest you place Pinobee: Wings of Adventure for the Playstation and Game Boy Advance.

It is a game where you play as Pinocchio but you're also a bee.

Thanks, keep up the good work!

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Serial. Are we spoilering things? I will.
    So far Bowe Bergdahl just seems dumb or maybe a little crazy. His original plan was a very bad one. His 'updated' plan even moreso.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Hey folks! How's casts going?
    I am falling behind so hard on things. I stayed home from work yesterday to do some adulting and managed to get a little bit of catching up done while building a base in fallout in my downtime.

Have you all heard Wolf 359? It's pretty entertaining! I'm only a few episodes in but like the premise. Just people in a space station orbiting some distant star and going over some daily life/hazardous adventures.

Also, if anyone has some random D&D questions or questions about whatever the fuck that we can answer in our next recording session, @ me and lemme know! Answering stuff is fun.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I am falling behind so hard on things. I stayed home from work yesterday to do some adulting and managed to get a little bit of catching up done while building a base in fallout in my downtime.

Have you all heard Wolf 359? It's pretty entertaining! I'm only a few episodes in but like the premise. Just people in a space station orbiting some distant star and going over some daily life/hazardous adventures.

Also, if anyone has some random D&D questions or questions about whatever the fuck that we can answer in our next recording session, @ me and lemme know! Answering stuff is fun.

Man, I dunno if I'd call a devastating conflict with the Borg merely "hazardous adventures".

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Listen, I know Serial started today

But the season finale of Pistol Shrimps Radio is a higher priority

6F32U1X.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

@Curly_Brace mentioned wolf 359 last thread as well, she likes it a lot!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    It's me, I don't like Serial and the idea kinda skeeves me out.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

Me too!

I guess it's less the fault of the actual podcast (which is probably great and not that gross) and more the fault of the weird cult that built up around it

People speculating on an actual real-life homicide like it was a... well, a piece of serialized fiction

That never sit right with me

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Olivaw wrote: »

Me too!

I guess it's less the fault of the actual podcast (which is probably great and not that gross) and more the fault of the weird cult that built up around it

People speculating on an actual real-life homicide like it was a... well, a piece of serialized fiction

So you put no blame for that on the people who turned it into a piece of serialized fiction in the first place?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I was okay with listening to the first season of Serial, and even examining it's problematic elements where interesting

Later events have made me no longer okay with listening to Serial

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I was fine with the first season of Serial

But it definitely got weird enough and skeevy enough towards the end and in the post-season that I won't be listening to this one

Me too!

So you put no blame for that on the people who turned it into a piece of serialized fiction in the first place?

I've never listened to it, but I always assumed it was presented more as an ongoing investigation, like a Dateline sort of thing? With one person recounting what they found so far and maybe having some audio interviews or something, and people just got wayyyy too into it

I'd be happy to be educated on what exactly the format is so I can feel gross in peace!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    STEP ON IT

WE'RE GONNA STEP ON IT

I was okay with listening to the first season of Serial, and even examining it's problematic elements where interesting

Oh man

Do I want to know what the later events were

signature-deffo.jpg

Me too!

I've never listened to it, but I always assumed it was presented more as an ongoing investigation, like a Dateline sort of thing? With one person recounting what they found so far and maybe having some audio interviews or something, and people just got wayyyy too into it

I'd be happy to be educated on what exactly the format is so I can feel gross in peace!

That's pretty much exactly what it is, yeah. Sarah Koenig narrates her thought processes and plays interview clips.

It should be noted she carefully avoids drawing conclusions at the end of season 1 and doesn't directly point any fingers.

Buuuut no point of view is without bias, and if you listened to the whole season and got no other information on the case, there's really pretty much only one suspect you could possibly point to.

sig.gif

Me too!

It was exactly that. I mean it spawned out of what was supposed to be a single This American Life episode and just kept growing and growing and growing as the details got stranger and more interesting. It is not presented as a piece of fiction.

Me too!

I've never listened to it either, but I always got the impression it was being portrayed more as entertainment than anything, which is what I find troubling. That might just be misrepresentation due to aforementioned weird cult, I suppose.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

Me too!

That's pretty much exactly what it is, yeah. Sarah Koenig narrates her thought processes and plays interview clips.

It should be noted she carefully avoids drawing conclusions at the end of season 1 and doesn't directly point any fingers.

Buuuut no point of view is without bias, and if you listened to the whole season and got no other information on the case, there's really pretty much only one suspect you could possibly point to.

And that suspect has come out about it and discussed it extensively and how he felt mistreated by the podcast and everything

His story of events is pretty different than the one Koenig presents, and while that's not really her fault

It shakes my faith in the whole enterprise

It really is nothing more or less than investigative journalism in podcast form. A cult built around it because 90% of the people who listen to it had never heard of a podcast before and are into the format. The contents are nothing new.

sig.gif
    Basically the reason it's so interesting is because there's a ton of details about the conviction that just don't make any sense at all, but there's still the voice in your head screaming at you "dude this is all so obvious!"

It is absolutely worth a listen.

• One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I finally caught up to The Adventure Zone yesterday and holy christ the Fantasy Costco jingle is amazing

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular

Oh man

It's basically what happens with all crime reporting, specific details notwithstanding

People start making assumptions, then those assumptions are acted on by people who shouldn't have anything to do with the case, shit gets real morally suspect fast. People who previously were done with the case start doing interviews, some of them didn't want anything to do with it, the list goes on.

Originally Serial at least tried not to be quite so ghoulish (And didn't quite make it even before things got real bad) but as with all these things, the value of the endeavor comes into question

Ah, thank you for explaining. I shall stop judging the podcast itself unfairly.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Here is Diana Moskovitz' s harsh, critical analysis of Serial's reporting and process, which you may be able to figure out from the headline

Still a good read

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/serial-sucked-and-wasted-everyones-time-1673349627

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

Me too!

Well this season isn't about a homicide.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh man

It's basically what happens with all crime reporting, specific details notwithstanding

People start making assumptions, then those assumptions are acted on by people who shouldn't have anything to do with the case, shit gets real morally suspect fast. People who previously were done with the case start doing interviews, some of them didn't want anything to do with it, the list goes on.

Originally Serial at least tried not to be quite so ghoulish (And didn't quite make it even before things got real bad) but as with all these things, the value of the endeavor comes into question

That's kinda what I figured, yeah

I wonder if something like that will be less of a worry in a case that is actively being prosecuted and investigated, instead of a "closed" case from 1999

And heck, maybe given enough time passing from that first season (and its weird cult) maybe I'll actually listen to it

I certainly don't have any problems with investigative journalism, long-form or otherwise. It's just... yeah, ghoulish is the right word for how that first season bubble felt

signature-deffo.jpg
    I'm gonna spoil my opinion for people who may eventually listen to it.
    Basically, what I got out of it was that the trial used some real shady evidence to convict the guy, but it just feels so obvious that he had to be the one who did it. But was it enough to throw a young man in jail for life without parole? I dunno.

That being said the innocence project is involved now and a hearing about his case has been reopened. I'm interested to see how it all plays out.

The only thing I feel bad about is that the murdered girl's family has to relive their nightmare through what must be an endless barrage of interview requests, reporting, and questions.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    When someone posted a video on reddit of the way the murder could have happened, complete with driving to the locations mentioned in the case, and everyone was congratulating them for a good job and his "journalism" I knew the whole fan base got out of hand.

I don't mind Serial, although looking back I don't like it as much as I first did but the whole thing around it made me NOPE of the internet for a bit.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    Balefuego wrote: »

Me too!

Well this season isn't about a homicide.

That certainly doesn't hurt!

signature-deffo.jpg
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    When someone posted a video on reddit of the way the murder could have happened, complete with driving to the locations mentioned in the case, and everyone was congratulating them for a good job and his "journalism" I knew the whole fan base got out of hand.

I don't mind Serial, although looking back I don't like it as much as I first did but the whole thing around it made me NOPE of the internet for a bit.

So really, as usual, the Internet fucking sucks.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

This description reminded me of an episode of malcom in the middle and made me laugh

That was a good show

Somebody do a podcast about malcom in the middle

2x39jD4.jpg
    Here is Diana Moskovitz' s harsh, critical analysis of Serial's reporting and process, which you may be able to figure out from the headline

Still a good read

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/serial-sucked-and-wasted-everyones-time-1673349627

I completely disagree with this. It sounds like someone who does crime reporting upset that their article about a possibly wrongly imprisoned person didn't get the notoriety that serial did so they're bitter. It's mostly complaining that Serial isn't the only investigative crime report and that other people talk about the problems the justice system. No shit. Sorry people latched onto this one?

The argument that Koenig started to run out of material at the end is the only part that I agree with, as the last few episodes are not nearly as good as the first several.

Oh man

That's kinda what I figured, yeah

I wonder if something like that will be less of a worry in a case that is actively being prosecuted and investigated, instead of a "closed" case from 1999

And heck, maybe given enough time passing from that first season (and its weird cult) maybe I'll actually listen to it

I certainly don't have any problems with investigative journalism, long-form or otherwise. It's just... yeah, ghoulish is the right word for how that first season bubble felt

The case wasn't closed, pretty sure they were still fighting for an appeal.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.