As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PODCAST THREAD has sinned against both Man and God.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Here is Diana Moskovitz' s harsh, critical analysis of Serial's reporting and process, which you may be able to figure out from the headline

Still a good read

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/serial-sucked-and-wasted-everyones-time-1673349627

This was a good read

Maybe a little harsh towards NPR listeners, but eh, she's not wrong!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    WeedLordVegeta
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I was okay with listening to the first season of Serial, and even examining it's problematic elements where interesting

Later events have made me no longer okay with listening to Serial

Oh man

Do I want to know what the later events were

It's basically what happens with all crime reporting, specific details notwithstanding

People start making assumptions, then those assumptions are acted on by people who shouldn't have anything to do with the case, shit gets real morally suspect fast. People who previously were done with the case start doing interviews, some of them didn't want anything to do with it, the list goes on.

Originally Serial at least tried not to be quite so ghoulish (And didn't quite make it even before things got real bad) but as with all these things, the value of the endeavor comes into question

That's kinda what I figured, yeah

I wonder if something like that will be less of a worry in a case that is actively being prosecuted and investigated, instead of a "closed" case from 1999

And heck, maybe given enough time passing from that first season (and its weird cult) maybe I'll actually listen to it

I certainly don't have any problems with investigative journalism, long-form or otherwise. It's just... yeah, ghoulish is the right word for how that first season bubble felt

The case wasn't closed, pretty sure they were still fighting for an appeal.

Nope his request had been denied at that time.

It was reopened after the podcast was already done.

• DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    I know Herzog discussion was a few pages ago, but here he is recounting how he saved Joaquin Phoenix
    https://youtu.be/nDcnLfLaFiY

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The Wu-Tang contract is fake, but the Herzog story is real

There is balance in the universe

6F32U1X.png
    QanamilOlivaw
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Someone should do a Malcom in the Middle podcast!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Okay what you do is one person watches an episode of Malcolm in the Middle

And the other person watches an episode of Breaking Bad

And neither one knows that the other watched a different show

And they discuss the episode

Erin The RedQuantumTurk
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

They are not allowed to use character names or locations

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Speed RacerCosOlivawErin The Red
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

They are not allowed to use character names or locations

Yeah, it gets tough

The original idea behind this was something my roommate and I came up with while Breaking Bad was still happening

Essentially we would say, watch whatever season/episode of Malcolm in the Middle as was airing of Breaking Bad on any given night

And then the next day we'd try to talk about it in super vague terms (Bryan Cranston, the wife, his job, and so on)

If we were called on it, we'd just call it "That show with Bryan Cranston, yeah"

And so on

We were a bit too late to the party to actually do it, but that's the way it goes

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Serial was a well produced show that I think was way too eager to allow its subject to be treated like a work of fiction

Koenig herself frequently referred to the people involved as characters

And even all that aside I think it got wayyyyy overhyped and I say that as someone who bought into the hype pretty hard at the time

That said I'm curious to listen to this new season and see if maybe they've taken some of the criticism they've received to heart

Speed Racer on
    WeedLordVegetaStilts
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Here is Diana Moskovitz' s harsh, critical analysis of Serial's reporting and process, which you may be able to figure out from the headline

Still a good read

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/serial-sucked-and-wasted-everyones-time-1673349627

This was a good read

Maybe a little harsh towards NPR listeners, but eh, she's not wrong!

yeah, as someone who worked for a public radio station, I think she's pretty spot-on

WeedLordVegeta
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Serial was a well produced show that I think was way too eager to allow its subject to be treated like a work of fiction

Koenig herself frequently referred to the people involved as characters

And even all that aside I think it got wayyyyy overhyped and I say that as someone who bought into the hype pretty hard at the time

That said I'm curious to listen to this new season and see if maybe they've taken some of the criticism they've received to heart

I damn sure hope they will, considering the story this time features the Taliban

6F32U1X.png
    Speed Racer
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

you're not the boss of me

Speed RacerEtchwarts
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I never listened to serial. Honestly I don't much care for the concept though.

I don't like real crime stuff.

Inquisitor
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I don't mind the concept of serial and do like real crime stuff

But I thought the show was really boring so I stopped listening

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    I was okay with listening to the first season of Serial, and even examining it's problematic elements where interesting

Later events have made me no longer okay with listening to Serial

Oh man

Do I want to know what the later events were

It's basically what happens with all crime reporting, specific details notwithstanding

People start making assumptions, then those assumptions are acted on by people who shouldn't have anything to do with the case, shit gets real morally suspect fast. People who previously were done with the case start doing interviews, some of them didn't want anything to do with it, the list goes on.

Originally Serial at least tried not to be quite so ghoulish (And didn't quite make it even before things got real bad) but as with all these things, the value of the endeavor comes into question

That's kinda what I figured, yeah

I wonder if something like that will be less of a worry in a case that is actively being prosecuted and investigated, instead of a "closed" case from 1999

And heck, maybe given enough time passing from that first season (and its weird cult) maybe I'll actually listen to it

I certainly don't have any problems with investigative journalism, long-form or otherwise. It's just... yeah, ghoulish is the right word for how that first season bubble felt

The case wasn't closed, pretty sure they were still fighting for an appeal.

Nope his request had been denied at that time.

It was reopened after the podcast was already done.

Ah.

Yeah that makes everything more complicated.

sig.gif
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Somebody should do a Serial-style podcast about the crimes of Jason Voorhees or other slasher villains.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    Dex DynamoTheySlashThemMedium DaveGrey GhostOlivawEtchwartsGustavCilla BlackDrIanMalcolm
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »

you're not the boss of me

Life's so unfair.

No I don't.
    Erin The Red
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Someone should do a Serial style podcast about a fictional character the podcasters make up as the show goes along, with fake guests and interviews and stuff, trying desperately to make everything make sense while also not tipping their hand.

No I don't.
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Somebody should do a Serial-style podcast about the crimes of Jason Voorhees or other slasher villains.

Yo I'd be down for this.

Slasher movies are my jam.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    there are at least four serial-style fictional podcasts out there that I can name off the top of my head

black tapes, limetown, the message, the...black tapes spin-off I haven't been paying attention to

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Oh my god I would do this
    there are at least four serial-style fictional podcasts out there that I can name off the top of my head

black tapes, limetown, the message, the...black tapes spin-off I haven't been paying attention to

There's a Black Tapes spinoff?

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    1o0y632m2jk9.png

Okay, that is the best.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I know he's just mollifying us so we don't hate him too much for GOTY

but dawwwwww

sig.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I never listened to serial. Honestly I don't much care for the concept though.

I don't like real crime stuff.

I tried listening to the first episode but at the end I just felt creepy and skeevy and like I was prying into things that were none of my business.

Not saying that folks were wrong for enjoying or getting into it, to be clear. But like you Uriel real crime stuff just isn't my thing. I felt downright gross after listening.

Qanamil
    I want a fucking guinea pig so damned bad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Don't fuck guinea pigs

CYpGAPn.png
    OmnipotentBagelTallahasseerielStiltsThe BetgirlLorahaloGonmunaugustKwoaru
    guinea pigs are pretty great

My cat would kill the shit out of him

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So after not touching the game for like a year, Hi-Rez is putting out a huge patch for Tribes Ascend that is completely changing the game, overhauling old core systems, dropping all progression from the game, bringing back the classic Tribes class system, and tons of other changes.

And it makes me wonder, because this could end up being my favorite thing I play this year... how things like patches, overhauls, expansions, etc should be considered for something like game of the year.

Does MGSV get knocked for the terrible patches that got released for it? Can this version of Tribes: Ascend be seen as a new game? Shit be cray, yo.

Speed Racer
    Guinea pigs aren't pigs at all, they're rodents

I mean I, heh, snort, you know, sigh, phew, heh, I, what

sig.gif
    BahamutZERO
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Oh my god I would do this

There's a Black Tapes spinoff?

Yeah, it's called Tanis, and the first couple episodes weren't...particularly strong

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So after not touching the game for like a year, Hi-Rez is putting out a huge patch for Tribes Ascend that is completely changing the game, overhauling old core systems, dropping all progression from the game, bringing back the classic Tribes class system, and tons of other changes.

And it makes me wonder, because this could end up being my favorite thing I play this year... how things like patches, overhauls, expansions, etc should be considered for something like game of the year.

Does MGSV get knocked for the terrible patches that got released for it? Can this version of Tribes: Ascend be seen as a new game? Shit be cray, yo.

I think Giant Bomb's "best game that technically didn't come out this year" style award categories are becoming increasingly relevant and more outlets should make use of them

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    pre-lim Serial opinion:

this Berghdal guy should get what's coming to him, what a dumbass

NeoTomarhylithcaptaink
    guinea pigs are pretty great

My cat would kill the shit out of him

Get some sort of translucent ball to put the cat in so that it can safely run free in the house.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

call it Bad Malcom orrrr Bad in the Middle

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I like that Serial raised the profile of podcasts in the cultural mainstream.

I have a brother and his wonderful wife who have taken up episodes of Serial as their first podcasts (as far as I know).

On an aside, How do you refer to spouses of family members?

I don't like the idea of suggesting this person is anything less than a sister to me, but I also don't want to suggest an incestous relationship in conjunction with my brother?
    Like reforming that sentence to "my brother and sister" doesn't sound quite right.
    Hmm... I'll probably still refer to her as a sister in law, but she's pretty great.

VayBJ4e.png
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    pre-lim Serial opinion:

this Berghdal guy should get what's coming to him, what a dumbass

yeah

When your reason for wandering off was
    I wanted to do some badass jason bourne shit

you're just getting a big :/ from me

Speed Racer

call it Bad Malcom orrrr Bad in the Middle

Breaking in the Middle.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

NeoTomaErin The RedKwoaruThorn413
    I like that Serial raised the profile of podcasts in the cultural mainstream.

I have a brother and his wonderful wife who have taken up episodes of Serial as their first podcasts (as far as I know).

On an aside, How do you refer to spouses of family members?

I don't like the idea of suggesting this person is anything less than a sister to me, but I also don't want to suggest an incestous relationship in conjunction with my brother?
    Like reforming that sentence to "my brother and sister" doesn't sound quite right.
    Hmm... I'll probably still refer to her as a sister in law, but she's pretty great.

Yeah that's specifically exactly what a sister in law is.

sig.gif
    KilroyBlankZoeCos
This discussion has been closed.