As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yeah that's pretty good. About $8-9 off sticker and ~$4 cheaper than CSI

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    So, I keep thinking about this game. I have a few questions:
    1. Is it okay to proxy cards? If not, is there a cheaper way to get specific ones besides buying the sets they come in?
    2. I was looking at this thread on reddit, and intrigued by the idea of a Vader/Juno/Maarek 3x TIE Advanced list. I'd like input on which of this guy's suggestions for each (if any) you'd take to build a 100 pt. team (and how would you use the last couple points?). Or if it's a terrible idea altogether, let me know.

Darth Vader
    • "Cruel Advantage" (35 pts): TIE/x1 (title, 0 pts), Veteran Instincts (ept, 1 pt), Engine Upgrade (mod, 4 pts), Advanced Targeting Computer (system upgrade, 1 pt)
    • "Leader Vader" (32 pts): TIE/x1 (title, 0 pts), Squad Leader (ept, 2 pts), Advanced Targeting Computer (system upgrade, 1 pt)
    • "I HAVE YOU NOW" (32 pts): TIE/x1 (title, 0 pts), Juke (ept, 2 pts), Advanced Targeting Computer (system upgrade, 1 pt)

Juno Eclipse
    • "Dauntless" (31 pts): TIE/x1 (title, 0 pts), Veteran Instincts (ept, 1 pt), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (mod, 1 pt), Advanced Targeting Computer (system upgrade, 1 pt)
    • "Rage Juno" (31 pts): TIE/x1 (title, 0 pts), Rage (ept, 1 pt), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (mod, 1 pt), Advanced Targeting Computer (system upgrade, 1 pt)

Maarek Stele
    • "Critmaster" (31 pts): TIE/x1 (title, 0 pts), Predator (ept, 3 pts), Advanced Targeting Computer (system upgrade, 1 pt)
    • and I just realized the alternate build he suggests for Stele is only if you have the Emperor on a shuttle or decimator, so never mind.

...So what do you think?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Proxying cards is fine for casual play, but you need actual copies of everything to participate in sanctioned tournaments.

• Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    You definitely want an Engine Upgrade on Vader. Personally, I like to run him with Outmaneuver.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    yo dudes

check yo mailboxes for rebel scum

found an A-Wing in mine

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    1. Is it okay to proxy cards? If not, is there a cheaper way to get specific ones besides buying the sets they come in?

You can find the cards on eBay. Resellers buy the ships, strip the upgrade cards and list them separately.
    Of course, doing that means you have fewer tiny Star Wars ships, so I can't really recommend it. But, you do you.

Also, watch that shipping and handling cost before you put money on the table. Not sure how these guys justify $3.60 to ship a piece of paper...

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

You can find the cards on eBay. Resellers buy the ships, strip the upgrade cards and list them separately.
    Of course, doing that means you have fewer tiny Star Wars ships, so I can't really recommend it. But, you do you.

Also, watch that shipping and handling cost before you put money on the table. Not sure how these guys justify $3.60 to ship a piece of paper...

Unless you're putting it in an envelope and mailing it from your house, then that is just how much it costs to ship something. Regardless of if its a piece of paper or a 20lb package, you still gotta pay for processing and delivery. There are minimum costs for that type of thing. Honestly for something small, anything under $5 is pretty good for shipping.

Now if it showed up in a stamped envelope, well then yea they were price gouging a bit. I would still charge at least $2 for that though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    yo dudes

check yo mailboxes for rebel scum

found an A-Wing in mine

Yup. Got mine, whipped out a gearbox and microhanger for it in about 10 minutes or so, and got its cards added to my library.

I also went ahead and redid my card library, de-sleeving it and setting it up so I can see the pilots all on the same page.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Unless you're putting it in an envelope and mailing it from your house, then that is just how much it costs to ship something. Regardless of if its a piece of paper or a 20lb package, you still gotta pay for processing and delivery. There are minimum costs for that type of thing. Honestly for something small, anything under $5 is pretty good for shipping.

Now if it showed up in a stamped envelope, well then yea they were price gouging a bit. I would still charge at least $2 for that though.

If it was just a card or 10, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason not to just toss it in an envelope and mail it that way.
    But then, I don't really ebay very much, so maybe it's a common thing.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

If it was just a card or 10, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason not to just toss it in an envelope and mail it that way.

Yea I agree, the biggest problem with an envelope is that once it is in the mailbox it is a ghost in the system until it arrives. You could take someones money, say you mailed it and they lost it and oh well!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Yea I agree, the biggest problem with an envelope is that once it is in the mailbox it is a ghost in the system until it arrives. You could take someones money, say you mailed it and they lost it and oh well!

Certified mail is $3.35. Add the price of a hard sleeve to protect it in transit...

It looks like you can get a tracking number for free though at a post office, so maybe it's not that.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    where are these rebels coming from

today I found another A-Wing at my front doorstep, this time with a B-Wing friend

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Where are they coming from the Rebel Scum?
    Are not the empire doing enough sweeps of the sector to help bring order to the sector?

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Picked up Imp Aces and a Phantom after trading in a bunch of unused magic rares.

Thank god for EDH. My old shit rares finally have value.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Picked up Imp Aces and a Phantom after trading in a bunch of unused magic rares.

Who did you use for trade in? Local shop or online?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Where are they coming from the Rebel Scum?
    Are not the empire doing enough sweeps of the sector to help bring order to the sector?

Clearly these are Rebel recon missions.
    Ianator, be sure to secure any confidential documents or super weapon plans. These Rebels can be sneaky.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Elbasunu wrote: »

Who did you use for trade in? Local shop or online?

Local shop. I probably got fleeced but these are cards leftover after two cash sales to StarCity, so I didn't mind not having to do all the leg/sorting work.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    So Vassal now has squad spawning from a builder and auto-bump resolution. That's pretty impressive.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    XeadinMCXeadinMC Reasonable Equestrian Lake Forest Park, WARegistered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    So Vassal now has squad spawning from a builder and auto-bump resolution. That's pretty impressive.

Well, the auto-bump is nice, but which squad builder does it utilize for squad creation? I mainly use this one.

YIVQ28P.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The builders are fairly consistent when dealing with import/export format (they call it XWS and it seems to be in json)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    big, big FAQ update, folks

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/6/bringing-balance-to-the-force/

manaroo, palpatine, zuckuss, and tie/x7 all receiving nerfs of varying degree of impact

I would expect that Dengaroo is going to disappear from tournaments entirely, to be honest

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Palpatine has needed that nerf for a long time.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    XeadinMCXeadinMC Reasonable Equestrian Lake Forest Park, WARegistered User regular
    Welp, there goes a LOT of competitive lists.

Manaroo has basically become Colonel Jendon's equivalent.

TIE/x7 upgrade makes sense.

Palpatine's preferences are now shifting toward ships with lots of dice to roll, since fewer dice means more chances of his ability not firing off successfully. For a card that's worth two crew cards, you kind of want Palp's ability to be powerful, but this makes him more of a 4-5 point, single crew card than anything.

Zuckuss... Zuckuss, Zuckuss, Zuckuss. Now that's a significant nerf. Basically, don't use this on ships that are going to stress themselves beforehand.

YIVQ28P.png
  • Options
    Finally!
    I think dengaroo is pretty toxic to the meta personally. Glad it got hit.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There's a lot of changes and clarifications in the new FAQ.

Ships that were touching a ship at the beginning of the round and then execute a 0 maneuver are considered to still be touching, for example.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    That's a huge clarification and well needed. Especially with U-Wings.

And Palpatine is still worth hos points easily. He was undercosted if nothing else. I have run multiple in store tournaments and seen Palpatine jammed into every list possible. If he can be put somewhere he usually is.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think zuckuss and manaroo are both going to all-but disappear

palpatine and x7 are still going to get significant play

e: also I just realized this makes palpatine better on attack than defense

because you can always call a crit and expect to roll at least one die that doesn't have one

Shorty on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

because you can always call a crit and expect to roll at least one die that doesn't have one

It's still a lot weaker since turning a hit into a crit will often not be all that valuable, and now you've used up Palp.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

It's still a lot weaker since turning a hit into a crit will often not be all that valuable, and now you've used up Palp.

But this is also a much more balanced, but still very powerful use of the ability.

Palpatine was stupidly useful before and worth far more than its 8 points/2 crew suggested. Now it feels like a superpowered c3p0, who has always been useful on ships with low agility at 3 points. If you're rolling sufficient dice, Palatine's ability is more likely to pay off usefully with the more you're rolling. The less dice, the less overall impact and use it might have. Given that Palpatine has always been used for defense stacking on high agility interceptors, this fits his purpose well. It's just you now have to decide ahead of time, instead of when the situation is absolutely 100% more optimal.

This reduces Papatine as the automatic choice in many Imperial Aces lists. Maybe we'll see some creativity with Hux or similar now.

Making something not the automatic choice is good.

• Options
    I am rather pleased with this set of changes. Good on them.

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah I think this FAQ just makes there be choices where before there weren't really any. 2-3 of those cards were just auto-include in their respective lists.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    I just realized that the TIE/x7 change potentially makes PTL better on Defenders (especially Ryad).

3/4/5 speed green->Evade action from title->PTL->action->Check Pilot Stress (green=remove)->perform action

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I just realized that the TIE/x7 change potentially makes PTL better on Defenders (especially Ryad).

3/4/5 speed green->Evade action from title->PTL->action->Check Pilot Stress (green=remove)->perform action

I... what.

That's ABSURD. They can't have thought of that.

Edit: Though to be fair, it's not like Ryad didn't already basically do that anyways.

Overall I'm fine with these changes. I also don't play Scum and haven't shelled out for the Raider so... the minor x7 nerf is all that affects me.

Adaptives actually got an interesting hair-splitting - you can ram someone with them and still take an action, only obstacles result in negative effects.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    They wouldn't be the first ship able to do it. Poe + BB8 can pull it off as well. In fact any rebel ship with an Astromech slot and an EPT can do it by adding BB-8.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Yeah, there's a couple of 3-action combos that can do it regularly. Ryad+TIE mkII is probably the most unpredictable though, until you start adding other ships (ex: Kanan crew)

• Options
    I can't wait for the next in store tournament I'm going to be running in April. I've decided to experiment a bit and see what happens when we let someone use the rule from Imperial Assault that lets you field a Scum and Villany ship in a rebel/imperial list (and vice versa, scum players can field one rebel or imperial ship in their list). I'm really hoping for some interesting and creative builds from this.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised at how harsh the nerf to Manaroo is. Probably to shut down any lists that don't care about stress, or how many stress tokens they can stack.

And thank God Zukuss got nerfed. I think I might hate that card more than Emperor Palpatine. At least Palp only modified his own teams dice. I hated how for 1 point Scum could double the chances on you rolling poorly on green dice.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The Manaroo nerf feels like FFG going, we don't want to see any Manaroo for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't be surprised if they quietly changed it to be range 1-2 in a future errata.

admanb on
  • Options
    The Manaroo nerf shouldn't hurt mindlink lists TOO much. But the perception will be that she's unusable.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I can't wait for the next in store tournament I'm going to be running in April. I've decided to experiment a bit and see what happens when we let someone use the rule from Imperial Assault that lets you field a Scum and Villany ship in a rebel/imperial list (and vice versa, scum players can field one rebel or imperial ship in their list). I'm really hoping for some interesting and creative builds from this.

Careful with this. There are some pretty ridiculous combos you can do (though not TOO many actually; the ones that stick out just tend to really stick out).
    I know because we played a month of league where everyone had to take a scum pilot (max 40pts).
    Serissu+Biggs w/R2-D2 is VERY strong. Someone ran this for 2 months straight (the previous month required at least 1 ship of each faction) and I don't think he lost once.
    I flew a Crack Swarm with Howlrunner+Serissu in the last of the week where I didn't lose a single ship.

Side note: SO glad to be back to regular-ass x-wing for this month.

crimsoncoyote on