As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Oh, that makes sense.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Because I didn't want to stop, I did a test run on a couple items:

First up was the Gear Boxes. In my case, I have weighted washers (AJC from Home Depot) on the bottoms of my stands, so I was worried about the box not being big enough. Turns out it is fine, even with the pole assembled. However, they are in no way designed to support the premium dials, which doesn't surprise me.

Second was the damage boxes for the epic ships. They are perfectly sized for the damage decks when sleeved, so that is going to be an immense help. It also makes me suspect the other tuckboxes are designed for sleeved cards, so I might even make a tuckbox for my primary damage decks.
    wu0YzH6h.jpg

I.. I started working on the epic hanger, but I decided to give my hands a rest for today...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

First up was the Gear Boxes. In my case, I have weighted washers (AJC from Home Depot) on the bottoms of my stands, so I was worried about the box not being big enough. Turns out it is fine, even with the pole assembled. However, they are in no way designed to support the premium dials, which doesn't surprise me.

Second was the damage boxes for the epic ships. They are perfectly sized for the damage decks when sleeved, so that is going to be an immense help. It also makes me suspect the other tuckboxes are designed for sleeved cards, so I might even make a tuckbox for my primary damage decks.
    wu0YzH6h.jpg

I.. I started working on the epic hanger, but I decided to give my hands a rest for today...

Weighted washers? Can you explain this more? And give a link to exactly what you bought?

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    ugh. I am going to have to make these boxes for my Xwing stuff aren't I?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    ugh. I am going to have to make these boxes for my Xwing stuff aren't I?

Ugh. I have 89 x-wing miniatures. That is going to be a lot of cutting.

What hole punch did you order?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »

wu0YzH6h.jpg

Weighted washers? Can you explain this more? And give a link to exactly what you bought?

I'm guessing these are just washers glued to the bottom of the stands so they have a bit more weight to them. Helps them hold their place while placing movement templates. Also helps give a lower center of gravity if you're using a lot of vertical posts for your ships.
    I did a similar thing with a box of WHF Dryads, only using pennies instead of washers.

I could be wrong though.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Eek! I am so sorry, @timspork's ghost -- I didn't mean to tempt you to the dark side of papercraft! ... Though you did get me started with Armada. I just counted, and I have 75 minis not including the epic ships, so.. yeah, I feel your pain.

Okay. The washers I'm using are AJC from Home Depot. They are 1.25" (32mm) diameter and 1mm depth. Because they are so thin, they fit under the lip of the base and do not modify height or playability in any way. And one washer can easily be heavier than the model on the top, helping with stability and keeping your figure from getting bumped.

There is one thing to note though: There are two different kinds of large bases that FFG has put out over the years. One has a circular ridge in the middle, the other doesn't. I think the ridge is for the Epic scale ships. It essentially means you can't center the weight, so I put them around the edges.

I used dabs of super glue to affix the bases, but I don't think I did it very well. I am likely going to try something else. When the ship token is on the base, you won't see the washer in any way.

Edit: I can't link to them because I bought the washers bulk from the store, for like 5-10 cents each (if that much).

SRVnbyjh.jpg

bcNqAj6h.jpg

TPSlnhjh.jpg

The punch I ordered (Which I'm in love with) is the EK tools circular punch, 1/2". It blows the other punches I picked up out of the water because you can actually see what you are doing, and it compacts down pretty small. I got mine off Amazon.

pvNA1zJh.jpg

6h7fOtwh.jpg

b6Kj2ooh.jpg

Finally, I present the temporary home of my collection. I'll figure out something better going forwards, but this is already a TON better than what I was dealing with before!

apreD2Kh.jpg

Seriously, guys, thank you for putting up with me posting all these pics. I don't want to spam the thread, but actually playing the game has been a bitch for me and I've spent literally years debating storage solutions.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    For gluing the washers make sure to rough up the plastic a bit with some gritty sand paper. It will give the super glue much more area to adhere to versus the slick plastic.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    My only problem with these paper gear boxes is that they do not hold the various tokens for the ship as well. That would be super useful.

• Options
    My only problem with these paper gear boxes is that they do not hold the various tokens for the ship as well. That would be super useful.

Yeah, I'm noticing that. Armada was a lot better at this, but X-wing is pretty compact.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I finished doing my own paper boxes after being inspired by the thread. The TFA core set box was able to hold the included minis+ my TIE-D and imp vets minis in the window cutout zone, once I got rid of the black insert. Once I get another mini the box will no longer be usable but for right now I'm pretty pleased.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    I probably shouldn't have tossed the plastic cover for the window part in my cases, as the box becomes very un-useful without it.

• Options
    I probably shouldn't have tossed the plastic cover for the window part in my cases, as the box becomes very un-useful without it.

For extra support and future use, I cut the plastic "lid" from the Imp Vets box with a box cutter and then taped it to the inside of the box top window, so now it's sealed.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, there was no plastic on my old core. Just the plastic from the miniatures holder. Had to cut it and glue it to the box.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Yeah, there was no plastic on my old core. Just the plastic from the miniatures holder. Had to cut it and glue it to the box.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I salvaged the plastic for my X-wing TFA cores, but not for Armada.

• Options
    It ain't much, but it's mine <3

pZh64IMl.jpg

• Options
    I've begun assembling boxes. They are cool looking when done.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    It ain't much, but it's mine <3

pZh64IMl.jpg

Awesome! Defenders are nice enough but Interceptors give me the fizz.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Yeah Imp Aces is definitely my next Imp purchase.

Currently on The LIst To Buy:
    Ghost
    Moldy Crow
    Imp Aces

• Options
    Grr. Memory and looking up things on the internet is failing me.

With Most Wanted, how many ship tokens do you get? I know you get 2 for the Firespray and 2 for the HWK-270, but what about the Z-95 Headhunter and Y-wing?

I'm trying to figure this out so I can prep for printing out the gear boxes for the scum faction.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

With Most Wanted, how many ship tokens do you get? I know you get 2 for the Firespray and 2 for the HWK-270, but what about the Z-95 Headhunter and Y-wing?

I'm trying to figure this out so I can prep for printing out the gear boxes for the scum faction.

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Most_Wanted_Expansion_Pack

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Pretty sure this is what you're looking for: http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Most_Wanted_Expansion_Pack
    One Y-wing miniature with an alternative, Scum-themed paint scheme
    Two Z-95 Headhunter miniatures with Black Sun paint schemes
    Four Scum faction Firespray-31 ship cards
    Four Scum faction HWK-290 ship cards
    Six Scum faction Y-wing ship cards
    Six Scum faction Z-95 Headhunter ship cards
    Nineteen upgrade cards
    Maneuver dials and tokens for your Scum Firespray-31, HWK-290, 2 Y-wings, and 2 Z-95 Headhunters
    Since there are six Scum faction cards each for Y-wings and Z-95s, that should be 3 ship tokens each.

• Options
    Thanks guys. It took me a moment to realize why the image was throwing me off..

3 Z-95 ship tokens for 2 dials
    3 Y-wing ship tokens for 2 dials
    2 HWK-290 ship tokens for 1 dial
    2 Firespray-31 ship tokens for 1 dial

The additional ones were on the bases/pegs in the image. So if I assume 1 box per dial/base combo, they'll be slightly lopsided. But that's okay.

• Options
    Amazon had a lightning deal for the Interceptor for 10 bucks so I bought that. And the Ghost.

But now I'm out of gift cards so the spending spree is over.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Amazon had a lightning deal for the Interceptor for 10 bucks so I bought that.

Darth Vader nods approvingly.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Gear boxes for Rebel and Resistance done. I also cut up and taped plastic to the front of the X-wing box, so I think this is going to be the permanent home of at least the small gear boxes.

Next up.. Imperial. So.. many.. frakking... TIEs!

WAgc1Hih.jpg

• Options
    I also finished the Rebel and Resistance boxes. I then tried to figure out what size storage thing to use. Here are some pictures of them in the Plano toolbox I use for my Armada stuff.

3ynug0e4qxnt.jpg
    Just the ships and the large base gear boxes. They take up way less space than the Imperial Armada ships that usually live in here.

Top tray.
    sxhxm9gi3co0.jpg

I did not remove all the Imperial Armada squadrons on the right. The X-Wing small base gear boxes all only take up the upper left corner.

• Options
    Aaaand... Done!

Well, up till Wave 10.

And with the exception of the Hound's Tooth - I reached out to SirWillibald about the typo on its gear box, and he'll be fixing that with the next wave.

I also discovered I'm missing one snap-peg thingy for a dial. I'm sure it is around here somewhere, and now that I'm "done" I will be able to clean up.

So... time to actually decide what to play. :)

ZXTP1F8h.jpg

• Options
    Wanted to try and built a 100pt list with what I owned, since I was finally able to play again on Sunday!

I own: Ghost, TFA Core, Imp Vets, Defender, Interceptor

So I built this:
    Countess Ryad (34)
    Predator (3)
    TIE/x7 (-2)

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) (35)
    Outmaneuver (3)
    TIE/x7 (-2)

Soontir Fel (27)
    Elusiveness (2)

Total: 100

-1:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron" rel="nofollow">View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I definitely should have just proxied those PTL's for fel, but I wanted to give it a go with my actual physical cards, and I knew i wanted to fly mah boi Maarek, and Countess.

I was up against:
    Captain Yorr (24)
    Emperor Palpatine (8)

Darth Vader (29)
    Marksmanship (3)
    Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
    TIE/x1 (0)

"Wampa" (14)

"Mauler Mithel" (17)

Total: 96

-1:;22:12,-1:23:-1:U.124;153::-1:-1:;17:-1:-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron" rel="nofollow">View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I lost! In the early rounds I tried to race past his forces to blow up the lamda, but the only one who didn't get tied up was Soontir, who ended up getting behind the lamda and bumping it several turns in a row :( It was a good game, but I should have ensured Ryad got back there.

That Palpatine/Wampa combo was nasty.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I played Ventris' Shadowcaster with IG-2000 pretty sub-optimally yesterday but still enjoyed it. I made a list that involves using stress to cause damage with the Shadowcaster, Misthunter, and N'Dru's Headhunter next time. I may take the slicer tools off Ventris and add them to N'dru (or a different headhunter) to better make use of her action economy. If I keep the Gyro Turret mod I can change where my mobile firing arc is pointed to telegraph where I'm moving next turn, but actually move differently and use her action to switch the firing arc elsewhere anyway. That may work once or twice in a game to fake them out, but that's it.

Edit:
    Lancer-class Pursuit Craft: · Asajj Ventress (37)
    Push The Limit (3)
    Gyroscopic targeting (2)
    K4 Security Droid (3)
    · Shadow Caster (3)
    G-1A Starfighter: · 4-LOM (27)
    Wired (1)
    · Bossk (2)
    · Mist Hunter (0)
    Black Market Slicer Tools (1)
    Tractor Beam (1)
    Z-95 Headhunter: · N'dru Suhlak (17)
    · Lone Wolf (2)
    Black Market Slicer Tools (1)
    -- TOTAL 100p. --

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    XeadinMCXeadinMC Reasonable Equestrian Lake Forest Park, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Well, I had the fortunate (and rare) opportunity to ion Manaroo off of the board on turn 3 after the opponent placed her in an unfortunate location.

TIE/D Maarek Stele stole the spotlight with Ion Cannon, shooting Manaroo twice-- once on turn 2 after Manaroo did a S-loop maneuver (which did nothing, since large ships don't care about 1 ion token), and again on turn 3 when the second ion shot phased through an obstacle. Both shots were at range 3. My opponent immediately conceded, because losing Dengar's 'linchpin' cripples the Dengaroo synergy. Probably about a 10-15 minute match.

Earlier, I had to face the Chirpie/Ren buzzsaws with Asajj and Kath and got cremated.
    (Chirpie = Chiraneau)

After the match, my opponent noted that I could've BoShek'd Chiraneau off of the board, but I didn't realize that until after the game was basically over.

Hotshot Co-Pilot is a NASTY card!

Defender Squadron [99]
    [TIE Defender] Maarek Stele
    - Calculation
    - Ion Cannon
    - TIE/D
    - Advanced Homing Missiles
    - Guidance Chips

[TIE Defender] Colonel Vessery
    - Veteran Instincts
    - Tractor Beam
    - TIE/D
    - Hull Upgrade

[TIE Fighter] Black Squadron Pilot
    - Crack Shot
    - Targeting Computer

Venture Spacers [99]
    [Shadow Caster] Asajj Ventress
    - * Shadow Caster
    - Gyroscopic Targeting
    - Push the Limit
    - * BoShek
    - Rigged Cargo Chute
    - Black Market Slicer Tools

[Firespray-31] Kath Scarlet
    - * Slave I
    - Guidance Chips
    - * A Score to Settle
    - Flechette Torpedoes
    - 'Mangler' Cannon
    - Thermal Detonators
    - Tail Gunner
    - Black Market Slicer Tools

XeadinMC on
    YIVQ28P.png
  • Options
    I started on the Imperial boxes. I bought a little paper cutter and holy shit where has this thing been all my life? It can't do the curves on the flaps but everything it does really well. It is a bit slower I think than scissors but my scissors were really hurting my hand so I will take whatever I can to reduce the amount I have to cut.

Also I can get a little scorer blade. I need to try that on the folds.

• Options
    I started on the Imperial boxes. I bought a little paper cutter and holy shit where has this thing been all my life? It can't do the curves on the flaps but everything it does really well. It is a bit slower I think than scissors but my scissors were really hurting my hand so I will take whatever I can to reduce the amount I have to cut.

What model did you get? I did have to get a more comfortable pair of scissors - left handed! - to make it through my efforts, and I used an X-acto knife for the flaps.

The straight cutter I got has a scoring blade, so my workflow was: split paper in half if I doubled up, score all lines, trim outer edges with straight cutter, use scissors to cut remaining bits, use X-acto to trim flap curves, use circle punch to get thumb indent, fold all score lines, glue sidewall edge, close lid to help keep form while glue sets, glue bottom, use some spare wood to flat press flaps on the bottom of the box.

... Just.. um.. typing that out is making my hands hurt.

C-roc!

• Options

What model did you get? I did have to get a more comfortable pair of scissors - left handed! - to make it through my efforts, and I used an X-acto knife for the flaps.

The straight cutter I got has a scoring blade, so my workflow was: split paper in half if I doubled up, score all lines, trim outer edges with straight cutter, use scissors to cut remaining bits, use X-acto to trim flap curves, use circle punch to get thumb indent, fold all score lines, glue sidewall edge, close lid to help keep form while glue sets, glue bottom, use some spare wood to flat press flaps on the bottom of the box.

... Just.. um.. typing that out is making my hands hurt.

C-roc!

It was a fisker one. Was $16?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Amazon is having a lightning deal for the A-Wing at 8:44pm Eastern Time. The interceptor went for 9.00 (10.05 after tax) so i'm expecting the same.

EDIT: Also please don't buy any until I get mine thank you very much

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Where are these lightning deals advertised?

EDIT: go go go it's over

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Ugh. Do I need a 3rd A-wing .. well, 4th with Rebel Aces?

Athenor on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Where are these lightning deals advertised?

EDIT: go go go

Thanks for the link. Missed the Interceptor which made me sad.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ugh. Do I need a 3rd A-wing .. well, 4th with Rebel Aces?

Yes.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    On that note, is $21.66 a good deal for a Rebel Aces set?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List