As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan. I'm busy the first week of May, but after that should be free to start getting games in. I'm assuming given the time-frame it's not going to be 1 list for the whole period.

I don't think Sok would do that to us ;-)

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Hey I'd love to join in, as well.

Also, if anyone wants to play their games with me in TTS instead of vassal, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I'm going to need a simple download this, go here, and install that guide to getting vassal running from scratch. I understand half of what you guys are talking about.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited April 2017
    Make sure you have java installed.
    Go here: http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php and download the installer for the appropriate platform.
    Then go here: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game and download the latest version of the game (currently 6.5.3) .vmod file. You may also want to download the Map Pack, but that's unimportant.
    I put my .vmod in a modules folder in the vassal installation folder.
    Then, run vassal and go to file>open module and find the X-wing Module you just downloaded.

If you have to update the module, just remove the old version from vassal and download the new one from the module page.

That's pretty much it. I did this all from memory, so I apologize if I messed up somewhere.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot I had the 2P of this thread. Here's a link to the instructions: http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/

crimsoncoyote on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    @ArcSyn

Nothing works like practice - if you want to hop on and try out some practice rounds, let me know!

EDIT:

The only change I'd make to CC's advice above is that you should get the map pack. They're cool - installing them is a little bit harder, in that you want to create a new folder in the Modules folder with a very specific name.

Like, if you downloaded Star_Wars_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game-6.5.3.vmod, you want to create a folder called Star_Wars_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game-6.5.3_ext (same name, -".vmod", +"_ext") and drop it in there. And that's it!

Elvenshae on
    I think the vassal UI allows you to add extensions by right-clicking the module name

I think the vassal UI allows you to add extensions by right-clicking the module name

Did not know that! Cool.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So what kind of time commitment am I looking at if I go in on this league?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to provide enough structure and incentive to keep people motivated to play when they can.

More games finished means you have more tickets in the end-of-season raffle and a better shot at the swag!

If everybody who wants to be involved plays at least one game between now and October, I'll be satisfied.
    If those fortunate few of us who have more time available to play are able to get in games more frequently, even better.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I like the sound of a low commitment league .

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited April 2017
    That's it?

Okay I'm in. I think I've sort of figured Vassal out.

I assume we're sticking to "only things you actually have"? (I mean, it's honor system, but)

Also, I have the urge to do evil things with Agressors and ion turrets. Plus Rhymer snap tac. And... I dunno, Tractor Vessery?

I may have had a really bad experience with a scum player just loading down on evil bullshit a few weeks back... and that seems the closest I can get to imperials pulling it off. I dunno how to fit Carnor Jax in there though to get the "fuck your tokens" effect of Palob.

Also... uh... is there a game rule I'm not remembering that stops you from sticking double autothrusters on an interceptor? Probably a waste of points, but it seems like it should work?

Polaritie on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    That's it?

Okay I'm in. I think I've sort of figured Vassal out.

I assume we're sticking to "only things you actually have"? (I mean, it's honor system, but)

Why would we do that? :P

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Also... uh... is there a game rule I'm not remembering that stops you from sticking double autothrusters on an interceptor? Probably a waste of points, but it seems like it should work?

The card says "you may equip up to 2 different modifications"

DarkPrimus wrote: »

The card says "you may equip up to 2 different modifications"

Ah, that's what I was missing.

edited April 2017
    To clarify on the matter of squadron building:

Players may fly different squadrons throughout the league.

I've thrown enough money at FFG over the years that I feel no particular compulsion to just fly what I own.
    I usually like to own the things that I think are cool anyway.
    To each their own.

I do usually try to fly lists that are at least sorta-kinda appropriately matched against whatever my opponent might seem to enjoy.
    For instance, if I see someone here posting a few match reports with top-tier high-meta murdersquadrons, I'll bring the big guns. It's not a gentlemanly duel without parity of arms! :-D
    Most of the time I prefer to fly weird lists which might not work very well, or might get steamrolled by a bad decision/bad matchup.

Sokpuppet on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I haven't bought anything since Wave 5 or 6, so hopefully the SS will be so old school that all you metahunters won't know how to deal with the classics. Although I should check my LFGS to see what new things they have. I'm still eyeballing Ghost just to have it.

To be fair, I have most of the imperial cards now (only gaps are TIE, TIE interceptor, and Raider packs)...

I finally broke down and picked up a star viper, and I'll probably grab some Scyks when I find a good sale (because I can't help it I like the little things).

I haven't bought anything since Wave 5 or 6, so hopefully the SS will be so old school that all you metahunters won't know how to deal with the classics. Although I should check my LFGS to see what new things they have. I'm still eyeballing Ghost just to have it.

I flew a Han+Luke list at league last week that rocked a Rey+Norra list. Stuff like that can definitely work. TIE swarms are still quite good!

I flew a Han+Luke list at league last week that rocked a Rey+Norra list. Stuff like that can definitely work. TIE swarms are still quite good!

This makes me happy.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I bought the Ghost during amazon's crazy xmas days just to have it
    I have shot it down quite a few times playing my brother to the point he wants a heavy cargo shuttle just to see how I like it when it goes up like I have taken out the ghost
    A punisher, a phantom, A suicidal tie, and a several bombers have all taken it out

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The Ghost isn't really built to survive so much as it is built to survive longer than its enemies.

Most current Ghost lists pair it up with Biggs to keep it alive longer.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    We played a game of X-Wing Mario Kart tonight. My feet are sore from all the standing but my Space Miata came in second place!

And you know what came in first?

The TIE Punisher.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    That's a story I want to hear, that's impressive.

I always figured the TIE Phantom would be a strong choice for that type of play myself (for the decloak movement).

I'm curious on the gameplay rules for this. Sounds funny. Could you still shoot each other to slow them down?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So our rules were as such:
    • The field is set up with barriers. If your base or template collides with a barrier it's like bumping against a ship without clearing it completely: stop where you are and lose your action. You are allowed a 1-speed maneuver or 0-speed alignment with the wall to prevent unfun turn-after-turn pinballing.
    • Everyone picks one small-base ship for its Dial, base stats and appearance. Everyone gets identical Pilot Skill with no special abilities and a single Modification.
    • Everyone rolls a D20 for their place in the starting lineup. Turns are taken in order of position with 1st going first, 2nd going second and so on.
    • If you pass over an Item Box (represented by those white overturned dial halves), immediately roll a D20 and check the Item Table to see what item you get (first and last places get modifiers to their rolls). Items are Mario Kart-themed with in-game effects (e.g. Lightning gives everyone else an Ion Token, Red Shell is a single guaranteed hit). Items can be spent as an Action (immediately if able). If you drive over another pickup, you must choose whether to keep your current item or dump it and roll for a new one.
    • When a ship is reduced to 0 Hull it respawns next Movement Phase at the last Checkpoint line it crossed fully.
    • While they were already packed up at the time of my photo, there were also turrets placed at certain points. Turrets have a set attack value and roll against every racer in their arc with a Range-1 bonus if applicable.

We had a lot of players, had a late start and BS'd a lot so we didn't even finish a whole lap before declaring Checkered Flag at the third checkpoint. We also allowed Primary Attacks rather than limiting them to items only which resulted in lots of time spent shooting at each other and getting sent back.

As for the TIE Punisher? I chalk it up to its Boost making it a very smooth operating ship and its durability making it a less attractive target compared to the TIE Interceptors or my "Space Miata" A-Wing. It got shot down once after crossing the second checkpoint and again the turn immediately after, meaning it had less severe setbacks compared to those who got sent back farther. I totally called it winning the night less than an hour in.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited April 2017
    Oh yeah, that makes sense under those rules then.

Phantom is probably a bad idea in that case, though it has the highest straight line speed potential...

Edit: If I could use the normal pilot skills, I'd still run Echo for crazy ass movement.

I think I'd fly a Defender in those rules. Amazing stat line, and the white 4K>roll lets it take corners like nothing else.

Polaritie on
    That's pretty neat. Definitely favors the high hull ships though. Perhaps a penalty to speed for being hit at all would balance out high defense vs high hull.
    Definitely want to play that now. Though honestly I'll play just about anything x-wing right now.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    That's pretty neat. Definitely favors the high hull ships though. Perhaps a penalty to speed for being hit at all would balance out high defense vs high hull.

It's a TIE Punisher. Its only maneuver at higher than 3 speed is a K-Turn. It also fell to focused fire immediately after its first respawn. Honestly, we were just too busy shooting everyone else that couldn't survive 8 damage to pay it much mind.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Man I have not been playing well at all the last month and a half or so.
    Finished the last week of this month's league last night in under 30 minutes!
    I lost 100-19.

I need to come up with some kind of list for next week that makes me feel less bad about myself lol.
    Any recommendations for some I've-had-a-bad-run-for-a-bit-rebound lists?

Man I have not been playing well at all the last month and a half or so.
    Finished the last week of this month's league last night in under 30 minutes!
    I lost 100-19.

I need to come up with some kind of list for next week that makes me feel less bad about myself lol.
    Any recommendations for some I've-had-a-bad-run-for-a-bit-rebound lists?

Cartel spacer x5
    Inaldra
    Sunny Bounder

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Well, since I'm far enough out from most people I can play with, an online league might just be what I need to reengage with X-Wing! Especially since Scum options have vastly expanded.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Alright folks.
    Initial pairings are out!

I've given everyone a random person to play against.
    This means that we all have someone looking to challenge us, and someone who we are looking to challenge.

These are totally optional matches, but they ought to keep us busy for a while.
    If you did not receive a PM with a target and you would like one, let me know.
    Feel free to make your own matches, or to beg off if timezones don't agree or whatever.

PM me any and all results and I'll start tallying up raffle tickets!

ANy chance we could get a google sheet going with Timezones/Locations + availability?

I have downloaded and installed VASSAL, and it's importing map images at the moment. Does it do that every time I load the module?

Granted, uploading 2GB of data to backup to Amazon's servers at the same time isn't helping my poor laptop, but it's a bit slow going right now.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I have downloaded and installed VASSAL, and it's importing map images at the moment. Does it do that every time I load the module?

Granted, uploading 2GB of data to backup to Amazon's servers at the same time isn't helping my poor laptop, but it's a bit slow going right now.

Just the first time you set it up. Afterwards, it loads in about 3s. :)

FYI there was an update to X-Wing module for vassal today.

https://teamcovenant.com/star-wars-x-wing/x-wing-module-7-0-1-available

Oh come on! I just installed the old one.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Also, everyone is required to add the most important card to your modules
    5dja5t7k7lrc.jpg

Well, installing the new module, so... whee.

Takes too damn long.

edited May 2017
    In case anyone needs more plastic crack, or to get started, there's a May 4th sale:
    http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/3593

crimsoncoyote on