Do USB hubs cause slowdown?

IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
My cat has decided its great fun to jam himself behind my computer and jiggle my power cord when I'm doing important things like attend monthly meetings for work. Instead of spraying him every minute, i've rearranged my underdesk to foil his movements.

Trouble is its also foiled my movements. My wireless receiver for my keyboard and mouse are now cutting out because the are jammed in a corner facing the wall, and its an absolute pain in the ass to switch anything.

All the info Im finding about usb hubs are for dj's, but will my mouse/keyboard/external drive see any ill effect for going through one port?

• MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    Technically yes, since they share throughput and potentially power, make sure your hub is rated the same as your port (2.1, 3.0, etc). The mouse and keyboard will be fine.

The external drive might get slower depending on the hub. I would probably just get a longer USB cable for that if you can.

hobbessig.png
    Shadowfire
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, seconded there. The keyboard and mouse should be just fine, but if at all possible, I'd keep the hard drive going directly to the computer.

Alternatively, what do you store on the hard drive? Most decent routers sold in the last 3-4 years will have a USB port to plug hard drives into so you can share music/movies/whatever across the network.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The drive isn't plugged in 100% of the time, it's a media drive that if mostly used to transfer larger photoshop files between the computers. Big PSDs are sort of obnoxious to transfer over our shitty internet, So we opt to do it that way. We also do that enough that it's helpful for the port to be easily accessible.

I saw some powered usb hubs, which I can spare the outlet for, so that should help mitigate any power sharing issues. I was more worried that the hub might actually hinder mouse and keyboard input, as most of the time I see them just being used for things like flash drives.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    mouse and keyboard are such low bandwidth that it wouldn't hinder much. At worst it might be a millisecond or so delay.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me