As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony Boss says DoAX3 not coming west due to cultural differences?

StackStack Registered User regular
http://nichegamer.com/2015/12/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-not-coming-west-due-to-cultural-differences-says-sony-boss/

I really wonder what has changed so significantly in western culture since the last two games, could it be that Japanese devs are overreacting to the gaming press and its hard-on for calling such risque games all sorts of nasty made-up words such as "misogynistic" and "objectifying"? https://imgur.com/V0FOI4t

I personally don't care and would probably buy this game on sale for a laugh, I also don't know ANY gamers who would feel that this type of game is somehow inappropriate in western culture. But I guess it's a good thing the gaming press is looking out for us! I mean, we all hate Japanese culture and the games they have given us over the years! Right? Right.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that it was a business decision, based on the fact that the previous games didn't sell particularly well.

Also if you thing objectification and misogyny are made up you should probably just stop this right here because it's going to get real bad.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's an excuse for the fact that the game doesn't sell very well here anyway.

Who the hell cared about it coming out before it was announced that it was "too hot for USA"?

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    A bad game isn't coming out in the west.

Good. Ok.

No I don't.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Stack wrote: »
    all sorts of nasty made-up words such as "misogynistic" and "objectifying"?

are you for real right now

is this real life

or am i badly misreading sarcasm

• Options
    KT has two other series that sell far less(one rpg one strategy), and require far more translation. I reject the "it won't earn money!" assertion, especially given what the facebook CM said and what Yosp says in this article.

Anybody care to address my comment? What has changed in our culture since DoAX 1 and 2 for him to say this?

Like seriously, "cultural differences"? I have not met one gamer who was offended by T and A in video games, yet we have more and more Japanese devs commenting on this problem.
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Also if you thing objectification and misogyny are made up you should probably just stop this right here because it's going to get real bad.
    Oh please bring it. When the vast majority of gamers actually care about these bullshit terms, I will bow out of the conversation and gaming forever. Only the press and tumblrinas talk about this crap, most gamers do not give two shits and everybody knows it.

• Options

Good. Ok.

Oh hey look, a psychic. Tell us more.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I've got the Asian English-language release pre-ordered; I'm hoping it will be more like the first game (which my wife and I both enjoyed) and less like the second, which was... OK? but seemed kind of dull by comparison, way too much emphasis on grinding currency.

The PS4 version is 60 bucks from play-asia so you're not even paying an import premium.

Games media in the US seems to be on a bit of a puritan kick right now and KT is probably best to avoid dropping red meat in front of it. It will pass when they find a new target to be offended by.

• Options

Good. Ok.

Oh hey look, a psychic. Tell us more.

I think I sufficiently covered what's going on here in my original post.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Games media in the US seems to be on a bit of a puritan kick right now and KT is probably best to avoid dropping red meat in front of it. It will pass when they find a new target to be offended by.

Yeah, it's hard to blame them. They don't have the clout like Rockstar does, so the only choice they have is to bend over and take the losses, I feel bad for them.

It just seems like this problem is snowballing, I don't think it will pass until gamers start to notice they only get games like Sunset and Gone Home(and CoD).

• Options
    edited December 2015

Nope, you weren't clear. Are you saying the game is bad because you have a moral objection to its theme?

Or are you just assuming it will be bad just because?

Stack on
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Yeah those darn SJWs, censoring our innocent titty games with their massive amounts of political power and industry influence. Won't anyone think of the poor, powerless straight white males?

• Options
    Deans wrote: »
    Yeah those darn SJWs, censoring our innocent titty games with their massive amounts of political power and industry influence. Won't anyone think of the poor, powerless straight white males?

Gamers aren't all straight white males, kiddo. And I don't see what the content of the game has to do with anything, unless you're a pro-censorship puritan, of course.

• Options

Nope, you weren't clear. Are you saying the game is bad because you have a moral objection to its theme?

Or are you just assuming it will be bad just because?

There are other options than the two you presented.

The other games in the series have always sold poorly. The last game was bad.

So I think it's fairly safe to assume this game will also be bad. Because these games have never been good.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Deans wrote: »

Gamers aren't all straight white males, kiddo. And I don't see what the content of the game has to do with anything, unless you're a pro-censorship puritan, of course.

Who was censored? By whom?

No I don't.
  • Options
    With a slew of bad press that had very little to do with the quality of the game and everything to do with moral outrage, with accusations of misogyny thrown in for good measure.

https://imgur.com/V0FOI4t

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If there's a bad thread, you can just report or ignore it. Witty comments are not required, and just push it up the thread lost.

This discussion has been closed.