Options

Democratic Primary Debate #3: I'm Dreaming of a White Debate

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Okay Clinton, you are winning me over with this response to Sander's critique of her love of regime change.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    this fucking moderator

"would you shoot down a russian or syrian aircraft?"

seriously?

on the issue of a no-fly zone that's not an unreasonable question, especially after Turkey has shot down a Russian jet. and i think Clinton has responded well too. she's made the point that she's not courting war with the no-fly zone but is hoping for and expecting co-operation from Russia and Syria meaning that it wont be necessary to shoot down planes.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    wow, hillary hitting sanders back on his voting record, and calling out how this needs to be a multi-nation process.

• Options
    Really Clinton is looking like the adult in the room by pointing out that its a multi-faceted issue with multiple actions needing to happen at once is really slamming down these simplistic, declarative questions (though they are leading to interesting discussions).

• Options
    OH MY GOD ABC IS LETTING ME WATCH THE STREAM ON THEIR WEBSITE!

ABC WINS EVERYTHING!

you might change you're mind on that, the stream seems to be pretty crappy.

• Options
    goddammit. ISIS isn't attacking the US in any meaningful manner.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    O'Malley's least appealing habit is calling his opponents old.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Sanders has terrible body language and O'Malley sounds like he's mansplaining.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Hillary is right that Israel really wants Iran to be disempowered regionally, but wrong about whether this is in our interests (where were are, in fact, not the same country as Israel). I concur with Sanders about Assad v ISIS, and it's magical makebelieve that there are any moderate rebels that we could support as a third pillar.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

ABC WINS EVERYTHING!

Do not take this away from me.

Also, oh my god O'Malley. A different generation? Really?

• Options
    Sanders has terrible body language and O'Malley sounds like he's mansplaining.

this made my wife laugh out loud.

kudos.

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    O'Malley: "My opponents are old!"

• Options
    Also Bernie, how is destroying ISIS not getting rid of a regime, considering they are the governing body whenever they role into an area. Destroying ISIS is changing regimes and we need to think about how to do that. Clinton is really showing her Sec of State chops here.

O'Malley's answer is interesting, but I need to chew on it more before I comment on it. Though he feels like he is swinging wildly.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    this fucking moderator

seriously?

on the issue of a no-fly zone that's not an unreasonable question, especially after Turkey has shot down a Russian jet. and i think Clinton has responded well too. she's made the point that she's not courting war with the no-fly zone but is hoping for and expecting co-operation from Russia and Syria meaning that it wont be necessary to shoot down planes.

"a no-fly zone that russia agrees to" is an extreme caveat that i'm not sure she's offered up before

it's a much more sane proposal

• Options
    I've never seen Hillary quite so self-confident as on this stage.

• Options
    Clinton's time as Secretary of State is paying off big here as it is abundantly clear that she has not just an understanding of the Middle East and its politics, but a clear idea of how to deal with the issues affecting it. this is where all the anti-establishment rhetoric stumbles, if not falls apart completely. experience is invaluable.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    This debate is alright but the stream sure is shit.

• Options
    Yes the U.S. is not the police of the world, but we should deal with the mess we helped create (a la ISIS and a destabilized Middle East).

• Options
    Oh hey, actually important shit and not your fear mongering bullshit.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Hillary now in the weeds but her presentation is excellent. She just got applause from Democrats for pitching neoconservative foreign policy 101.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    this fucking moderator

seriously?

A no-fly zone has been touted as a solution by candidates from both party, and this is a topic on which GOP candidates have been hammered on in recent debates (with Christie going "HELL YEAH LET'S DESTROY RUSSIAN PLANES!"). If someone favors a no-fly zone, I think it's fair to ask how far they'd be willing to go to enforce it.

EDIT: And I have to say, Hillary's response of enforcing a no-fly zone in coordination with Russia is the best answer I've heard on the topic, which so far has been limited to GOP candidates wanting to declare WW3 over it.

notdroid on
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    Hillary and Bernie patting each other on the back like athletes is adorable

Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options

ABC WINS EVERYTHING!

Do not take this away from me.

Also, oh my god O'Malley. A different generation? Really?

i'm really hoping that it works for you. i know its a big thing for you to be able to watch these deabtes with minimal hassle and i'd hate to see you miss out, but the stream has been far from perfect so far.

if its working fine for you, great and i really hope it stays that way.

• Options
    So I do feel that while in the other debates I was pretty split between the candidates, I feel like Clinton is really winning me over tonight. She is coming off strong, well-informed, and experienced in how to deal with international issues. She isn't fully demonizing any active government that we need help with to deal with ISIS and Assad, which comes off really smart. It is really endearing me to her.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

I cringe every time he does it, but other than that, honestly, I agree with a lot of the stuff coming out of his mouth. I could see voting for him in 8 years after he's gotten more experience and smoothed his rough edges.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I cringe every time he does it, but other than that, honestly, I agree with a lot of the stuff coming out of his mouth. I could see voting for him in 8 years after he's gotten more experience and smoothed his rough edges.

I will never not see Littlefinger/Carcetti when I see him which basically kills him for me.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    this fucking moderator

seriously?

"a no-fly zone that russia agrees to" is an extreme caveat that i'm not sure she's offered up before

i think it was considered to be a given in her plan, and she's finally realised that people didn't understand that this was the case. does that mean she wouldn't push for a no-fly zone without agreement from Russia? i'd be inclined to say no, i think its something that she will use to put pressure on Putin to try and force him into a more agreeable deal. a dangerous ploy perhaps, but one that i think will be an absolute last resort after prolonged negotiations.

all speculation on my part of course.

• Options

oh, please. share your wisdom with us, you world traveler you.

• Options
    notdroid wrote: »
    this fucking moderator

seriously?

A no-fly zone has been touted as a solution by candidates from both party, and this is a topic on which GOP candidates have been hammered on in recent debates (with Christie going "HELL YEAH LET'S DESTROY RUSSIAN PLANES!"). If someone favors a no-fly zone, I think it's fair to ask how far they'd be willing to go to enforce it.

EDIT: And I have to say, Hillary's response of enforcing a no-fly zone in coordination with Russia is the best answer I've heard on the topic, which so far has been limited to GOP candidates wanting to declare WW3 over it.

and on that we're in complete agreement on the issue. its been something that Hillary has spoken about before and it is a legitimate line of questioning. i also think her response was great and exactly the type of balanced approached a leader should take.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

oh, please. share your wisdom with us, you world traveler you.

I really dislike Snowden because regardless of the giant quagmire that is whether he was justified or not he really seems like he's trying to be a superstar rather than actually caring about anything

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Also I'm listening to the debate and it's stuttering, can somebody @ me with whether they asked Bernie about encryptuion? I am curious because a lot of his tech cred seems to come from the fact he's the only candidate to not talk about it

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    'Real unemployment' makes my eye twitch

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Wait did Sanders say women make $0.90 for every $1.00 a man makes? Is it that high now? I thought it was still like $0.70 or so.

• Options
    As much as I love Bernie's policy positions domestically... I'm still waiting for the answer to question "And that passes the Congress how exactly?"

• Options
    Also Maryland did well by having DC suburbs. That helps.

• Options
    ABC's shitty stream may have cost them some points, but I'm willing to give some back based on the pleasant surprise of hearing a question being asked on the minimum wage, instead of going the CNN "HEY GUYS LET'S HAVE A 2 HOUR DEBATE ABOUT HOW THE WORLD IS ENDING BECAUSE TERRORISM!" route.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    what..

why did they just start asking questions while still waiting for Hillary to come onstage?

What is the point of that?

And then have to stop the question while people cheered for her?

Why not just wait the extra two minutes?

Oh I'm sorry, I'm a lady and it takes longer to pee cause I have all this body shaping bullshit and skirts and BLARGH

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    this fucking moderator

seriously?

i think it was considered to be a given in her plan, and she's finally realised that people didn't understand that this was the case. does that mean she wouldn't push for a no-fly zone without agreement from Russia? i'd be inclined to say no, i think its something that she will use to put pressure on Putin to try and force him into a more agreeable deal. a dangerous ploy perhaps, but one that i think will be an absolute last resort after prolonged negotiations.

all speculation on my part of course.

Calling for a no-fly zone in an area where Russia is flying the vast majority of the sorties seems to imply that they would be the intended targets. I'm happy we're moving away from that, though, since it was crazypants.

• Options
    As much as I love Bernie's policy positions domestically... I'm still waiting for the answer to question "And that passes the Congress how exactly?"

it doesn't.

that's why he hasn't gotten there.

This discussion has been closed.