Options

Democratic Primary Debate #3: I'm Dreaming of a White Debate

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Wait did Sanders say women make $0.90 for every $1.00 a man makes? Is it that high now? I thought it was still like $0.70 or so.

He said $.79

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    As much as I love Bernie's policy positions domestically... I'm still waiting for the answer to question "And that passes the Congress how exactly?"

To be fair, everyone on the stage has something of that problem

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    So I do feel that while in the other debates I was pretty split between the candidates, I feel like Clinton is really winning me over tonight. She is coming off strong, well-informed, and experienced in how to deal with international issues. She isn't fully demonizing any active government that we need help with to deal with ISIS and Assad, which comes off really smart. It is really endearing me to her.

it might sound like political speech, but i think she's been really polished so far tonight. can't say 100% due to the crappy stream, but she's been strong right from the start. clear and on message, distinguishing herself not just from the men on stage but from the GOP candidates too. unless something goes wildly wrong i think the Clinton camp will be very happy with tonight's performance.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Wait did Sanders say women make $0.90 for every $1.00 a man makes? Is it that high now? I thought it was still like $0.70 or so.

90 cents is if you control for obvious factors, 70 cents is if you do it naively. Most of the ten cent gap is apparently on promotions/raises not initial salary or hirability.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Clinton with a local tie in that shows her political improvement. At least assuming it's valid.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    New Hampshire is retail politics.

Clinton mentions Market Basket.

Good job Hillary.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Ok I got sucked back in

Gosh you guys let a girl pee! Sheesh

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    clinton calling out pubbies on income inequality

also great line on how everybody should love her.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Clinton with a local tie in that shows her political improvement. At least assuming it's valid.

Market Basket is a relatively well knownow thing.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    "Should Wall Street love Hillary Clinton This time around? "

"Everybody should"

BOOM.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

He said $.79

Oh okay, that matches more of what I saw.
    milski wrote: »

90 cents is if you control for obvious factors, 70 cents is if you do it naively. Most of the ten cent gap is apparently on promotions/raises not initial salary or hirability.

Wait what? Does anyone have a source for this? I would just like to see what the research is.

Also Clinton's answer to the should businesses love her: "Everyone should."

• Options
    Sanders goes with "no"

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    As an employee of a large multinational corporation I'm not afraid of either Hillary or Bernie fucking shit up.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Their two answers to that are perfect representations of their campaigns.

• Options

it varies dependant on a variety of factors. at the least its ~$0.95 for (i believe)middle/high income white women, and drops down to around $0.70 for low income black women. there's really no one answer on it and its an issue where intersectionality really plays a major role when addressing it.

• Options
    I have heard this argument before, and I still like both sides of it.

• Options
    And I'm out now, company is here for christmas party.

I trust you all to keep it going!

• Options
    He just said corporations are destroying the lives of millions of Americans. Hyperbole maybe?

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    And O'Malley goes with a slimy bullshit answer.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Clinton: I will take support where ever I can get it, since my agenda is clear and I want to advance it

Sanders: I will fight with the finance sector, because I think it's the right thing to do and it will help workers

Omalley: I don't understand the economy

So It Goes on
  • Options
    i think that unless something crazy happens that "everybody should" will end up the defining moment of this debate...

• Options
    O'Malley has zero charisma. He just said a couple of voice of reason things and no one cares.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    He just said corporations are destroying the lives of millions of Americans. Hyperbole maybe?

depends on the corporations i guess. you could argue that banks still are yeah. insurance companies still too. any corporation that puts profits over people could be accused of it and i'm sure a lot of them would be found guilty of you looked closely enough.

• Options

Nah. Pretty accurate. '08 crash is obvious, but also climate change, Don Blankenship by himself, etc.

• Options
    Jesus christ she has so much specific information in her head

• Options
    edited December 2015
    woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

clinton calling out omalley as governor and his wall street connections after he tries to hit her on hers.

edit

and gets a huge applause

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Clinton is breaking OMalley

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

clinton calling out omalley as governor and his wall street connections after he tries to hit her on hers.

She seems ready for literally everything

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    I just have to say, unlike Tuesday's GOP debate, it feels nice to watch a political debate and not having the sudden urge to kill my own brain cells through drinking.

• Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    You're evoking me, I'm evoking him, its a giant evoking up here!

Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    the stream i was watching on youtube, stopped streaming!!! thankfully youtube queued up another stream of the debate to replace it. missed a few seconds i think, but thanx youtube. :)

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Bernie does seize any moment he can to insert his main stump speech points, good job by him

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

it varies dependant on a variety of factors. at the least its ~$0.95 for (i believe)middle/high income white women, and drops down to around $0.70 for low income black women. there's really no one answer on it and its an issue where intersectionality really plays a major role when addressing it.

I did a bit of research and while this is a partison(-ish) group, it has a lot of credible sources:

http://www.nationalpartnership.org/research-library/workplace-fairness/fair-pay/americas-women-and-the-wage-gap.pdf

Also Politifact on the issue:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/jan/29/barack-obama/barack-obama-state-union-says-women-make-77-cents-/

So generally the average is around $0.74 or so, worse for African American women, and better for some industries than others.

On the debate:

"I have been EVOKED!"

It was like Sanders was a BeetleJuice or a Djinn.

Wall Street Wall Street Wall Street

*Bernie Sanders materializes*

Though his answer was interesting.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

depends on the corporations i guess. you could argue that banks still are yeah. insurance companies still too. any corporation that puts profits over people could be accused of it and i'm sure a lot of them would be found guilty of you looked closely enough.

Lot's of bad actors there but the banks are number one except they knew that they had a free pass which means the fed and politicians are implicated as well. I just don't like the broad brush approach. No one is going to do anything about corporations and that's probably a good thing. Banks on the other hand need some combination of regulation and discipline--no more bailouts. Instead of bailing out banks, bail out Americans.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    This question has a false premise. Needs to be compared to health care cost inflation projections based on a universe without ACA.

• Options
    Invoked, guys :p

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Invoked, guys :p

What are you, some kind of grammar nazi!? :P

• Options
    Omg the facts just keep flowing. Great point about govs refusing Medicaid expansion causing cost increases

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hillary is doing amazingly well tonight, and I'm saying that within the full context of how well she's done at other debates, which is saying something

• Options

Nah. Pretty accurate. '08 crash is obvious, but also climate change, Don Blankenship by himself, etc.

I'll give you Blankenship. My employer, a very large corporation, is obsessed about climate change (at least internally). Admittedly, probably because someone high up owns an island or two.

― Marcus Aurelius

This discussion has been closed.