Options

Democratic Primary Debate #3: I'm Dreaming of a White Debate

13468911

Posts

  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Invoked, guys :p

    What are you, some kind of grammar nazi!? :P

    Evocative response sir!

  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I have to give Sanders his props: he can tie his questions back into his main theme, no matter what it is.

    To clarify: that is not a knock against him.

  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    Wait did Sanders say women make $0.90 for every $1.00 a man makes? Is it that high now? I thought it was still like $0.70 or so.

    it varies dependant on a variety of factors. at the least its ~$0.95 for (i believe)middle/high income white women, and drops down to around $0.70 for low income black women. there's really no one answer on it and its an issue where intersectionality really plays a major role when addressing it.

    I did a bit of research and while this is a partison(-ish) group, it has a lot of credible sources:

    http://www.nationalpartnership.org/research-library/workplace-fairness/fair-pay/americas-women-and-the-wage-gap.pdf

    Also Politifact on the issue:

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/jan/29/barack-obama/barack-obama-state-union-says-women-make-77-cents-/

    So generally the average is around $0.74 or so, worse for African American women, and better for some industries than others.

    On the debate:

    "I have been EVOKED!"

    It was like Sanders was a BeetleJuice or a Djinn.

    Wall Street Wall Street Wall Street

    *Bernie Sanders materializes*

    Though his answer was interesting.

    i'll admit the wage gap isn't an area of expertise for me, and i'm trying to remember the little that i've read on the issue over the past year(none of it within the last couple of months). so if i'm wrong on figures i'll accept that, but i do that the gap varies based on demographics, both class based and racial. but i think we can all agree that its something that needs to get more attention, especially in 2015.

  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    how bernie?

    answer the question.

    because my employer pays 16K a year for my health insurance, and i know that i won't get that in my paycheck if we go single payer.

  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Amateur hour on audio engineering tonight

    As somebody whose second job is to handle that, it is incredibly frustrating

    joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Invoked, guys :p

    What are you, some kind of grammar nazi!? :P

    Evocative response sir!

    Oh Goddammit I laughed for like a minute and completely missed Neil Levesque's (HHH's brother!?) question.

  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Bernie hits at the myth of sports causing massive tuition hikes, then hits the actual issue: administrative bloat.

    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    There isn't a good answer to how you pay for free college

    The answer is you DO shift the burden to taxpayers

  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    This is where I lose these guys. Talk about things Presidents can do. Moral signalling to the base is so boring.

    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

    Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Bernie hits at the myth of sports causing massive tuition hikes, then hits the actual issue: administrative bloat.

    How do you micromanage public college admin structure though?

    I'm curious for real

  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Did I hear somebody snickering into a mic when O'Malley said this is something he's done?

  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    Wait did Sanders say women make $0.90 for every $1.00 a man makes? Is it that high now? I thought it was still like $0.70 or so.

    it varies dependant on a variety of factors. at the least its ~$0.95 for (i believe)middle/high income white women, and drops down to around $0.70 for low income black women. there's really no one answer on it and its an issue where intersectionality really plays a major role when addressing it.

    I did a bit of research and while this is a partison(-ish) group, it has a lot of credible sources:

    http://www.nationalpartnership.org/research-library/workplace-fairness/fair-pay/americas-women-and-the-wage-gap.pdf

    Also Politifact on the issue:

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/jan/29/barack-obama/barack-obama-state-union-says-women-make-77-cents-/

    So generally the average is around $0.74 or so, worse for African American women, and better for some industries than others.

    On the debate:

    "I have been EVOKED!"

    It was like Sanders was a BeetleJuice or a Djinn.

    Wall Street Wall Street Wall Street

    *Bernie Sanders materializes*

    Though his answer was interesting.

    i'll admit the wage gap isn't an area of expertise for me, and i'm trying to remember the little that i've read on the issue over the past year(none of it within the last couple of months). so if i'm wrong on figures i'll accept that, but i do that the gap varies based on demographics, both class based and racial. but i think we can all agree that its something that needs to get more attention, especially in 2015.

    Oh yeah definitely. I wasn't attacking anyone, I was just curious because I had had a bunch of different numbers quoted at me and it piqued my interest enough to do the research myself, and share my results. I 100% agree that it needs more attention.

  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I find interest on student debt pretty low--which is why I still haven't paid it off. 3 percent on loan or 15 on credit card. HMMMM.

    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

    Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Bernie hits at the myth of sports causing massive tuition hikes, then hits the actual issue: administrative bloat.

    How do you micromanage public college admin structure though?

    I'm curious for real

    Yeah it's not really a legislative solution, it's more a cultural thing. Too much CEO fetishism, seems to me.

    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    O'Malley was so pleased with himself for that response.

  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    There isn't a good answer to how you pay for free college

    The answer is you DO shift the burden to taxpayers

    and that's OK!

    as long as you can show your math.

    still hasn't happened. and i have six figures of student loans - so i'm pretty vested in this.

  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    OMG O'Malley A tax on high volume trades. So dumb.

    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

    Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    OMalley sounds bad with a word for word planned repeat of last debate

    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Poor people were mentioned in a Presidential debate! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

    I mean briefly, for two words, but still!

    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hilldawg making me smile tonight. The detail in her answers just floors me.

  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Also not for nothing, Clinton including the name of her plan for college so you (I) can search it is really smart.

    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?

    goddammit.

  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    It's a bit rude to talk over the moderator but I think she's smart to keep doing it.

  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty impressed with Hillary. She has a certain stature that her opponents lack.

    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

    Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Taxes!

    "Now this is going to be fun!"

    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    A no new taxes pledge!

  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I think a difference between how Clinton and Sanders are approaching the question is Clinton is going off of a pragmatic view with some ironed out ideas, while Sanders is going off an ideal and will work out the results later. Neither approach is necessarily right, but i do find myself partial to Clinton's approach.

    Also no wage increase since the last Clinton regime was a great, pithy comment. Not sure if its true, but it sounded good.

  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    hahahaha

    "the end of the last clinton administration"

    amazing

  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    A no new taxes pledge!

    Read her lips

    THAT GUY is the socialist, not me!


    Hehehe

  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I'm pretty impressed with Hillary. She has a certain stature that her opponents lack.

    She has sensed blood. She thinks she can kill OMalley tonight and strip NH from Bernie. She is looking correct.

    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sanders has a smart counter-punch there. Invoking FDR and Medicare.

    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    and sanders going with a false narrative here

    edit

    to clarify - clinton supports the leave act. she doesn't support the payroll tax increase to fund it.

    i agree with her

    jmcdonald on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    A no new taxes pledge!

    A dammit I missed that somehow. I'm guessing that was Clinton?

    That's a bad statement to make.

    Also O'Malley is also hitting back to his theme of actual Executive experience, which is interesting. Clinton doesn't seem to have a theme like Sanders or O'Malley, except maybe pragmatism? I don't know if that helps or hurts her in this debate.

  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Biggest loser is Martha Raddatz who has been insufferable.

    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    Wait did Sanders say women make $0.90 for every $1.00 a man makes? Is it that high now? I thought it was still like $0.70 or so.

    it varies dependant on a variety of factors. at the least its ~$0.95 for (i believe)middle/high income white women, and drops down to around $0.70 for low income black women. there's really no one answer on it and its an issue where intersectionality really plays a major role when addressing it.

    I did a bit of research and while this is a partison(-ish) group, it has a lot of credible sources:

    http://www.nationalpartnership.org/research-library/workplace-fairness/fair-pay/americas-women-and-the-wage-gap.pdf

    Also Politifact on the issue:

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/jan/29/barack-obama/barack-obama-state-union-says-women-make-77-cents-/

    So generally the average is around $0.74 or so, worse for African American women, and better for some industries than others.

    On the debate:

    "I have been EVOKED!"

    It was like Sanders was a BeetleJuice or a Djinn.

    Wall Street Wall Street Wall Street

    *Bernie Sanders materializes*

    Though his answer was interesting.

    i'll admit the wage gap isn't an area of expertise for me, and i'm trying to remember the little that i've read on the issue over the past year(none of it within the last couple of months). so if i'm wrong on figures i'll accept that, but i do that the gap varies based on demographics, both class based and racial. but i think we can all agree that its something that needs to get more attention, especially in 2015.

    Oh yeah definitely. I wasn't attacking anyone, I was just curious because I had had a bunch of different numbers quoted at me and it piqued my interest enough to do the research myself, and share my results. I 100% agree that it needs more attention.

    oh, i know it wasn't an attack, but these figures do need to be brought out and big or small any gap is inexcusable. its an issue that the Dems should be hammering on and its a shame that is not currently a bigger issue. hopefully it'll get more attention in the general.

  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    A no new taxes pledge!

    A dammit I missed that somehow. I'm guessing that was Clinton?

    That's a bad statement to make.

    Also O'Malley is also hitting back to his theme of actual Executive experience, which is interesting. Clinton doesn't seem to have a theme like Sanders or O'Malley, except maybe pragmatism? I don't know if that helps or hurts her in this debate.

    Total mastery of detail.

    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    No new taxes on a (broad) middle class, not none. Right?

    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    Hillary is losing

  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    A no new taxes pledge!

    A dammit I missed that somehow. I'm guessing that was Clinton?

    That's a bad statement to make.

    Also O'Malley is also hitting back to his theme of actual Executive experience, which is interesting. Clinton doesn't seem to have a theme like Sanders or O'Malley, except maybe pragmatism? I don't know if that helps or hurts her in this debate.

    Total mastery of detail.

    Complete command of all relevant facts

    Ready to address all attacks from different angles

    Fashionably late

  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Hillary is losing

    ?

    I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.