Options

Look I can't bother people to be on Let's Place if we don't have a [Podcast Thread]

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Melding wrote: »
    what did gtav get put up against?

a bunch of garbage and also the greatest puzzle game of all time

that's not a useful answer. other than it got to picross 3d.

The real answer is that I don't remember all of them. The last ones it hit were...Picross 3D, Deadly Premonition, Star War: Revenge of the Sith (GBA) and Chess System Tal II, I think

wait, did gtav beat Revenge of the Sith GBA?

five is a bigger number than two

• Options
    so help me god I will do a solo podcast about me yelling about christmas music

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I actually think the list is pretty solid, and is more often than not pretty accurate

Though there is definitely some of what you might refer to as "noise" in the data, spots where jokes and biases have misplaced games

Uncharted, I of the dragon, and even Westfront probably shouldn't be as high as they are, and sonic shuffle probably shouldn't be as low as it is

And there's definitely a temptation to say "well then let's correct the noise!"

But that's actually falling into the fallacy that your opinions are somehow more objective than those who ranked a given game, which is the exact attitude that the show is mocking

For everyone who thinks it's stupid that a bunch of poorly playing obscur adventure games have outranked COD4, there's someone who hates first person shooters because they can't control them, someone who finds the RPG multiplayer mechanics COD4 invented obnoxious, someone who's uncomfortable with the way that game arguably glorifies war even as it pays lip service to the horrors it can involve

There's no way to actually differentiate the noise from the signal because that's inherently a subjective judgment. All you can do is step far enough back that the noise isn't obvious, at which point, like I said, I actually think this is a pretty solid ranked list of 115 video games

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    all complaints about the accuracy of let's place will vanish on the day when I am finally able to place

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    the more games that get added the more it will all shake out in a better manner, but that said i really want to try playing Wiz n' Liz

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    There's also a tendency to over-scrutinize the top of the list

No one cares about whether the 55th game should be the 75th, but they care a lot if they think the 5th game should be the 25th, even though there's no real difference there other than a perceived level of prestige associated with being near the top

Considering that this is fundamentally a stupid joke and its complete lack of merit as anything meaningful is the entire punchline I've actually thought about this a lot

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    the more games that get added the more it will all shake out in a better manner, but that said i really want to try playing Wiz n' Liz

wiz n liz is so good!

the folks on the episode it was ranked on never even caught the existence of the 2 player vs mode

• Options
    oh, I think GTA went up against Wiz n' Liz, too

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

No one cares about whether the 55th game should be the 75th, but they care a lot if they think the 5th game should be the 25th, even though there's no real difference there other than a perceived level of prestige associated with being near the top

Considering that this is fundamentally a stupid joke and its complete lack of merit as anything meaningful is the entire punchline I've actually thought about this a lot

I mean, yes, your arguments are sound.

But also I gave you three RFYL episodes to edit, because you said you wanted to help me.

You edited one over the course of a month.

I feel a little neglected here, and I am a petty person who holds a grudge.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    AND YOU COULDN'T EVEN PUT IT IN THE GOSH DANG OP

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I come to Lets Place for the fun conversation and the chance to push Luke one step closer to the edge of madness

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

I mean, yes, your arguments are sound.

But also I gave you three RFYL episodes to edit, because you said you wanted to help me.

You edited one over the course of a month.

I feel a little neglected here, and I am a petty person who holds a grudge.

Oh yeah let's not mince words that was shitty and I am sorry

Part of it came down to me wanting to do a LOT of work on the episodes. Cut out all the boring rules discussion, delete all the dead air, add incidental music to everything, and generally try to give it a real strong air of professionalism

And it turned out that that took a lot of time and I couldn't make time to do it, and then I got frustrated that I couldn't do it and felt like if I was going to publish the episodes at all I wanted to do it right, which really just turned into procrastination until you justifiably got sick of waiting on me

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i was putting as much effort into each pairing as the others.

Related, i'm stilling reading about Vitamin X, there is more to this series. And i'm scared.

• Options
    THROW SOME CHRISTMAS SONGS IN THIS SPREADSHEET I feel like doing something stupid tomorrow

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    all complaints about the accuracy of let's place will vanish on the day when I am finally able to place

every time i place and there's an open slot you're the first person i mention

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Also I just co'd the list from the old thread, I will add rfyl

• Options
    and I copied that list from the thread before

we really do need a comprehensive list for forumer podcasts

• Options
    THROW SOME CHRISTMAS SONGS IN THIS SPREADSHEET I feel like doing something stupid tomorrow

we've got some good ones on here people but we need some real stinkers or this whole enterprise is bankrupt

• Options
    I can't write on the spreadsheet on mobile

someone add "smash christmas" by neil cicierega

• Options

done

• Options

You have a sickness, TDOT

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    To break kayfabe for a moment

When I place if I actually care about the game or at least know about it I try to have somewhat reasonable arguments about it

But when I have no idea about anything about it or think it would be hilarious to focus on one insignifcant aspect of it (mostly to drive Luke nuts) I run with it

It's very fun

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    there are at least four versions of last christmas on this list, this is good

• Options
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

It's like, twenty now

Literally all those rows are on the same row as a Last Christmas cover

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

It's like, twenty now

yeah i added those

• Options
    this podcast is now about placing versions of last christmas

• Options

It's like, twenty now

yeah i added those

Approximately how many BNL songs were you responsible for?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

It's like, twenty now

yeah i added those

well I'm responsible for two

• Options
    I was gonna put Elfs Lament but someone already so now I'm done

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

It's like, twenty now

yeah i added those

zero

i can name um

2 BNL songs

wait, wait

• Options
    The BNL Christmas album is my favorite Christmas album

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I also can't edit on mobile but I have suggestions:

"Mary Did You Know?" by whatever jackoff sang this patronizing piece of trash after clearly not reading the Magnificat or else he would relalize that Mary knew better than anyone who her son was

"Adam Lay Ybounden" sung by the choir of King's College

"In the Bleak Mid-Winter" by whoever you want, this song is great

"God Rest You Merry Gentlemen" also by whoever you want

"What Child Is This" see above

"Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence" is not technically a Christmas song but it's close enough and is also one of my top three favorite hymns of all time

• Options

It's like, twenty now

yeah i added those

zero

i can name um

2 BNL songs

wait, wait

Wait

Did I just confuse BNL with They Might Be Giants

How in the world did I do that?

Hold on I need to lie down for a moment

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    i did however add Santa's Beard by They Might Be Giants and contemplated adding Feast of Lights but I didn't because it is a hannukkah song and not a christmas song

'sa good song though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_qcT_KeWmA

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The BNL Christmas album is my favorite Christmas album

it's PRETTY good

I don't know who put elf's lament on there but I added footprints, which might be my secret favorite BNL song

• Options

It's like, twenty now

yeah i added those

zero

i can name um

2 BNL songs

wait, wait

Wait

Did I just confuse BNL with They Might Be Giants

How in the world did I do that?

Hold on I need to lie down for a moment
    IT'S BEEN a really long time since I've seen a fuck up this bad

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence" is not technically a Christmas song but it's close enough and is also one of my top three favorite hymns of all time

That is

A pretty metal name for a hymn

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I also can't edit on mobile but I have suggestions:

"Mary Did You Know?" by whatever jackoff sang this patronizing piece of trash after clearly not reading the Magnificat or else he would relalize that Mary knew better than anyone who her son was

"Adam Lay Ybounden" sung by the choir of King's College

"In the Bleak Mid-Winter" by whoever you want, this song is great

"God Rest You Merry Gentlemen" also by whoever you want

"What Child Is This" see above

definitely added the BNL/Sarah McLachlan version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen already, will look at options for the others

This discussion has been closed.