As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red vs Blue: [Republican Primary] Make D&D Great Again Edition

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    shryke wrote: »
    So anyone who says "don't vote for that guy, I'm fairly sure he's gonna drop out tomorrow" before a commonly recognized winnowing event is commiting electoral fraud?

Yes, telling people the candidate they came to vote for is dropping out of the race is indeed a kind of electoral fraud. I'm sorry, how is this not simple and clear? What's not electoral fraud about it from a non-legal-definitino standpoint?

He nor his campaign never directly said that Carson was going to drop out. The mailer merely implied it to the overly credulous and the staff appear to have suggested it without actually saying it as fact.

Hell, this interpretation of fraud makes me a fraudster for saying "I bet we see everyone except Cruz and Trump and maybe Christie drop within a week of the Iowa Caucus results" on Twitter. People in Iowa could have read that and voted based on it. So does that mean I suppressed pretty much everyone who would have voted outside of those three?

This is the most tenuous and pedantic of excuses. "We never said it, we just heavily implied it" is not a meaningful distinction and you well know it. I don't know why you continue this silly argument with it's silly analogies.

Also a campaign is not a random person on twitter.

shryke on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Also, it's entirely possible that people who supported Carson were begrudgingly convinced to not "waste" their vote during the caucus. It's literally impossible to know how much or how little impact Cruz's sliminess impacted the primary.

Even if it barely had an impact, shit's still slimy!

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    It is a meaningful distinction in politics. I assumed that was the context.

You're right - any reasonable person would interpret that as playing dirty in a discussion between humans and not political geese. Fair point.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    First off, since it's a Caucus thrown by the Republican Party whatever went down--no matter how scummy, slimy, and unethical it is--is not Electoral Fraud. If any punishment happens from this, it'd be doled out by the Republican Party itself.

Second, the way a caucus works means you are trying to convince human beings in a physical room to throw their support behind a person. As far as I know there's no rules against lying to accomplish that so even though lying about a candidate dropping out of the race is supremely shitty, I don't think there's any rules technically broken by it.

Third, if you're told "hey your candidate dropped out of the race, come to our side" from supporters of a different candidate and you take it at face value without say, confirming it with the caucus organizers that are in the same room as you or the internet you likely have on your phone, then I don't know what to say.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    This moment of Jeb! humilliation was thankfuly recorded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdCYMvaUcrA

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    First off, since it's a Caucus thrown by the Republican Party whatever went down--no matter how scummy, slimy, and unethical it is--is not Electoral Fraud. If any punishment happens from this, it'd be doled out by the Republican Party itself.

Second, the way a caucus works means you are trying to convince human beings in a physical room to throw their support behind a person. As far as I know there's no rules against lying to accomplish that so even though lying about a candidate dropping out of the race is supremely shitty, I don't think there's any rules technically broken by it.

Third, if you're told "hey your candidate dropped out of the race, come to our side" from supporters of a different candidate and you take it at face value without say, confirming it with the caucus organizers that are in the same room as you or the internet you likely have on your phone, then I don't know what to say.

Yeah, no. Again, we aren't using the legal definition because it's frankly pointless in this kind of discussion.

• Options
    Point: Trump is using the legal definition. He's explicitly calling Cruz's actions illegal.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-tweet-cruz-stole-iowa

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Well, Trump is a fucking moron, so that hardly matters.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Fair enough. I was thinking we were discussing the political game of the primary here. Trump is the major player bringing up and trump-eting these allegations so it seemed relevant to point out his motivation and tactics surrounding it. His particular argumentation also seemed on topic and worthy of discussion.

• Options
    An article on why the evangelicals don't like Trump:
    The prospect of a Trump nomination alarms national anti-choice groups as well. Just before the Iowa Caucuses, 12 conservative, anti-choice women wrote an open letter to Iowans, highlighting Trump's lack of commitment to banning abortion, or to appointing Supreme Court justices who would overturn Roe v. Wade. "America will only be a great nation when we have leaders of strong character who will defend both unborn children and the dignity of women. We cannot trust Donald Trump to do either," the letter read. Signers included stalwarts of the Christian right, including Beverly LaHaye, who founded Concerned Women for America, one of the first religious right activist organizations targeting women, in 1979, and Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the influential anti-abortion group the Susan B. Anthony List.

So, they want to be lied to, of course. I kinda feel sorry for Trumpians, watching your party lose elections because they have to pander to morons is humilliating, so no wonder they are furious.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    so, wait...

there's a bunch of people running around calling themselves the fucking SUSAN B. ANTHONY GROUP who advocate less rights for women?

mother FUCKER.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    They're the real feminists, don't let liberal oppression of opinion pull one over you.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    It would be nice indeed if Trump misses the nomination in as bad terms as possible. I still have my fingers crossed for an independent run if that happens.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I couldn't care less about Trump maybe having a point about Cruz's underhanded actions in Iowa, I like watching him squirm and whine like a sore loser. The only reason he's making such a big deal of it is because he lost. If he'd won Iowa he'd have a few tweets calling Cruz a pathetic loser but he wouldn't be raising a fuss over it.

I can think Cruz made a scummy move while also enjoying the schadenfreude of Trump being a sore loser.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Apparently Trump's plane was forced into an emergency landing in Nashville last night. I haven't heard much more than that. Radio isn't being terribly informative.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Apparently Trump's plane was forced into an emergency landing in Nashville last night. I haven't heard much more than that. Radio isn't being terribly informative.

I thought Trump's plane and pilot were the best(!). Therefore, this was clearly a planned surprise for all of his supporters at the airport.

• Options
    Firefighters: Fuck you Ted:

"What Ted Cruz did the other night in his Iowa victory speech is disgusting," said Harold Schaitberger, president of the International Association of Fire Fighters. "He said he embraces fire fighters and the dangerous work they do, says he’s our friend and calls himself a great patriot. But when it came time to actually have the backs of fire fighters across the U.S., he was AWOL. Cruz is the worst kind of politician who will say or do anything to get elected."

In specific:
    "I say to you Senator: You had your chance to stand up for those who rushed into the burning towers on 9/11 and you failed them," Cassidy wrote in the New York Daily News Tuesday. "While sick and dying firefighters spent months in Washington, D.C., working to convince Congress to extend the Zadroga Act and provide healthcare for ill 9/11 responders, Sen. Cruz was nowhere to be found."

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    TryCatcher wrote: »

"What Ted Cruz did the other night in his Iowa victory speech is disgusting," said Harold Schaitberger, president of the International Association of Fire Fighters. "He said he embraces fire fighters and the dangerous work they do, says he’s our friend and calls himself a great patriot. But when it came time to actually have the backs of fire fighters across the U.S., he was AWOL. Cruz is the worst kind of politician who will say or do anything to get elected."

In specific:
    "I say to you Senator: You had your chance to stand up for those who rushed into the burning towers on 9/11 and you failed them," Cassidy wrote in the New York Daily News Tuesday. "While sick and dying firefighters spent months in Washington, D.C., working to convince Congress to extend the Zadroga Act and provide healthcare for ill 9/11 responders, Sen. Cruz was nowhere to be found."

The fact that Ted Cruz seems to alienate anyone whom he crosses path with is truly fascinating.

Has there ever been a precedent for this in US politics?

notdroid on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    notdroid wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »

In specific:

The fact that Ted Cruz seems to alienate anyone whom he crosses path with is truly fascinating.

Has there ever been a precedent for this in US politics?

Richard Nixon probably came close. The big difference there is that he made enemies by being the attack dog for moderate Republicans, while Cruz mauls for his own pleasure and profit.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    On the off chance Cruz gets the nomination, what's he going to do when no one wants to be his Vice President? Pick his own campaign manager?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Sure, firefighters are against Ted Cruz, but he can still sink lower. Get ready for Used Car Salesmen of America and the Union of Unscrupulous Lawyers to join the fray. He out-slimes them all.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I thought Trump's plane and pilot were the best(!). Therefore, this was clearly a planned surprise for all of his supporters at the airport.

Or they just won a tough fight with election Dragon.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If Cruz were born with less money and had less education he's probably be about halfway finished with his Leatherface suit

I'm only half joking I think the guy is genuinely a sociopath

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Election Dragon is hands-down my favorite thing to come out of this election, even against such tough competition of a video of Jeb saying "Mission Accomplished"

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Party endorsements haven't exactly translated into success at the polls for Republicans this cycle. That said, Rubio has now pulled ahead of JEB(!#$%) in the number of official endorsements received.

Could be an indication that GOP members of congress are increasingly seeing Rubio as their least-bad option.

Link: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/marco-rubio-is-now-winning-the-race-for-endorsements/

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    A lot of people are waiting to endorse Rubio later on out of fear of too many endorsements too quick making him too "establishment" and sinking him.

Viskod on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I'm going to save my outrage for the inevitable actual Fraud. Repeating a media report implying that Carson is dropping out when he clearly is going to soon anyway and when he literally had stopped campaigning is barely a faux pas in the GOP playbook

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Ladai wrote: »
    Party endorsements haven't exactly translated into success at the polls for Republicans this cycle. That said, Rubio has now pulled ahead of JEB(!#$%) in the number of official endorsements received.

Could be an indication that GOP members of congress are increasingly seeing Rubio as their least-bad option.

Link: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/marco-rubio-is-now-winning-the-race-for-endorsements/

Honestly, if the GOP ends up having another "moderate" (by this race's crazy standards) run for the presidency and fail, I shudder to think which candidates will show up next election, as the base inevitably blames their defeat on not being right enough.

There's little room to the right already without falling into either straight up fascism or anarchy.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Honestly, if the GOP ends up having another "moderate" (by this race's crazy standards) run for the presidency and fail, I shudder to think which candidates will show up next election, as the base inevitably blames their defeat on not being right enough.

There's little room to the right already without falling into either straight up fascism or anarchy.

Would a failed Trump or Cruz bid be enough to break that cycle though?

I honestly don't know what it would take.

• Options
    they're perfectly fine with throwing former anti-establishment darlings under the bus the second they become a liability.

• Options

Would a failed Trump or Cruz bid be enough to break that cycle though?

I honestly don't know what it would take.

I'm not sure either, the level of insanity in this race is already freakishly high. We're now in a world where Fox News has been called a liberal media. This is the point we have reached folks, let that sink in.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Trump wouldn't break the cycle.

"Trump wasn't a conservative! He was a fascist, populist liberal claiming to be a conservative! Look at his record, he's pro-choice and he's donated to democrats in the past! No true conservative..."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tox wrote: »

"Trump wasn't a conservative! He was a fascist, populist liberal claiming to be a conservative! Look at his record, he's pro-choice and he's donated to democrats in the past! No true conservative..."

This is already happening, even.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

And Cruz would be "well, he was an asshole no wonder he didn't get elected". Neither of those will change anything within the GOP

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

And Cruz would be "well, he was an asshole no wonder he didn't get elected". Neither of those will change anything within the GOP

Eh, Cruz' case would at least have the benefit of moving the goalposts, instead of just falling back to no true scotsman.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    It's funny because this is even going beyond the realm of English words I know to put my thoughts down on screen.

I'm in the mood to talk politics, I come into this thread, catch up on it, want to get my opinions down and discuss things...

but all I can seemingly come up with is

This whole thing is fucking BONKERS, everyone.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Well they sure didn't call attention to when he was singing in the church at the South Carolina service after that shooting

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

not even worth 1% benefit of the doubt

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
This discussion has been closed.