As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SEGA finding new ways to disappoint us in 2024

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    so the annual Sonic Amateur Games Expo happened recently and this thing came out of it with game of show

https://youtu.be/5paaz16Nw20

it's still in a super early state but there is a download link in the description where you can try it for yourself

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Is that made by the same guy who did the 3D sonic proof of concept?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/al0GFfRfq9w

sonic mania has a new stage evoking the cut desert stage from sonic 2 that the public only ever saw in screenshots

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

Tails is so psyched to be in a good game.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm very interested in Sonic Mania

Because it'll either be an actually good game, which seems so impossible at this point

Or it'll be terrible and that'll be hilarious

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    i'm kind of expecting it to be middle of the road

totally fine and competent but doesn't do enough to differentiate itself or stand above all the bajillion unofficial romhacks and fan games the sonic community has churned out over the years

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's been weeks since the last decent Sonic game.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i mean if you want to play a good throwback to old school sonic you don't have to wait for sonic mania, freedom planet is right there

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    freedom planet doesn't actually feel like a sonic game to me, the gameplay still feels pretty distinct

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    i decided to buy sonic generations because hey that's a pretty decent game and i started it up and OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS FONT

bub0qdqk80w4.jpg

pic.jpg 446.1K
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    beautiful

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

DAYTOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    do do do do do do do do do do
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlAvZFrtDSI

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    idgaf about the daytona games but I love the music

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Takenobu Mitsuyoshi is a living treasure.

• Options
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Guys I'm reading Console Wars
    And Sega has been fielding ideas from two ad agencies for the new campaign for Sonic 2, and the favorite is this hotshot agency called Wieden+Kennedy which they consider basically a lock

And they go to the presentation and it sounds like just the gaudiest 90s thing, and then there's this:
    And it was called “vidspeak,” the concept of new, hip, future-is-now language that Wieden+Kennedy had invented as the backbone of their campaign. The agency provided a sampler from the vidspeak lexicon, which included the following words, terms, and phrases:

Gearlets: The vidspeak word for gamers. Also known as gamelets, gameys, whoossies, vidiots, speaklets, bossaroos, and cluelets.
    Hedgy wedgy: Anything pertaining to Sonic The Hedgehog, or to any fan of said Sonic The Hedgehog. Also that cute little way Sonic has of stamping his foot when he can’t believe you’re so slow and stupid. (See Slow geezer trying to play the game)
    Whammy jammy: The way you feel when playing a good game.
    Gobble-degoop: Running wild. Running fast. Running all over the place without time to say “Hasta la vista, baby.” (See Sonic The Hedgehog)
    Mobile mover with wings: What gamers will call the Game Gear. Also referred to as the a-to-go-cup, a minda-rama, a home away from home, and a great thing to wrap your knozzles around.
    Master blaster: What you do when you start playing the Sega Menacer Master Module. Or, how to be a real sure-shot full-tilt accu-sight kind of guy.
    I was Brahms: I was drunk with power. I was mad with passion. I was blitzed with energy. I was actually able to reach the next damn level.

What is this
    What is any of this

Needless to say they didn't end up going with this but holy shit nobody knew how to sell a video game back then

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    adding "I was Brahms" to my vocabulary now.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Are we sure all those aren't just examples of normal british slang

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Johannes Brahms? He was their avatar of unlimited power?

• Options
    Actually, that one might actually come from existing slang. "Brahms" being rhyming slang (the rhyme is omitted) for "pissed (drunk)", and they describe it here meaning "drunk with power".

Still though. It then immediately veers off into madness.

• Options
    How do you pronounce Brahms so that it rhymes with drunk

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Actually, that one might actually come from existing slang. "Brahms" being rhyming slang (the rhyme is omitted) for "pissed (drunk)", and they describe it here meaning "drunk with power".

Still though. It then immediately veers off into madness.

What the fuck word for "drunk" rhymes with "Brahms"?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The rhyme is omitted in that style of slang.

"Brahms and Liszt" = "pissed". But it's shortened to "Brahms".

One gets the impression that it's meant to confuse.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    cockney rhyming slang's whole thing is to talk in a way that police officers can't understand when they're listening in on you

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    The rhyme is omitted in that style of slang.

"Brahms and Liszt" = "pissed". But it's shortened to "Brahms".

One gets the impression that it's meant to confuse.

Oh so it's just straight up codespeak then.

Okay.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Is anything on that list any worse than tubular, badical or fleek tho?, like let's be honest with ourselves....

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Hmm that previous post could read as dismissive, which wasn't my intent. I had just assumed that it would be the sort of slang where you could trace the etymology, but if the rhyme itself is omitted, then it's pretty much just a complete guessing game (which based on the apparent origin, was clearly the point). That's cool just... different from what I expected.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    New Daytona get out of my head sega

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    cockney rhyming slang's whole thing is to talk in a way that police officers can't understand when they're listening in on you

Downside is all the coppers in the west end speak it better than anyone else.

• Options
    Is anything on that list any worse than tubular, badical or fleek tho?, like let's be honest with ourselves....

The difference is those generally came about naturally as slang that people just started using.

The above list is specifically created to try to get people to use as a marketing tool. You don't just get to say "We made up this new word and it's slang now, so start using it."

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

The difference is those generally came about naturally as slang that people just started using.

The above list is specifically created to try to get people to use as a marketing tool. You don't just get to say "We made up this new word and it's slang now, so start using it."

Oh ya, I don't disagree with that, just found it funny, that we were no less terrible at what we created compared to what they created.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

That list is only worse because it's so brazenly manufactured and out of touch with how anyone on the planet was actually talking.

All slang is fine when it arises as a natural outgrowth of a group or culture. Also all slang is terrible.

• Options
    Houk wrote: »

That list is only worse because it's so brazenly manufactured and out of touch with how anyone on the planet was actually talking.

All slang is fine when it arises as a natural outgrowth of a group or culture. Also all slang is terrible.

Zeetus lapeetus!

BLM - ACAB