As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SEGA finding new ways to disappoint us in 2024

19192949697100

Posts

  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Is that a hamster wheel as a ubisoft map-reveal tower? I love it.

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    You know what I want in my series of tightly designed linear levels that emphasise speed?
    Big open empty fields

  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be so down on the open world if it at least looked interesting. But Sonic games (excluding Mania) have been embarrassed to look like Sonic games for so long we get this, where Sonic appears to be running through the opening area of the switch port of Xenoblade.

  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I kind of think visiting the world of Sonic as an open-world style game would be more fun if you were playing as Tails or Knuckles instead.

  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Y'all wanna hear a joke?
    Sonic Frontiers running in handheld mode on the switch

  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that looks terrible, glad sega is staying true to form

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Midnite wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so down on the open world if it at least looked interesting. But Sonic games (excluding Mania) have been embarrassed to look like Sonic games for so long we get this, where Sonic appears to be running through the opening area of the switch port of Xenoblade.

    To be clear, I do think this game could be good for what it is trying to be

    What it is trying to be doesn't interest me

  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

    this is just PSO2: New Genesis but with sonic

  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    They're so afraid for it to be colorful.

    "But but muh simulationism" My sibling in Chaos you are playing a electric blue hedgehog who runs at supersonic speeds, they can make the world less muddy, I promise.

    Gameplay could potentially be interesting, but they desperately want this to be Breath of the Wild, so I'm skeptical.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Sonic Frontier features:
    *Turn into a Were-hog at will
    *Kiss many humans
    *Raise Chaos in Chao gardens
    *Big the Cat fishing simulation areas
    *Go fast? (Planned for future DLC)

    Chall on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Wait? Chao Garden is back? Fuck, those bastards got me in again.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    Sonic Frontier features:
    *Turn into a Were-hog at will
    *Kiss many humans
    *Raise Chaos in Chao gardens
    *Big the Cat fishing simulation areas
    *Go fast? (Planned for future DLC)

    You had me at Big

    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Wait? Chao Garden is back? Fuck, those bastards got me in again.

    No sorry my whole post was BS, none of that is true (probably) unless you were responding to the trailer but I didn't see anything there either.

  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »
    Wait? Chao Garden is back? Fuck, those bastards got me in again.

    No sorry my whole post was BS, none of that is true (probably) unless you were responding to the trailer but I didn't see anything there either.

    How dare you imply I'm at all serious about a 3D Sonic game

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They really need to drop the human stuff in the movies. Have Eggman blow them up.

  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Open World Sonic could work, if building and maintaining speed was a fun and engaging way to get around. Fill the world with hills, ramps, loops, grind rails, and so on to pull off tricks to build ever more speed, dodging enemies to maintain LUDICROUS SPEED.

    But instead it’s going to be Sonic Team doing open world not because of any potential vision or idea they had, but as yet another reinvention of the franchise because they are just terrified of refining anything. So uh…open world is popular, let’s do that.

    And the fact we have seen 30 seconds of gameplay for a game announced a year ago, a game that has has FIVE YEARS of development, does not bode well. Is this going to be another Sonic Forces where it’s competent but terribly undercooked? Is the new Sonic Cycle “work on game, throw it out the window, throw something together in a 18-24 months”?

    We shall see!

    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Open World Sonic could work, if building and maintaining speed was a fun and engaging way to get around. Fill the world with hills, ramps, loops, grind rails, and so on to pull off tricks to build ever more speed, dodging enemies to maintain LUDICROUS SPEED.

    But instead it’s going to be Sonic Team doing open world not because of any potential vision or idea they had, but as yet another reinvention of the franchise because they are just terrified of refining anything. So uh…open world is popular, let’s do that.

    And the fact we have seen 30 seconds of gameplay for a game announced a year ago, a game that has has FIVE YEARS of development, does not bode well. Is this going to be another Sonic Forces where it’s competent but terribly undercooked? Is the new Sonic Cycle “work on game, throw it out the window, throw something together in a 18-24 months”?

    We shall see!

    All I ever wanted is the Sonic CD cutscenes in game form.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYW7-hNXZlM

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIWYU3xDcFw

    Nowadays a good art team could make a game look just like it.

  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Open World Sonic could work, if building and maintaining speed was a fun and engaging way to get around. Fill the world with hills, ramps, loops, grind rails, and so on to pull off tricks to build ever more speed, dodging enemies to maintain LUDICROUS SPEED.

    Sonic should be Tribes 2, got it

  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    It's not Sonic Breath of the Wild,
    it's Sonic and the Elden Rings

    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They could totally make a 3D Sonic game that looks like a cartoon now.
    I wish they made a Zelda that looked like anime.

  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I want a Star Fox that looks like puppets like Thunderbirds or something.

  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I kind of think visiting the world of Sonic as an open-world style game would be more fun if you were playing as Tails or Knuckles instead.

    I do think a lot of the secondary characters would be a better fit for open world gameplay than Sonic.

    Still hoping this turns out to be fun though.

    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Matev wrote: »
    They're so afraid for it to be colorful.

    "But but muh simulationism" My sibling in Chaos you are playing a electric blue hedgehog who runs at supersonic speeds, they can make the world less muddy, I promise.

    Gameplay could potentially be interesting, but they desperately want this to be Breath of the Wild, so I'm skeptical.

    I really wouldn't characterize what we've seen as 'muddy' or 'simulationism'. That's some bright, colorful blue skies and green grass. And some silly, toylike interactive objects that clearly only exist for Sonic to use them.

    Edit: I'm with you that it'd be more fun if the world looked more like the 2D games, though. I'm just saying the look they're going with is not the 'realism is brown' aesthetic at all.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    That really feels like the PSO2 NG engine lol

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2022
    No one is forcing you to make Sonic games, sega.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    No one is forcing you to make Sonic games, sega.

    I think the shareholders are actually literally forcing them though

  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

    Why is the pop in so awful

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hello, SEGA, you’re in this thread right? Hey.

    Could you just make another 2D Sonic game (get some good coders and give the whole team plenty of time) but make it look like the opening animation for Sonic Mania?

    That’s all you’ve got to do. Then make a sequel to that later on, use the same engine and most of the same art, after a year or so.

  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Hello, SEGA, you’re in this thread right? Hey.

    Could you just make another 2D Sonic game (get some good coders and give the whole team plenty of time) but make it look like the opening animation for Sonic Mania?

    That’s all you’ve got to do. Then make a sequel to that later on, use the same engine and most of the same art, after a year or so.

    It's like they don't even want my money

  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Sonic games, on average, sell enough copies to make back there budget at least. Every once in a while one sells very well and nets Sega a decent profit.

    You gotta remember even the bad Sonic games get quite a few sales from kids wanting them. Sonic has enough familiarity it can push all but the worst titles to at least breaking even.

    Whether the series refusal to iterate on successful games is a Sonic Team thing or a corporate one I don't know.

    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Also not for this game in particular but I wish art directors looked at like… a few… photos of landscapes before making their open world game. I want a game to start in one of these places instead of Vague Grass Area.

    ioi2t4pguh7x.jpeg
    86ybw2qk8b5w.jpeg
    0ljdgyycn81s.jpeg
    dv0aa47bdz1x.jpeg


    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    They did try and iterate on Sonic Generations after that became popular and acclaimed, and that got us Sonic Forces. Even included the ability to make your own Sonic OC! How could that go wrong?

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    By all accounts I've seen forces was somehow stuck in development hell for years from all the bad ideas they were trying to shove into it

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    By all accounts I've seen forces was somehow stuck in development hell for years from all the bad ideas they were trying to shove into it

    Based on Sonic related things I've failed to scrub from my memory, shoving too many terrible things into Sonic seems totally on theme though.

  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah no that is entirely normal for sonic

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If you werent telling me it was a real place I'm not sure I'd believe that second picture. That looks famtastic.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
Sign In or Register to comment.