As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SEGA finding new ways to disappoint us in 2024

18788909293100

Posts

  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, I still can't get over the idea that those are somehow soft padded things and not, you know, hard spikes.

    Those are gloves, my dude.

    Yes, and you could put hard spikes on gloves. See upgrades in Adventure 2, for instance.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    H3Knuckles
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, I still can't get over the idea that those are somehow soft padded things and not, you know, hard spikes.

    Those are gloves, my dude.

    Yes, and you could put hard spikes on gloves. See upgrades in Adventure 2, for instance.

    They aren't hard? He uses them to climb walls.

    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    H3KnucklesdiscriderCouscous
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its called the stinger

    You aint allowed to use it no more

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    LBD_NytetraynMatev
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    it's cartoon logic, they're only dangerous when he wants them to be

    it's like how sonic can cut his way through robots but no one ever hurts themselves by touching his quills

    MidniteEndless_SerpentsH3KnucklesCouscousIncenjucar
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

    Sega working hard to prepare for the next movie release.

    DonnictonaugustH3KnucklesMunkus BeaverMatev
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    "The fun bad ones like Colors"

    /breathes a sigh of relief

    H3Knuckles
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    leaked a while ago but confirmation is nice

    https://youtu.be/OnuNYBo9A6c

    I'm kind of surprised Sonic wasn't already putting in a guest appearance there. I mean, they shoe-horned him into Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, and solving puzzles isn't really a thing I associate with Sonic. But he's had special stages that sort of resemble a Monkey Ball course going back to STH 2.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    it's cartoon logic, they're only dangerous when he wants them to be

    it's like how sonic can cut his way through robots but no one ever hurts themselves by touching his quills

    Well also you can pet a real life Hedgehog on its quills if its relaxed, cause they only point outwards if it feels threatened. You just have to go in the direction they lay is all.

    X22wmuF.jpg
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    leaked a while ago but confirmation is nice

    https://youtu.be/OnuNYBo9A6c

    I'm kind of surprised Sonic wasn't already putting in a guest appearance there. I mean, they shoe-horned him into Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, and solving puzzles isn't really a thing I associate with Sonic. But he's had special stages that sort of resemble a Monkey Ball course going back to STH 2.

    Puyo Puyo is Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine which is why it's in Mania

    discrider on
    TheySlashThemMatevMidniteH3KnucklesMunkus BeaverEinzelBlackDragon480Dee Kae
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    leaked a while ago but confirmation is nice

    https://youtu.be/OnuNYBo9A6c

    I'm kind of surprised Sonic wasn't already putting in a guest appearance there. I mean, they shoe-horned him into Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, and solving puzzles isn't really a thing I associate with Sonic. But he's had special stages that sort of resemble a Monkey Ball course going back to STH 2.

    Puyo Puyo is Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine which is why it's in Mania

    Yeah, Mean Bean Machine is the only exposure I had to Puyo Puyo until basically the internet.

    DonnictonMatevdiscriderPinfeldorfMunkus BeaverEtiowsa
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    discrider wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    leaked a while ago but confirmation is nice

    https://youtu.be/OnuNYBo9A6c

    I'm kind of surprised Sonic wasn't already putting in a guest appearance there. I mean, they shoe-horned him into Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, and solving puzzles isn't really a thing I associate with Sonic. But he's had special stages that sort of resemble a Monkey Ball course going back to STH 2.

    Puyo Puyo is Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine which is why it's in Mania

    Hah, I forgot all about Mean Bean Machine.

    Oh well, I still feel like Monkey Ball is a pretty obvious place for Sonic to cameo, and I'm surprised he hadn't already.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    leaked a while ago but confirmation is nice

    https://youtu.be/OnuNYBo9A6c

    I'm kind of surprised Sonic wasn't already putting in a guest appearance there. I mean, they shoe-horned him into Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, and solving puzzles isn't really a thing I associate with Sonic. But he's had special stages that sort of resemble a Monkey Ball course going back to STH 2.

    Puyo Puyo is Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine which is why it's in Mania

    Hah, I forgot all about Mean Bean Machine.

    Oh well, I still feel like Monkey Ball is a pretty obvious place for Sonic to cameo, and I'm surprised he hadn't already.

    I wouldn't be surprised if someone put the idea out there during the prime Monkey Ball era and Yuji Naka was like "how dare you, absolutely not."

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Where is Majima just enjoying the shit out of being in a ball

    Edit: And also Majima should occasionally just jump in while you are playing as Kiryu

    Couscous on
    DiarmuidBlackDragon480
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Where is Majima just enjoying the shit out of being in a ball

    Edit: And also Majima should occasionally just jump in while you are playing as Kiryu

    Goro's just in the background of every stage doing the Hustle in a ball.

    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/0RD-sdbfQYI
    New Sonic cartoon for the new versions of Sonic Colors coming out.

    cj iwakura
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    How nice of them to include so many people's Sonic OCs too

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    So, for some reason, ScreenRant did an interview with Ken Penders about The Lara-Su Chronicles, his strange continuation of his work on the Archie Sonic comics that won't feature Sonic (but apparently will feature Robo-Robotnik, somehow).

    I'm including some of the more..."interesting"...parts of it:
    I’m hoping my story inspires the next generation to do their own thing as opposed to playing in someone else’s sandbox. I never saw Sonic as playing in someone else’s sandbox because Sonic didn’t exist when I began working in comics. I didn’t grow up with the character the way today’s kids did. From my point of view, I was one of the players building the sandbox others wanted to play in.

    So I look at The Lara-Su Chronicles as my effort to finish what I began. Here’s this world I had to create for Sonic and Knuckles to play in, a world so rich they’re really not necessary to complete the story. People may disagree because of my inclusion of the character K’Nox, but that was to allow for a tighter connection to what came before for the longtime readers. I couldn’t leave them hanging after all this time.
    ---
    This was always going to be a seven book series. This is a completely mapped story. I may not know the details but I know there’s a journey and an end.
    --
    Book five is basically my resolution to what happens to the Sonic cast of characters that I created, like Geoffrey St. John, Queen Alicia and Prince Elias.
    ---
    At the time, I had set up three separate issues in Sonic: 50, 125 and 144. I didn’t know where I was going but they establish that by Sonic disrupting the space-time continuum on three separate occasions, it would lead to cataclysmic event. And once I had those elements in place, that’s when my story came to form much more coherently.
    ---
    As far as Lara-Su’s legacy continuing, my son will do something, but I’m not sure what that will look like because they want to see what I do first before they do anything in particular. They look at it as my baby, as something they will be responsible for at some point down the road, but they haven’t given any thought to it yet. I also have two grandchildren, and you don’t know what steps they will take.

    Source

    So basically Penders not only wants to create a new franchise with his Sonic OCs that is in the same continuity as the old comics (at least the ones he worked on) but can't feature Sonic characters, but he wants his son and grandchildren to make his glorified fanfic into a multi-generational work (which is...wow).

    Hexmage-PA on
    Dark Raven XDarkPrimusKristmas KthulhuTicaldfjamLBD_NytetraynshoeboxjeddyCrippl3MidniteMatevH3KnucklesBlackDragon480
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    How old is Ken Penders, he doesn't look that old

  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Platy wrote: »
    How old is Ken Penders, he doesn't look that old

    I surprisingly haven't been able to find any source on the year he was born. I did see a Reddit thread where someone was asking that question only for the responses to be "no clue". Best I've seen is in that interview itself, where he says Sonic didn't exist when he started working in comics.

    Hexmage-PA on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Seen some clips of Sonic Colors on Switch running like absolute dogbuns, graphical glitches like woah. I feel like that shouldn't be allowed for decades later remasters.

    Oh brilliant
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Some people claimed it was the result of people playing the game on an emulator

    Of course, this resulted in people posting videos of them playing it on a Switch and getting the bugs.

    People also seem to have figured out at least one of the big triggers. Quickly switching between planets appears to cause it. Rapidly switching between levels like that sounds like something the QA people would have done almost as a matter of course when just trying to break things.

    Sonic sometimes turns into a fish. Seizure warning

    "full of deadly radiation"

    The other versions also have issues, but they aren't potentially seizure inducing so aren't really getting as much attention.
    https://youtu.be/n6Fd1COgWoI
    This has various bugs that would be mocked like the ones in Sonic Boom normally

    Couscous on
    Dark Raven X
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    The FMVs still being in 480 but upscaled is kind of really bad. Like low resolution FMVs is often one of the things that really stands out about playing old PC games at higher resolutions than they assumed most people would play at launch.

    Couscous on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So, for some reason, ScreenRant did an interview with Ken Penders about The Lara-Su Chronicles, his strange continuation of his work on the Archie Sonic comics that won't feature Sonic (but apparently will feature Robo-Robotnik, somehow).

    I'm including some of the more..."interesting"...parts of it:
    I’m hoping my story inspires the next generation to do their own thing as opposed to playing in someone else’s sandbox. I never saw Sonic as playing in someone else’s sandbox because Sonic didn’t exist when I began working in comics. I didn’t grow up with the character the way today’s kids did. From my point of view, I was one of the players building the sandbox others wanted to play in.

    So I look at The Lara-Su Chronicles as my effort to finish what I began. Here’s this world I had to create for Sonic and Knuckles to play in, a world so rich they’re really not necessary to complete the story. People may disagree because of my inclusion of the character K’Nox, but that was to allow for a tighter connection to what came before for the longtime readers. I couldn’t leave them hanging after all this time.
    ---
    This was always going to be a seven book series. This is a completely mapped story. I may not know the details but I know there’s a journey and an end.
    --
    Book five is basically my resolution to what happens to the Sonic cast of characters that I created, like Geoffrey St. John, Queen Alicia and Prince Elias.
    ---
    At the time, I had set up three separate issues in Sonic: 50, 125 and 144. I didn’t know where I was going but they establish that by Sonic disrupting the space-time continuum on three separate occasions, it would lead to cataclysmic event. And once I had those elements in place, that’s when my story came to form much more coherently.
    ---
    As far as Lara-Su’s legacy continuing, my son will do something, but I’m not sure what that will look like because they want to see what I do first before they do anything in particular. They look at it as my baby, as something they will be responsible for at some point down the road, but they haven’t given any thought to it yet. I also have two grandchildren, and you don’t know what steps they will take.

    Source

    So basically Penders not only wants to create a new franchise with his Sonic OCs that is in the same continuity as the old comics (at least the ones he worked on) but can't feature Sonic characters, but he wants his son and grandchildren to make his glorified fanfic into a multi-generational work (which is...wow).

    This is definitely one of those things where you're like "yeah for sure dad" just to make 'em happy, right?

    X22wmuF.jpg
    Crippl3H3Knuckles
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So, for some reason, ScreenRant did an interview with Ken Penders about The Lara-Su Chronicles, his strange continuation of his work on the Archie Sonic comics that won't feature Sonic (but apparently will feature Robo-Robotnik, somehow).

    I'm including some of the more..."interesting"...parts of it:
    I’m hoping my story inspires the next generation to do their own thing as opposed to playing in someone else’s sandbox. I never saw Sonic as playing in someone else’s sandbox because Sonic didn’t exist when I began working in comics. I didn’t grow up with the character the way today’s kids did. From my point of view, I was one of the players building the sandbox others wanted to play in.

    So I look at The Lara-Su Chronicles as my effort to finish what I began. Here’s this world I had to create for Sonic and Knuckles to play in, a world so rich they’re really not necessary to complete the story. People may disagree because of my inclusion of the character K’Nox, but that was to allow for a tighter connection to what came before for the longtime readers. I couldn’t leave them hanging after all this time.
    ---
    This was always going to be a seven book series. This is a completely mapped story. I may not know the details but I know there’s a journey and an end.
    --
    Book five is basically my resolution to what happens to the Sonic cast of characters that I created, like Geoffrey St. John, Queen Alicia and Prince Elias.
    ---
    At the time, I had set up three separate issues in Sonic: 50, 125 and 144. I didn’t know where I was going but they establish that by Sonic disrupting the space-time continuum on three separate occasions, it would lead to cataclysmic event. And once I had those elements in place, that’s when my story came to form much more coherently.
    ---
    As far as Lara-Su’s legacy continuing, my son will do something, but I’m not sure what that will look like because they want to see what I do first before they do anything in particular. They look at it as my baby, as something they will be responsible for at some point down the road, but they haven’t given any thought to it yet. I also have two grandchildren, and you don’t know what steps they will take.

    Source

    So basically Penders not only wants to create a new franchise with his Sonic OCs that is in the same continuity as the old comics (at least the ones he worked on) but can't feature Sonic characters, but he wants his son and grandchildren to make his glorified fanfic into a multi-generational work (which is...wow).

    This is definitely one of those things where you're like "yeah for sure dad" just to make 'em happy, right?

    This is one of thise things where if this man has children they probably need to be taken by the state

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So, for some reason, ScreenRant did an interview with Ken Penders about The Lara-Su Chronicles, his strange continuation of his work on the Archie Sonic comics that won't feature Sonic (but apparently will feature Robo-Robotnik, somehow).

    I'm including some of the more..."interesting"...parts of it:
    I’m hoping my story inspires the next generation to do their own thing as opposed to playing in someone else’s sandbox. I never saw Sonic as playing in someone else’s sandbox because Sonic didn’t exist when I began working in comics. I didn’t grow up with the character the way today’s kids did. From my point of view, I was one of the players building the sandbox others wanted to play in.

    So I look at The Lara-Su Chronicles as my effort to finish what I began. Here’s this world I had to create for Sonic and Knuckles to play in, a world so rich they’re really not necessary to complete the story. People may disagree because of my inclusion of the character K’Nox, but that was to allow for a tighter connection to what came before for the longtime readers. I couldn’t leave them hanging after all this time.
    ---
    This was always going to be a seven book series. This is a completely mapped story. I may not know the details but I know there’s a journey and an end.
    --
    Book five is basically my resolution to what happens to the Sonic cast of characters that I created, like Geoffrey St. John, Queen Alicia and Prince Elias.
    ---
    At the time, I had set up three separate issues in Sonic: 50, 125 and 144. I didn’t know where I was going but they establish that by Sonic disrupting the space-time continuum on three separate occasions, it would lead to cataclysmic event. And once I had those elements in place, that’s when my story came to form much more coherently.
    ---
    As far as Lara-Su’s legacy continuing, my son will do something, but I’m not sure what that will look like because they want to see what I do first before they do anything in particular. They look at it as my baby, as something they will be responsible for at some point down the road, but they haven’t given any thought to it yet. I also have two grandchildren, and you don’t know what steps they will take.

    Source

    So basically Penders not only wants to create a new franchise with his Sonic OCs that is in the same continuity as the old comics (at least the ones he worked on) but can't feature Sonic characters, but he wants his son and grandchildren to make his glorified fanfic into a multi-generational work (which is...wow).

    This is definitely one of those things where you're like "yeah for sure dad" just to make 'em happy, right?

    This is one of thise things where if this man has children they probably need to be taken by the state

    I'm now at least a bit concerned that Penders and his son are trying to groom his grandchildren into carrying on his "legacy".

    Which would at least lead to an unusual bit of teenage rebellion:

    "Fuck you, Grandpa, I don't wanna draw Sonic fanfics anymore."

  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Isn't one of the major themes in his stories that "your dad is always right"

    Hexmage-PAOpty
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I heard at least some of the janky Sonic Colors footage floating around is from being-run-on-an-emulator errors, not real hardware, confirm/deny?

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    The method they use to get it only appears to work with the latest patch oddly enough

    There were enough videos from a ton of different people to make it unlikely they were all just pirating it even before they started taking videos of their Switches

    Seizure warning


    And besides the very huge potentially seizure inducing bugs, there are a ton of other bugs that would be considered pretty bad in almost any other release

    Couscous on
    Dark Raven X
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Platy wrote: »
    Isn't one of the major themes in his stories that "your dad is always right"

    Yeah, which Ian Flynn responded to early with Knuckles telling his dad off and, not much later, killing-off the character. Supposedly Penders modeled Knuckle's dad's behavior and how Knuckles responded to his dad with deference on his own relationship with his father, btw.

    Hexmage-PA on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    there's something funny about adding sega consoles as playable characters, but not the financially successful one

    Crippl3BahamutZEROBlackDragon480LBD_Nytetrayn
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i'm almost as excited to play as an actual sega saturn as I am kiryu

    7yh4xczljsym.png
    Dee Kae
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular


    sonic's gonna be in that cookie game I keep seeing on twitter and know nothing about

  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The Dreamcast should collect little VMUs instead of bananas

    FFXIV: Agran Trask
    TheySlashThemCrippl3ChallReynoldsMidniteBlackDragon480H3KnucklesLBD_NytetraynOdinDee KaeMatevSpeed Racer
Sign In or Register to comment.