As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SEGA finding new ways to disappoint us in 2024

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Oh I missed Landstalker talk.

It was designed for a Genesis controller, where you could actually ALWAYS hit the diagonals, because they always had their own little "lip". Controls awesomely with that dpad!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The Sony PSP!?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh god please let Yuzo Koshiro do the music.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    That's gotta come to the Switch right?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

No sale, unless there's a Final Fight "oh, my car!" bonus stage...

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well now I'm on my bullshit this morning already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeloqt4Wkcw

• Options
    See? Augh I wanna play again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRDKoBfKDLo

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I'm going to keep my expectations verrrrrry low.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It better have Rumble McSkirmish dlc you cowards

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I like his beard.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So hey, SEGA Heroes is finally out on iOS.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Phantasy Star is one of those games I'd love to try but I'm afraid it's aged real poorly.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Phantasy Star is one of those games I'd love to try but I'm afraid it's aged real poorly.
    It kinda depends on which of the original four in the series you're talking about trying.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    from what I understand, the fourth is probably the best in the series

I tried to play it a couple years back but it has some problems that make it real rough by modern standards

i.e. nothing you can do in battle is documented, the only way to find out what (for instance) a spell does is by casting it

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

PS4 with a tad of wiki glancing here and there is a great choice. The prior 3 are...difficult to muddle through.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    from what I understand, the fourth is probably the best in the series

I tried to play it a couple years back but it has some problems that make it real rough by modern standards

i.e. nothing you can do in battle is documented, the only way to find out what (for instance) a spell does is by casting it
    Yeah that's a fair complaint about it. And even then when you use some spells, it'll affect enemies but the results don't get declared. This is a problem the entire series has, for the record. In part 2, some spells actually don't do what they're supposed to. The Steam-available version has a mod that fixes part 2's errors.

• Options
    Yeah, I've beaten PS4 like ten times and there's still a few spells I'm not clear on. The weird ones are usually debuffs or instant death spells that only work on specific types of enemies. The rest are just series staples where you're expected to just know the name by now. Also the manual, in all its black and white and incredibly cheap glory, had a list of spells with descriptions to get you started. Only the first like 10, but, better than nothing.

The macro system is still one of the best combat tweaks of all time, and it continuously pisses me off that no other RPG uses it. Bravely Default came the closest, and that was great. The manga style cutscenes are also incredible, and really show off a style of storytelling that only existed in this brief period. Late enough in the SNES/Genesis years to know how to fit all the great art in there. But FF7 comes out like a year later, steals most of the game's story, and makes fancy 3D cutscenes the norm. Even when we started getting more visual novels over here, things made for the DS and other handhelds especially, most of them are still 'simpler' than how PS4 is presented.

The game itself is very easy by most RPG standards, so I highly recommend giving it a shot (or another shot). Just keep a FAQ or wiki open and search for anything confusing, or any references you don't quite get. There's no real puzzles I can remember, but there are a few spots where the game isn't quite clear on where you should go next. The Talk system usually helps with that, where the party chats amongst themselves and tries to remind you about what's happening.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Phantasy Star 4 is also a kind of "Best Of" game that takes bits from all three prior games.

It totally stands on it's own, and playing the previous game largely only allows you to go "Oh hey I remember that thing!"

• Options
    That Sega Heroes game just started and I went ahead and gave it a shot. It's...actually not horrible? The Sonic characters look way better than the more human ones, but they're all surprisingly well animated. There's even a fairly amusing story/campaign. I've so far even run across a few good mechanics to cut down/eliminate what I thought would be bad grinds.

Of course, it just started, so it still might tank in the long run. Once I burn through all the basically unlimited starter stamina and get into the meat of the game.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I've been messing with it for a while, but I don't do these games often, so I'm interested in what strategies you've got.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    not only is sonic robo blast 2 (the fan game/series of mods/weird communal fan project) still getting updates, it just got two major ones

a low poly reskin

https://youtu.be/_75W7JVH0GY

and a kart racer in its engine

https://youtu.be/gAqQ68-Cx0w

• Options
    I've been messing with it for a while, but I don't do these games often, so I'm interested in what strategies you've got.

Well I've been playing Marvel Puzzle Quest for a while...so the fact that 4 matches don't clear lines and 5 matches don't give free turns is weird. 4+ matches creating the skill gem is interesting, though. But it also messes up some cascades I attempt, by dropping the gem right where I don't want it. So far all I've figured out is that it's best to try to match lots of 4s near same color gems to be able to use the skill gem after, rather than make big 6+ matches, or otherwise leave gems sitting around with nothing to match to them.

As far as teams/skills go...no clue. Still just have the first few free guys. The looting system is a great idea, although you can only replay a stage so many times before a timer stops you, unfortunately. Finding 1/10 of a character and working towards 10/10 is more satisfying than hoping for a rare drop, too. If there's no character/roster limit and you can just collect everyone, I'll be fairly happy.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    So, Sega Heroes has been a bit weird this first week or two. Apparently it had a 'soft launch' or beta thing going on for a while now, so some people are already at end game. Separate servers for the PVP aspect, though, and no friend codes...so...no real impact. They completely changed the game's structure on launch, which also made guides almost impossible, and it's been hard to even get advice. Then, strangely enough, they changed things around again a week or so in to make it closer to the beta. Weird, but good changes, mostly.

So you find shards of a character to recruit them (or promote them). In the beta you could find basically every hero in the game in the regular campaign. So, if you wanted to grind them out, you eventually could. They removed most of the heroes and moved the 'good' ones to way later in the campaign. Then reshuffled them, like I mentioned earlier, to make it easier to get useful heroes. And you don't have to beat/play stages again to grind, you just click 'loot' and it takes stamina and gives you the drops you would've gotten if you'd played the stage. This even applies to special event stages and your daily resource grinds, which is very handy. It just means, strangely enough, you don't play the actual matching game nearly as often as you mash 'loot' and collect rewards. Weird.

There's a secondary campaign mode where you can use characters exclusive to that mode, that has its own stamina bar and everything. Unfortunately, the required characters are all fairly rare, so...most people (like me) had something like 1000 stamina building up with 1 out of the required 4 characters recruited. Then today they just gave everyone a set of four starter characters for that mode, free. These guys would've taken weeks of grinding to get for free, or a good chunk of real money to unlock. So, pretty cool!

I'd encourage anyone interested to give it a shot, since they seem fairly serious about making changes based on feedback. You can join the official Discord and there's an official suggestion channel where you can vote on suggestions and they get marked when a dev has read them and everything. Not sure how long the free characters will be up, or if that's going to be a standard starter gift from now on, but possibly worth downloading and checking your mail to see. As a JSR fan, I'm pretty happy to get free Beat and Gum.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I'm still trying to unlock Ali's Landale, but it's slow going, and the way the shop has all these tiers and odds... just feels too chancy to me.

• Options
    Yeah, actually paying for anything seems like a really bad idea. They'll advertise one of the rare characters for like 200 gems, which seems fine. Until you check the details and see that just gets you 1/5 of them unlocked. And it's usually something like 2500 gems to fully unlock them. Which I assume is $25.

Although on the other hand it's nice that there's a guaranteed option to get exactly what you want, if you give them the cash. Compared to 1% drop rates in other games.

It seems like using gems to refresh your stamina and refresh stages to loot is a better deal. I'm just hoarding them for now, though.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    That looks uh....

Disturbing.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    !
    Forever Entertainment together with SEGA Holding Co., Ltd. from Japan will co-create and publish Panzer Dragoon: Remake and Panzer Dragoon II Zwei: Remake. The premiere of the first part is planned before the end of 2019!

Panzer Dragoon: Remake is a refreshed version of Panzer Dragoon. The original version of the game had its premiere on the Sega Saturn console in 1995 and was well received by both players and critics. The entire Panzer Dragoon series has been repeatedly remade and released on many platforms. The last re-launch took place in April 2018 on Xbox One, where players can play Panzer Dragoon Orta with a backward compatibility. The new version of the game will be characterized by a completely new graphics compatible with today's standards and several modifications of the game, making it more attractive to modern players, while remaining faithful to the original in terms of story. The first materials from the game will be presented in the upcoming months!

• Options
    edited December 2018
    latest?cb=20140803223751

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Oh god I just realised, what the hell is going on with his eye?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh god what the fuck?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Save us, Panzer Dragoon.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Oh god I just realised, what the hell is going on with his eye?

Looks like a regular hedgehog eye

Just beady black watery orbs for this Sonic

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png