As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] Shut this s**t down, it's gotten too weird. (Thread done!)

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Liao designs didn't really do chinese naming in-setting until Xin Sheng became a thing.

Before that, in addition to developing newer mechs like the Raven and the Cataphract (whos factory got jacked by the FedCom), due to their buttmonkey status they were known for being prodigious users of notoriously shitty mechs like the Urbie, Vindicator, and Blackjack.
    prodigious users of notoriously shitty mechs like the Urbie,

I will fight you.

Look.

A time long ago where someone on the forums ran a big megamek campaign with like a good dozen+ people. Everyone got a randomly rolled mech.

One guy got an urbanmech. It was so slow that while everyone else took part in the scenario the game master had to throw in some things for him to fight next to our starting board edge.

Nobody envied him. Nobody.
    I got close, though, I think I rolled a Wasp?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Liao designs didn't really do chinese naming in-setting until Xin Sheng became a thing.

Before that, in addition to developing newer mechs like the Raven and the Cataphract (whos factory got jacked by the FedCom), due to their buttmonkey status they were known for being prodigious users of notoriously shitty mechs like the Urbie, Vindicator, and Blackjack.
    prodigious users of notoriously shitty mechs like the Urbie,

I will fight you.

Look.

A time long ago where someone on the forums ran a big megamek campaign with like a good dozen+ people. Everyone got a randomly rolled mech.

One guy got an urbanmech. It was so slow that while everyone else took part in the scenario the game master had to throw in some things for him to fight next to our starting board edge.

Nobody envied him. Nobody.
    I got close, though, I think I rolled a Wasp?

Oddly I loved both those mechs. In MWO the Urbies are actually decent, modified of course. Although in one Oosik Bash I did kill someone in my stock Urbie.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    MWO's kinda neat in that they've basically made a context where mechs like the Blackjack, Urbie, Hellbringer, and Jagermech are actually good and useful machines instead of being either disappointing or awful in some way.

On the flipside it's also a context where the Awesome is one of the worst mechs in the game.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Hrm.

2 Mech Bays open only.

I own 1 free Centurion and 1 free Atlas.

So I could buy 2 more of either to fill out the variant or I could pony up some more MC for mech bays and continue to ignore these two...

Can't go wrong with Atlases, at least if you enjoy piloting assaults.

I like Assaults but Atlases feel a little too splatty for my tastes based on the little I've messed around with them so far.

Like, Stalkers can splat but in the current environment it's very unhealthy for them to do so, so they tend to hillhump instead.

King Crabs can splat but they still at least have some midrange weapons (LPLs or LLs or whatever).

Atlases is like all splat all the time, I feel so vulnerable outside 200m and boy is it miserable getting there.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    So did anybody pre-order the Rifleman? I skipped on it and figured if I want one I'll just pick it up for cbills when it is released for nostalgia sake. Of course they're doing a 7 day countdown and I noticed that the side torsos look really thin so maybe not as bad as a Jagermech?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So did anybody pre-order the Rifleman? I skipped on it and figured if I want one I'll just pick it up for cbills when it is released for nostalgia sake. Of course they're doing a 7 day countdown and I noticed that the side torsos look really thin so maybe not as bad as a Jagermech?

I did!

Wooooooooahaaahahahaaggggg

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Is there a cicada you can get that has Jump Jets? I swear I've seen people jumping in one, but I don't see any with JJ spots.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Is there a cicada you can get that has Jump Jets? I swear I've seen people jumping in one, but I don't see any with JJ spots.

The loyalty Cicada has JJs

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

The jumping cicada is a loyalty reward from last year so you can't actually get one now

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

The jumping cicada is a loyalty reward from last year so you can't actually get one now

I liked it better with the ERPPC quirks. PPC poptarting with that thing was fun!

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Just poptart with the shadowcat. It's pretty much the best poptarter anyway. 30 points of damage downrange every time you pull the trigger, plus ecm, MASC, and a crazy small profile.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Hmm, Frontier must be shitting up their network again; my ping is ridiculous.

Wrong game there buddyman. ;)

Frontier Broadband aka my only internet source in the middle of nowhere.
    Nips Betsuni Handgimp HydroSqueegee and everyone else I cant remember.

Next time we do oosik mech night (what happened to Tuesdays,anyway?) we need to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQgTCKISyI

3 assaults with 9 urbies.

edit

Heres another video, 4 assaults 8 urbies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA6bwH-XrVE

I can play this upcoming Tuesday. I'll have to be an assault though, I still don't own any urbies.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I don't think I'm ever going to basic my Timberwolves. Public queue is just too cancerous. I had an amazing run of teammates shooting me in the face, running in front of my ER Mediums to die, and LRMing the side of a building. A single Oxide took out about half my last team. I almost had him, but my teammates evidently couldn't see him, and made every effort to take hits for him. I probably could have finished him off, but a friendly Quickdraw decided to alpha my face and I didn't have any armor left.

The Timberwolf itself is just about everything I figured it was. Feels like if you took a Marauder, doubled its damage, and made it handle like a Medium mech. I dunno what to say to all you guys thinking Clan weapons aren't that great. I've got 5 ER Mediums, which feel like 3 Large Lasers heat wise, but do 4 Large Lasers worth of damage and I can fire forever without overheating, a UAC10 that feels like 10 ton dual AC5's and jump jets for good measure. The Targeting Computer I is total bullshit. Its pretty much like a basic set of IS quirks and gives me targeting data 25% faster. I tried 6 ER mediums, but (surprise!) they're pretty hot and why get greedy. I think a 55 damage alpha is pretty fair and I can keep it up almost until I run out of ammo. I'm debating a 2 UAC10 / Small Pulse build, but I didn't want to spend too much money.

My first game was something like 800 damage done, with zero skill unlocks, and I wasn't even really trying. The only cons are waiting 5 minutes in the queue to get a game. I can only imagine what it feels like with Elited skills. So funny that the main complaint about the Hunchback IIC is that it can't keep up with a 75 ton heavy.

• Options
    I've had the most luck with the following builds:

4/5 SPL, 4SRM6+A, 6ish tons of ammo, heat sinks, 0/1 jumpjet depending on CT choice.
    4/5 SPL, 4SSRM6, CBAP, 5ish tons of ammo, heat sinks, 0/1 jumpjet depending on CT choice.
    Tag, Bap, 4xLRM15+A, 7.5 tons of ammo, 0/1 jumpjet depending on CT choice. Tag is in an arm rather than CT as this is higher up.

Streak and Splat are pure brawlers and put out massive damage. Splat is more targeted and higher damage, but takes more skill to use. Streak is beautiful for slaughtering lights, but will spread it's damage everywhere on larger mechs.

LRM is built around you getting your own targets (don't press R for lrm, maggots!) as the 300-500 meter range is optimal for clan LRMS.

In an average pug match at T4, I will get 800-1100 damage in my streak/splat timbers. In CW, I routinely do 600-700 but I play with and against higher skill players.

In CW, my LRM build has pulled in 1200ish damage with 1350 missiles, but routinely pulls in 500-600 damage. In Pug games I will get a minimum of 500 and on polar highlands can get 1300ish damage.

• Options
    @Nips

Have you thought about approaching Mech the Dane and getting an official Oosik presence on the FRR hub? as in unit tags, chat channels, etc? I know we have ventrillo, but.. Might be nice to be more tightly integrated into the FRR community, especially since we are a loyalist unit.

• Options
    I definitely encourage folks to come and play on the FRR hub.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Finally elited my Crabs.

Now, time to just grind up for an XL280(Or CTF-3D and stealing the engine) for it and I'm golden.

Also time to not play the -20 probably ever again, because fuck that thing.

Also, did I get kicked from Oosk somehow? Or accidentally quit? And could I get an invite again next time someone's on?

Khavall on
  • Options
    @Khavall I'm in game right now if you want an invite

• Options
    Whoop whoop.

Rank 10.

I am now a Fenrik in the Free Rasalhague Republic, which earned me 1.2million cbills, 500mc and a mechbay.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    @Buttcleft
    I haven't contacted Mech the Dane, but if you think we've got enough Oosiks that regularly play on the hub, I can reach out.

As for Tuesdays, my group of IRL friends decided that they'd like to spend our online night together trying out other stuff this year. So less 'Mech time overall for me.

I'll still be online on Thursdays, but February might be spotty for me as I'm prepping for a Con at the beginning of March.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I know me and @nonoffensive regularly CW.

@Betsuni has dipped a toe in now and again

and theres a few other oosiks I've seen on rare occasions with the yellow shield.

I know we don't fit their metric of 2 standing lances of CW capable players for being part of the RKA council thing, but.. maybe we if we can just get a hub presence it might pull more oosiks into CW.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    See, I'd play more CW but there's this problem where I don't like terrible things. Its why I wasn't all sunshine and rainbows when the Urbie was announced. Yaaaaaay. More scrap for the scrap heap!

Holla at me when they make CW less terrible, though. I'll give it another shot.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    See, I'd play more CW but there's this problem where I don't like terrible things. Its why I wasn't all sunshine and rainbows when the Urbie was announced. Yaaaaaay. More scrap for the scrap heap!

CW isn't just less terrible, its outright fun.. when you drop with an FRRHub 12 man.

Solo dropping is an exercise in misery, however.

Not only that, FRRHub groups have a exceedingly capable drop commander 99.99% of the time.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    I usually run CW when there are events or when I'm tired of the pug queue. Or whenever one of the FRR guys need a pilot who listens to them and they drag me into CW if I'm on.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

CW isn't just less terrible, its outright fun

I had to do a doubletake when I saw who posted that.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I'll try doing more CW. But my work schedule is butts these days.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options

CW isn't just less terrible, its outright fun.. when you drop with an FRRHub 12 man.

Not only that, FRRHub groups have a exceedingly capable drop commander 99.99% of the time.

I'm probably masochistic but I generally drop solo CW and tend to have fun.

Also every time I tried to get on the FRRHub in the past the url was down and people kept telling me I needed to use the IP but wouldn't tell me what the IP was, so that was totally helpful.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

I'm probably masochistic but I generally drop solo CW and tend to have fun.

Also every time I tried to get on the FRRHub in the past the url was down and people kept telling me I needed to use the IP but wouldn't tell me what the IP was, so that was totally helpful.

@Spectrum PM'd it to you. Its TeamSpeak btw

• Options
    Said this before and will say it again, but the GRF-2N is legit.

z90Bbyr.jpg

Always a good thing when you run yourself out of ammo and can only flail at the last enemy alive with a pair of Small Lasers.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I didn't think the address of the FRR hub was any big secret; it's been posted on reddit/official boards/etc

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Isn't it also in the OP?

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    Isn't it also in the OP?

Yes. In the second post, with all the CW info. Though I should probably double check it to make sure it's still correct.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I'm really feeling the need for stompy mechs after I get home from work and buying groceries. Say, about 7 PM pacific...

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Valentines event with mystery rewards for completing some assorted goals.

https://mwomercs.com/news/2016/02/1478-valentines-weekend-challenge

Looks very doable.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Looks very doable.

Irritated that the hero one apparently doesn't count (R) resistance mechs.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    2ih02no.jpg

Why not Crab

• Options
    @Khavall are you in game right now? I can send you that invite if you are. Just accept my friend invite.

• Options
    edited February 2016

Looks very doable.

Irritated that the hero one apparently doesn't count (R) resistance mechs.
    This includes any of the 'Special' variant 'Mechs from a pre-order package, such as a Founder 'Mech [F], Phoenix 'Mech [P], Resistance 'Mech [R], UrbanMech, Invasion 'Mech, Classic Mech, or Sarah's JR7-D Jenner 'Mech.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png