As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] Shut this s**t down, it's gotten too weird. (Thread done!)

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Not a fluke!

szYqrGo.png

And all my Grasshoppers are now 1/1 Mastered!

Now...onto...Locusts.

Ugh.

(Finally opting to play these pieces of crap because I want to econ for modules instead of buying more mechs.)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Not a fluke!

Now...onto...Locusts.

Ugh.

(Finally opting to play these pieces of crap because I want to econ for modules instead of buying more mechs.)

Word of advice: Get used to playing the game at the speed of plaid all the time. Never stop moving, never stop twisting, always stay aware of your surroundings and know what you can duck behind/beside/around.

Good luck!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Alternatively, just put like a single ERLL or ERPPC or something and just pretend you are a super mobile turret.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Nips wrote: »
    Not a fluke!

Now...onto...Locusts.

Ugh.

Word of advice: Get used to playing the game at the speed of plaid all the time. Never stop moving, never stop twisting, always stay aware of your surroundings and know what you can duck behind/beside/around.

Good luck!
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Alternatively, just put like a single ERLL or ERPPC or something and just pretend you are a super mobile turret.

:( Thanks.

I am not really a fan of lights, the closest I typically come is Cicadas which I guess are big lights, and I was happiest back when it was viable to play the -3M as a 2xERPPC pocket sniper. (It's really not any more, the heat is awful)

I have builds set up for the -3M and -3S but I'm damned if I can figure out a fit that works on the -1V. I think that's the one that people do just put a single ERLL on but god that feels awful to me.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Not a fluke!

Now...onto...Locusts.

Ugh.

Good luck!

I am not really a fan of lights, the closest I typically come is Cicadas which I guess are big lights, and I was happiest back when it was viable to play the -3M as a 2xERPPC pocket sniper. (It's really not any more, the heat is awful)

I have builds setup for the -3M and -3S but I'm damned if I can figure out a fit that works on the -1V. I think that's the one that people do just put a single ERLL on but god that feels awful to me.

I cant think of mech that could be more miserable to grind than a Locust.

Only because you have to run it with a max engine to survive, which leaves little room for weapons and cooling.

I'd take mastering black knights over the locust, and I fucking hate them more than any other mech in my stable (and I spent the grabbag holiday eliting one and speed tweaking another)

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Not a fluke!

Now...onto...Locusts.

Ugh.

Good luck!

I have builds setup for the -3M and -3S but I'm damned if I can figure out a fit that works on the -1V. I think that's the one that people do just put a single ERLL on but god that feels awful to me.

Only because you have to run it with a max engine to survive, which leaves little room for weapons and cooling.

I'd take mastering black knights over the locust, and I fucking hate them more than any other mech in my stable (and I spent the grabbag holiday eliting one and speed tweaking another)
    Well, that extra premium time you gifted me will surely help, so thanks again for that.

Yeah, I'm mildly infuriated by the balancing act of Weight vs Space, given you need to run extra heatsinks since the engines are so small, but you barely have the space or weight to do anything after that with all the crits and so on taken up.

This is what I ended up coming up with for these mechs:
    LCT-3M - 5xSPL
    LCT-3S - 4xSRM2, 1xSL
    LCT-1V - 4xMG, 1xMPL

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    there is nothing like being the last one on your team, in a light mech, and taking out an entire lance of assaults/heavies for the win

holy shit what a rush

This is what I live for when I play MWO. There's a lot of jank to the game that old-hats and bittervets can easily see, but when the game works in your favour that feeling is incredible and no other multiplayer game, let alone mech game has scratched that itch in the same way for me.

• Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    The LCT-3S was the worst, I think I finally ended up with 2xLRM5 and maybe a TAG. Just the worst mech...

All of the other Locusts are fun in that tweaker on expresso sort of way.

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    there is nothing like being the last one on your team, in a light mech, and taking out an entire lance of assaults/heavies for the win

holy shit what a rush

This is what I live for when I play MWO. There's a lot of jank to the game that old-hats and bittervets can easily see, but when the game works in your favour that feeling is incredible and no other multiplayer game, let alone mech game has scratched that itch in the same way for me.

I want to agree with this a thousand times. It doesn't happen nearly as often as it should, which is borderline criminal, but when the game lines up for you it is a feeling that is hard to describe.

Getting the once in a blue moon magic moment where you end up behind an entirely unaware enemy assault lance and proceed to rain fire and brimstone upon them makes the game worth it no matter how many times you lose for one reason or another.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Not a fluke!

Now...onto...Locusts.

Ugh.

Good luck!

This isn't completely true. Given that many other light 'Mechs are now topping out in the 130 KPH range or even less, you no longer need a max engine for escape velocity. Depending on the build, you can cut down to a 180 or even a 170 if you need the tonnage.

The problem I've run into most times is that you become crit locked very quickly between an XL engine, required DHS-outside-the-engine, and Endo/Ferro. It's hard to shave things to tetris them into fitting on a Locust.
    Pro-Tip: Shave armor from the arms, and a good chunk from the cockpit. I've literally never take a shot to the head in that 'Mech, and running as low as sub-10 has never hurt me. And most of the arms are so stubby and small (and have quirks to compensate) that you're most likely to lose a torso before an arm.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Not a fluke!

Now...onto...Locusts.

Ugh.

Good luck!

This isn't completely true. Given that many other light 'Mechs are now topping out in the 130 KPH range or even less, you no longer need a max engine for escape velocity. Depending on the build, you can cut down to a 180 or even a 170 if you need the tonnage.

The problem I've run into most times is that you become crit locked very quickly between an XL engine, required DHS-outside-the-engine, and Endo/Ferro. It's hard to shave things to tetris them into fitting on a Locust.
    Pro-Tip: Shave armor from the arms, and a good chunk from the cockpit. I've literally never take a shot to the head in that 'Mech, and running as low as sub-10 has never hurt me. And most of the arms are so stubby and small (and have quirks to compensate) that you're most likely to lose a torso before an arm.
    Unfortunately, I absolutely refuse to waste more money and buy another engine down here for this mech, so I'm just going to stick using the 160. The lack of true escape velocity is kind of a downer but I'm kinda making it work by jetting around between buildings or just not trying to fight enemy lights much if I can at all help it.

(It's not really working these matches are awful, my best so far is 200 damage)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Locusts are the best learner mech for light pilots in the game. Once you master them, you will understand how to be a great light pilot. You think that a Firestarter is good or Artic Cheetah? They are insane once you put a Locust pilot in them. They are my first mech I ever mastered and still proud to run them. The Pirate's Bane is probably the best out of the bunch, but the 1V has a soft spot in my heart for it as well.

LCT-3V <- Mini Thunderbolt 5SS
    LCT-1V <- with ERLL range and ERLL cooldown this thing is still a beast.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Not a fluke!

Now...onto...Locusts.

Ugh.

Good luck!

Yeah but the locust is also the least armored mech in the game, so I would say you need that speed armor.

and its funny to hear you recommend cockpit armor shaving, considering how many times I've seen you get cockpitted by everything from artillery and airstrikes to LRMs and lasers...mostly the arty and airstrikes though :razz:

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    PGI claims its too hard to have asymmetrical drops like 12v10

I imagine they don't have the population to support this with reasonable wait times, especially if there's a bias towards running clan 'Mechs.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    All 75 tickets redeemed no mech. I am annoyed.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

I imagine they don't have the population to support this with reasonable wait times, especially if there's a bias towards running clan 'Mechs.

You do realize that by reducing the number of clans per drop in CW, you are increasing the effective population in relation to IS?

Which means, reducing the number of clanners per drop will increase the number of groups on their side which means it will reduce wait times.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

You do realize that by reducing the number of clans per drop in CW, you are increasing the effective population in relation to IS?

Which means, reducing the number of clanners per drop will increase the number of groups on their side which means it will reduce wait times.

But...their matchmaker will break if you make that split! I mean, code that's held together with dreams and unicorn tears can be stretched only so far...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

You've got it backwards. If you want to balance by having the superior clan mechs having smaller teams, then you need to convince the majority of the players to play in the weaker IS mechs.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

You've got it backwards. If you want to balance by having the superior clan mechs having smaller teams, then you need to convince the majority of the players to play in the weaker IS mechs.

That won't be too difficult since most people don't have the cash or cbills to build a clan drop deck.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »

That won't be too difficult since most people don't have the cash or cbills to build a clan drop deck.

I would say that 90%> of people who start the game start as IS because cheap mechs, then eventually drop cash money for clan stuff because its too impractical even for someone like @HydroSqueegee to buy many clanmechs via cbills.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I ran with the [2323] folks last night from the FRR Teamspeak, and it was a blast to be winning CW games for a change. After three games straight of pub-stomping, we decided to screw around and all run our lightest mech first round out. Which was a mistake, because we got dropped against team [RUDE], who to a man ran: Dire Wolf, Timber Wolf, Arctic Cheetah, Myst Lynx. We were counter-attacking, and after the first wave we had 2 kills to their 12. After the second wave, it was 14 to 26. We managed to get up to 42-42 at one point, but lost at 45-48 in the end. It was an absolute blast.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    The clan mechs really aren't more expensive once you add in the cost of double heatsinks, endo steel, and a good engine. If you're a vet you might already have a library of engines and can skip that cost, but it is a very real concern for new players.

IS players also need to keep chasing the sun as our best mechs get their quirks nerfed and underplayed mechs get huge quirk buffs.

In contrast the clan player can get by fine with just Arctic cheetah, storm crows, Timber wolf/ebj, and dire wolf to cover each weight class. With the revolving door of IS viability, I'd argue that it is cheaper playing clan. Especially if you're concerned about outfitting your stable with multiple playstyles. If you want a laser boat, ballistic mech, and missile boat, then an IS player needs to purchase three different mech families that have quirks that compliment those playstyles. The clan player purchases a timber wolf or ebj and just swaps around omni-pods at a cost that is cheaper than buying a new mech.

"IS is cheaper "is practically rent-to-own level of deception.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    The clan mechs really aren't more expensive once you add in the cost of double heatsinks, endo steel, and a good engine. If you're a vet you might already have a library of engines and can skip that cost, but it is a very real concern for new players.

IS players also need to keep chasing the sun as our best mechs get their quirks nerfed and underplayed mechs get huge quirk buffs.

In contrast the clan player can get by fine with just Arctic cheetah, storm crows, Timber wolf/ebj, and dire wolf to cover each weight class. With the revolving door of IS viability, I'd argue that it is cheaper playing clan. Especially if you're concerned about outfitting your stable with multiple playstyles. If you want a laser boat, ballistic mech, and missile boat, then an IS player needs to purchase three different mech families that have quirks that compliment those playstyles. The clan player purchases a timber wolf or ebj and just swaps around omni-pods at a cost that is cheaper than buying a new mech.

"IS is cheaper "is practically rent-to-own level of deception.

The barrier to entry is lower, and they can be run stock in some configurations or at least with minor, low cost, alterations.

Plus the number of IS mechs that need an XL engine is low, Practically only the lightest lights run FF, and there are an alarming number of builds that don't even need Endo. All of which means cheaper mechs.

DHS is an issue though and I'll give you that.

As for omnipods, that's a moot point, still need 3 or more to elite/master, and if you want to run multiples on a dropdeck.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

I would say that 90%> of people who start the game start as IS because cheap mechs, then eventually drop cash money for clan stuff because its too impractical even for someone like @HydroSqueegee to buy many clanmechs via cbills.

The problem is I have an addiction to pokemech and have to collect them all. Since I can't play for 6 hours a day, it's easier to work a real job for a day and drop the cash on a mech pack.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

The problem is I have an addiction to pokemech and have to collect them all. Since I can't play for 6 hours a day, it's easier to work a real job for a day and drop the cash on a mech pack.

Speaking of Pokemech.

Why is there a pokeball in the cockpit of every resistance mech

• Options
    Subliminal messaging .

• Options
    http://mwomercs.com/news/2015/12/1446-faction-play-clan-tonnage-changes
    Greetings MechWarriors,

Clan DropShip division Commanders have instituted the following increase to their Faction Play tonnage limits:

All Clan Factions: DropDeck tonnage limits have been increased from 160-250 tonnes to 160-255 tonnes until further notice.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Greetings MechWarriors,

Clan DropShip division Commanders have instituted the following increase to their Faction Play tonnage limits:

All Clan Factions: DropDeck tonnage limits have been increased from 160-250 tonnes to 160-255 tonnes until further notice.

Trip-TWolf + Arctic Cheetah decks incoming!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    because god forbid the clans be left out when IS is given something meant ot balance the game against the fucking clans

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Greetings MechWarriors,

God damnit.

I know the players love their fatties, and PGI has to kowtow, but I'd love to see them drop the weight tonnage to something crazy low. Like, below 200/220.

• Options
    Greetings MechWarriors,

God damnit.

I know the players love their fatties, and PGI has to kowtow, but I'd love to see them drop the weight tonnage to something crazy low. Like, below 200/220.

IS should have a 285t dropdeck, and clans should have 220t.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I'm never playing clans because fucking clans

but this is a decades-long thing though, and not everyone will be as massively bitter

i was considering one of the steam packs but they all have clan mechs : /

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Greetings MechWarriors,

God damnit.

Just up both sides to 400 and quit this game of balancing.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Greetings MechWarriors,

God damnit.

4 King Crab drop would be delightful.

• Options
    Greetings MechWarriors,

God damnit.

Counterpoint: 100t max. More hilarity per ton than the fatties can provide!

• Options
    Greetings MechWarriors,

God damnit.

Counterpoint: 100t max. More hilarity per ton than the fatties can provide!

Urbanmechs...Urbanmechs as far as the eye can see

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, I think they're probably more concerned with faction population balance in regards to the tonnage. MS switched from Clan to IS along with another big unit. Clan populations were already fairly low and now it's even worse. You'd think there'd be more clanners if they were really that OP. Easy CW wins sounds good to me.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Also, mechbay sale, 50% off, get em while they're hot.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2015/12/1445-new-years-resolution-sale

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Whatever side the big groups are wins CW , just because they will always go to the same side so they can avoid each other and fight pugs. What CW needs is matchmaking , if it cant support it then its dead anyway and just fucking kill the thing.

Edit- Thanks for the games guys, after dreamer and our fearless leader had to run me and padre turned into super griffon bros! I even saw him charge headlong into a fresh king crab , didnt turn out well but it was super hype!

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I'm never playing clans because fucking clans

but this is a decades-long thing though, and not everyone will be as massively bitter

i was considering one of the steam packs but they all have clan mechs : /

Steam packs are bad m'kay. Get the resistance packs or some of the classic mech packs instead. :D

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski