As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah I never got a good feel for Odyssey’s naval combat. Just didn’t feel as good as Black Flag. I mostly avoided it unless a mission made me do it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I really like it but there’s just some thing to be said for cannons feeling better than arrow volleys. I love when spears do the slow mo kill, and I like ramming, but yeah outside of that it’s not as fun, but I don’t think it’s down to any real gameplay reason, just the feel of the different eras weaponry

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Probably for the best. I’ve spent 112 hours in that game doing the bare minimum naval stuff. If it clicked for me...

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Start combat with a ram, only arrow and spear when you're positioning for another ram, just keep ramming.

This is Ancient Greece, melee is still king even on the water.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Started playing again, apparently forgot how to fight and am now getting destroyed by just one merc. Did they re-tune combat, or did I forget how to be a badass?

Man, they put in transmog. They are truly the best devs ever.

• Options
    Transmog is awesome. I use the Artemis armour for my Hunter Kassandra, but I get bored of the tribal look so regularly I transmog it into the Amazon set and I run around looking like Wonder Woman.

• Options
    So the first hour or so back was traumatic for poor Kassandra as she was killed over and over and over, but by the end of the weekend she was back to mudering a whole fort, the reinforcements plus 4-5 mercs all at once. Banged out both world boss style Cyclops, although the fights weren't super satisfying. Also odd to not get an artifact from either after dispatching the story one.

I'd used the bow/hunter build sparingly before - mostly as a retreat, build adrenaline, and get in a heal then re-enage with melee. I actually sat down this weekend and upgraded the Artemis set to my current level and engraved it all along with a decent bow. Sure I had to go into camp to kill that one cultist, because he was sleeping in a hut - but I was able to kill every single other person in the camp plus the reinforcements and 3 mercs with a bow from a nearby plateau that overlooked the fort at my leisure. Scoring 1m or so headshots on people was a bit much.

Down to 2, maybe three cultists left including the central figure who I was sure I'd figured out before I took a hiatus from the game, but now can't remember for the life of me who it was. Some of the reveals were fairly obvious, of the ones I dispatched this weekend.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Any word on when the next chapter of Atlantis drops?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    This is the second of three right?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Yup!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Is it just me or is Kassandra really tall compared to a lot of NPCs?

She's also got a good bit of muscle on her.

Really like this character design, she's an amazon lady.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yup!

Cool i'll be able to buy it soon then. I hate episodic stuff. Give me it all at once.

• Options

Yup!

Cool i'll be able to buy it soon then. I hate episodic stuff. Give me it all at once.

It's actually set up to be broken up... although they way they did it in the first part at least was kind of hilarious/infuriating, depending on your opinion.

With Legacy of the First Blade, it's explicit that time passes between each episode, so you can do other quests and stuff between them.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I've still not played the first part because I've been shooting robot dogs in the Division, so I'll probably wait until the last part is out if I'm honest. Looking forward to it though!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Maybe it's meant to be broken up but i've already done everything in the game at this point so i'd not be doing anything else between episodes anyway, i'd just put the game down until the next part released.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Mark me down as also greatly preferring that an entire DLC drop at once.

As for ship combat, i enjoy it, especially once
    the flame thrower
    got added to the front. I think the cannons are more aesthetically appealing, but shooting flaming arrows at things has some appeal. Also, the voice actress for kassandra does a good job with the ship fighting lines.

But it kind of makes me want a pirate game with some of the same engine improvements as odyssey with an equally huge open world.

soylenth on
  • Options
    soylenth wrote: »

the flame thrower
    got added to the front. I think the cannons are more aesthetically appealing, but shooting flaming arrows at things has some appeal. Also, the voice actress for kassandra does a good job with the ship fighting lines.

But it kind of makes me want a pirate game with some of the same engine improvements as odyssey with an equally huge open world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzM067mmIgY

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Didn't they just delay skull and bones though?

(But yes, I will be buying that just as soon as it's available...)

Meanwhile, i still have HD remakes of rogue and AC3 to play through.

soylenth on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Kassandra really tall compared to a lot of NPCs?

She's also got a good bit of muscle on her.

Really like this character design, she's an amazon lady.

Thankfully yes, she's not some scrawny Hollywood waif. Only the really big lugs are bigger and those come in both sexes as well too. I liked the final Olympic fight when you go up against the champ, I opened with an overpower combo and he just went to the dirt instantly, it was beautiful.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Kassandra makes all but the most absurd video game males look weak. She's fucken built.

• Options
    I remember grabbing some mod for skyrim way back when that turned every woman in the game into a ripped version that could stand alongside any of the male NPCs.

Even the old ladies.

"Could you lift this heavy weight for an old lady, dragonborn? I think I strained myself this morning while doing my 1000 pull ups."

• Options

the flame thrower

Woah..

WOAH.

Hold up.

Where do I find this flamethrower? Is it a main story mission thing?

After unlocking the cult and spear upgrade options, I've pretty much just been doing nothing but exploration and sidequests.

• Options

the flame thrower

Woah..

WOAH.

Hold up.

After unlocking the cult and spear upgrade options, I've pretty much just been doing nothing but exploration and sidequests.

Legacy of the Hidden Blade, episode 2.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

the flame thrower

Woah..

WOAH.

Hold up.

Legacy of the Hidden Blade, episode 2.
    Damn.

Gonna do all the base content before I get to the DLC. Thats fine tho.

Ramming will get me by.

• Options
    Finished it. Just DLC and side stories now.
    Saved Deimos so he and Stentor could ruin family dinner. Put a big ole smoocher on Aspasia and then let her go, all told the ending was pretty satisfying, with some of the big villains not really winding up villains.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Interesting mechanic that just got introduced in the 2nd episode of Fate of Atlantis which just came out:
    In order to combat the spirits of the fallen or whatever you have to "cross over" which means interacting with a portal that decreases your max health by 50%. I don't know yet if there's fights which involve enemies on "both sides" that will require you to switch back and forth but even if not, I guess they found a creative way of trying to make combat slightly more challenging for folks who have gotten used to being OP.

I don't want to give any story spoilers away but I've only done about an hour of quests so far and the story has really grabbed me in a way that the first episode didn't.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    I had a week off from work and finally finished play through of the base game completing all the Odyssey quests. Took me about 60 hours and I have a few thoughts.

1.) Overpower Bow Shot makes Conquest Battles both laughably easy and incredibly fun
    2.) Roxana is bae (do people still say bae?)
    3.) The Ghost was a genuine surprise.

l28hf69in70r.jpg

Looking forward to playing more and maybe getting DLC when it's cheap!

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    I thought the telegraphed the Ghost pretty hard. For me it was more of a ‘I really hope it’s not’.

• Options
    The second hint I got for The Ghost pretty easily gave the whole game away, since
    There's literally only one character in the game who is 1)a woman, and 2)controls Athenian politics.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    It was either someone we knew and therefore obvious or someone totally unknown and therefore disappointing and confusing.

The new DLC is a lot of fun, cool looking area chock full of nice loot.

Oh no, I had a feeling I'd run into in the new dlc:
    Phoibe. This is going to be sad.

EnclaveofGnomes on
  • Options
    I'm going to a concert tonight but I can't wait to dig in to the new zone!

• Options
    I'm wondering how committed they are to this live service thing, I'm down for far more odyssey personally. Kassandra is the most interesting protag they've had imo. But are they already working on the next game?

Anyway end of the latest dlc spoilers.
    Cliffhanger and really bizarre in present sequence where the main character's friend does something completely loopy that makes no sense...and the main character does something even more loopy in response, I'm completely disconnected from the present events now and consider them the simulation where weird shit just happens...not the one where I'm in Elysium talking to Greek Gods that makes sense. I honestly don't know if the writers are in communication, it feels like two seperate teams are writing both sections with only the barest knowledge of the shared goal they're trying to tell.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Ok they most recent free lost tales of Greece quest chain is hilarious, I can’t believe how good all these free missions have been

• Options
    I mean, personally I want Odyssey to end so I can actually go back and play the HD Rogue and AC3 I have waiting .... games need to end. It's good for games to end.

In other news, I'm loving the latest DLC chapter. Really fun throwbacks and I dig the increase in difficulty. I'm still not sure how to make best use of a jack-of-all-trades armor set though.

• Options
    Personally hate games ending. Fun time stops now, no thanks. It's also not like there's a shortage of those games, I'm definitely in the market for genuine live service single player games. There's no shortage of games claiming to be that nebulous term but a genuine MMO like update scheduled single player game. That's rare. Mostly just those also multiplayer minecrafty types.

One of the new armor sets in the store not only looks badass but has really cool stats, including immunity to being set on fire. The side effect of which means you can walk in lava, the herakles armor.

• Options
    How do we see the voice actor credits for the DLC? I swear I've heard the VA for Hades in The Secret World...

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    How do we see the voice actor credits for the DLC? I swear I've heard the VA for Hades in The Secret World...

IMDB lists it.

• Options
    Raynaga wrote: »

IMDB lists it.

For Fate of Atlantis? No, it lists 4 voice actors, hardly comprehensive.

• Options
    Confiscated is now officially the best Asassin's Creed sidequest.

"Oh he screamed, but not in agony."