As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    So in all the previews for this game it’s kinda bugging me that all the statues are white marble

from what I understand, the ancient Greeks would paint their statues and not just leave them white
    https://youtu.be/pGpNBrix7Hk

I’m sure it was done for reasons but I really would have liked to see that

That was the first thing I noticed. I was hoping that everything would be painted colorfully, but it was just white. I may have frowned very hard at my screen.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Abstergo has gone on record as saying it would be too expensive to render painted statues in the Animus :P
    To be a tiny bit fair to Ubisoft, this is the third AC in a row to have a good female character at the forefront.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was just poking a little fun at em. Out of the big "AAA" publishers, Ubisoft is my favorite. They can't avoid the fuckery and kinda shitty business practices that come with the territory, but they do consistently put out pretty good games.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »

"I know ancient Greece followed Christianity..." :lol:

Whats kind of depressing is that... he's NOT wrong. Ancient Greece WAS very Christian, and was a gateway for spreading Christianity from the near east to the west. There are two books in the Bible called Corinthians....

And then, yeah, he's SO wrong, because if you take it back JUUUUUUST a little bit further, not that far actually... barely a hop skip and a jump from Christ, so many Greek men were screwing other men that you can write articles about how women were barely considered people in some places. Like, points for effort, but good Lord dude. I've gotten my morning laugh.

It's in 431 BC.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The excuse that Abstergo strives to present the past as people "expect" it would be, rather than it actually would be, is an incredible lampshade to excuse any historical inaccuracies/anachronisms.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I’d bet real actual money that someone at Ubisoft suggested painting the statues, and then they actually did it and thought it looked too weird.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah the few statues left with paint or the recreations of them painted all look very odd

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I’d bet real actual money that someone at Ubisoft suggested painting the statues, and then they actually did it and thought it looked too weird.

Except they did it in a bunch of places in Origins and it looked fine?

Notably, the Ptolemy statues

In a similar vein, the Great Pyramid was in the proper white with an electrum cap, and that didn’t look weird

Joolander on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    And the Great Sphinx was notably colorful.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »

Except they did it in a bunch of places in Origins and it looked fine?

Notably, the Ptolemy statues

In a similar vein, the Great Pyramid was in the proper white with an electrum cap, and that didn’t look weird
    I mean, sure, but the Ptolemy statues aren’t a part of the western cultural history like (inaccurate) unpainted busts. Also, it is a bit surprising that they would ignore this research, but be somewhat forward thinking about that chamber in the Great Pyramid that was finally proven around the time of ACO’s release.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The Ptolemy statues weren't painted marble though, they were sandstone. When you broke them, the pieces weren't white with a painted side, they were completely brown.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Massena wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »

"I know ancient Greece followed Christianity..." :lol:

Whats kind of depressing is that... he's NOT wrong. Ancient Greece WAS very Christian, and was a gateway for spreading Christianity from the near east to the west. There are two books in the Bible called Corinthians....

And then, yeah, he's SO wrong, because if you take it back JUUUUUUST a little bit further, not that far actually... barely a hop skip and a jump from Christ, so many Greek men were screwing other men that you can write articles about how women were barely considered people in some places. Like, points for effort, but good Lord dude. I've gotten my morning laugh.

It's in 431 BC.

I know that. I suppose my post hinges on how broadly you want to define "ancient". 2nd and 3rd century AD is pretty ancient, and Greece was fairly Christian by 4th century AD. But yeah, the notion that there is no history before Christianity.... nevermind in GREECE of all places.... is so ridiculous I'm not even sure it's possible to not know that.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    My point is that it doesn't fucking matter how Christian or Orthodox Greece is, it's 4 centuries before Christianity was even a concept. Don't engage stupid people on their level.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Not to mention that ancient Christianity, particularly pre-Augustine, was super-different from today's doctrines... but it doesn't matter anyway for this game.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    RPG is a fairly ambiguous and not very well defined term.

If you're talking about literally "playing a role" then the player needs to be given enough agency to make decisions and act as that character would act. You aren't playing a role if you're on a guided tour and all of the decisions are made for you.

One of the things I love about watching PA's C-Team broadcasts is that the players often struggle with the idea of "how would my character react versus how I would react." Sometimes if you are truly roleplaying you have to make bad or dumb decisions because that fits the character. And gaming it and min/maxing is not really roleplaying.

Like, I tend to agree with you. I don't consider JRPGs to be roleplaying because there is very rarely any decision making. They're just interactive stories.

And yet the industry has all sorts of sub-genres of RPG. You have the action RPG (like Diablo), the Tactics RPG (like Fire Emblem), the JRPG (like Final Fantasy), the WRPG (like Elder Scrolls) and not all of those really give the player much agency to make decisions and play the role of the character they are portraying. Some do, but not all.

Strictly speaking, the Bioware games, the Witcher games, the Bethesda games, and a few others - games that actually let you make meaningful choices, those are what I would consider to be true roleplaying games because you're actually taking on the persona of a character while you're playing.

To call a game like Diablo an RPG means you also have to call a game like Doom an RPG, because your interaction with the world and with the character(s) is exactly the same in those games. Only the perspective and the interface is what separates them.

RPG is pretty well-defined.
    A rocket-propelled grenade (often abbreviated RPG) is a shoulder-fired anti-tank weapon system that fires rockets equipped with an explosive warhead. Most RPGs can be carried by an individual soldier. These warheads are affixed to a rocket motor which propels the RPG towards the target and they are stabilized in flight with fins. Some types of RPG are reloadable with new rocket-propelled grenades, while others are single-use. RPGs, with some exceptions, are generally loaded from the muzzle.[1]

RPGs with high explosive anti-tank warheads (HEAT) are very effective against armored vehicles such as armoured personnel carriers (APCs). However, heavily armored vehicles from the 2010s, such as main battle tanks, are generally too well armored (with thick composite and/or reactive armor) to be penetrated by an RPG, unless less armored sections of vehicle are exploited. Various warheads are also capable of causing secondary damage to vulnerable systems (especially sights, tracks, rear and roof of turrets) and other unarmored targets.

The term "rocket-propelled grenade" is, strictly speaking, a backronym; it stems from the Russian language РПГ or ручной противотанковый гранатомёт (transliterated as "ruchnoy protivotankovy granatomyot"), meaning "hand-held anti-tank grenade launcher", the name given to early Russian designs.[2][3][4]

I'm just not sure why an Assassin's Creed game set in Ancient Greece would have rockets or grenades or rocket grenades and why people are so enthused about them.

Then again, imagine if Ezio had an RPG...

[/bit]

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I mean, the Ezio trilogy basically took this quote about a kind of RPG player as a dare...
    Munchkin: One who, on being told that this is a game about politics and intrigue in 17th century Italy, asks to play as a ninja.

• Options
    Dual wielding Leonidas' spear and a sword looks fun. There's a move you can do where you stab an enemy's shield with the spear and rip it away, leaving them defenseless. Man, I haven't been looking forward like this to a new Assassin's Creed in a long time.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    So, when Assassin's Creed: Origins came out, I didn't like it. It didn't click for me at all and I felt like it was just a bunch of repetitive nonsense quests even worse than past Assassin's Creed games. I had played for nearly 10 hours and hadn't touched it since last December.

Well, this morning I deleted my save and started over and now I'm loving it. Not sure why my opinion has so drastically changed. *shrug*. I actually played for longer, today, than my previous save was from multiple sit downs in Nov/Dec last year (my profile was at 9:58 before - when I logged off just now it was like 10:04).

So I guess that's good?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'm sometimes the same with games, even movies and shows, you sometimes just have an impression you can't shake, your mood, your stress or expectations, it can be for overt and rationalised reasons, or something youre not even aware of consciously. and often when you come back at another approach, or even just another go around things click that didn't before, you notice stuff or don't notice other stuff, etc

Prohass on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Also, I don’t feel Origins made a particularly strong first impression. Early quests were pretty boring, Siwah just wasn’t an interesting place, and the systems that make combat interesting don’t unlock for a good 10 hours.

It was a bit of a slog before the game started to hit its stride. But once it does it’s fantastic.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

In AssFlag there was an Animus note that was basically, "We know this church is an anachronism but it's a cool church so we futzed with the time line", so I'm expecting a similar situation here.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    For me combat got a lot better when I realised you don't really need to lock on outside of boss fights and certain rare occasions

Prohass on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've been playing Unity lately. I'm a bit behind on my Assassin's Creed games, so now I'm playing catchup, because I've got the Odyssey fever bad.

I know at launch Unity was plagued by a lot of technical bugs and weird issues, and I know that they got most of the problems patched out. I bought the game back when it was new, but heard about the problems so I decided to wait on it, and waiting on it turned into backlog.

And I'm just now getting around to it.

So there's a lot of good here. I was afraid going in that I was headed for a miserable time, based on a lot of rhetoric on the internet and obvious hyperbole.

The game isn't bad at all. In fact, I'm rather enjoying the story.

At least for now it seems to be a French version of Romeo and Juliet, with Arno and Elise being from different houses/factions and therefore enemies and incompatible according to everybody else. And the love story here is pretty fun. So far. I'm not done yet, but like I say, I'm enjoying it quite a bit right now.

But at the same time as I say that, I feel like Arno doesn't have much personality. Most of the cutscenes with him and the Assassin's Brotherhood can be summed up like this:

--Bearded guy who was his mentor calls him Pisspot
    --Old rotund guy who seems to be the guildmaster yells at him for some random dumb thing
    --They give him a mission

Arno's personality just isn't given much time to come out or flourish, not like past games. I still think to this day, Ezio is the best protagonist in series, just because the writing in his trilogy, especially in AC2 really gave us a fun, endearing protagonist that everybody could get behind and root for. Arno on the other hand is just pretty bland because the story seems focused on other things and not on the player character.

That complaint aside, I'm really not minding the game.

Paris is beautifully constructed. Climbing around on Notre Dame cathedral is wonderful. And the city feels very alive with how many people they have managed to cram on the screen.

So anyway, I'm enjoying Unity quite a bit.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I feel like Unity would have been a far, far stronger game if Elise had been the protagonist. For one thing, it would have better complimented Rogue, by reversing the direction of that game and going from Templar to Assassin. I think that it would have also allowed for a less wishy-washy story. Elise could have started the game fully on board with a Templar plan to bring down the monarchy, and then as the Terror escalated she could come to realize that she was on the wrong side.

Instead, we got a bit of a muddle of a plot, where they tried to do something with different factions of Templars, and I don't think that it worked very well.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Unity has the best free-running/parkour in the whole franchise, but I felt that it's story is probably the worst in AC history. It just felt so pointless by the end.

Also, another cool Odyssey combat thing is that if you're using a regular spear, you can do that sweet Brad Pitt Achilles superman punch leap-stab with it.

• Options
    Really, I only have 2 complaints about the gameplay in Unity.

1) Sometimes Arno gets confused on corners and ledges, and their context-sensitive parkour just stops working. It's like the context picker gets in a state where it can't decide on contextual priority and so it just does nothing. Like it gets petrified by its choices, so it doesn't do anything at all. And it happens more often than I'd like. Corners of buildings seem to be the worst, where there are usually 3-4 contextual options available. It makes free running a very stop and go process, because very often I have to stop and make Arno dance around in a little circle and reposition him slightly in order for their context picker to allow me to advance.

Context-sensitive is good in theory, but I really wish I could do manual overrides sometimes and force him to behave when he gets stuck.

Also, regarding context-sensitive parkour, I've noticed that Arno really struggles with getting into windows. Which is weird because the game is designed with going in and out of buildings as a major gameplay point. And to that note, I love how many buildings have their interiors rendered for the player to explore. But getting through the window is a major chore with the movement system. Very often Arno tries to climb the window, or jump onto the window, or shuffle from side to side on the window. And actually going through the window is a pretty major headache.

2) Combat breaks sometimes. I've had fights where Arno gets stuck in a combat pose, but I cannot swing my sword. He gets completely frozen. And the only way I've found to fix this when he gets frozen is to break line of sight (not always easy) and have his combat stance basically reset itself. This happens to enemies sometimes too. They get frozen and stuck in an animation, and when that happens I can't attack them anymore.

• Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Unity's combat. Also the worst combat in AC history IMO. These games always made you feel like a highly skilled trained killer. Then Unity comes along and Arno can easily get smacked around by one or two common street thugs...

• Options
    I don't feel weak. Most of the time combat feels fine to me. Just sometimes characters freeze.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I'm sometimes the same with games, even movies and shows, you sometimes just have an impression you can't shake, your mood, your stress or expectations, it can be for overt and rationalised reasons, or something youre not even aware of consciously. and often when you come back at another approach, or even just another go around things click that didn't before, you notice stuff or don't notice other stuff, etc

I also made a ton more progress in ten hours the second time around.

• Options
    Actually, my biggest praise of Unity so far is that they haven't pulled me out of the animus. Like at all. I'm on Sequence 6 now (midway) and I took a break to do the Dead Kings DLC, and in all that time, which I'm guessing is around 15-20 hours of gameplay, they haven't pulled me out of the animus even once. That's a huge plus.

I hate losing my momentum on the main story to have a bunch of nonsensical real life blathering take place with sci-fi this and that.

I always hated the real world stuff, even when it had a unified overarching story. But it's even worse now that the real world stuff is all fragmented and completely random.

• Options
    Origins and Odyssey appear to be a return to a cohesive modern day story arc centered around a fixed character, so that's good. Origins was funny, at first I was all "oh fuck off" when they pulled me out of the animus. By the end, I was pretty interested in what was happening. I'm just as excited to see what's going on with Layla in Odyssey as I am for the ancient Greek RPG inside the animus. Though, if you don't like the modern day stuff, I believe it's been stated that you can pretty much ignore it in Odyssey.

Really loving how Origins and now Odyssey are revitalizing this series :^:

• Options
    Actually, my biggest praise of Unity so far is that they haven't pulled me out of the animus. Like at all. I'm on Sequence 6 now (midway) and I took a break to do the Dead Kings DLC, and in all that time, which I'm guessing is around 15-20 hours of gameplay, they haven't pulled me out of the animus even once. That's a huge plus.

I hate losing my momentum on the main story to have a bunch of nonsensical real life blathering take place with sci-fi this and that.

I always hated the real world stuff, even when it had a unified overarching story. But it's even worse now that the real world stuff is all fragmented and completely random.

The reason they couldn’t pull you out of the animus is due to the hundreds of thousands of millions of collectibles in Unity. Even Ubisoft doesn’t want you playing the same game for eternity - only until their next game comes out.

Also, obligatory “nerfing the real world stuff is the worst decision they ever made” comment because that was the main draw of the series for me.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

The reason they couldn’t pull you out of the animus is due to the hundreds of thousands of millions of collectibles in Unity. Even Ubisoft doesn’t want you playing the same game for eternity - only until their next game comes out.

Also, obligatory “nerfing the real world stuff is the worst decision they ever made” comment because that was the main draw of the series for me.

I've generally wanted to enjoy the real world stuff - the bits with Layla were my favorite parts of Origins by far - but I feel like they've been really hit-and-miss. Basically, I enjoyed the real world stuff until Lucy was killed off, and I enjoyed seeing the Shaun and Rebecca stuff in Syndicate (though it made no sense for them to be seen by the initiate - the frame story sucked), and I enjoyed Layla's story to date. Generally, between the end of Brotherhood and Origins, the real world stuff was bad.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I don't think I would mind the real world stuff nearly as much if it were completely different. I know how that sounds.

But like... the whole "harvesting your ancestral memories through your blood" thing. It's just so stupid.

Why couldn't they just make it a lot less tech-voodoo and say something like "We have this simulation, and it's really dangerous, and since you're our prisoner we're gonna make you run the simulation and retrieve memories for us. You might die. But if you don't do it we'll kill you so you might as well try."

That would have been a better story to me (for Desmond). I just don't like the whole DNA holds literal memories thing.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Origins and Odyssey appear to be a return to a cohesive modern day story arc centered around a fixed character, so that's good. Origins was funny, at first I was all "oh fuck off" when they pulled me out of the animus. By the end, I was pretty interested in what was happening. I'm just as excited to see what's going on with Layla in Odyssey as I am for the ancient Greek RPG inside the animus. Though, if you don't like the modern day stuff, I believe it's been stated that you can pretty much ignore it in Odyssey.

I legit don't even know what happened in the real world parts of Origins. I skipped the cutscenes and all convos and just went back in every time. Which made the last real world part all sorts of weird. But I am glad they allowed you to skip through that stuff pretty quickly if you so choose. I hope they keep it easily skippable in the next one too.

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    So all this talk of Unity made me long to run around Paris again a stabbin. But I wanted to do it with a fresh character and it seems there is only one save file? Is that true or am I completely blind?

• Options

I legit don't even know what happened in the real world parts of Origins. I skipped the cutscenes and all convos and just went back in every time. Which made the last real world part all sorts of weird. But I am glad they allowed you to skip through that stuff pretty quickly if you so choose. I hope they keep it easily skippable in the next one too.

It's pretty interesting IMO
    Layla works for Abstergo, but is tired of being overlooked for bigger projects. She decides that wowing the higer-ups is the best way to get a promotion, and begins working on an unauthorized project in secret with the help of her friend, also an Abstergo employee. Layla comes up with a portable-ish animus that doesn't require an ancestor to access memories, Abstergo finds out, kills her friend (I think), and then comes for her.

Desmond's dad shows up and says "hey wanna join the assassins and keep working on this thing?" Layla sorta agrees to join, but makes it very clear she doesn't trust them

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Error wrote: »
    So all this talk of Unity made me long to run around Paris again a stabbin. But I wanted to do it with a fresh character and it seems there is only one save file? Is that true or am I completely blind?

You're not blind. It's a whole thing. You can google how to remove the file, but I believe it involves having Uplay up but in offline mode, deleting the current game, and then having UPlay set to NOT import/repair save data from the cloud. And that lets you start a new run, google for specific steps, there specific guides on how to do it. I did it a year or so back since I wanted to try to finish the story but couldn't remember what the hell had happened when I was dropped back in after a while absent from it.

Ended up getting bogged down at the same place I did before.... sigh. I really want to like Unity, I really do. Origins is just so much better executed.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Layla
    She also has the "Gone Files" on her computer, where she has been collecting evidence of missing people and shady business at Abstergo, so she isn't a "believer" even at the start of the story and is likely to be very receptive to the Assassin sales pitch.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    I want them, through mind control and leather restraints, to force everyone to experience the real world stuff over and over forever without end until Stockholm Syndrome sets in and you like it as much as me. You push that skip cutscene button and a field team from Ubisoft gets dispatched to your home to reengineer your brain’s taste buds until you are one of us.

And then once human instrumentality has been achieved, they can remake Assassin’s Creed III and change the ending to one that doesn’t shit all over the real world stuff.