As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    They added a load more viewpoints, mainly near docks so you can get back to the ship easier.

Also apparently all the weekly targets are coming back every day this month?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah I noticed they were mostly near docks. Some were weirdly close to others that were right near a dock too. It was a nice excuse to go Island hopping to get them all.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    so, Ubisoft sent me one of those "we haven't seen you for a while" emails to guilt me into logging in again. Which, whatever. But they sent me my stats to remind me where I'm at and it's like...you should actually be emailing me to tell me they're putting a statue of me up in Athens because damn if that doesn't look like a series of accomplishments that stand on their own already.

rvmaqicq1siz.png

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Hello friends! I just picked this up while it was on sale and had one question. My controller occasionally vibrates when wandering around? I thought it was telling me to look around or eagle scout but that didn't reveal anything and it's done indoors where I couldn't eagle anyway.

So, what's up with that?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-is-revealing-the-next-assassins-creed-right-now-1843153308
    So yeah, leaks were correct in that the next AC game is about Vikings. Prob gonna be similar in gameplay and scope to Odyssey, maybe with some next gen versions? They reveal is set for tomorrow. I'll try to update OP for once when they actually say anything

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Vikings are so much fucking cooler than anything else we've done. I'm so fucking in.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I’m hoping ancient China or feudal Japan after this, but Vikings is good also

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Hell yeah. This wasn't on my radar at all, but Vikings is super cool. Especially if they're more medieval instead of early dark ages. Better architecture to scramble over. :)

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m hoping ancient China or feudal Japan after this, but Vikings is good also

Feudal Japan is never happening. Just going on the fact that a game about assassinating and melee combat that focuses on counter attacking has never done the setting which is perfect for it.

Either that or they’re keeping it for their Hail Mary if an instalment absolutely bombs and they need to get players back.

• Options
    Nah, I think it's probably one that's hardest for a bunch of French dudes to do justice is the Eastern nations. So far we've had China in those 2.5D games, but those side stories weren't very fleshed out. But it makes sense they've done mostly the development of the western world. Plus with all the boat shenanigans, there was no way they weren't gonna do Mediterranean and Vikings eventually.

There's so many ninja games out there already it's nice they're giving space to less common settings. That being said, they could do an amazing story about ninja and samurai, maybe have the Ronin samurai be recruited by the Templars. A lot of cool stuff could happen if they eventually do go that route. At this point if they do go for it, people will just be let down lol

• Options
    The other thing is they’ve left it so long another historical open world Feudal Japan game is coming out, Ghost of Tsushima. If it’s as good as the preview footage looks, they’re not going to want to try the setting for a long while.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The other thing is they’ve left it so long another historical open world Feudal Japan game is coming out, Ghost of Tsushima. If it’s as good as the preview footage looks, they’re not going to want to try the setting for a long while.

True, and there's recent stuff like Sekiro which while more fantasy is somewhat similar to gameplay of AC, in terms of acrobatics and melee based combat. Ninja and samurai games are just more common and popular, like cowboy themed games. And there's plenty more eras to mine, like maybe a game set during the Spanish Inquisition or some Mayan god shit.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Unity should have been ninjas, then they wouldn't have had their lunch eaten by Sekiro and Ghost and whatever else. Now they're gonna have to wait on that one for a while for it to be interesting again.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    They wasted so many good settings on those 2.5D games and comic spinoffs. China, Russia, Madrid

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I feel like Three Kingdoms or Tang dynasty China would be a really interesting setting, and isn’t as crowded a setting as feudal Japan.

Or there’s always the option if you want to do ancient/medieval Asia of doing some of the other countries that don’t really get touched much. A Khmer empire game, or a game set in Vietnam around the time of the Trung Sisters, or a 3 kingdoms era Korea game all would be very interesting.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

The thing weirding me out is that that castle and the armoured knight on the right side of the image is clearly 12th century or so, but the Viking age was pretty much over by then.

In the past Ubisoft have generally tried to avoid huge anachronisms, so I wonder if this is them saying “fuck it, knights vs. Vikings,” or if the artist just did their own thing, or what.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

True, and there's recent stuff like Sekiro which while more fantasy is somewhat similar to gameplay of AC, in terms of acrobatics and melee based combat. Ninja and samurai games are just more common and popular, like cowboy themed games. And there's plenty more eras to mine, like maybe a game set during the Spanish Inquisition or some Mayan god shit.

A game that straddles pre and post 1492 Central America would be dope.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    As good as AC:O was/is I hope there's more to do in this Valhalla game. I also hope they get weird with it.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'd be genuinely surprised (and impressed) if they ever did ancient China, since the Chinese government is VERY sensitive about cultural stuff and Ubisoft's one of the few western publishers that has managed to gain a strong foothold in that country.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I'd love to see something in India. Preferably before the British, but I think they might have to have the British come in for some kind of continuity, but yeah, getting subcontinental would be a real good take, I think.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Cinematic was nice, need some actual details. Wonder if male VA will be the weak link again, or if they're even doing male/female alternates again.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Nosf wrote: »
    Cinematic was nice, need some actual details. Wonder if male VA will be the weak link again, or if they're even doing male/female alternates again.
    There are masculine and feminine statues of the main character offered in the various super collector editions, so that choice appears to be in the game.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    No imdb entry that I can see, so no idea who the voice cast are.

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Writer Chris Wooding is working on the game, which bodes well for the story and dialogue.

Fans of dieselpunk should definitely check out his Tales of the Ketty Jay series. Does some interesting fantasy as well...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    If y'all are interested in any Viking media to get hyped up, watch the Vinland Saga anime on Amazon Prime, and then read the manga because the anime only adapts the first arc of a fantastic story.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Then go play Hellblade, to get a story opposite of what Valhalla will probably be telling.

Hellblade 2 and this coming out within months of each other, some good time for viking content.

• Options
    So, if I have this right:
    -Play as male or female
    -A raven is your companion animal
    -Set in Scandinavia, Norway, Britain, and Alfred the Great is the big bad (which, yeah that's a significant reversal from his typical portrayal)
    -Build your own Viking village (super interested in this)
    -In-game decisions affect settlement, story, romances (will this fill the void in my gaming that Bioware left when they started sucking?)
    -Customize tattoos, beard, war paint, gear, longboats (sort of expected but still awesome and fun)

I'm super pumped here as long as they don't, you know, pull a III or a Unity.

• Options
    Massena wrote: »
    So, if I have this right:
    -Play as male or female
    -A raven is your companion animal
    -Set in Scandinavia, Norway, Britain, and Alfred the Great is the big bad (which, yeah that's a significant reversal from his typical portrayal)
    -Build your own Viking village (super interested in this)
    -In-game decisions affect settlement, story, romances (will this fill the void in my gaming that Bioware left when they started sucking?)
    -Customize tattoos, beard, war paint, gear, longboats (sort of expected but still awesome and fun)

I'm super pumped here as long as they don't, you know, pull a III or a Unity.

I used this for the new OP lol

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular

Odyssey already headed down this path for me....

WTF is Bioware making right now, anyway?

• Options

For me, Odyssey did it with the skill tree and various ways to build out (archery, stealth, slaughter) and also with having a story that can follow a male/female lead. But it seemed oddly absent in your ability to leave a mark on the world. SOME choices mattered but a LOT of the interactions were jarring in how much they didn't matter ( help this person through some of the critical crises of their life, sleep with them-> invite them to sail around the Aegean with you -> hey look now they're on your crew and you never speak to them again). It also seemed weirdly inconsistent in how important things are or suddenly aren't (but a lot of the AC games are like this -murder in and out of cutscenes, for instance-).

I'd LOVE if AC starts moving into the space of more interactions and actual conversations with the posse they inevitably surround you with (who didn't always go for the bro-hug with Leonardo in 2?). Instead of the people around you being just one more source of quests and materials, the same as any random icon on a map.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    jdarksun wrote: »
    There are masculine and feminine statues of the main character offered in the various super collector editions, so that choice appears to be in the game.

I'll be the prettiest Shieldmaiden in the medieval world.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Retooling Anthem and supposedly starting on another Dragon Age.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Ha, Odyssey wanted you to bone that dude as the female player sooooo bad. I assume it's the same both ways. "Naw, fuck off, I got killing to do. No time to squirt out some spawn."

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ha, Odyssey wanted you to bone that dude as the female player sooooo bad. I assume it's the same both ways. "Naw, fuck off, I got killing to do. No time to squirt out some spawn."

It's hard to imagine the female character being as much of an unappealing wet noodle as the male character they saddled Kassandra with. The character felt like a pathetic little brother.

• Options
    https://kotaku.com/assassin-s-creed-valhalla-is-bringing-back-the-instakil-1843417623
    Curious if that's against all enemies or just ones you outleveled.

• Options
    https://thebests.kotaku.com/lets-rank-the-assassins-creed-games-worst-to-best-1844019813

This list triggered me, mostly because any list that doesn't have Brotherhood in the #1 spot is just fucked

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I’m not the best judge because I haven’t played all the games, but I feel like 3 is way too high and I loved the shit out of origins but I don’t think I’d put it at #1.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'll always have a soft spot for Revelations. Even though the plot was grade A "spinning the wheels/going nowhere", they still managed to do something great with the ending. It was the perfect capstone for Ezio and Altar's characters and stories.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."