As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Heroes of the Storm] There is no new hero, ONLY XUL.

• SupagoatSupagoat Registered User regular
    So it turns out that when a hero is at the top of the hotslogs charts after day 1 it actually does mean they're OP? :)

bnet: Supagoat#1884
    Switch: 6589-6405-3399
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The game isn't even a year old yet (according to official release) and the power creep is already insane in the new heroes. I honestly don't think release Thrall, with all his OP glory, was anywhere nearly as broken as release day Li Ming or release day Xul.

*points you towards release day Rexxar, Artanis, Lunara, etc.....*

There was a streak of underpowered release day Heroes for quite a long time.

I would MUCH RATHER have overpowered release day Heroes that get nerfed back down to earth. New underpowered Heroes are not fun to play, and feel worse to purchase.

And, anecdotally, on-release Thrall (and even on-release Kael) were muuuuch much worse. Thrall the Destroyer with infinite healing, an Ult that was always off cooldown, able to win engagements (1v3s etc) he literally had no business winning.

I dunno. I think they've gotten a lot better about new Heroes. They've learned a lot of lessons from Thrall/Kael, and Li-Ming/Xul don't even compare.

Hell, they were REALLY quick on nerfing Li-Ming too. Ess of Johan and all the other assorted nerfs she got, those were fast. And they'll continue to nerf her.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Poison nova is kinda insane. I got barely touched with it last night as an equal level li ming and lost about 70% of my hp to poison. Given how huge it is and how hard it is to dodge given that the bolts penetrate, it's a devastating ult.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Question: Does the Bone Prison Vulnerable effect only take place when the enemy is rooted, or from when it is cast?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    You can hearth while poison nova-ed, right?

It's 8 seconds vs 10 for the whole damage

MMMig
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Question: Does the Bone Prison Vulnerable effect only take place when the enemy is rooted, or from when it is cast?

When the root applies.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

This of course assumes you're exactly 8-10 seconds away from dying. But yes.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »

This of course assumes you're exactly 8-10 seconds away from dying. But yes.

Yeah, it's not ideal, I just wondered if it was possible

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Poison nova is kinda insane. I got barely touched with it last night as an equal level li ming and lost about 70% of my hp to poison. Given how huge it is and how hard it is to dodge given that the bolts penetrate, it's a devastating ult.

I wouldn't say it's hard to dodge if you're properly distanced from him as ranged dudes should be wary if it's up.

But yeah, it's meant to be strong vs squishies. Warriors can sorta brush it off.
    It still hurts, but that's what squishies are: squishy.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    The healing debuff aside, I think if Xul has any main issues it's the power of his Q and his skeletons (mainly his healing and mana regen) which gives him his ludicrous pushing power. I've actually had relatively poor luck going the W build, and do far better just pitching scythe after scythe with the cooldown redux. I like bonespear too.

I don't think his W or his E are massive issues in and of themselves given how close you need to be, and I wonder how much Rehgar and Li Ming continue to skew things.

PS- I'm about 4 games away from my Master Skin :D

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    The game isn't even a year old yet (according to official release) and the power creep is already insane in the new heroes. I honestly don't think release Thrall, with all his OP glory, was anywhere nearly as broken as release day Li Ming or release day Xul.

*points you towards release day Rexxar, Artanis, Lunara, etc.....*

There was a streak of underpowered release day Heroes for quite a long time.

I would MUCH RATHER have overpowered release day Heroes that get nerfed back down to earth. New underpowered Heroes are not fun to play, and feel worse to purchase.

And, anecdotally, on-release Thrall (and even on-release Kael) were muuuuch much worse. Thrall the Destroyer with infinite healing, an Ult that was always off cooldown, able to win engagements (1v3s etc) he literally had no business winning.

I dunno. I think they've gotten a lot better about new Heroes. They've learned a lot of lessons from Thrall/Kael, and Li-Ming/Xul don't even compare.

Hell, they were REALLY quick on nerfing Li-Ming too. Ess of Johan and all the other assorted nerfs she got, those were fast. And they'll continue to nerf her.

new underpowered heroes may not be fun to play, but new overpowered heroes are not fun to play against

edited March 2016
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    The healing debuff aside, I think if Xul has any main issues it's the power of his Q and his skeletons (mainly his healing and mana regen) which gives him his ludicrous pushing power. I've actually had relatively poor luck going the W build, and do far better just pitching scythe after scythe with the cooldown redux. I like bonespear too.

I don't think his W or his E are massive issues in and of themselves given how close you need to be, and I wonder how much Rehgar and Li Ming continue to skew things.

I think Xul's main problem is simply a lot of assorted different strengths that all add up into something kinda nuts.

Like you said, his Q is really good. It's incredibly mana friendly, relatively low cooldown, high damage, great poke, great lane clear. Most of its power is simply in the base ability. The talents that affect it are... mostly utilitarian. Range increase, a 40% slow, and 50% CDR if it hits an enemy hero. Which all make it fairly formidable, of course. And then of course there's Mortal Wound, but that's a whole other story.

His W is... fairly ridiculous. Moderate mana cost, gives his autos an incredibly wide arc, applies a 50% attack speed debuff, and again, great for lane clear. Sure, he has Weaken, but honestly what's a 75% attackspeed slow gonna do that a 50% slow isn't already doing? But, his W alone shuts down soooo many Heroes.

His E ranges from "good" to "incredible", depending on whether or not you're going Jailors build. At worst, it's just a 2 sec delayed root (WHICH IS STILL REALLY GOOD). At best, it's a 2 sec delayed root that also packs incredible single target damage potential.

His Trait, similar to his E, ranges from "s'alright" to "actually kind of ridiculous", depending on talent build. Again, at worst you simply are adding 4 weaker minions to your waves. At best, you're adding 6 ridiculously strong siege minions that also do aoe damage when they die.

He also has a baseline Stoneskin on a 30 second cooldown which can be augmented in various ways. It's pretty damn strong.

Let's talk Ults for a sec too. I feel like Skeletal Mages, for all intents and purposes, are fine. They do what they do, they're good when they're good. Cool. Poison Nova does a shitload of damage, though. It does have a rather long cooldown, though...

So far, we've established that he has:
    - Really damn good poke/damage with his Q. His Q can further be upgraded to provide even better utility.
    - Really fucking good lane clear, from his Q and W, and also his Trait.
    - Ability to completely shut down melee Heroes with his W.
    - Ability to punish out of position Heroes with his E.
    - Fairly fuckin' tanky with Bone Armor and his W. Can also build his W to heal him.
    - Has two pretty damn good Ults, maybe one being arguably better than the other.

These individual strengths (good poke, good lane clear, countering melee heroes) all add up and create a Hero whose kit can be fairly difficult to deal with. Perhaps the only solace is that he really has no escape, and he's extremely susceptible to being dived.

I think the main problem is simply that he's too good at too many things. He has way more pros than cons, he's solid all around, he has literally the most broken level 20 talent in the game with Mortal Wound.

So yeah, Blizz, pick your poison with how to nerf him, cause you've got options.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    shryke
    And regarding the playtesters not picking up on the OP: The day after Xul was released Dunktrain and friends declared him OP. I assume they didn't have 10s of hours of play time with him at that point, so it does feel like the play testing group needs some work...

shrykeInquisitor77TheStig
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    So you would agree that they could get rid of Bone Prison and he'd likely still be OK?

No. I don't even know where you'd get that from my post.

Bone Prison is a nice solid ability that isn't the main issue with Xul at all. The problem imo is his insane AoE that also basically entirely negates AAs from any hero in range. And on top of that his kit of low to no mana wave clear and pushing make his base kit really nasty and horrendously difficult to deal with for most heroes in lane.

His Bone Prison is just, like, a root. It's good but it's short range, long time before it hits, it can be dealt with and it's just not what makes him so ridiculous right now.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

So yeah, Blizz, pick your poison with how to nerf him, cause you've got options.

I see you Dibs.

DibbyKnight_WingedWeaselJackdawGinjungleroomxSmrtnik
    edited March 2016

I think Xul's main problem is simply a lot of assorted different strengths that all add up into something kinda nuts.

Like you said, his Q is really good. It's incredibly mana friendly, relatively low cooldown, high damage, great poke, great lane clear. Most of its power is simply in the base ability. The talents that affect it are... mostly utilitarian. Range increase, a 40% slow, and 50% CDR if it hits an enemy hero. Which all make it fairly formidable, of course. And then of course there's Mortal Wound, but that's a whole other story.

His W is... fairly ridiculous. Moderate mana cost, gives his autos an incredibly wide arc, applies a 50% attack speed debuff, and again, great for lane clear. Sure, he has Weaken, but honestly what's a 75% attackspeed slow gonna do that a 50% slow isn't already doing? But, his W alone shuts down soooo many Heroes.

His E ranges from "good" to "incredible", depending on whether or not you're going Jailors build. At worst, it's just a 2 sec delayed root (WHICH IS STILL REALLY GOOD). At best, it's a 2 sec delayed root that also packs incredible single target damage potential.

His Trait, similar to his E, ranges from "s'alright" to "actually kind of ridiculous", depending on talent build. Again, at worst you simply are adding 4 weaker minions to your waves. At best, you're adding 6 ridiculously strong siege minions that also do aoe damage when they die.

He also has a baseline Stoneskin on a 30 second cooldown which can be augmented in various ways. It's pretty damn strong.

Let's talk Ults for a sec too. I feel like Skeletal Mages, for all intents and purposes, are fine. They do what they do, they're good when they're good. Cool. Poison Nova does a shitload of damage, though. It does have a rather long cooldown, though...

So far, we've established that he has:
    - Really damn good poke/damage with his Q. His Q can further be upgraded to provide even better utility.
    - Really fucking good lane clear, from his Q and W, and also his Trait.
    - Ability to completely shut down melee Heroes with his W.
    - Ability to punish out of position Heroes with his E.
    - Fairly fuckin' tanky with Bone Armor and his W. Can also build his W to heal him.
    - Has two pretty damn good Ults, maybe one being arguably better than the other.

These individual strengths (good poke, good lane clear, countering melee heroes) all add up and create a Hero whose kit can be fairly difficult to deal with. Perhaps the only solace is that he really has no escape, and he's extremely susceptible to being dived.

I think the main problem is simply that he's too good at too many things. He has way more pros than cons, he's solid all around, he has literally the most broken level 20 talent in the game with Mortal Wound.

Aye, I feel like he does too much. Other then his W, I feel nothing about his kit is too ludicrous on it's own but together it's just fucking bonkers. He doesn't stand out to me as overpowered the way Li-Ming does in that it's not immediately obvious that's he's a ludicrously easy to use killing machine that turns fights. He's just really really strong overall.

As for his W? On it's own it would be really good but it's just, I think, really problamatic in the way it completely shuts down like 1/3rd of the heroes in the game completely, without any counters. Especially paired with his evasion bone shield.

shryke on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    So you would agree that they could get rid of Bone Prison and he'd likely still be OK?

Bone Prison is a nice solid ability that isn't the main issue with Xul at all. The problem imo is his insane AoE that also basically entirely negates AAs from any hero in range. And on top of that his kit of low to no mana wave clear and pushing make his base kit really nasty and horrendously difficult to deal with for most heroes in lane.

His Bone Prison is just, like, a root. It's good but it's short range, long time before it hits, it can be dealt with and it's just not what makes him so ridiculous right now.

Dude my point was that he's so powerful that they could do something like get rid of Bone Prison and he'd still be relatively balanced. Your rebuttal is "Bone Prison isn't the problem!" That wasn't even what I was saying.

Dude my point was that he's so powerful that they could do something like get rid of Bone Prison and he'd still be relatively balanced. Your rebuttal is "Bone Prison isn't the problem!" That wasn't even what I was saying.

I'm not even sure what your point is anymore frankly.

He's so powerful they could remove Bone Prison and he'd still be OP. Which is why Bone Prison isn't the problem and why removing it makes no sense.

And neither does saying he'd "still be balanced" since he's not really balanced now.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

He's so powerful they could remove Bone Prison and he'd still be OP. Which is why Bone Prison isn't the problem and why removing it makes no sense.

And neither does saying he'd "still be balanced" since he's not really balanced now.

"This hero is so good, you could remove an entire ability, leaving him with 1 fewer than everyone else, and he will still be 'relatively good'."

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

"This hero is so good, you could remove an entire ability, leaving him with 1 fewer than everyone else, and he will still be 'relatively good'."

He wouldn't have 1 less than everyone else, Bone Armor would be shifted to his E. It's certainly an ability inasmuch as Harden Carapace is.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

He wouldn't have 1 less than everyone else, Bone Armor would be shifted to his E. It's certainly an ability inasmuch as Harden Carapace is.

tbh it's basically better than harden carapace is with the ability to talent it to do 15% max hp damage in a huge radius or ignore all autoatacks for 4 seconds.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    shryke
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I think Xul can be easily fixed, though.

They need to scale back the minion damage on his Q. It doesn't need to be doing that much without any sort of talent aid. If Xul wants to annihilate a wave of creeps, he should have to spec for that just like everyone else. They should put a 60% damage reduction against minions on his Q, and then allow him to spec into Q minion damage, but only maybe a 40% increase from talents. Because right now his wave-clear is ridiculous and he doesn't need to get all of it back.

Likewise, they need to reduce the damage on his Cursed Strikes. The main purpose of this ability should be the application of debuffs. It doesn't need to do insane damage AND apply debuffs. Lower the damage bye a bunch. And if they really want to, they can also put a wave-clearing talent on his W, but I feel like this would be a newbie trap if they did it. He doesn't need two talents to improve wave clear on two different abilities.

I also feel like the damage on poison nova burns too hot too fast. They need to do two things to poison nova. First - a flat damage reduction. It simply doesn't need to do as much as it does. It is too strong. Second - they should make it burn hotter the longer it runs. If it's gonna be a 10 second poison (which is a really long time) it should start relatively weak and the damage should escalate in the last few seconds. Remember. This is a poison, not a nuke. It doesn't need to be doing nuke quality damage. Since it's a DoT it needs to behave like a DoT.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

tbh it's basically better than harden carapace is with the ability to talent it to do 15% max hp damage in a huge radius or ignore all autoatacks for 4 seconds.

A lot of things are better than Harden Carapace, it's a bad ability. I'd take Tyrael's W over it any day, even with the extra mana investment (carapace isn't even more spammable because Tyrael gets Battle Momentum).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    MMMig

How many Abathur slaps can bone armor absorb?

Inquisitor77
  • Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular

Release Thrall was more broken than both of them, crazy as that sounds. Release Thrall would run into 3 or 4 people, kill them all and run out with more health than he went in. Release Thrall was one of the dumbest development mistakes they made, and god knows how it got through.

DibbyshrykeAvalonGuard
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's fine just CC him

kimeshrykeJackdawGinSo It GoescptruggedCorp.Shephard
    edited March 2016
    I'm still shocked Battle Momentum affects ultimates. They were smart enough to make Rehgar's version only do basic abilities, but cutting the cooldown of Blessed Shield or Judgement/Sanct or Apoc/Breath or Avatar or etc by 1/3rd from the moment you get it still feels way too strong.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    DibbyMMMig
    D-Bro's answering a lot of tweets today, this one caught my eye:

Which, like I said before, I much prefer new Heroes being too strong over being too weak. Yeah, it's not fun to play against them. But at the very least that playing field sorta evens out, because you can expect to see that new Hero on both teams every game.

It's also much easier to scale a Hero back than it is to buff a Hero up, I think. And they're usually pretty quick about addressing this shit anyway. Expect to see Xul nerfs this coming Wednesday.

DNiDlnb.png
    shrykemilk ducks
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Maledict66 wrote: »

Release Thrall was more broken than both of them, crazy as that sounds. Release Thrall would run into 3 or 4 people, kill them all and run out with more health than he went in. Release Thrall was one of the dumbest development mistakes they made, and god knows how it got through.

It's hard to believe, but I saw a video of it, and it's true. I mean, I can wreck face with Thrall right now - I can only imagine what it was like when he had Battle Momentum, among his other overtuned abilities/talents. You were legitimately be able to heal your full HP bar like every 4 seconds. And this was back before the low-TTK meta. Even if he couldn't kill you, as long as he could hit something he was effectively immortal. WTF.

Dibby
    Maledict66 wrote: »

It's hard to believe, but I saw a video of it, and it's true. I mean, I can wreck face with Thrall right now - I can only imagine what it was like when he had Battle Momentum, among his other overtuned abilities/talents. You were legitimately be able to heal your full HP bar like every 4 seconds. And this was back before the low-TTK meta. Even if he couldn't kill you, as long as he could hit something he was effectively immortal. WTF.

I saw a video of him killing three Heroes while fighting under a Fort.

It WAS that insane.

DNiDlnb.png
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I have had a good week and am finally progressing up the ranks. I am now 33, my best yet! Hooray! I finally feel like I am making progress.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Not sure if this has been posted yet... I jumped back a couple pages and didn't see it.

A tweet today from D-biddly thinking about adding a level requirement to heroes in HL

3nkcdak0a3vr.png

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    DibbyMMMigshrykeInquisitor77DeliciousTacos
    Oh gosh, good news just keeps on truckin' today. From the HotS subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/48xep5/i_think_it_would_be_cool_if_rehgars_wolf_form/
    I think it would be cool if Rehgar's wolf form would change color with his skin variations. I've played lot of Rehgar, but seeing his normal blue ghost form has got a bit tiresome, I'd like it more if I could get to see demonic red and mean green wolf depending on which skin color I choose. His two other skins would probably enjoy this kind of upgrade too.
    You won't need to upvote threads like this for much longer. We've got some Rehgar wolf form tints internally that we're evaluating. They should become available for the public with a future patch.

MY MAN

DNiDlnb.png
    TheStigkimeKhraulMMMigshrykeNeurotikaInquisitor77So It GoesübergeekAvalonGuardmilk ducks
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Like Rehgar wasn't OP enough!!!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    MMMigInquisitor77Tim is on the Internet
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Like Rehgar wasn't OP enough!!!

Now he'll be able to dazzle you with his style.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    D-Bro's answering a lot of tweets today, this one caught my eye:

Which, like I said before, I much prefer new Heroes being too strong over being too weak. Yeah, it's not fun to play against them. But at the very least that playing field sorta evens out, because you can expect to see that new Hero on both teams every game.

It's also much easier to scale a Hero back than it is to buff a Hero up, I think. And they're usually pretty quick about addressing this shit anyway. Expect to see Xul nerfs this coming Wednesday.

i would actually prefer the opposite, that is a hero come out weaker and then tuned up.
    Khraul wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted yet... I jumped back a couple pages and didn't see it.

A tweet today from D-biddly thinking about adding a level requirement to heroes in HL

3nkcdak0a3vr.png

i distinctly remember this coming up back when they first talked about even adding hero league (along with a 1 month "ban" on new heroes). i don't know why it never made it to live.

WingedWeasel on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Not sure how they plan on nerfing Xul since I plan on using him still.

54d3f3f713913_-_esq-01-f21-men-sunglasses-2014-mdn.jpg

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    kimejungleroomxSeGaTai
    Thrall's OPness was probably because their playtesters never saw the problem, since they did just CC him. Even at his godliest god tier he never made inroads in competitive since he just died under CC and then his team got rolled.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    just like how the comp players are like "yeah li-ming is overtuned but she's not awful, just dodge the skillshots"

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Xul / Li-Ming interaction...

Xul Intro: Watch yourself, mage… Your kind has upset the Balance before.
    Li-Ming Response: I’m a wizard, actually. You’re the one who seems a little unbalanced.

......Evidence they knew they were releasing an OP hero? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    MMMigTheStigWingedWeaselkimeSo It GoesThe Escape GoatCorp.Shephard
This discussion has been closed.