Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Early Onset Coot Disease

24567

Posts

  • Options
    InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    Undertale has suffered the same problem as many good pieces of media. Essentially, there's a portion of the internet who become obsessed with a new setting or franchise and cling to it, then make as much fanart and OCs and fanfiction as possible in a ridiculous volume early on (usually missing the point of the original thing in the process) and then by being a vocal majority of the fanbase, turn everyone off of the thing.

    Steven Universe had it, My Little Pony had it, Homestuck had it, and then it had it again when they got to the Troll stuff, but then over time the people like that either mellow out or move onto something else. Sure, people like that still exist within those fandoms, but it's significantly less of a problem.

    In other words the fandom sucks but it only sucks for now.

    As for Undertale itself, the hype is probably too much for most people, and you really, really need to get to meet a certain pair of characters before you can judge whether or not you'd like the rest of it. The Ruins segment is a tutorial and just like any tutorial it takes it's time.

  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Whippersnappers with their hoverboards and their pew dee pies and five knight Fred's

    Back in my day we had to manually save our games uphill both ways and we liked it

    (I own Undertake but haven't even started it, I blame Fallout 4).

    In MY day we had to write down a 64-digit code to save our game!

    on PAPER!

  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Whippersnappers with their hoverboards and their pew dee pies and five knight Fred's

    Back in my day we had to manually save our games uphill both ways and we liked it

    (I own Undertake but haven't even started it, I blame Fallout 4).

    In MY day we had to write down a 64-digit code to save our game!

    on PAPER!

    Next Tycho Is Old comic can just be a drunk Tycho yelling about minimaps and graph paper.

    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    what are they supposed to do? not get excited about something they like?

    the usual response is "don't be annoying about it" but what constitutes annoying is always arbitrarily decided by the other person

    I don't think anyone reasonable expects anyone to change their behaviour regarding something they like, but other people are allowed to find them kind of annoying. I like Firefly, Bioware games and Undertale. I also find the superfans of those franchises pretty annoying. And that's fine! I don't have to interact with them unless I want to.

  • Options
    CovarrCovarr Registered User regular
    This is how I've felt about AAA gaming for a while now, and I'm only 26! It all started when I was playing Spec Ops: The Line, and I realized it was mad boring. At first I thought it was just that game, but then I noticed I couldn't enjoy Arkham City or Skyrim or GTA IV either, all games that had massive critical acclaim. On the rare occasion I can get more than about 20 minutes of total enjoyment out of a game anymore, it's something very un-modern, like Super Mario Maker.

  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Whippersnappers with their hoverboards and their pew dee pies and five knight Fred's

    Back in my day we had to manually save our games uphill both ways and we liked it

    (I own Undertake but haven't even started it, I blame Fallout 4).

    In MY day we had to write down a 64-digit code to save our game!

    on PAPER!

    Why wouldn't you just take a picture with your cellphone

    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I remember playing games with Undertale and Downwell's graphical style...because that was all games were capable of at the time. I don't really feel any nostalgia fueled need to go back to those despite what my little avatar pic might make you think. Rabid fandom can be such a buzzkill; It's great you found something you like, but I really don't need you to tell me about it every 5 minutes. Portal was a fun little diversion until we had a solid 6 to 8 months of cake jokes no matter where you went on the internet, then it was just fucking annoying.

    edit: to be honest, it's not that I remember Venture so fondly, it's that I remember playing it with my little brother and my dad. Ultima 4? Bard's Tale? It was the tales on the school bus the next morning and the comparing of maps and such between people who were playing it. It was the excited call to a friend because you just just realized the Sage was actually Lagoth Zanta.

    Nosf on
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    It's okay, Tycho. There are games for old people now; They're issued by Paradox Interactive, and they'll last you the endurance of your time left on this mortal coil...

    Dissent on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I've been looking for a short-enough-to-be-sane thread for Undertale for a while, so this is convenient. I started playing through it a while ago, I had just
    not killed Undyne
    and I'm still not really grabbed; I got to that point in the plot before Christmas, haven't played it since, and I don't feel any great compulsion to get back to it.

    I think I see what it's doing so far (to be sort of unhelpfully blurry about describing things) -- is there something "more" coming further on in the storyline, or is it going to be like that all the way to the end? It's fine and all, but it doesn't feel like it's "for me", somehow. (and I like bullet hell shooters, for heaven's sake, so it's not even that bit of mechanics putting me off).

    djmitchella on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    FriendFive wrote: »
    Les-R wrote: »
    [Undertale's] visual style is pretty much textbook retro-RPG. It's combat system matches traditional turn-based RPG systems with rhythm-games and bullet-hell.

    This is precisely why I have no interest in Undertale and I just can't figure out what all of the hoopla is about. I have always been more of a PC gamer rather than a console gamer and this game's presentation hearkens back to the Nintendo console RPGs of yesteryear. I have REALLY tried to be open-minded about the game; I've tried watching multiple people play it on Twitch and I can't even get through 10 minutes of it. If the game is really doing anything amazing with story, or characters, or meta-narrative, I guess I will just miss out on it, because I can't get through the presentation of the game. It looks and sounds like a JRPG from 20 years ago and I really didn't even gravitate toward that kind of game back then. Throw in "bullet hell" and I am running for the hills.

    Without hopefully spoilering it, in many games the UI and combat mechanics are utilitarian and it appears so at first glance in Under Tale. But actually it plays a huge part in the interaction with characters and the story itself. Actually I consider it more of an unusual dialogue system for an adventure game. The skill based segments ("bullet hell") are also rather short per enemy turn, and have a more Wario Ware like presentation.

    Personally, I can understand that you draw the line at a certain graphic fidelity. I can't look at anything older than 8-bit NES area graphics. So if someone would create the gaming equal to the second coming of Christ in Atari styled blocky presentation or in ASCII, I would have to pass.






    Dratatoo on
  • Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Undertale also has a very rocky start. The entire first section until Toriel is essentially garbage, and it lasts about an hour. I can absolutely understand someone not getting through that and thinking the game is a mess, if it weren't for the forums I wouldn't have persevered.

    How could that possibly take an hour? She's in the second room!

  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You know full well what I'm talking about.

  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Showsni wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Undertale also has a very rocky start. The entire first section until Toriel is essentially garbage, and it lasts about an hour. I can absolutely understand someone not getting through that and thinking the game is a mess, if it weren't for the forums I wouldn't have persevered.

    How could that possibly take an hour? She's in the second room!

    The ruins section!

  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I feel like there can be multiple roads tread to get to the point comic tycho is here. Regardless of the "game"-ness..."game"-inality...whatever the fuck of Undertale it could be just comic Tycho reaching that point where things randomly seem weird or shitty. The brain is a complex and fragile bunch of processing so maybe he's just become afflicted with the beginnings of dementia.

    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    There is a popular mode now I have taken to calling Double Reverse Irony, where things are real but not real but no they’re actually real, that is just one step beyond where I’m interested. My policy when the next generation “does them” is informed by 2pac’s I Ain’t Mad At Cha, and I only get mad when people transform works into litmus tests. In the case of Undertale, I can’t abstract it enough to even look at it: I can’t hold it far enough away. The thing it is dismantling is too close to me.

    Parody can be revelatory of weakness in the subject, but it can also reveal strength; it can reveal what’s left after the softest parts are washed away. Even when done in love, it has a caustic quality. An extended look at metals extraction probably isn’t appropriate for this paragraph, but I’m thinking about gold cyanidation and toxicity. The game is gleeful in its cannibalism of the medium, there’s blood all over its face but it’s smiling. It’s intimate with the tropes it has on display, and at this precise moment in time I’m discomfited by what it does with that familiarity.

    It is insufficiently reverent, and does not perform the proper obeisances. Others like it for precisely these reasons. I’m delighted by the iconoclasm intellectually and repulsed by it viscerally; if nothing else, it’s providing an intense psychological workout.

    Huh, that is not the bother I expected him having.

  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I'm pretty sure I "get" Undertale... I just wasn't very moved by it, like djmitchella above (about the same amount of progress through the game, even).
    It's a neat idea to have that counterpoint to the usual kill-em-all style, and nice to see someone do it successfully, but I guess to me it's the kind of deconstruction that feels a bit gratuitous because RPG fans already knew that it was absurd. Like, if everyone is aware of it but willing and able to look past it because they enjoy the medium/genre as-is, what is the value of a deconstruction to challenge the notion? I'm not upset by it, it just doesn't do anything for me because it's not really presenting a new idea and the writing itself felt like it was trying too hard, to the point of being cloying. Maybe if I hadn't spent the history of the world wide web seeing forum threads, fanfics, comics, and comedy sketches poking fun at the violence and kleptomania of traditional RPGs it would've made more of an impression.
    FriendFive wrote: »
    It looks and sounds like a JRPG from 20 years ago and I really didn't even gravitate toward that kind of game back then. Throw in "bullet hell" and I am running for the hills.

    Try 30 years; 20 is 1995 and fucking Chrono Trigger, man. Undertale's graphics look more like 8-bit than 16-bit in my opinion (edited from original: I was initially only thinking of character sprites and 'battle' graphics, and forgetting some of the background details).
    the usual response is "don't be annoying about it" but what constitutes annoying is always arbitrarily decided by the other person

    Well, yes, of course it is. I mean, when you ask what is offensive, isn't that decided by whether someone is offended by it? Edited to add: I don't disagree with the point you're trying to make, but I thought that last bit was kind of oddly myopic.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Absalon wrote: »
    There is a popular mode now I have taken to calling Double Reverse Irony, where things are real but not real but no they’re actually real, that is just one step beyond where I’m interested. My policy when the next generation “does them” is informed by 2pac’s I Ain’t Mad At Cha, and I only get mad when people transform works into litmus tests. In the case of Undertale, I can’t abstract it enough to even look at it: I can’t hold it far enough away. The thing it is dismantling is too close to me.

    Parody can be revelatory of weakness in the subject, but it can also reveal strength; it can reveal what’s left after the softest parts are washed away. Even when done in love, it has a caustic quality. An extended look at metals extraction probably isn’t appropriate for this paragraph, but I’m thinking about gold cyanidation and toxicity. The game is gleeful in its cannibalism of the medium, there’s blood all over its face but it’s smiling. It’s intimate with the tropes it has on display, and at this precise moment in time I’m discomfited by what it does with that familiarity.

    It is insufficiently reverent, and does not perform the proper obeisances. Others like it for precisely these reasons. I’m delighted by the iconoclasm intellectually and repulsed by it viscerally; if nothing else, it’s providing an intense psychological workout.

    Huh, that is not the bother I expected him having.

    Yeah, that sounds like the implications of the game made him uncomfortable, and he's blaming the game for this.

    However, another quote I found interesting was this:
    Undertale is the New Game You Have To Like Or You Don't Get It. These sanctified vessels are selected by an organization that is either lofty or subterranean, I haven't decided, and one of the cool things about being old is that I don't care.

    What universe is Jerry living on? Undertale's popularity was as organic as you can get, being spread entirely by word-of-mouth.

    Edit: Don't get me wrong, as someone who, while they enjoyed the game, didn't "get it" on the same level as others, I can understand it not being for everyone. However, given the tone of Jerry's post, as well as his words over the year (which I won't go further into), I get the feeling that the problem isn't that he doesn't like Undertale, rather that he's scared of it. I know it's a strange thing to conclude, and I'm probably way off base here, but it seems like what the game says about gameplay conventions fightens him, and the fact that it's so popular further scares him. I don't know. I suppose it's a better reason for not liking the game than its framerate.

    Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    I enjoyed that news post quite a bit.

    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I am honestly surprised that 13-year-olds would love the game.

    I was surprised, but I'm wondering if that's just because I'm starting to forget what being young is like. I did like funny games, and charming games, and vaguely SNES-looking games, and RPGs, and shooters.

  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, the vocabulary became intimidating, but I think I parsed the news post, in that my takeaway was that the manner in which the game dissects part of the medium is disconcerting to Jerry. Which is a fair position to take.

    I will be a pedant and question the use of "parody" for it, though. Parody means making a joke out of the thing, right? That doesn't seem to fit with the way the narrative examines the medium.

    Like, I wouldn't call Spec Ops a parody, either.

  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    So, the vocabulary became intimidating, but I think I parsed the news post, in that my takeaway was that the manner in which the game dissects part of the medium is disconcerting to Jerry. Which is a fair position to take.

    I will be a pedant and question the use of "parody" for it, though. Parody means making a joke out of the thing, right? That doesn't seem to fit with the way the narrative examines the medium.

    Like, I wouldn't call Spec Ops a parody, either.

    "Deconstruction" would probably be a better term.

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    monkmunkmonkmunk Registered User regular
    I'm glad i'm not the only person who had trouble understanding what issue with Undertale the newsletter was trying to convey. I'm still not 100% sure i get it. He seemed to be saying that the parody felt cruel? Or, the way the game deconstructed tropes, or specific mechanics, was unkind to the games that came before? I guess these things are subjective, but is it execution or like... perceived authorial intent that he's taking issue with?

  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    monkmunk wrote: »
    I'm glad i'm not the only person who had trouble understanding what issue with Undertale the newsletter was trying to convey. I'm still not 100% sure i get it. He seemed to be saying that the parody felt cruel? Or, the way the game deconstructed tropes, or specific mechanics, was unkind to the games that came before? I guess these things are subjective, but is it execution or like... perceived authorial intent that he's taking issue with?

    He specifically uses the phrase "insufficiently reverent", so even though he also uses the words "parody" and "caustic" it seems like his criticism isn't even that it was a mean, so much as that it wasn't quite... Well I'm not sure how I can interpret this other than that he is looking for a certain amount of veneration of the old forms that he's not seeing? I wouldn't go so far except that he actually used the phrase "proper obeisances" which doesn't have a less extreme synonym than worship.

    I dunno, it's a very strange criticism all around.

    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Zython wrote: »
    However, another quote I found interesting was this:
    Undertale is the New Game You Have To Like Or You Don't Get It. These sanctified vessels are selected by an organization that is either lofty or subterranean, I haven't decided, and one of the cool things about being old is that I don't care.

    What universe is Jerry living on? Undertale's popularity was as organic as you can get, being spread entirely by word-of-mouth.

    Kinda? I mean, I also disagree with what seems to be Jerry's impression of how this game is being promoted, but didn't Undertale get a ton of support before it even came out from an established Homestuck fanbase that was already well familiar with its creator? I could be totally wrong on this, but I'm not sure if that really counts as much more organic than an elite commentariat pushing it the way he seems to be characterizing things.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    However, another quote I found interesting was this:
    Undertale is the New Game You Have To Like Or You Don't Get It. These sanctified vessels are selected by an organization that is either lofty or subterranean, I haven't decided, and one of the cool things about being old is that I don't care.

    What universe is Jerry living on? Undertale's popularity was as organic as you can get, being spread entirely by word-of-mouth.

    Kinda? I mean, I also disagree with what seems to be Jerry's impression of how this game is being promoted, but didn't Undertale get a ton of support before it even came out from an established Homestuck fanbase that was already well familiar with its creator? I could be totally wrong on this, but I'm not sure if that really counts as much more organic than an elite commentariat pushing it the way he seems to be characterizing things.

    Homestuck's KS made over 2 million dollars.

    Undertale's made only 50k.

    If Toby was leveraging Homestuck's popularity he didn't do a great job.

  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    I read the criticism as directed about 25% at Undertale and 75% at Jerry for being an Old Man Who Yells At Clouds. Enticed intellectually, repulsed viscerally, intense psychological workout.

    Damn kids listening to Nirvana.

    YMMV of course.

    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    monkmunkmonkmunk Registered User regular
    I read the criticism as directed about 25% at Undertale and 75% at Jerry for being an Old Man Who Yells At Clouds. Enticed intellectually, repulsed viscerally, intense psychological workout.

    Yeah, and the alienation you feel when everyone else is into something you just can't connect to is completely legit. But like, plenty of Venerable Old Gamespeople love Undertale at least as much as the kids do, that thing is a critical darling, so the phrasing of it as a generational thing is *also* weird. Given the scarcity of thoughtful condemnation of the game, i was eager to hear why Jerry wasn't a fan, and i was just a little disappointed that i couldn't make heads or tails of it.

  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    However, another quote I found interesting was this:
    Undertale is the New Game You Have To Like Or You Don't Get It. These sanctified vessels are selected by an organization that is either lofty or subterranean, I haven't decided, and one of the cool things about being old is that I don't care.

    What universe is Jerry living on? Undertale's popularity was as organic as you can get, being spread entirely by word-of-mouth.

    Kinda? I mean, I also disagree with what seems to be Jerry's impression of how this game is being promoted, but didn't Undertale get a ton of support before it even came out from an established Homestuck fanbase that was already well familiar with its creator? I could be totally wrong on this, but I'm not sure if that really counts as much more organic than an elite commentariat pushing it the way he seems to be characterizing things.

    The Undertale Kickstarter had 50,000$ and 2,300 backers, which is pretty good for his original goal of 5,000 but a drop in the bucket compared to the fucking insane numbers Homestuck pulled back in the day. (In the last few years, the Homestuck fanbase has kinda gone dormant due to the comic buckling under it's own narrative, and the long, long Kickstarter-induced hiatuses) As far as I can tell Undertale has more or less spread because anyone who plays it instantly starts yelling at all their friends to play it, too.

  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    rhylith wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    However, another quote I found interesting was this:
    Undertale is the New Game You Have To Like Or You Don't Get It. These sanctified vessels are selected by an organization that is either lofty or subterranean, I haven't decided, and one of the cool things about being old is that I don't care.

    What universe is Jerry living on? Undertale's popularity was as organic as you can get, being spread entirely by word-of-mouth.

    Kinda? I mean, I also disagree with what seems to be Jerry's impression of how this game is being promoted, but didn't Undertale get a ton of support before it even came out from an established Homestuck fanbase that was already well familiar with its creator? I could be totally wrong on this, but I'm not sure if that really counts as much more organic than an elite commentariat pushing it the way he seems to be characterizing things.

    Homestuck's KS made over 2 million dollars.

    Undertale's made only 50k.

    If Toby was leveraging Homestuck's popularity he didn't do a great job.

    Eh, calm down. Given his lack of any industry experience, and fairly obscure rom-hacking background, getting ten times his asking price in one month probably was helped by being known among their base. Of course an official game of the thing they love is going to do way better than any side-project by a contributor. Besides, I was thinking more about pre-release fan art and social media presence than cash supply, but you're right that I may have greatly overstated it's impact on the game's popularity.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm not sure the intent of this comic - what exactly is he complaining about that he doesn't like about or doesn't feel it makes it a game, or is he just Roger Eberting? He doesn't go into it at all, even in the related article.

    Dissent wrote: »
    It's okay, Tycho. There are games for old people now; They're issued by Paradox Interactive, and they'll last you the endurance of your time left on this mortal coil...

    Stellaris will last me until we have an actual space empire.

  • Options
    Screwjank ClunkerScrewjank Clunker Registered User new member
    edited December 2015
    Kagera wrote: »
    I feel like there can be multiple roads tread to get to the point comic tycho is here. Regardless of the "game"-ness..."game"-inality...whatever the fuck of Undertale it could be just comic Tycho reaching that point where things randomly seem weird or shitty. The brain is a complex and fragile bunch of processing so maybe he's just become afflicted with the beginnings of dementia.

    I haven't read Penny Arcade in years but I saw people on Twitter roasting Tycho, so I wanted to see what the hell was going on. All I can say is:

    Eh, Tycho sucks. I could really give a damn about how people feel about games I like or don't like or whatever, but Tycho writes like how a dumb person thinks a smart person talks. I can at least appreciate Gabe for being a jerk without having... I'm sorry, but I'm still dying at obeisances what the fuck is your problem put down the thesaurus for once in your life you weirdo. Being purposefully obtuse doesn't mean you're the cutting edge of wit, it just means you're a wordy prick.

    And I'm out!~

    Screwjank Clunker on
  • Options
    Screwjank ClunkerScrewjank Clunker Registered User new member
    But seriously though you're hitting Tim Buckley levels here okay bye

  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I'm not sure the intent of this comic - what exactly is he complaining about that he doesn't like about or doesn't feel it makes it a game, or is he just Roger Eberting? He doesn't go into it at all, even in the related article.

    That's because the comic is much less about what his actual opinion of Undertale is or why and much more about how his reaction to it being different from what he sees as the mainstream makes him feel old.
    I'm sorry, but I'm still dying at obeisances what the fuck is your problem put down the thesaurus for once in your life you weirdo.

    Did you have to pick up a dictionary and look it up or what?


    Gaslight on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Oh man

    "I'm not a videogame journalist but here are my opinions about the best videogames of 2015 on a gigantic videogame website devoted to my opinions about videogames which are different than those other opinions offered on websites about videogames."

    If my eyes rolled any harder they'd spin.

    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I'm not sure the intent of this comic - what exactly is he complaining about that he doesn't like about or doesn't feel it makes it a game, or is he just Roger Eberting? He doesn't go into it at all, even in the related article.

    That's because the comic is much less about what his actual opinion of Undertale is or why and much more about how his reaction to it being different from what he sees as the mainstream makes him feel old.

    We've seen plenty of this comic already. We get that he's getting old and old man things and kids off my lawn and etc. I'd like to think that there's a bit more to his comics than recycled commentary. Well, I'd like to.

  • Options
    Execute/Dumbo.exeExecute/Dumbo.exe Registered User new member
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I'm not sure the intent of this comic - what exactly is he complaining about that he doesn't like about or doesn't feel it makes it a game, or is he just Roger Eberting? He doesn't go into it at all, even in the related article.

    That's because the comic is much less about what his actual opinion of Undertale is or why and much more about how his reaction to it being different from what he sees as the mainstream makes him feel old.
    I'm sorry, but I'm still dying at obeisances what the fuck is your problem put down the thesaurus for once in your life you weirdo.

    Did you have to pick up a dictionary and look it up or what?

    To be fair, he could just use simpler* words instead of that word salad he seems to be throwing out, instead of saying "It does not perform the proper obeisances" he could say something like "It's too harsh on what it's deconstructing", instead of saying "I’m delighted by the iconoclasm intellectually and repulsed by it viscerally" he could say "I like the way it parodies the subject matter on paper, but I'm too emotionally connected to it to enjoy it".
    If that's actually what he means, I'm not an English teacher.
    *I know that makes me sound like an idiot but *pbbttttttttttt*

  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I'm not sure the intent of this comic - what exactly is he complaining about that he doesn't like about or doesn't feel it makes it a game, or is he just Roger Eberting? He doesn't go into it at all, even in the related article.

    That's because the comic is much less about what his actual opinion of Undertale is or why and much more about how his reaction to it being different from what he sees as the mainstream makes him feel old.
    I'm sorry, but I'm still dying at obeisances what the fuck is your problem put down the thesaurus for once in your life you weirdo.

    Did you have to pick up a dictionary and look it up or what?

    To be fair, he could just use simpler* words instead of that word salad he seems to be throwing out,

    Jerry has recently started writing his newsposts in a verbose, baroque style seemingly just because it amuses him.

    And by "recently," I mean like 15 years ago.

  • Options
    TwistedKestrelTwistedKestrel Registered User new member
    I'm not surprised that Mike didn't like Undertale, frankly I expected it. It kind of eats at me that Jerry didn't like it even a little, though.

    Does he take the borrowing of RPG/bullet hell mechanics as a stab at them? Does he see this as having venom for developers of RPGs where killing things is just what you're supposed to do?
    I've seen people who killed Toriel on their first playthrough have a very negative reaction to it, like the game had tricked them into doing something horrible, that there were not sufficient context clues to how to "properly" move forward or that she really was going to die. I wonder if something like that is at play here?

  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Are people actually signing up here to bash Jerry when it states clearly on the front page that Gabe and Tycho do not read the forums? That's kind of silly.

  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Goose! wrote: »
    Are people actually signing up here to bash Jerry when it states clearly on the front page that Gabe and Tycho do not read the forums? That's kind of silly.

    Welcome to the last decade of my life.

Sign In or Register to comment.