As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] New Event, New Thread. Get a Move On!

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking that, instead of wasting Actions and Hones on killing the first Gigaflare orb, I might just RW my first Wall right before it goes off and just soak it. I wound up soaking the second Gigaflare in my first run through and it wasn't so bad with Wall + Shellga. Even easier if I land a Magic Breakdown to push him into charging phase.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Do the dogs respawn as a pair, or do they respawn individually?

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Individually. If you kill one and go a full round without killing the other, they'll show up separately.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    So looking over my setup, the only thing I can do to improve it is get R3 Full Break, which is just not going to happen in a week. Getting Seph, Cloud and Red ten more levels would help, but unless I'm just a few actions shy probably won't make a big difference in the end. Has anyone used an advantalate strategy? Dogs would still have to be AOE'd but it might work with a group of combat mages that alternate double striking and Meteoring.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Blah. Any tips for the +++? The Reddit says that tauntaliate should make it trivial, but three tries later that's a giant fib.

Rough guess for my Actions Taken on my second run:

Seph: 14 for abilities, 3 for Shellga SB = 17
    Zack: 14 for abilities, 3 for Air Strike = 17
    Kefka: 13 for abilities, 3 for Magic Infusion = 16
    Barret: 10 for abilities, 3 for Grenade Bomb = 13
    Lenna: 13 for abilities, 3 for Medica = 16
    + 2 uses of RW
    + one or two Attacks/Defends
    ---
    83, which is the limit. 84 is when you lose a second medal.

Fuck. Two or three tiny tweaks and I can Master the fight; it's as simple as landing Grenade Bomb before Air Strike instead of a tenth of a second afterward. But I'm going to be counting my turns, lol.

Defend counts as an action, but does Swap? I don't think so, right?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Narbus wrote: »
    Blah. Any tips for the +++? The Reddit says that tauntaliate should make it trivial, but three tries later that's a giant fib.

Just advance/retaliate, protectga/shellga/ lots of double hits/tempo flurries... I kept him power and magic broken and it wasn't bad. Last half of the fight is more magical and NAT than physical so taunt is going to waste.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Defend does, but Skip Turn does not.

I brought Cecil with Magic Lure and Banishing Strike. He took a lot of the single target nukes from Seph. I just burned him down. I didn't think it was very hard.

I brought a wall as my RW and had Shellga on Lenna. Did not bring a Protectga. Had Full Break on Red.

Rius
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, just did another attempt with counting, and my 83rd action is the first one taken after breaking the 4th energy orb, which leaves him at like 15% HP. Not certain I'll be able to knock this one out, but I'll do a few more S/L.

Edit: the limit might be 87... I can do this :::self-encouragement::

Rius on
    There's no shame in admitting that it simply isn't possible. The orbs would be nice, sure, but seeing as we know the life of this game is in no danger of ending, and with more rewards on the horizon, it's not something I would stress over.

I'm coming to the realization myself that if I succeed in killing him again with -2, -2, I'll just chalk it up to at least it was a win, breathe a sigh of relief, and get ready to wreck some Final Fantasy 8.

edited March 2016
    So it's great that they legitimized the FFXIV realm and put in a few levels for it, and hopefully we get a few more in future dungeon updates. It's also great that in another 4-5 months we have Yda and Papalymo to look forward to. I'm glad 14 is being shown some love.

But where's FFXI? The game (RK) has been out a full year now and we don't even have one character, haven't ever had even one event taking place in Vana'diel. Since Square Enix (stupidly) decided that they were going to put not one, but two MMOs in the mainline franchise, they need a spot in Record Keeper.

Lucascraft on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So it's great that they legitimized the FFXIV realm and put in a few levels for it, and hopefully we get a few more in future dungeon updates. It's also great that in another 4-5 months we have Yda and Papalymo to look forward to. I'm glad 14 is being shown some love.

But where's FFXI? The game (RK) has been out a full year now and we don't even have one character, haven't ever had even one event taking place in Vana'diel. Since Square Enix (stupidly) decided that they were going to put not one, but two MMOs in the mainline franchise, they need a spot in Record Keeper.

Given how much work was put into them and how wildly successful they are, it's hardly a "stupid" decision to include them in the mainline games. The mainline games are (by Square's own words) meant to hold to a certain standard of excellence for their own development. It has absolutely nothing to do with what type of game they are.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    Shadowfire
    I don't think it's impossible; I think I'm right on this side of possible. I probably would have gotten it on my second kill if I hadn't thrown out an unnecessary Defend and Protectga, I think the margin was that close. A part of me can't let that go.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    XI should be coming. I seem to remember seeing the Mage from Dissidia and XI is getting added can't remember her name

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Shantotto.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The orbs are okay, but I'm glad it was Power that's given for first time reward, and Black for mastery. If it were the other way around that'd really suck.

Cloud's goggles are really good, too. The more blind resistance, the better.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    If I don't care about Mastery, what do I need for Bahamut?

Shellga and Protectga, obviously, but would a Fenrir Overdrive RW serve me better than a Wall?
    Just checking since I think you came back to this game fairly recently--

Are you talking about the ultimate version from the bonus battles, or the standard one at difficulty 99?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    If I don't care about Mastery, what do I need for Bahamut?

Shellga and Protectga, obviously, but would a Fenrir Overdrive RW serve me better than a Wall?
    Just checking since I think you came back to this game fairly recently--

Are you talking about the ultimate version from the bonus battles, or the standard one at difficulty 99?

Ultimate

IKknkhU.gif
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    XI should be coming. I seem to remember seeing the Mage from Dissidia and XI is getting added can't remember her name

Good news!
    She is actually already in the japanese version.
    As a collaboration event reward.

Bluecyan wrote: »

Good news!
    She is actually already in the japanese version.
    As a collaboration event reward.
    Betting odds on whether we'll get the event then? 0:∞?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Shanttoto is a fun character in XI bit I really don't quite get why she has become the cross promotion mascot for the game.

There are better, more central, characters who would fit the bill better.

Still, I'd love to have her. Her trusts in XI are nuking gods.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    kind of want selphies ssb but im not venturing more than the 100 gem and 15 mythril so close to tactics

Do you think we'll actually get that FF2 banner? It seems among the games they usually skip.

Depending how much mythril we get over the month or march in addition to events, I may get to 400 by the time FFT drops, though I'm also planning on dropping some on the SSB celebrations for another chance at SG for Tyro.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Narbus wrote: »

Just advance/retaliate, protectga/shellga/ lots of double hits/tempo flurries... I kept him power and magic broken and it wasn't bad. Last half of the fight is more magical and NAT than physical so taunt is going to waste.

Sometimes he just straight up decides to be a massive dick and spam his AoE, and for those of us without a medica or decent armor, that's pretty much all she wrote.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    Narbus
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Back on track with the cult of three. Drew on the second banner and got Yuffie's shuriken and Planet Protector.

Knight_ShadowfireRius
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Javen wrote: »
    Do you think we'll actually get that FF2 banner? It seems among the games they usually skip.

It wasn't a crossover event in JP (III was) so we're getting it for sure

I'm not even 100 gemming the II banners because lol

Beasteh on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Gem purchase recovered.

Pulled an 11 pull 3 times

First two times, I got 22 piles of crap. I mean seriously, no 5-Star's. 2 4 star's.

Last pull was 9 3*'s, a rando 5 Star Dagger, and a FUCKING FUSION SWORD.

THANK YOU BASED DENA I LOVE YOU AGAIN AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO SPEND ALL THE MONEY. JUST 85 BUCKS. BUT STILL. It was going to be so, SO much worse. I was prepared to full whale. It's literally the only BSB I want outside of Lightning's and maybe Yuna's.

Transporter on
    Knight_38thDoeRiusA duck!Shamus
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Get down to a sliver of health before just faltering on mitigation and wiping. Y'know what? Why not. Pop a mythril, get back up with some bar and try again. Phoenix bonus is...HP. Fucking...

Okay same thing pretty much happens. Maybe I'll get better luck on a second mythril. HP! Goddammit!

Everything goes right this time though! Packing a load of HP, I get some pretty comfortable margins, manage to time my Fenrir RW's a lot better, get him down. 2 medals damage, 1 MEDAL ACTIONS.

1 medal dogs. Expert.

I'm done with this dick.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Bluecyan
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I'd spend two mythril to clear him. 3 power orbs is crazypants. I just don't think it would help since I'm so lacking.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I'm probably going to end up doing all the math before I even try Bahamut Sin. I'm hoping it works out that Nibelheim Nightmare will take care of 2 waves of Creepers, and then I only have to defeat the first wave by myself.

I will probably end up bringing a bunch of Samurai, maybe Tifa with Burning arrow, and then some kind of support and/or healer. There's too much to jam in a team of five.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

Defend does, but Skip Turn does not.
    Wait, how do you skip turn?!? (and is Swap something different from Skip Turn?)

So I'm probably going to end up doing all the math before I even try Bahamut Sin. I'm hoping it works out that Nibelheim Nightmare will take care of 2 waves of Creepers, and then I only have to defeat the first wave by myself.

I will probably end up bringing a bunch of Samurai, maybe Tifa with Burning arrow, and then some kind of support and/or healer. There's too much to jam in a team of five.

Nibelheim Nightmare will easily wreck one pack of dogs by itself with the summon damage alone, doing almost 18-20k of damage. The buff sadly only lasts for about 3 turns, but that's still enough to kill the current pack, but it'll be out before the next ones show up.

By Skip Turn I mean Swap.

180 Stamina spent on Bahamut SIN, first two attempts resulted in Clears, couldn't get the third done in 87 actions or less. My second attempt saved a bunch of turns but i wasn't counting, and I'm pretty sure i used 88, lol. Turns out both of those attempts went REALLY well, because the third attempt never gelled even after three hours of S/L.

Little bummed because I spent a bunch of Eggs on Sephiroth and a bunch of Power Orbs on Mirror of Equity and Flame Blossom, but they're good skills and I don't consider it a waste, really.

I put together a mage team and I might give it a spin on Monday, but it will need to RW for Boon and not Wall so I have some doubts.

On to the FF8 event!

• FryFry Registered User regular
    OK, so how do I Swap?

Title suggestion for when the VIII event launches. "Earn the Man With the Machine Gun! (Machine Gun Sold Separately)"

Too good not to do.

Fry wrote: »
    OK, so how do I Swap?

There's an arrow above the 2nd ability slot in battle that says 'skip' that leaves their ATB bar full and gives you control of the next person.

Fry
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

180 Stamina spent on Bahamut SIN, first two attempts resulted in Clears, couldn't get the third done in 87 actions or less. My second attempt saved a bunch of turns but i wasn't counting, and I'm pretty sure i used 88, lol. Turns out both of those attempts went REALLY well, because the third attempt never gelled even after three hours of S/L.

Little bummed because I spent a bunch of Eggs on Sephiroth and a bunch of Power Orbs on Mirror of Equity and Flame Blossom, but they're good skills and I don't consider it a waste, really.

I put together a mage team and I might give it a spin on Monday, but it will need to RW for Boon and not Wall so I have some doubts.

On to the FF8 event!

It's sort of ridiculous because not only do you have to do a ton of damage, but you have to do a ton of damage to enemies with defenses that are among the highest of anything fought so far outside of gimmick fights. You can't just have good hones and get the actions medals, unless those hones are of 5* skills, because you need good enough offensive gear to be able to finish the fight fast enough. I only really ran out of ability uses on Red because I was using an R3 MBD and an R2 FB, and that was fine for the other ultimates.

Hopefully the future fights aren't tuned like this.

Savant on
    I think this fight is the one that they changed action medal requirements afterwards? Or some point soon.

Bahamut SIN has 800 DEF and 1004 RES. So silly.

This discussion has been closed.