Options

JRPG thread: save the drama for yo mama

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    :(
    Welp, I'm guess I'm done with X.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    :(
    Welp, I'm guess I'm done with X.

Aw what happened?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I like XCX

But if I were to describe each part of it to someone, they would likely come to the conclusion that I hate it

This is the most accurate description of that game.

I enjoyed it.

But some stuff was "bwuh?" and then other parts were downright bad and poorly designed to baffling degrees.

I've never had such drastically mixed feelings about a game before.

Like if I talk about it with anyone I'll just go on a tirade of all sorts of bad things and they'd be like "ew that doesn't sound great"

To which I would say "I liked it though! But would probably only recommend it to a very specific subset of people"

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I got XCX, I'm still on the prologue of downloading 15 gigs of data though. Not very exciting so far.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Trails in the Sky is a game that I have never seriously looked at just because the shorthand for it is TITS

But

I saw that the in-game sprites look like Harvest Moon 64 and the game has so much good word of mouth that I grabbed it on GOG

Will I regret this? Possibly

So you know how in some RPGs, some npcs will comment on recent major plot events? It's like that, but it's like EVERY npc, on EVERYTHING you do. Not just a few lines either; you get entire conversations with back and forth. On a fairly frequent basis! If you like JRPG towns, this is your jam.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I like pretty much everything about XCX.

I'm only like 30ish hours in but I've had little to no problems with any of it. Maybe because I'm so heavily in the jurpy camp, but it all pretty much clicked for me right out of the box.

The single time I found the game frustrating was looking for some electric blue tentacles. Because I'd never stumbled over the area at night and that seems to be the only time they spawn.

Solution was I can just buy monster parts for tickets at the console in the barracks anyway. So it basically resolved itself til I could ask if anyone knew where they were for my own interest.

Most quests havent been that bad about stuff though. Even the supposedly obscure stuff needed for the shell license I already picked up while wandering around doing other stuff.

I can understand why people don't like x or y design choices but for me it's been pretty great all the way down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    I started playing ios the world ends with you

It's got hell of style

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

I'm only like 30ish hours in but I've had little to no problems with any of it. Maybe because I'm so heavily in the jurpy camp, but it all pretty much clicked for me right out of the box.

The single time I found the game frustrating was looking for some electric blue tentacles. Because I'd never stumbled over the area at night and that seems to be the only time they spawn.

Solution was I can just buy monster parts for tickets at the console in the barracks anyway. So it basically resolved itself til I could ask if anyone knew where they were for my own interest.

Most quests havent been that bad about stuff though. Even the supposedly obscure stuff needed for the shell license I already picked up while wandering around doing other stuff.

I can understand why people don't like x or y design choices but for me it's been pretty great all the way down.

i'm probably gonna come back to it today since I have the whole day off, or at least try to

that said I don't think its issues have anything to do with ones affinity for jurps

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options

i'm probably gonna come back to it today since I have the whole day off, or at least try to

that said I don't think its issues have anything to do with one's affinity for jurps

Affinity is one thing.

Every single complaint I've read has been in several other games though so I've already dealt with them a few times

By the process of having played so damn many, I guess I've just gotten used to dealing with it. The second I saw other resources on the map I had mining probes on it and searched all the nearby areas for more. Grabbed every crystal I passed, poked every monster I saw (didn't know they showed up at night. Once I knew that I found a couple of others.) to get their data for drops and such

Basically keeping busy to stay ahead of any issues ahead of time because they were issues I'd run into before so I knew going in what to expect and it's just kind of part of the experience to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Bracing yourself for problems don't mean the problems ain't there, mon frere

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Your ability to shove aside the game's problems is probably more related to your ability to dig past bullshit to get at the stuff you like, or to compartmentalize parts of experiences so that the not-fun stuff doesn't matter as much

XCX's particular brand of bullshit is one I don't mind much; it's jsut the way I approach the games

And now I have an Ares 90 and I will have to try real hard to get as swole as this machine

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Bracing yourself for problems don't mean the problems ain't there, mon frer

I never said they weren't there, or that I don't recognize that other people have them.

I just expressed that I am so far down that god damn rabbit hole they don't even actually strike me as problems, because damn. I can't even see sunlight anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    I started playing ios the world ends with you

It's got hell of style

I'm glad you like it but... I so hate what they did to the combat system in the iOS port.

• Options
    Also I'm liking the gameplay when it's not "collect this many of X" or "Kill eight alien sheep."

Although one thing is I'm looking at what's probably necessary for min-maxing character builds and... I shudder.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Also I'm liking the gameplay when it's not "collect this many of X" or "Kill eight alien sheep."

Although one thing is I'm looking at what's probably necessary for min-maxing character builds and... I shudder.

It's really, genuinely not that bad if you just want to build an Ares 90 and call it done, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do

The chief thing is to beat the campaign first; from there, it's actually not hard so long as you know a few tricks and have some cash

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Ok, I can't see myself unequipping the G-Buster any time soon. Not only is it ludicrously powerful, but when I'm in car mode and I see that glowing sword strapped on the side I can't help but smile.

• Options
    so the bad news is i apparently turned the game off before beating the ch4 boss I was stuck on before

the good news is I get to do it again correctly without the pity level down option and not feel as bad about it

I bought I whole shitload of new gear and am doing a little grinding/class levelling up since I was just now able to go up to partisan eagle

goetia round 2: revengeance shortly

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I have 315 hours in XCX

It's alright

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    k i beat her legit this time but it was still pretty close because we just werent getting the heal prompts the longer it went on

the fact that i seem to be light on topples probably made that harder than it needed to be

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I have 315 hours in XCX

It's alright

I'm on the cusp of choosing between grinding out the rest of my affinity missions with characters I don't care about or not

Hrm

I mean I don't have Mia either and I hear she's cool

Also still need to do Alexa

But holy shit how many thigns have you managed to put together? I've been playing a third as much as you
    k i beat her legit this time but it was still pretty close because we just werent getting the heal prompts the longer it went on

the fact that i seem to be light on topples probably made that harder than it needed to be

Stagger will do in a pinch; Stagger, Stun, Sleep, and Topple (plus more probably) all interrupt bosses during their big attacks

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    there's no way to make a party member prioritize certain TP spenders short of taking all of their other ones off of their bars right

for example if I wanted lin to have used her topple more than she did that fight

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    You can tell her to focus on melee or range attacks, depending on which one that TP is; depending on how you want the fight to go more generally, though, you'll need to keep an eye on her TP level

Also try setting up your Soul Voices. You can stagger enemies with certain Soul Voice combos and then try your best to set up the conditions for that

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    i adjusted them after i took the ranged branch after commando but I'll need to take another look apparently

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Ugh, the scale of this game, it appeals to me on so many levels.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    What are people's thoughts on the Crystal Chronicles games? I've been playing Theatrhythm and it's reminding me that I wanted to play that back in the day, and now I see there's a bunch. Are they any good to play solo?

sig.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I hate them solo and I don't like them coop either but I know at least 2 people who really like them so maybe you will too
    They're mainly intended to be played with other people

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Well, I finished XCX chapter 5.
    Having it be the player that exposes the Memo bodies was really cool. I think it lost a bit of an impact that everyone is controlling a robot body.

Although their reasoning makes sense within the game.

I think it would have been a bit more interesting if you, the player, were the robot with a soul in this series. You were the Esmerelda.

Yukira on
  • Options
    I got my giant robot pants. Robot pants is strongest there is.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hey JRPG thread

If someone were to want to take a crack at the Yakuza series, what's a good place to start?

I have Yakuza 4 free from PlayStation Plus, and could easily acquire Yakuza 3 tomorrow for relatively cheap if need be

I mean, I could also probably get my hands on Yakuza 1 and possibly 2 if need be, I just need to know what a welcoming jumping-on point is

• Options
    I mean 4 has videos to get you up to date on the rest of the series.

• Options
    Awesome, I suppose I could just start on that one then, and if I dig it I can go backwards and check out the rest

Thanks

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    As far as I know 4 isn't connected to the older games so much so it's probably a good place to start anyway. You play as 4 characters, one of which is the main character from the first 3 games, while the other 3 characters are completely new so their stories have nothing to do with the old games.

Then if you like it you could probably check out 5 since that just came out and continues the stories for a bunch of characters in 4.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, 5 is kinda what kindled my interest here

I played a demo of either 3 or 4 a few years ago, and it was a pretty bad demo with really clunky combat, but I saw the Quick Look of Austin playing Yakuza 5 and it looked rad

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    5 has some pretty nice improvements from 4, the biggest is that there is no classic jrpg-style load into a "room" every time you go into combat. There is still loading time in 5, but it's pretty fast. The controls are also smoother, and the lighting is a good deal more sophisticated.

Yakuza 0 supposedly almost eliminates the transition from exploration to combat.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Yakuza 0 supposedly almost eliminates the transition from exploration to combat.

It does, on the PS4 version at least. You can try the free demo.

Shit is literally instantaneous.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Man I'm thrilled that we are getting 0.

It's a prequel so it's nice to know you can go in completely fresh, it looks beautiful, it's in the 80s, and when you beat up guys money flies around

It's pretty much the perfect game

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Bummer we're not getting that one till 2017

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Here's what I kinda don't get though

Yakuza has always been described to me as "like Shenmue, but better"

Same director, same kind of mentality of wanting to drown the player in Japanese culture and everyday life in between its epic gang story

Same PUBLISHER

So why, exactly, when they're cranking out Yakuza titles left and right, did it take them so long to announce Shenmue 3? And why crowd-funded? And why were fans so desperate for a new Shenmue when they've got this newer, more prominent spiritual successor that gets sequels on a regular basis?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Because Shenmue was a story that was left unfinished is why so much noise was made. Cliff hangers are a bitch.

From a business standing shenmue just didn't do great. Yakuza always appealed to more people.

With that in mind, I recently replayed 1 - 3 and I still think they are enjoyable despite their age. I'd in fact suggest going there first. I started there and even I occasionally missed the stuff added later. I dunno if they'd mechanically hold up if you started at 4.

Regardless it's an amazing series.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yakuza 4 freaks me out a bit because there's a character in it who, from certain angles, looks exactly like SilverWind

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.