Options

JRPG thread: save the drama for yo mama

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yakuza and Shenmue don't share the same director.

The games are very similar on the surface, but the execution of just about everything is pretty different.

But the biggest difference is budget. Yakuza games are made on a tight budget and schedule. And they make money. Shenmue 1 and 2 were anything but.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hmm, for some reason I thought Yakuza was a Yu Suzuki joint

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yakuza is at least 1000% more Shirtless Manly Soap Opera than Shenmue.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    do you know where I can find some sailors

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I had Shenmue 2 on the OXbox

I got really distracted by Lucky Hit and never ended up finishing it

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    XCX really lets you throw yourself in the deep end once you can leave the city.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    I had Shenmue 2 on the OXbox

I got really distracted by Lucky Hit and never ended up finishing it

The Yakuza games have about 100x the number of mini games than Shenmue did. Y5 even has Taiko Drum Master. Only 3 songs, but still. And a complete Virtua Fighter 2 machine that I THINK you can play online.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    another important factor

is fuck Shenmue

• Options
    Yakuza 4 seems pretty fuckin' cool so far

Combat is a little wonky, especially when it comes to picking up items to use in battle

Other than that, I'm really digging this

• Options
    Oh no

There's a golf minigame in this and it's basically just a somewhat anemic Hot Shots Golf game

Oh no

• Options
    Off the top of my head there's also: Darts, karaoke, ping pong, batting cages, shogi, UFO catchers, and the hostess management sim.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone playing/played Persona Q? Finally picked up a copy myself and made it so far to the third floor of the first dungeon. The game's pretty good so far though I worry that I'm gonna really screw the pooch now that I got the Velvet Room available for basic fusions.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

PARKOUR!

PARKOUR!

PAR--

*combat noise as a Level 50 monster spots and ends me instantly as I'm leapfrogging around the cliffs of Primordia*

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    another important factor

is fuck Shenmue

Sounds like somebody found those sailors.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

PARKOUR!

PARKOUR!

PAR--

*combat noise as a Level 50 monster spots and ends me instantly as I'm leapfrogging around the cliffs of Primordia*

Cliff Parkour has actually allowed me to get around things to get to quest mobs I'm looking for.

That then proceed to stomp me into the ground.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Anyone playing/played Persona Q? Finally picked up a copy myself and made it so far to the third floor of the first dungeon. The game's pretty good so far though I worry that I'm gonna really screw the pooch now that I got the Velvet Room available for basic fusions.

It's a very easy dungeon crawler. It's hard to screw it up. And as for fusion, you always have the compendium.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    so in XCX are the class progressions actually improvements in some way or just a different set of arts and stuff

for example I'm on partisan eagle right now and the next one after that's arts look underwhelming unless I'm just flat out wrong/there's some other reason to take it

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    so in XCX are the class progressions actually improvements in some way or just a different set of arts and stuff

for example I'm on partisan eagle right now and the next one after that's arts look underwhelming unless I'm just flat out wrong/there's some other reason to take it

The classes after it basically build more arts for those weapons.
    So it's basically Partison Eagle + more arts

edit, also fuck yeah Yakuza 5!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    oh ok they just add on to the existing ones

that is much better, i thought they were replacing

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Once you learn an art, you can always use it as long as you have that weapon equipped.

Which is why mastering tier 3 classes to be able to use their weapon in any class is a big deal. You master all six, and then go back to Drifter for the five skill slots.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    ohhhh

if I actually like how this style plays and don't really care to optimize that hard, is that fine to ignore?

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    ohhhh

if I actually like how this style plays and don't really care to optimize that hard, is that fine to ignore?

You can.. Though you'll still want to go back to drifter for the added skill slots.

You will also want to dig up a few affinity missions because sniper and javelin get some really nice extra skills from them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fortunately, some of those are actually required to get

But unfortunately the best javelin art is kind of fiddly

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Yukira wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

PARKOUR!

PARKOUR!

PAR--

Cliff Parkour has actually allowed me to get around things to get to quest mobs I'm looking for.

That then proceed to stomp me into the ground.

you know, I went to school with a guy named Cliff Parkour

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    ohhhh

It is 100% fine to ignore

Though it's also super satisfying when you get it going

Each style is about equally viable, though some skills from other classes can help support the weapons you like

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    There are also gradients of optimization

Like, unless you're using longsword and dual guns, you're not perfectly optimized

But there's also just "I want to use these weapons that aren't the aforementioned, how can I best do that"

Like I've got a Dagger build that I like a lot that is heavily support based

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I'm building toward an equivalent build with Dual Swords and Dual Guns; will try to see how it works out in comparison soon enough

If nothing else, having Side Slash means I never need to use any Arts: TP Gain augments like the standard for the ether longsword build

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    overwhelm seems like a really strong art

pretty satisfying button to press

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I HEART YOU

• Options

It's the only thing that makes Lance decent as a primary weapon

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Commander Vandham is one of the strongest JRPG designs I've seen in a long time. Everything about this guy works for what they are going for.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I also like a lot of the sniper arts for the debuffs they can inflict.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Maddoc wrote: »

It's the only thing that makes Lance decent as a primary weapon

I was gonna try it since they look cool and overwhelm does a lot of damage and is enjoyable to press a lot

general combat question: is it worth waiting for the secondary cooldowns on arts where the bonus is more damage, or is it better to keep pressing those buttons (exception being if you have a topple set up or something)

there's probably a secondary cooldown reduction build for builds like javelin stuff I could do since most of their secondary effects are just more damage

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    There are multiple skills that make your secondary cooldowns much shorter, and also your regular cooldowns when used as part of melee combos (which is just a melee art followed by any other art)

Secondary cooldowns tend to be worth waiting for

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    So I just reinstalled Final Fantasy Record Keeper today, a game I have told people I think is not very good and didn't enjoy too much.

Simply because the latest event added Rikku as a recruitable party member.

See, Square? I will play games I know are bad if you put Rikku in them.

Do you want me to buy the next Dissidia, Square?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Pretty bad transphobia in Yakuza 4

*sigh*

Things were going so well

EDIT: And upon further digging, it was even worse in Yakuza 3

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    There are multiple skills that make your secondary cooldowns much shorter, and also your regular cooldowns when used as part of melee combos (which is just a melee art followed by any other art)

Secondary cooldowns tend to be worth waiting for

I find that it's a case-by-case basis. I tend to care more about Soul Voices, but there are some arts I will wait for, especially if they give a tension boost.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    So I just reinstalled Final Fantasy Record Keeper today, a game I have told people I think is not very good and didn't enjoy too much.

Simply because the latest event added Rikku as a recruitable party member.

See, Square? I will play games I know are bad if you put Rikku in them.

Do you want me to buy the next Dissidia, Square?

But Dissidia is good.

Just way to grindy if you're trying to do some of the late/post game stuff.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone got some advice for early Persona fusing in Persona Q? I'm up to the third floor of the first dungeon and I'm almost at my 14 Persona limit.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yakuza is at least 1000% more Shirtless Manly Soap Opera than Shenmue.

And it's amazing.

I just finished 5 last night.

I was snapchatting random scenes to my friends to thoroughly confuse them about what sort of game I was playing.

Was p great.

This discussion has been closed.