As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

18485878990100

Posts

  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    That's a big bundle of games with warts that may in fact be worth your time. Despite it having a lot of rough edges, I kind of enjoyed playing through Mars War Logs. Same with Bound By Flame. Pixie loves BBF without the caveats.
    Actually I also played through Yesterday and enjoyed that plenty as well, without having to include a BUT in there about some jank.
    Stuff like Blood Bowl can be a lot of fun once you again get around the parts that aren't so smooth.

    Edit: The selection pack doesn't seem to include much that the $15 tier doesn't though.

    akajaybay on
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    So, this is Starward Rogue.

    I don't know much about it, but it looks like a mech-bullethell-roguelike. I also know it's by Arcen Games, the guys that did Bionic Dues, which seems to get a decent amount of love around here. And then today I read that they ran out of money and are gonna have to lay off most of their staff.

    Now, I'm not a guy that feels that anyone owes a business anything, and I'm certainly neither a super-fan nor a hater of Arcen. It's pretty clear that they mismanaged their money on an overly ambitious project (not this game, but another one, see the blog post), and this is a shitty month to release anything, between Winter Sale Wallet Fatigue and excitement for new AAAs on the way. That said, I feel bad for them, especially after all this heavy midlife crisis "death of dreams" talk, and reading that guy lay it out so honestly is, well, sad. So I'ma buy this when I get home later today.

    The rest of you, do with this information as you will.



    *edit* GDI Akajaybay.

    That sucks, but like...it's January guys. It's a terrible time to release new games, especially if your distribution platform is Steam and Humble. I'm sitting here wondering whether I can afford to buy a game I really want that's currently in my "justifiable purchase" price range because I just dropped several hundred dollars on games I primarily gave away.

    I still have like seven games I haven't even installed yet, let alone played. From this sale. Add that to the 100 odd outstanding and...well.

    Plus it's a really crowded market. Probably too crowded, frankly. If you don't have both the game making chops and the business chops, the market is going to chew you up and spit you out. It's sad that it happens to good people, but eh. Life is coming through. Maybe it wants to take you somewhere better.

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is REALLY pretty. Dialed down to Medium (with High textures and fancy hair effects and motion blur off), it's definitely a match for TR2013 on much higher settings and running fine on my machine, so those of you with powerful rigs will be in for a treat.

    I'm only just under an hour in, but so far it does seem that the "more of the same" comments are accurate. Which is a very, very good thing given how good TR2013 was.

    akajaybay
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So, after reading so much about it, I tried the Life is Strange demo. It's not exactly my kind of game, but I can see how people enjoy it; it's like taking the older concepts that drove point and click games and adapting them to more modern mechanics and play styles.

    I feel like my wife might actually enjoy it. She's more of a narrative adventure game person than I am. I'm generally more action adventure.

    Edit: I wanted to commend folks here though; you made the game interesting enough to at least try it, which is less than I'd probably do, and even if I'm not interested in owning it, per se, I did enjoy what little of the mechanics and story I got to interact with (time travel is a favorite story conceit of mine). It's great to have a place that broadens my horizons. :biggrin:

    Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is REALLY pretty. Dialed down to Medium (with High textures and fancy hair effects and motion blur off), it's definitely a match for TR2013 on much higher settings and running fine on my machine, so those of you with powerful rigs will be in for a treat.

    I'm only just under an hour in, but so far it does seem that the "more of the same" comments are accurate. Which is a very, very good thing given how good TR2013 was.

    I'm closer to breaking with every post like this. If you could see me now, you'd see a guy shaking in his seat, grinding his teeth with one eye twitching. Like that scene in Roger Rabbit when he's trying to resist singing "Shave and a Haircut".

    EBaUXsx.jpg

    Jazzcooljammer00KoopahTroopahStolls
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie Registered User regular
    Oooh, for a buck, nab that humble bundle for Final Exam. Great crazy fun! I'd love more people to have it and maybe some co-op mayhem could happen. :)

    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

    Avatar artwork is "Toys" by Anna Ignatieva
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    God damn Rise of the Tomb Raider is a looker. Might be one of the best looking games currently on PC.

    Actually attempted to take some screenshots but for whatever reason Steam Overlay isn't working. Oh well.

    Corpekata on
    vamen
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie Registered User regular
    Wait, no working Steam overlay?

    That's... that's actually a dealbreaker for me on the "play this game" list. I hope if that's a universal problem it's fixed quickly.

    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

    Avatar artwork is "Toys" by Anna Ignatieva
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, after reading so much about it, I tried the Life is Strange demo. It's not exactly my kind of game, but I can see how people enjoy it; it's like taking the older concepts that drove point and click games and adapting them to more modern mechanics and play styles.

    I feel like my wife might actually enjoy it. She's more of a narrative adventure game person than I am. I'm generally more action adventure.

    Edit: I wanted to commend folks here though; you made the game interesting enough to at least try it, which is less than I'd probably do, and even if I'm not interested in owning it, per se, I did enjoy what little of the mechanics and story I got to interact with (time travel is a favorite story conceit of mine). It's great to have a place that broadens my horizons. :biggrin:

    Life is Strange is definitely for anyone who's a narrative adventure game person.

    My copy of the physical limited edition arrived today, funnily enough. Nice little package. I'm intrigued by a concept art image in the art book depicting what's presumably a scene that never made the final game:
    A bandaged-up Max in a hospital gown, in the middle of a street, about to be struck by a flying school bus hurled by the tornado.

    EDIT: Actually, @Kalnaur, since I already have the game - Do you want the steam code from my physical edition for your wife? I'm pretty sure it should work without the disc.

    Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    JazzKalnaurHyphyKezzyIolo
  • UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Wait, no working Steam overlay?

    That's... that's actually a dealbreaker for me on the "play this game" list. I hope if that's a universal problem it's fixed quickly.

    Which game was this?
    EDIT: Nvm, i just used my eyes >.<

    UseR2006 on
    "I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png


  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Wait, no working Steam overlay?

    That's... that's actually a dealbreaker for me on the "play this game" list. I hope if that's a universal problem it's fixed quickly.

    It appears it's an issue of sorts for more than a few people. A simple "overlay" search on the Steam forums for the game brought up enough results and possible fixes (Anti-Virus possibly blocking the game, Fullscreen vs other modes, etc). Primary thing I saw at a quick glance was that the overlay only seems to work at the moment in Fullscreen, not windowed borderless, but at least one person had the overlay work, but if they tried to screenshot, the game black screened, but that was a single dude.

    Essentially, issues, but they at least appear bypassable for the moment unless/until they fix it.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Overlay and screenshots in RotTR are working fine for me.

    Not a spoiler:
    28346ACD80856902DB6C47A22BCECC99C9D22DEC

    Jazz on
    IoloKoopahTroopah
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    (time travel is a favorite story conceit of mine). It's great to have a place that broadens my horizons. :biggrin:
    Life is Strange does not let their time travel go to waste either. They use it in a lot of different ways throughout the story that keeps things pretty interesting.

    akajaybay on
    JazzWerewolf2000adHyphyKezzySoundsPlush
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Man I've been beating the Starward Rogue drum for days now. It's fucking awesome.

    Sometimes I wonder why I even write posts.

    Eat at Arby's.
    I love you Arcen. : (

    CroakerBC
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm missing something with all these Arby's references.

    But the constant mention of them is making me sad I can no longer just go out and grab a couple of beef n' cheddars.

    Pixelated Pixie
  • PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    $1 tier is an absolute steal for Space Run alone.

    And Final Exam included in the $1 tier looks like it could be fun co-op for some FNG times.

    The sad part about that bundle is I pretty much have everything I'm interested in. And I haven't actually played ANY of them.

    i had that same exact problem with the firaxis bundle last week. i already owned almost all of them

    vvWzuWW.png
    I don't always vorpal blade, but when i do it goes snicker-snack.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    (time travel is a favorite story conceit of mine). It's great to have a place that broadens my horizons. :biggrin:
    Life is Strange does not let their time travel go to waste either. They use it in a lot of different ways throughout the story that keeps things pretty interesting.

    Truth be told, if the narrative was just about 25% . . . faster, I'd be looking for it on a sale for the time manipulation mechanic alone. But it feels more deliberate, and just not my speed (literally).

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I feel bad for the Arcen games folks, but its not the kind of game I usually play or am any good at. I wouldn't have bought it either way.

    It looks real cool for folks who like that style though.

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    (time travel is a favorite story conceit of mine). It's great to have a place that broadens my horizons. :biggrin:
    Life is Strange does not let their time travel go to waste either. They use it in a lot of different ways throughout the story that keeps things pretty interesting.

    Truth be told, if the narrative was just about 25% . . . faster, I'd be looking for it on a sale for the time manipulation mechanic alone. But it feels more deliberate, and just not my speed (literally).
    Yeah I'm not gonna try and tell you it's somehow also action packed. It's generally best absorbed at a slow pace looking around at everything, talking to everyone. It does have tension & big events etc, but it's not like a Telltale game where you're going to be quick timing through a fist fight or running down hallways. But as far as narrative driven adventure games go it's one of the best.

    akajaybay on
    JazzWerewolf2000adHyphyKezzySoundsPlushSumanai
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Overlay and screenshots in RotTR are working fine for me.

    Not a spoiler:
    28346ACD80856902DB6C47A22BCECC99C9D22DEC

    Pretty!

    That shot reminds me of Dark Souls.
    Jazz wrote: »
    I'm missing something with all these Arby's references.

    But the constant mention of them is making me sad I can no longer just go out and grab a couple of beef n' cheddars.

    Nihilist Arby's Twitter, it's pretty good.

    By good, I mean depressing.

    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

    steam_sig.png
  • PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    and by depressing, you mean acurate

    vvWzuWW.png
    I don't always vorpal blade, but when i do it goes snicker-snack.
    Jazz
  • tacticalheadachetacticalheadache Registered User regular
    Jeez. Getting pretty dark in here.

    Lighten up, people! :)

  • destroyah87destroyah87 Registered User regular
    Jeez. Getting pretty dark in here.

    Lighten up, people! :)

    Ok, let's tell some jokes.

    What do you do if you're stuck on a boat without a cigarette lighter and want a smoke?

    Answer:
    you throw another cigarette overboard and now the entire boat is a cigarette lighter.

    steam_sig.png
    PetesalzlPolaritieElvenshaeWerewolf2000adHounbloodatonementHyphyKezzyKalnaurBurnageDarkPrimusRoyceSraphimMNC DoverStollsTeeMandarleysamMudzgutf3rret
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    So, this is Starward Rogue.

    I don't know much about it, but it looks like a mech-bullethell-roguelike. I also know it's by Arcen Games, the guys that did Bionic Dues, which seems to get a decent amount of love around here. And then today I read that they ran out of money and are gonna have to lay off most of their staff.

    Now, I'm not a guy that feels that anyone owes a business anything, and I'm certainly neither a super-fan nor a hater of Arcen. It's pretty clear that they mismanaged their money on an overly ambitious project (not this game, but another one, see the blog post), and this is a shitty month to release anything, between Winter Sale Wallet Fatigue and excitement for new AAAs on the way. That said, I feel bad for them, especially after all this heavy midlife crisis "death of dreams" talk, and reading that guy lay it out so honestly is, well, sad. So I'ma buy this when I get home later today.

    The rest of you, do with this information as you will.

    Ugh, bummer about Arcen. Bullet-hell is really not my cup of tea, but I'm good for a copy I guess:

    signature.png

    Flash giveaway so folks who don't win can still pick up a sale copy of their own if so inclined.

    Blammo - @mts wins!

    Buy more copies of a game no one had ever talked about previously and certainly not @Drake who is feeling sad that no one reads his posts even though everyone reads his posts they just can't always buy the awesome games he talks about!

    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    JazzjclastElvenshaeHiT BiTakajaybayPixelated PixiebloodatonementKarozHyphyKezzyan_altRoyceSraphimMNC DoverDrakeStollsTalus9952
  • PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    how are a plum and a bunny rabbit similar?
    they are both purple.




    ...i mean... well you know, except for the bunny rabbit.

    vvWzuWW.png
    I don't always vorpal blade, but when i do it goes snicker-snack.
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Wait, no working Steam overlay?

    That's... that's actually a dealbreaker for me on the "play this game" list. I hope if that's a universal problem it's fixed quickly.


    I had to reboot Steam. Achievements and whatnot weren't working either. So if it doesn't show achievements in the library tab, just reboot steam.

    Pixelated Pixie
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Oooh oooh joke time!

    Knock knock
    Who's there?
    To
    To who?
    It's "to whom?"

    steam_sig.png
    JazzPolaritieKarozHyphyKezzyKalnauran_altRoyceSraphimchrisnlStollsMudzgut
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Here's another one of those. Also a short term one. Ends in three hours.
    signature.png

    destroyah87JazzPetesalzlPixelated PixieIoloHiT BiTbloodatonementKarozHyphyKezzyEd Grubermanan_altRoyceSraphimMNC DoverElvenshaeArdentStollsMudzgutTalus9952Brutal J
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Jeez. Getting pretty dark in here.

    Lighten up, people! :)

    Ok, let's tell some jokes.

    What do you do if you're stuck on a boat without a cigarette lighter and want a smoke?

    Answer:
    you throw another cigarette overboard and now the entire boat is a cigarette lighter.

    No one ever laughs at this, but it's my favorite joke. I think you have to visualize is well for it to be funny. And it might not really translate well in text, I have no idea.
    Anyway:
    There were two guys walking through a wood one day. After a while they came upon a big hole in the middle of the wood and they peered over the edge.

    "That looks deep", one said, "Let's throw something in there."
    So they went and found a pebble, tossed it in and listened...and listened...nothing. No sound at all.
    "Wow, that's deep, get something else."
    They found a big rock and threw it in and they listened...and listened.
    Nothing
    "That's really deep, let's find something bigger."
    They found a small tree and both of them lifted with all their might and UPROOTED the tree. They slowly brought it over to the hole and, with a great effort, pitched it in. They listened for a while...nothing.
    Amazed, they sat there discussing how deep it must be when a moment later they heard something in the bushes. As they looked toward the sound, suddenly a goat came ROCKETING out of the trees straight at them and then dove right down into the hole.
    They were shocked!
    They talked about the amazing thing they had seen and could make no sense of it, when a moment later a man in farmer attire comes running out of the woods.
    "Boys, excuse me....have you seen a goat anywhere around here?"
    Looking at each other for a moment, one spoke up and said, "sir, I'm sorry to tell you this but we just saw your goat jump down this hole and kill itself."
    The farmer looked relieved and replied, "that couldn't be my goat, my goat was tied to a tree."

    vamen on
    PetesalzlPolaritieHyphyKezzyKalnaurSir CarcassRoyceSraphimMNC DoverElvenshaeDyasAlureStollsTeeMancB557Mudzgutf3rret
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says: 'No, she went of her own accord.'

    May have heard it wrong.

    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    darleysam
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says: 'No, she went of her own accord.'

    May have heard it wrong.

    Hrm.

  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    So, this is Starward Rogue.

    I don't know much about it, but it looks like a mech-bullethell-roguelike. I also know it's by Arcen Games, the guys that did Bionic Dues, which seems to get a decent amount of love around here. And then today I read that they ran out of money and are gonna have to lay off most of their staff.

    Now, I'm not a guy that feels that anyone owes a business anything, and I'm certainly neither a super-fan nor a hater of Arcen. It's pretty clear that they mismanaged their money on an overly ambitious project (not this game, but another one, see the blog post), and this is a shitty month to release anything, between Winter Sale Wallet Fatigue and excitement for new AAAs on the way. That said, I feel bad for them, especially after all this heavy midlife crisis "death of dreams" talk, and reading that guy lay it out so honestly is, well, sad. So I'ma buy this when I get home later today.

    The rest of you, do with this information as you will.

    Ugh, bummer about Arcen. Bullet-hell is really not my cup of tea, but I'm good for a copy I guess:

    signature.png

    Flash giveaway so folks who don't win can still pick up a sale copy of their own if so inclined.

    Blammo - @mts wins!

    Buy more copies of a game no one had ever talked about previously and certainly not @Drake who is feeling sad that no one reads his posts even though everyone reads his posts they just can't always buy the awesome games he talks about!

    thanks @Iolo!
    This looked interesting.

    camo_sig.png
    DrakeIoloKarozStolls
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    A rabbi, an imam and a priest walk into a bar.
    The bartender asks "Is this some kind of joke?"

    You know what isn't funny: Somewhere in the last week Firaxis moved Xcom 2 to Feb5 for Europe. WTH.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Damn, sad to hear another developer apparently going under. I think I have a few of Arcen's games and never actually played any of them. :(
    Elegy is great!

    It's probably my favorite Amorphis album.
    can't not think of it when I see the word "elegy"

    Same here. It came out during the beginning of my deep dive into various metal subgenres. Such a great album.

    Sir Carcass
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    A rabbi, an imam and a priest walk into a bar.
    The bartender asks "Is this some kind of joke?"

    You know what isn't funny: Somewhere in the last week Firaxis moved Xcom 2 to Feb5 for Europe. WTH.

    Hasn't that always been the release date?

    steam_sig.png
    PetesalzlEvmaAlsarDarkPrimusStabbity Style
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    A rabbi, an imam and a priest walk into a bar.
    The bartender asks "Is this some kind of joke?"

    You know what isn't funny: Somewhere in the last week Firaxis moved Xcom 2 to Feb5 for Europe. WTH.

    Hasn't that always been the release date?
    I could have sworn it was the 8th at some point?

    M A G I K A Z A M
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    The Book Unwritten Tales 2 continues to be a quite worthy followup to the original. Check them both out sometime if you like adventure games.
    Blout, the right side of a two-headed ogre, taught me a joke in that game recently.
    Two statues stand in a park facing each other for years and years. One statue is of a young man, the other a young woman. Both are naked. Blout likes jokes about naked things.
    One day a god sees the statues and declares that for an hour the statues can come to life and get down off their plinths to explore the world around them. The statues quickly disappear into the underbrush, rustling the bushes giggling and making a bunch of noise. Later, one of them exclaims, "We've only got ten minutes left!" The other replies "All right, it's your turn. I'll hold the pigeon while you crap on it."
    It was better than most of the other jokes I learned around town for a particular task.

    PolaritieHyphyKezzyJazzElvenshaeStolls
  • PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says: 'No, she went of her own accord.'

    May have heard it wrong.

    that makes less sense than my joke.

    vvWzuWW.png
    I don't always vorpal blade, but when i do it goes snicker-snack.
This discussion has been closed.