As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Oh my...

jT8QCUV.jpg

@DaxterMax you are extraordinarily generous, and I say that knowing full well in what company I stand. Thank you for the Fallout 4 Season Pass, which is wonderful despite spelling the end of any hope I might have had to play other games someday...

Seriously, thank you so much. <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    Man Call of Duty really has turned into a weird parody of itself. It was the FPS series that didn't do cybersoldiers and doomsday lasers.

You know, as someone who hasn't really played COD in years, I'm super cool with that. The alternative is shit like Battlefield Now-We're-Shooting-Russians-and-Chinese! (or Battlefield Celebrating-Cops-Shooting-at-Suspects-Because-That's-Totally-Not-Societally-Tone-Deaf-At-All). Turns out making up conflicts that are obstinately based in the real, contemporary world gets really dumb.

Alls I'm saying is Battlefield 21xx goddammit give me a reason to give a fuck again.

Oh sure, I always thought the series was a bit full of itself with all of the nationalism and real life tales of guts, glory and honor. You know, all that cowadoody crap. I've always vastly preferred space marines and all that sort of stuff. Let me shoot plasma rifles at zombies on Mars and I'm happy.

Drake on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Are you able sell thing on the market if you don't have authentication enabled? I just got a foil holiday card from doing the queue and it'd suck to have to settle for turning it into gems.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I would have enjoyed modern shooters if Activision had not driven the series into a rut with the yearly cycle, the cross marketing with gun manufacturors, mountain dew and doritos, not to mention straight up cannibalized the multiplayer base with that server business.

They had to break out of a rut.

Now which of the Legendary Enchantress DLC is worth it?

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Oh my...

jT8QCUV.jpg

@DaxterMax you are extraordinarily generous, and I say that knowing full well in what company I stand. Thank you for the Fallout 4 Season Pass, which is wonderful despite spelling the end of any hope I might have had to play other games someday...

Seriously, thank you so much. <3

Speaking of Ori, I introduced my daughter to it last night. She was an emotional wreck during the beginning. Such a great game, I really need to play it more.

Also, sorry for my lack of being around. The family got an X1 and, surprisingly, I've been playing a lot of Destiny. I really wish it would come to PC. Such a fun game to play. Also, I can't decide if this Steam Sale is lackluster or if it's just the lack of dailies that took away the sense of wow.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Anyone willing to proxy a couple gifts for me? My wife was abandoned by both of her Secret Santa matches on Reddit Gifts and I'd like to get her a couple of Steam games, but without them being directly from me.

Did somebody say proxy?

Contact Nobody, you can find him on a lot of friend lists around here.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Ori, I introduced my daughter to it last night. She was an emotional wreck during the beginning. Such a great game, I really need to play it more.

That is almost mean as hell damn.

(Wait until you get to the end though. It's the worst.)

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I bought two more games today: Grim Fandango Remastered and Turmoil.

I loaded up Turmoil just to see if I liked it. I played it for 5 hours. It's a pretty laid-back game, but I kept finding myself wanting to set up and dig in one more area.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9EggXaw8qc

Probably worth checking out if the trailer appeals to you. The game looks slightly different now; they polished up some of the art. And it's worth noting it's still in early access.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    @Iolo is the bestest and helped me gift games to my wife to make up for her deadbeat Santas.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Wow!

FekTm0b.jpg

@Shadowfire totally unnecessarily sent me Rebel Galaxy for conspiring to send his wife presents. As if conspiring to send his wife presents was not reward enough on its own. :)

This game is getting rave reviews - Pirates in space is a pretty compelling summary. Thank you very much for the thoughtful present. I hope the gifts we sent your wife make it through to her. <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Are you able sell thing on the market if you don't have authentication enabled? I just got a foil holiday card from doing the queue and it'd suck to have to settle for turning it into gems.

If it makes you feel better, everyone on Steam has basically been farming holiday cards for over a week, and thus even foil holiday cards aren't worth that much.

@Shadowfire Why don't you just give us her Steam profile? I'm sure games will...find their way to her.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    So my mom isn't a gaming newbie. On the other hand she's not particularly skilled. But she is persistent. I remember I had the original LoZ on the gamecube and my mom would come over to our apartment and play through it because she'd never beaten it on the NES. When she finally did it they show you how many deaths you had and holy cow. I told her I was surprised Link didn't see her coming and shut the game back off.

Anyway I recommended Banished to her because she used to like to play games like Age of Empires, etc. She likes it, but she's not doing well and the messages she's been sending me are hilarious:

"Welcome to "I don't understand Banished." How do I get the people to use the firewood? Isn't that what the wood cutter is doing? Too late. Everyone froze to death. Surrounded by wood."
    "It is 81° and these people are still freezing. They just want to die"

"I'm on easy. I'm not on the easiest weather. The one up from the bottom. Next time I'm playing easy with hellish weather and see how long those babies last"
    "These people are doomed. Three of them don't have any tools. Shouldn't they just go take the dead guys tools?"

"My new town is called Doomsboro. Probably prophetic"
    "Where the hell did they get banished to?!? It's 15°"
    "I know what happened to Roanoke"

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    So my mom isn't a gaming newbie. On the other hand she's not particularly skilled. But she is persistent. I remember I had the original LoZ on the gamecube and my mom would come over to our apartment and play through it because she'd never beaten it on the NES. When she finally did it they show you how many deaths you had and holy cow. I told her I was surprised Link didn't see her coming and shut the game back off.

Anyway I recommended Banished to her because she used to like to play games like Age of Empires, etc. She likes it, but she's not doing well and the messages she's been sending me are hilarious:

"Welcome to "I don't understand Banished." How do I get the people to use the firewood? Isn't that what the wood cutter is doing? Too late. Everyone froze to death. Surrounded by wood."
    "It is 81° and these people are still freezing. They just want to die"

"I'm on easy. I'm not on the easiest weather. The one up from the bottom. Next time I'm playing easy with hellish weather and see how long those babies last"
    "These people are doomed. Three of them don't have any tools. Shouldn't they just go take the dead guys tools?"

"My new town is called Doomsboro. Probably prophetic"
    "Where the hell did they get banished to?!? It's 15°"
    "I know what happened to Roanoke"

I want more of this.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    @Iolo deserves all that and more. He sent me Crawl while I was distracted playing some Final Fantasy. Still in Early Access but looks great, with amazing pixel art and animations. It also has the best boss in a game ever, I'll let you guess who it is! Many thanks! <3
    w6HAVEH.gif

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    af5ly1b.jpg

Thanks @Gear Girl, this looks right shmup my alley!
    GET IT?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

If it makes you feel better, everyone on Steam has basically been farming holiday cards for over a week, and thus even foil holiday cards aren't worth that much.

@Shadowfire Why don't you just give us her Steam profile? I'm sure games will...find their way to her.

I mean, as long as she's not getting Gabe Newell Simulator and Bad Rats.... http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198019333652/ ;)

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    12 is Better than 6
    Wild West Hotline Miami whose art style resembles hand drawn blue ink on white paper
    ss_608cdfe5405bad8ff60629c29b887ac6f81ef71c.600x338.jpg?t=1450232069
    ss_ee54ddd935af40c70ffdcebe7ed671ef16291ff8.600x338.jpg?t=1450232069
    ss_9c5ec3ac9a6510007ca80244ae61cd7402aee6ae.600x338.jpg?t=1450232069

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Hah, okay, well, I tried to cull the best from what she's sent me over the past couple of days (the bit about Roanoke kills me every time I read it, that's what I'm naming my next town) but let me see...

spoilered in case people don't care about my mom's Banished adventures
    Before what I posted above she was talking about the game in a group Facebook chat I have with all my family. So this is when she JUST started play

"We had a harsh winter. Everyone died
    I'm starting over"
    *conversation ensues where I'm trying to help her with the game and various New Year's Eve talk*
    "I should have paid more attention to the food tutorial. I was happy when I figured out how to get the people to do stuff
    I see why they all got banished. They were slackers"

"Ok I'm giving 12 new people a chance to survive"
    "If they are hungry it's their own fault. The place is lousy with deer"

Mom: That's what I'm saying! They die even though we are lousy with food!!
    Me: Mom people won't start families unless you build them houses
    My sister: Ha not true in real life

"I have 9 people left. Only one is old some are super young. I may start over again
    My forester is 84. There is a two year old living alone
    I could have a real going concern here if I had some more people. Maybe I could take on some refugees"
    (I explain about town halls and random nomad occurances)
    "Are nomads going to help out?
    I need workers not slackers
    Just coming around and eating my eggs"
    My sister: Does the whole banished conversation have to be in the group message?
    My brother: banished hasn't implemented a team chat feature yet, obvi

My brother complained about being snowed in today:
    Mom: At least you haven't died. All my banished people have died. It's always the freezing that gets them. (I complained that they starved while surrounded by food so they stopped doing that)"
    My sister: The cows are more resourceful than your people
    Mom: True. They manage to survive

Maybe I should just gift my mom hard games and collect all her remarks.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Reminder: cards expire tomorrow, and if you don't have the two factor authentication/mobile confirmation on trades, trades will be held after the cards expire.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Reminder: cards expire tomorrow, and if you don't have the two factor authentication/mobile confirmation on trades, trades will be held after the cards expire.

Hoping for one more chance in the morning to get the last card I need. Otherwise, it's morphin' time! (into gems)

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Anyone have thoughts on Tales of Maj'Eyal?

Is it like Stonesoup? is it good?

Got about a final 4 dollars left in the old wallet as soon as a few things sell and I want to spend it wisely before the sale ends.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So KOTOR update for the day, I went to Yavin, it was kind of boring. The Rodian there claims he has different stuff at different times so maybe I'll head back at some point. Went to Manaan, the first planet that charges you to land there every time apparently. Annoying. Apparently Jolee Bindo knows some folks, so I helped them out. Cleared the dude of the charges laid against him even though I knew he was guilty, does that make me a bad person? Probably at least a little. The Sith totally planted evidence anyway, so they framed him for the crime (even though he really did do it). I also saved a bunch of fish people from falling to the Dark Side, so maybe that'll balance things out on ye olde ledger.

The Republic is doing something stupid that is endangering the galaxy's medicine (kolto?) supply, and we can't have that. How else will characters in SWTOR shoot people with kolto missiles to heal them? Which is one of the more hilarious methods of healing I have heard of (if it's even true, never played SWTOR). Maybe whatever crazy dudes are down at the bottom of the sea will be more challenging than the losers from the Sith Embassy (seriously those guys need to start lifting or something, or at least if they weren't dead they could maybe do that). Three people, only two of whom are Jedi, murdered everybody in their embassy and they were helpless to stop us. Good thing murder doesn't give Dark Side points, or I'd be swimming in them (and I'm doing a goody two-shoes run because man I can't even bring myself to play Renegade in Mass Effect, much less outright Dark Side). I called it a night a little early and only murdered a few dudes and droids (and hoo boy is Jolee useful for killing droids!). I'll get the star map later, and at some point I should talk to the dude from the not-at-all suspicious message on that datapad.

Speaking of Dark Side stuff, I'm actually tempted to play through again once I finish, but go full Dark Side and see what those powers are like, also maybe start as a Scoundrel so I have enough skill points to repair HK-47 because he's pretty good without any repairs, I have to imagine he'll be awesome with his full capabilities. This is a decently long game, but it's enjoyable so I wouldn't mind playing it again. I might play through Light Side KOTOR 2 first though, if people are still interested in hearing my impressions of that game as I work through it as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ok Axiom Verge is really, really goddamn good.

• Options
    Anyone have thoughts on Tales of Maj'Eyal?

Is it like Stonesoup? is it good?

Got about a final 4 dollars left in the old wallet as soon as a few things sell and I want to spend it wisely before the sale ends.

Yeah ToME is pretty good. It has a static overworld similar to ADOM with randomized dungeons and towns scattered around. There's a ton of lore and stuff. The loot knob is cranked over to 11, and there is no resource grinding or identification minigames. This means the meat of the game is coming up with interesting builds and the tactical combat. All abilities, buffs, heals, powers, trinkets, doodads and whathaveyou all operate on cooldowns and/or regenerating power pools. The interface is good stuff, with classic roguelike controls or just simple point and click with lots of handy tooltips and context sensitive menus.

So not much like Stone Soup but good in its own ways and it shares some similar goals as far as playability goes. Once you learn the basics you generally feel like it's your fault when you die. It rarely feels unfair even when it's being really tough on you.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Was playing XCX, came up for air, and found a gift from @Gear_Girl!

913ploC.png

Unfortunately I must decline as I am currently not accepting gifts at this time. Thank you for the thought and I hope it finds a happy home elsewhere.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Finally cracked; went with Dark Souls 2, Fairy Fencer F, Ryse, and Alphadia Genesis. And then handed over my souls cash to the lady of the family.

Not a bad batch, I think.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I finished up undertale last night, as well as playing through the main objective of Grow Home.
    Both terrific games. Can't recommend them enough.
    Grow Home is SHORT, mind. Like 2 hours. But it's a really fun game to play. You're tasked with growing a beanstalk to reach your spaceship up in space. It's occasionally frustrating when you fall, and beyond growing the beanstalk there's not much to do beyond collecting crystals to expand your gear - but it's a fun little project that I would like to see expanded upon in the future.

Undertale deserves all the praise it's getting. A fun, unique approach to mixing storytelling and gameplay. I went "pacifist" so maybe it's different if you don't do that but i feel like that's the way you'll probably get the most out of it.
    I can't say anything about the story without giving away any of the twists, but plug through the first 40 minutes to get to the meat of it.

Next up I'm planning to work through Dying Light.

Quical on
    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Grow Home is wonderful. Legit one of my top 10 of last year.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Finally cracked; went with Dark Souls 2, Fairy Fencer F, Ryse, and Alphadia Genesis. And then handed over my souls cash to the lady of the family.

Not a bad batch, I think.

I'm just finishing up my first run through of Fairy Fencer F. It's from the same company that makes the Neptunia games, and the structure of the whole thing is very clearly the same - combat, quest system, exploration etc. It replaces the Nep games CPU transformations with 'fairize', where characters power up by stabbing themselves through the chest with their own weapons. Anyone who likes the Neptunia games and wants some more of the same sort of thing should enjoy it.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Which fallen enchantress dlc are worth it?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Alright i've got 3.99 left in the wallet. So far i've boiled it down to

-The Stanley Parable
    -Tales of Maj'Eyal
    -Tower of Guns
    -The Legend of Korra
    -Shadow Warrior

is there any other cheap game that I may be missing out on?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

Psychonauts is a dollar, Hard Reset is one forty nine, Ultima Underworld 3 Arx Fatalis is a buck and a quarter.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    So KOTOR update for the day, I went to Yavin, it was kind of boring. The Rodian there claims he has different stuff at different times so maybe I'll head back at some point. Went to Manaan, the first planet that charges you to land there every time apparently. Annoying. Apparently Jolee Bindo knows some folks, so I helped them out. Cleared the dude of the charges laid against him even though I knew he was guilty, does that make me a bad person? Probably at least a little. The Sith totally planted evidence anyway, so they framed him for the crime (even though he really did do it). I also saved a bunch of fish people from falling to the Dark Side, so maybe that'll balance things out on ye olde ledger.

The Republic is doing something stupid that is endangering the galaxy's medicine (kolto?) supply, and we can't have that. How else will characters in SWTOR shoot people with kolto missiles to heal them? Which is one of the more hilarious methods of healing I have heard of (if it's even true, never played SWTOR). Maybe whatever crazy dudes are down at the bottom of the sea will be more challenging than the losers from the Sith Embassy (seriously those guys need to start lifting or something, or at least if they weren't dead they could maybe do that). Three people, only two of whom are Jedi, murdered everybody in their embassy and they were helpless to stop us. Good thing murder doesn't give Dark Side points, or I'd be swimming in them (and I'm doing a goody two-shoes run because man I can't even bring myself to play Renegade in Mass Effect, much less outright Dark Side). I called it a night a little early and only murdered a few dudes and droids (and hoo boy is Jolee useful for killing droids!). I'll get the star map later, and at some point I should talk to the dude from the not-at-all suspicious message on that datapad.

Speaking of Dark Side stuff, I'm actually tempted to play through again once I finish, but go full Dark Side and see what those powers are like, also maybe start as a Scoundrel so I have enough skill points to repair HK-47 because he's pretty good without any repairs, I have to imagine he'll be awesome with his full capabilities. This is a decently long game, but it's enjoyable so I wouldn't mind playing it again. I might play through Light Side KOTOR 2 first though, if people are still interested in hearing my impressions of that game as I work through it as well.

Dark side powers are awesome and you should definitely pick some up or use them in your next play through. Once you max it out, force lightning can take out a bunch of enemies in one go, and choke is really useful when fighting other melee weapon users. Pick them up in a choke, then just strut over and cut them in half.

In my 10ish playthroughs I might have accidentally gone full on sith more times than I care to admit.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, thanks @UseR2006 for Grow Home! I've been really excited to play it ever since I heard Jeff talk about it on the GotY podcast! It sounds really good!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Woo, thanks @UseR2006 for Grow Home! I've been really excited to play it ever since I heard Jeff talk about it on the GotY podcast! It sounds really good!

Don't fall.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    @UseR2006 this book may be a dungeon, but my vengence will be like a gulag. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow...

lwwy633plkcw.png
    Seriously, thanks for this! I love CYOA on steam so this'll get a jersy in short order

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I was going through my purchases, and I realized the last time I paid full price for any Steam game was in June 2014, with Shovel Knight. I tend to limit myself to one or two full price purchases per year, and I'm not sure if that should even count since it was $14.99. I don't own a PS4 or Xbox One, so I had nothing to buy on those. I did buy the collector's edition of WoW: Warlords of Draenor that year, so I guess that was my one big purchase.

I didn't buy any full priced games in 2015, though.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Got HyphyKezzied! Thanks @HyphyKezzy

IY8jtzR.png

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Alright i've got 3.99 left in the wallet. So far i've boiled it down to

-The Stanley Parable
    -Tales of Maj'Eyal
    -Tower of Guns
    -The Legend of Korra
    -Shadow Warrior

I'm kind of having trouble deciding where to throw my last 10 bucks, myself. Azure Gunvolt is tempting because I'm a huge fan of the Zero games, but Shantae Pirate's Curse and Puzzle Strike are also quite interesting. Or finally actually getting my own copy of Necrodancer instead of being a filthy moocher.

But then there is also the Square bundle. Like, I've already beaten Tomb Raider, but Temple of Osiris looks like good fun and Gyromancer and Yosumin are good add-ons.

Hrmmmm. Anyone who has played Shantae or Gunvolt can weigh in?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

That is almost mean as hell damn.

(Wait until you get to the end though. It's the worst.)

URGH...i did that ending part this week. Who designed this thing?! In hindsight it's pretty dumb but ARGH. Seriously Ori did not need those escape sequences. Just give me boss fights.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
This discussion has been closed.